Aebischer Accepts Habs' Qualifying Offer

jordy11

Montreal goalie David Aebischer has accepted Montreal's $ 2 millions qualifying offer, LCN reports. The Habs had signed French goalie Cristobal Huet earlier in the day. But Gainey also said that a trade involving Aebischer in the week to come is a possibility. Aebischer said, after Montreal's elimination against Carolina, that he will not accept a back up role in 06-07. A trade to come?

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/sports/nouvelles/...626-092416.html

Edited by jordy11

Hopefully Aebi will get moved so he can be a #1 somewhere. Realistically speaking what teams need a goalie? Aebi paired with Zednick, Ribiero or possibly even Souray should help the current habs roster get someone back who can play right away.

Teams in need of a goalie:

Tampa

Florida? Is Auld the answer Keenan wanted to be a #1.

St.Louis: Are there young goalie's good enough.

Edmonton

LA may be looking

"Par ailleurs, le Canadien a aussi annoncé que David Aebischer a accepté l'offre qualificative de l'équipe."

It's in the story about Huet. The link is just posted twice by mistake, click the following for the Huet article, and it mentions Aebischer as well. Huet Signing

Aebischer said, after Montreal's elimination against Carolina, that he will not accept a back up role in 06-07. A trade to come?

I think even he knows a trade is forthcoming as Huet is the starter. Concentrate on a trade Bob Gainey. A scoring Center or a good defenceman prospect or both!

Anybody here knows if Gainey offered Ribeiro a qualifying offer? Bulis, Sundstrom and Simpson have not received one, but no news about Ribeiro...

Bob said all the restricted free agents got qualifying offers.

Ribeiro is a RFA for he got his offer.

Bulis, Sundstrom and Simpson are all unrestricted free agents. Those 3 aren't coming back.

Thanks for the info about Aebischer though :D

Hopefully Aebi will get moved so he can be a #1 somewhere. Realistically speaking what teams need a goalie? Aebi paired with Zednick, Ribiero or possibly even Souray should help the current habs roster get someone back who can play right away.

Teams in need of a goalie:

Tampa

Florida? Is Auld the answer Keenan wanted to be a #1.

St.Louis: Are there young goalie's good enough.

Edmonton

LA may be looking

Don't forget Detroit and possibly Ottawa...

By himself not alot but paired with either Zednik, Ribiero or Souray could land a decent Dman in return.

I don't think defence is what we are most concerned about, IMO. We need offence more than anything.

Let's say Gainey trades Aebischer...What value do you expect in return?

NOt much. ITs possible that Tampa could want him, he'll be cheap at $2 Million. BUt in return Montreal would have to take Fredrick Modin or Ruslan Fedotanko....not exactly what Montreal needs.

Packing him with Zednik or Ribeiro doesn't really solve anything either. Its not enough to bring a quality centre or defensman so therefore not worth. Aebischer and Ribeiro will be in the starting lineup come October

Package him with Souray and Zednik for Pronger. Assuming that the salaries even out, that trade could be worth Edmonton's time.

Then Aebischer would be backing up Roloson (as he would likely re-sign there).

By himself not alot but paired with either Zednik, Ribiero or Souray could land a decent Dman in return.

I would like to remind people that Raycrap brought in a top prospect like Raask for Boston, good goalies taht are not expensive have a pretty good value. A Modin is worth a lot, but not what we need.

We nned a good center or a good D. Preferable center, Ds are easier to find in this year's UFA market. In fact, the excess of them might allow teams to get them at a lower price vs. only having a few of them.

Package him with Souray and Zednik for Pronger. Assuming that the salaries even out, that trade could be worth Edmonton's time.

HUH?

You are trying to be funny with that trade I hope. That is what Leaf fans say, trade their average players for the other teams best players.

Try Markov, Pleakanic, Begin and a first rounder and you would be closer to what other teams are going to offer. This is why I say Montreal will not even offer anything as it is going to be ridiculous.

HUH?

You are trying to be funny with that trade I hope. That is what Leaf fans say, trade their average players for the other teams best players.

Try Markov, Pleakanic, Begin and a first rounder and you would be closer to what other teams are going to offer. This is why I say Montreal will not even offer anything as it is going to be ridiculous.

Souray is well-regarded throughout the NHL, and Abby's value will depend on teams' assessment of him; I don't think he is universally viewed as a dud. Having played Colorado ad nauseum, the Oilers will have a firm view on him one way or the other, but it could be a positive view. So I think the weak link in my offer is Zednik, that piece of crap. If Plecanek is a better bet, then sure.

Souray is well-regarded throughout the NHL, and Abby's value will depend on teams' assessment of him; I don't think he is universally viewed as a dud. Having played Colorado ad nauseum, the Oilers will have a firm view on him one way or the other, but it could be a positive view. So I think the weak link in my offer is Zednik, that piece of crap. If Plecanek is a better bet, then sure.

My only point was that Edmonton is going to get some really decent offers. Compare what is reported the Leafs have to give up. Kaberle and Steen + ? I do not know what the plus is which is probably a first round choice. Kaberle is signed for four more years and Steen is inexpensive and should get 50 points. The draft choice, who knows...

I believe Souray has one year left and Zednik has one year left as well as Abby. Yes both Souray and Zed are good players but are older and not in the calibre of player a younger Edmonton team would look at. Plus all three are free agents at the end of 2007. An established team like Detroit or Philly would look at these players if they had holes to fill fro a playoff run.

My only point was that Edmonton is going to get some really decent offers. Compare what is reported the Leafs have to give up. Kaberle and Steen + ? I do not know what the plus is which is probably a first round choice. Kaberle is signed for four more years and Steen is inexpensive and should get 50 points. The draft choice, who knows...

I believe Souray has one year left and Zednik has one year left as well as Abby. Yes both Souray and Zed are good players but are older and not in the calibre of player a younger Edmonton team would look at. Plus all three are free agents at the end of 2007. An established team like Detroit or Philly would look at these players if they had holes to fill fro a playoff run.

I heard on TSN that Edmonton amazingly asked for just Kaberle + Steen and then the Leafs were trying to swing a deal of Kaberle + Stajan + (difference between Steen and Stajan). Kaberle may be signed for 4 years but his contract is so big that that's a bad thing. Plekanec > Steen. Souray's contract > Kaberle's contract. Aebischer takes away any doubt that the Leafs offer can possibly be the better one. Throwing in Aebischer is like throwing in a 1st as that is the minimum return we can get for him.

I'm not saying that Aebischer, Souray and Plekanec will land us Pronger but I am saying that it's closer to the market offers than people think. Assuming what I heard on TSN was correct of course.

Absolutley Pronger wants to go back to the US. He's made no bones about it. He might consider Toronto but thats it. He wants to be back closer to St. Louis, because thats what his wife wants. He wouldn't be happy in Montreal. I'd almost rather have Todd Bertuzzi. Atleast he'd play wherever he was traded and not ask for a trade. Remember I said ALMOST