Max and O'Byrne called up

Habsfan24

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I thought with the call up of Halak the other day that put the Habs at their max roster position.

So sending down Grabo and calling up 2 players does not add up?

Unless someone else is going down, going on IR or being waived?

I could be wrong with the numbers though....

I could be wrong but I thought with the call up of Halak the other day that put the Habs at their max roster position.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the league is pretty leniant about letting teams field two goalies. I don't really notice teams sending people down when they have a goalie called up when a guy is gonna miss a few games without going on IR.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the league is pretty leniant about letting teams field two goalies. I don't really notice teams sending people down when they have a goalie called up when a guy is gonna miss a few games without going on IR.

I was not aware of that but it makes sense.

Thanks.

see this makes me made, most fans want these guys to start the year with us, but we go out and sign a couple ufa we didnt need, and now we bring up the young guy to make us better and we are stuck with a couple of ufa we didnt really need to sign and i think most people seen this coming.you shouldnt sign people just to sign people and we keep doing it year after year..

About ######ing time! We really need another big body on the blue line and Lapierre's grit will definitely help to wake up the boys!

Edited by Habsfan

see this makes me made, most fans want these guys to start the year with us, but we go out and sign a couple ufa we didnt need, and now we bring up the young guy to make us better and we are stuck with a couple of ufa we didnt really need to sign and i think most people seen this coming.you shouldnt sign people just to sign people and we keep doing it year after year..

I can kind of relate to this. I see no point in Smolinski (although hindsight is 20/20) but I would have resigned bonk to have someone in case the kids weren't ready. On the other hand, if we'd just started with kids and hit the same slump, how many of us would be angry and saying "we didn't sign anyone with experience" instead of being patient with the kids.

What I'd REALLY like to happen now. Waive Bouillon. Play O'byrne regularly. Bench Smoke and play Lappy. Give Lats more time on the first with Koivu and Higgins, leave the second line of Kosty Kovy Plex as is, and let them work their way out of it.

You have to cover your ass if these guys are not ready. This is a long term plan in which fans are looking for short term results.

What if they started the season with O'Byrne and Lapierre and they both stunk the joint out. Now what do you do? Rush somebody else up.

Brisebois and Smolinski were brought in to bridge the gap, very cheaply I might add. They have done an average to poor job, but at least Bob has options. Let's hope that these two are ready to go and are committed to the system and will make a difference.

The nice thing about these call-ups is that:

1) Lapierre is a right-hand shooter, meaning Ryder & Kostopoulos are not the only ones we've got, meaning Ryder can be scratched

2) Lapierre can play either C or RW, meaning Smolinski can be scratched

3) O'Byrne is a right-handed D, the only one we've got after Komi & Breezer, meaning Streit & Gorges don't have to play their off-side anymore.

4) O'Byrne can drop the gloves and take some pressure off Komisarek, who's been targeted too much lately.

I can kind of relate to this. I see no point in Smolinski (although hindsight is 20/20) but I would have resigned bonk to have someone in case the kids weren't ready. On the other hand, if we'd just started with kids and hit the same slump, how many of us would be angry and saying "we didn't sign anyone with experience" instead of being patient with the kids.

What I'd REALLY like to happen now. Waive Bouillon. Play O'byrne regularly. Bench Smoke and play Lappy. Give Lats more time on the first with Koivu and Higgins, leave the second line of Kosty Kovy Plex as is, and let them work their way out of it.

Bonk wanted more than a year. If late in the season they have no use for Smolinski they can waive him for minimal cost.

Let's hope the kids can play

THat is exactly what I'd do!

Let's just hope that Carbo reads this message Board.

O'Byrne!!!! I've been waiting for this since the rookie came in '06. Can't wait to see him play his first NHL game.

I didn't see a lot of video from camp before the season but I did see a few clips of O'Byrne really level some guys.

I hope he can bring this physical play up with him and fit into the lineup easily.

You have to cover your ass if these guys are not ready. This is a long term plan in which fans are looking for short term results.

What if they started the season with O'Byrne and Lapierre and they both stunk the joint out. Now what do you do? Rush somebody else up.

Brisebois and Smolinski were brought in to bridge the gap, very cheaply I might add. They have done an average to poor job, but at least Bob has options. Let's hope that these two are ready to go and are committed to the system and will make a difference.

you pick up Recchi....their guys like Brisebois and Smolinski poping up on waviers all the time, if it wasnt for bob i dont think Brisebois would even be in the nhl this year..i just like the young guy getting a shot and if we going bring somthing in we need first lines..we got so many great 2nd and 3rd line players..and with the cap now you got to save as much money as you can so you can make a big trade to make the team better.

you pick up Recchi....

Hell NO!!!

Like I said in the Recchi thread...he's too old(39 years old), he's too small(5'9" tall) and he's not as fast as he used to be. Plus he had a couple of decent season's lately mainly because he played with Crosby and Malkin. DO you see anybody of that caliber in Montreal? I certainly don't!

I didn't see a lot of video from camp before the season but I did see a few clips of O'Byrne really level some guys.

I hope he can bring this physical play up with him and fit into the lineup easily.

I saw him for the first time at the prospect camp in the summer of 06, and the guy was a beast then. Now he's got a full season of AHL & Calder Cup Playoffs under his belt, so I'm sure he'll be alright. :)

I could see him lining up really well next to Bouillon on the team's third pairing.

Hell NO!!!

Like I said in the Recchi thread...he's too old(39 years old), he's too small(5'9" tall) and he's not as fast as he used to be. Plus he had a couple of decent season's lately mainly because he played with Crosby and Malkin. DO you see anybody of that caliber in Montreal? I certainly don't!

i dont want recchi, but my point was if we didnt sign Brisebois and Smolinski, and the young guy didnt work, we could find guy just as good as the ufa we sign, on wavier or making small trades...i want the young guy to get first shot... and stop signing guys just to say we sign someone.

I saw him for the first time at the prospect camp in the summer of 06, and the guy was a beast then. Now he's got a full season of AHL & Calder Cup Playoffs under his belt, so I'm sure he'll be alright. :)

I could see him lining up really well next to Bouillon on the team's third pairing.

I thought O'byrne and Hammer looked really good together in the preseason. I was actually really surprised when he didn't make the team. Him and D'Agostini.

I thought O'byrne and Hammer looked really good together in the preseason. I was actually really surprised when he didn't make the team. Him and D'Agostini.

My only concern there is who will help insilate Breezer? Maybe Markov stays with him, but I fell they should go back to the Marky-Komi pairing. Hamrlik was playing well with Brisebois, so I'd stick to that and then have O'Byrne on the third pairing, at least to start off.

The guy who really loses out on all this looks to be Gorges. I thought he's played well recenetly. I suppose we'll see. Knowing Carbo, we might see Ryder and Markov in the press box against the Bruins (I sure hope not though, at least in Marky's case).