Rogers Sportsnet

Quebecois

Sorry but I felt the need to rant right now. I sat down at 8 to watch the ceremonies for the final game at Yankee Stadium. At 8 oclock Sportsnet is showing a preview for the 2008 Ryder Cup...an event that ended today. At around 10 after 8 they decide to switch to the ESPN coverage of the game and lo and behold, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford et al have already been introduced.

This is not an isolated incident. The lack of professionalism involved with this channel blows my mind on a daily basis. If they didnt have the rights to so many baseball games I wouldn't ever have to tune in.

I just cant fathom how a network can be this bad. If I had time I would go on.

end rant.

I have nothing to add to the rant but would like to concur.

The single redeeming quality of Sportsnet is Martine Gaillard. TSN and The Score are leagues ahead of Sportsnet.

:wub:

I think my new favourite will be Leah Hextall though if she ever lands a full-time gig with TSN.

Is she any relation to the NHL Hextall family? Can't say that I ever saw her on TSN yet.

I agree that Don Taylor and Mike Toth are two of the worst on-air stooges in television.

Is she any relation to the NHL Hextall family? Can't say that I ever saw her on TSN yet.

Yep, she's Ron Hextall's cousin. She's only done some spot-work on late editions of Sportscentre so far (first was two weeks ago and her latest was last week) but she's creating a buzz in the blog community.

I agree that Don Taylor and Mike Toth are two of the worst on-air stooges in television.

Goes way beyond just those two. As mentioned before, Martine Gaillard is probably the only one of their personalities that I respect, just sucks she got strapped with a horrible supporting cast.

Just goes on and on

Does anyone ever enjoy/care what Nick Kypreos has to say?

Jamie Campbell is the worst mlb announcer i've ever heard.

Even without the horrible personalities that occupy the network, they would still be terrible thanks to mistakes like the one i mentioned last night. I also recall watching connected and them repeatedly promising to go to the 9th inning of a potential no-hitter (think it was Gavin Floyd). Instead of going to it, they showed a few more highlights, then said they would have it on the other side of the break. After the break they flip to it as if it is live, all the while the failed no-no had ended 5 minutes ago.

I'm gonna throw Roger Millions in the mix as well for horrible Sportsnet people. He was the Flames local TV play by play guy but apparently he's gotten some kind of promotion where he'll do nationally broadcasted games.

So instead of Sportsnet West viewers suffering, all of you get to suffer. He brings "homer" to a whole new level.

Pros:

Martine Gaillard

UFC rights

Blue Jay and most MLB rights (playoffs)

Hockeycentral (even though it doesn't compare to the Spin)

Cons:

Don Taylor

Every other annoucer

Connected

HD isn't always HD

Most Homer station there is. Kypreos (sp) loves the leafs, and any NHL game you watch the announcers are biased

Pros:

Hockeycentral (even though it doesn't compare to the Spin)

The Spin has been "renamed" (in other words, cancelled), and is now called Hardcore Hockey Talk (same name as the 6:00 radio show on HSR and simulcast on TheScore. It actually debuts tonight, I'll be curious to see if it's the same format as the 6:00 one or not...

The only pro of this station is Bob McKeown's Fan 590 talk show.

All other hockey coverage is garbage (Chris Cuthbert? Nick Kypreos?)

The only pro of this station is Bob McKeown's Fan 590 talk show.

All other hockey coverage is garbage (Chris Cuthbert? Nick Kypreos?)

Bob McCowan is sweet, but thats Fan 590, not an snet personality really.

Snet can only dream of having Chris Cuthbert on the roster.

Bob McCowan is sweet, but thats Fan 590, not an snet personality really.

Snet can only dream of having Chris Cuthbert on the roster.

Yeah, Cuthbert is on TSN. Probably one of CBC's dumbest moves was firing him. Best play by play guy in Canada.

Yeah, Cuthbert is on TSN. Probably one of CBC's dumbest moves was firing him. Best play by play guy in Canada.

I've never gotten used to his voice. Annoying. Guys like Bob Cole and Joe Bowen have their faults - quite a few, actually - but possess great announcing voices.

Ah. You're right, I'm not thinking of Chris Cuthbert. But the old guy with short white hair that's on the panel with Kypreos. Can't remember his name.

Ah. You're right, I'm not thinking of Chris Cuthbert. But the old guy with short white hair that's on the panel with Kypreos. Can't remember his name.

Bill Watters. Yeah, he's awful. He has his own radio program in Toronto, going up against McCown, and failing miserably.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, now I have a major beef with this stupid network.

I check the listings on my digital cable to see when the Red Sox game starts only to find out Sportsnet West isn't showing it. At all. Instead I'm getting treated to a pre-season game between the Oilers and Flames.

Now if it was the regular season they might have a case here but come on. Very few people ever watch pre-season hockey and this is playoff baseball! Playoff baseball!

And of course I can't even listen on the radio because The Fan will be doing the god damn Flames game! AHHHHHHHHH!

Now I've got try and find a stupid stream of the game somewhere. What a bunch of BS

Edit: Holy shit, I just realized the Rays game was on right now. It's not even on TV here! I'm getting that stupid radio show. What the ######, sportsnet!?

Edited by jetsniper

I pay for all 4 Sportsnet channels and I GET BLACKED OUT ON THE WESTERN CANADIAN NHL TEAMS.

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT.

I send them constant complaints and all I get is the stupid message of "Thanks for emailing us, we value your opinion. Sorry about the inconvenience but keep in mind we offer other solid programming such as junior hockey, MLB, NBA and much more!"

The worst part is after like 11 PM, everything they show is garbage. I don't give a rat's ass about the Hooters Miss Universe pageant. No one likes a tease AND DON'T BASE A WHOLE FREAKIN' PAGEANT AROUND THAT CONCEPT!

I pay for all 4 Sportsnet channels and I GET BLACKED OUT ON THE WESTERN CANADIAN NHL TEAMS.

I send them constant complaints and all I get is the stupid message of "Thanks for emailing us, we value your opinion. Sorry about the inconvenience but keep in mind we offer other solid programming such as junior hockey, MLB, NBA and much more!"

The worst part is after like 11 PM, everything they show is garbage. I don't give a rat's ass about the Hooters Miss Universe pageant. No one likes a tease AND DON'T BASE A WHOLE FREAKIN' PAGEANT AROUND THAT CONCEPT!

I'll trade you tonights coverage.

Edited by jetsniper

Alright, now I have a major beef with this stupid network.

I check the listings on my digital cable to see when the Red Sox game starts only to find out Sportsnet West isn't showing it. At all. Instead I'm getting treated to a pre-season game between the Oilers and Flames.

Now if it was the regular season they might have a case here but come on. Very few people ever watch pre-season hockey and this is playoff baseball! Playoff baseball!

And of course I can't even listen on the radio because The Fan will be doing the god damn Flames game! AHHHHHHHHH!

Now I've got try and find a stupid stream of the game somewhere. What a bunch of BS

Edit: Holy shit, I just realized the Rays game was on right now. It's not even on TV here! I'm getting that stupid radio show. What the ######, sportsnet!?

digital cable, shouldnt you get all of the snet stations?

That is definitely poor though, this is playoff baseball from a network that calls itself the home of baseball...not to mention that it is the marquee series of the first round.

In their defense that is an NHL issue and not an Snet issue. Snet only has regional broadcasting rights for those games, and aren't allowed to broadcast them across Canada. I think the primary reason is to protect NHL Centre Ice but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering what sunday is going to look like for baseball fans though. Snet is broadcasting the NFL on Sunday at 4 on all networks.

Edited by Quebecois