The Galchenyuk Debate

Commandant

Galchenyuk should be traded as part of a package for an upgrade at C

The Montreal Canadiens management and fan base are aware that the opportunity has arrived to be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup this year.  With Goaltender Carey Price holding on to his title as the best in the world, solid and rugged Shea Weber providing leadership and steadiness in front of Price on Defence, and one of the leagues top scorers in Captain Max Pacioretty, a talented core is in place to make it a realistic dream for all the Habs faithful.  However, what was once unheard months ago, has lately circulated out of the mouths of a small and growing number of fans: trade Alex Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk might be general manager Marc Bergevin’s best trading piece.  Could trading Galchenyuk strengthen the teams chances for winning the Cup?  There are a few reasons to make this argument.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/08/trade-alex-galchenyuk/

vs

Galchenyuk is a key part of the Present and Needs to be Kept

A true contender needs a number one centre. Alex Galchenyuk is still just 22 years old (though he will be 23 within the week). He has improved each of his five years in the NHL, and is scratching the surface of his potential. While it has been argued that Galchenyuk is not a true number one, consider the evidence here.

Read More  

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/09/alex-galchenyuk-key-montreal-canadiens/

Fun stuff! There is no question where I stand - that is, with the KEEP GALCHENYUK position.

The real issue facing this team up front is not Galy's dodgy faceoff stats. It's the fact that Plekanec is no longer a top-6 player, and that Danault is probably not a legitimate top-6 option either. The task is therefore to acquire a #2 C by the deadline, not to move the only elite young player in the entire organization.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fun stuff! There is no question where I stand - that is, with the KEEP GALCHENYUK position.

The real issue facing this team up front is not Galy's dodgy faceoff stats. It's the fact that Plekanec is no longer a top-6 player, and that Danault is probably not a legitimate top-6 option either. The task is therefore to acquire a #2 C by the deadline, not to move the only elite young player in the entire organization.

Since we are so often in sync, its clear I wrote the second article. 

I agree Plekanec seems to be more of the issue here. His defensive prowess has even taken a hit recently. 

Personally I think Galchenyuk needs to work on things but has tons of upside and it would have to be a darling deal to separate from him.

He needs to get his ass back in the gym though and get his conditioning back up for sure.

I agree 100% with everyone here...the correct course of action is to acquire a very good #2 center and see if we can dump Plex on a floor team by bundling him with something enticing.  People seem to have forgotten just how well Galchenyk was playing before the injury, and that he will surely return to that form when he gets his timing and conditioning back.

10 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I agree Plekanec seems to be more of the issue here. His defensive prowess has even taken a hit recently. 

Personally I think Galchenyuk needs to work on things but has tons of upside and it would have to be a darling deal to separate from him.

He needs to get his ass back in the gym though and get his conditioning back up for sure.

His conditioning is fine.... Its as good as he's gonna get in a gym.

You can't replicate "game shape" in the gym.  He's just gonna have to play 10 or so more games to get it back. 

The biggest thing missing is the hands.  That goes the quickest and it needs to be 100% to produce at the NHL level. It will come with time though. 

I'm not saying it's a possibility, but what if such a deal included John Tavares (with a guaranteed contract signing)? After the trading of Subban, it's obvious there are no untouchables. Maybe Price, Patches (bargain contract), and Weber are the ones deemed untouchable. We've seen what happens when players fall out of favor with the staff, and I'm not sure they're sold on Chucky at this point.

I just don't think this is the "all-in" year for the Habs that many have proclaimed it to be. Thus, Galchenyuk should stay put.

25 minutes ago, huzer said:

I'm not saying it's a possibility, but what if such a deal included John Tavares (with a guaranteed contract signing)? After the trading of Subban, it's obvious there are no untouchables. Maybe Price, Patches (bargain contract), and Weber are the ones deemed untouchable. We've seen what happens when players fall out of favor with the staff, and I'm not sure they're sold on Chucky at this point.

I just don't think this is the "all-in" year for the Habs that many have proclaimed it to be. Thus, Galchenyuk should stay put.

Yeah, no one is truly untouchable. I think the question is more whether the Habs should be actively looking to move Galy as part of a "win now" philosophy.

I don't understand how this is not an "all-in" year. Our franchise defenceman will be 32 next year and has already shown hints of decline. Our franchise goalie will be 30 and has been injury-prone. Patches will be 29. Radulov, if you want to consider him part of the core, will be 31. Petry will be 30, Markov (still a major piece) will be 39. No matter how you slice it, the core of this team is now either in its prime or else tipping over into "career back nine" territory. Nor is there a massive wave of elite young prospects ready to take over. In other words, if this is not an all-in year, then the Montreal Canadiens are simply not serious about winning a Stanley Cup, period. The window is from 2017 to maybe 2021.

I have a hard time envisioning the future of this season. I just don't see how the team, as currently constructed, can be considered a Cup challenger. I like the team, and believe it to be better than their current slump indicates, but I've never been a good prognosticator when it comes to potential trades.

I'm usually quite optimistic, and I'm probably just being overly pessimistic after seeing this hot mess in person Tuesday night.

As far as the topic itself, I'm firmly in the keep Galchenyuk camp. I don't think trading him for an all-in this year will reap the rewards either this year, or in future years. As our only really elite young forward, I'd prefer he stay.

The problem is that our window for a serious cup run is closing faster than we think...its now or wait another 10 years...the Laffs will be formidable in less than two years, Tampa is having an off season but will be back next year...Boston is always in the mix..heck even Buffalo will be a much better team in a year or two.  i don't think Chucky will be traded but something has to happen.  i have to believe MB thought that Weber was the answer, but the real issue is at center, it has been an issue for years, and for some reason MB can't get a deal done... 

Toronto has no defence, that problem hasn't been solved.  Andersen is also an average goalie.  Nice forwards though. 

The only mix Boston is in, is the mix for their third straight year missing the playoffs. 

buffalo has no defence, and their forwards arent as good as toronto. 

The sky isn't falling. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Toronto has no defence, that problem hasn't been solved.  Andersen is also an average goalie.  Nice forwards though. 

The only mix Boston is in, is the mix for their third straight year missing the playoffs. 

buffalo has no defence, and their forwards arent as good as toronto. 

The sky isn't falling. 

i said in two years...

4 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

i said in two years...

They don't have the defence anywhere in their system.  Reilly is not trending as a number 1, and Gardiner is a #4, thats about it. 

Andersen is an average goalie now, and will be an average goalie then.  He's not bailing out a weak defence. 

Tell me where are they getting their franchise changing defenceman, when they do that, I'll worry about them being more than a pretender. 

but sure the Leafs will get better... teams like the Rangers, Washington etc... will likely be worse in two years, its the cycle.  Doesn't mean the sky is falling. 

No, but of course if for an elite player that makes sense, sure why not.

Sure, he is a key part but NO dosent need to be kept, same can be said as rest of roster or any prospect.

Just now, Commandant said:

They don't have the defence anywhere in their system.  Reilly is not trending as a number 1, and Gardiner is a #4, thats about it. 

Commandant (ur the best) but with all due respect the fan base has been hearing about the sky not falling for years...look at washington, not the greatest defensive team, albeit a very very good goalie, they simply outscore the opposition..something (under MT) we simply cannot do.   As for the leafs; with that young core of snipers, in a few years they will be scoring 3 per game (it can happen) and they will be contenders...i guess what i'm trying to say is - THIS season has everything going for the Habs...honestly the planets couldn't have aligned any better!!. think about it...tampa is out of it...boston is in a funk, detroit is out of the picture, laffs aren't there yet,  Sens will self destruct...i really feel this is the year where we can at least get to the finals...if MB doesn't see this then he's in a fog.  Get a top line center now...the fans know its going to cost a good player.  But we need to fill the gap...and maybe we surprise everyone and make a real run for it.  

Sure, try and win now, I don't disagree with that.

I disagree with the idea that the Leafs are going to be this unstoppable juggernaut in 2 years, that we won't be able to compete with.   They have flaws, like anyone. 

As I said in my article, another centre is needed, but its a largely lateral move to have a Duchene replace galchenyuk.  The only area improved is faceoffs and as shown by others the value of that is minimal.  If you have Galchenyuk on line one and Duchene on line two replacing one of Pleks/Desharnais role, then yes, you have improved the team a significant amount. 

Beaulieu, 1st round pick, one of McCarron/Scherback/Juulsen.... yup I'd do it in a second. 

5 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Commandant (ur the best) but with all due respect the fan base has been hearing about the sky not falling for years...look at washington, not the greatest defensive team, albeit a very very good goalie, they simply outscore the opposition..something (under MT) we simply cannot do.   As for the leafs; with that young core of snipers, in a few years they will be scoring 3 per game (it can happen) and they will be contenders...i guess what i'm trying to say is - THIS season has everything going for the Habs...honestly the planets couldn't have aligned any better!!. think about it...tampa is out of it...boston is in a funk, detroit is out of the picture, laffs aren't there yet,  Sens will self destruct...i really feel this is the year where we can at least get to the finals...if MB doesn't see this then he's in a fog.  Get a top line center now...the fans know its going to cost a good player.  But we need to fill the gap...and maybe we surprise everyone and make a real run for it.  

Pull the trigger now...OK will cost: A good young roster player (Gallagher and/or Beaulieu), #1 pick and a top prospect (Sergachev is it), or so combo of for that a #1 centre.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Pull the trigger now...OK will cost: A good young roster player (Gallagher and/or Beaulieu), #1 pick and a top prospect (Sergachev is it), or so combo of for that a #1 centre.

the fans got over PK (mostly) ...they'll get over whoever they package ...especially if it makes us SC contender this year and next...

1 minute ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

the fans got over PK (mostly) ...they'll get over whoever they package ...especially if it makes us SC contender this year and next...

The only reason they've been slightly over PK is due to his injuries. If he was playing healthy I doubt they'd be so quiet. 

2 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Not against it, but we know there is a very slim chance of happening and much more likely to add a rental forward or d in next two or three weeks and trading Galchenyuk would be very low on radar I would guess. 

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only reason they've been slightly over PK is due to his injuries. If he was playing healthy I doubt they'd be so quiet. 

agreed...but if the team starts winning again and looks like a serious SC contender, the fans will come around.  BTW, i did not like the PK - Weber trade (kinda bizarre move)  ...but Weber isn't the problem..