Latendresse Is Too Strong For Junior - Koivu

KoZed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060927...S01/609270774/0

Nice read. Lot of things seemed to have happened in last night's game

- Koivu said Lats was too strong for junior and had NHL abilities.

- Komisarek came to Lats' defense when Lightning players tried to go after him

- O'Byrne got in a fight and said he liked to fight but couldnt do it in College

- Ribs had a good game with Sammy and Kovy, and had a nice hit on 6'5" Alexeev

- Cuts will be done a 9am this morning

it's nice to see veterans having good words for the rookies.

I remember koivu being enthousiast about Michael ryder and last year he had good words for perezhogin. nice going catpN K

I trust that Koivu's assessment is ballpark accurate.

Nevertheless, I still don't believe that it would be best for him to start the year in Montreal. Also, to go back to the Q would be wasteful. To me, likely the best thing for him would be to go to Hamilton for some seasoning - not necessarily for the season but for a few months anyway. He could be a \n injury call-up for a while and, if things work out right, then he can come up full-time.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I trust that Koivu's assessment is ballpark accurate.

Nevertheless, I still don't believe that it would be best for him to start the year in Montreal. Also, to go back to the Q would be wasteful. To me, likely the best thing for him would be to go to Hamilton for some seasoning - not necessarily for the season but for a few months anyway. He could be a \n injury call-up for a while and, if things work out right, then he can come up full-time.

HE CAN EITHER PLAY IN THE NHL OR THE Q

no AHL he is too young!

Come on now. If Lats was a baseball player right now he'd be a 4A player too good for AAA not there yet on the MLB.

So what to do? Bring him up. Its the only best option. Because he needs to get some NHL experience. Prospects can't toil in the minors forever. They need on the job experience just like the rest of us.

He's the Apprentence is what I'm saying. I think he'd learn more in Montreal then in the minors.

Latendresse should play a regular shift on the 3rd line with Plekanec and Jonhson and on the 2nd PP unit as an agitator in front of the net.

If we get injuries on the top 2 lines or if somebody needs a lesson he can play a couple of games on the top lines.

Bottom line is that Latendresse isn't a Superstar yet and that he could learn a lot more in the NHL than in the Q ... If people would stop looking at him like a savior for a minute, they could realize that he could give us a decent season (15g - 20a - 35 pts) with a lot of hits and that would be better than Bulis and Zednik put together.

In this whole talk about one less year of RFA status in case Lats stays with the big club, I think there's one thing everybody's forgetting here (or maybe someone mentioned it and i just missed the post):

How would you feel about a team that, regardless of you showing NHL-caliber play, sends you back to the junior so they had an extra year of your services for less $$$? Latendresse may feel slighted and it may influence his decision to resign with us once those seven years expire. I know it's years ahead, and it's a local kid and all that, but you can't discount the possibility.

Gainey on the other hand has made a point of treating players well and representing the organization with class, even overpaying for players within the organization (see: Ribeiro, and even Koivu) to make them feel wanted and trusted. I know he's a businessman first, but this is a huge part of his MO in doing business, and what the players out there are starting to appreciate, not just in Montreal.

I could be wrong, and if I am we'll know soon enough, but I really think that if he shows that he deserves a place on the big club he will stay, regardless of his status.

Edited by redondo

Whatever happens, his childhood team is the Habs. If I was in his shoes, would I be angry if I was cut? Surely, but that would never compare to the day I'd play for the Habs, a dream come true.

Anyway, I think he'll make the team, we don't really have his type of player on our team and I think that's the main reason why he's going to stay.

Latendresse knows he wont be called GUI GUI GUI anywhere else! so true to tha habs he must remain!

and also he knows Kosty wants it too and like many others who have been waiting far longer than he has ... So I think yes he will feel crappy but he should be able to live with it! and like Chips last year he will go to the Hamilton as soon as the voltigeurs are kicked out of the playoffs....

I would like to see both Kosty and Lat in (it must be in the plans to get the cup) but for that we would need to find new homes for some vets and thats what I fear will happen if these kids keep playing better in the next two games!

HE CAN EITHER PLAY IN THE NHL OR THE Q

no AHL he is too young!

That's strange... I heard on TSN or SPORTSNET TV that Toronto was sending Tlusty down to the Marlies, their AHL franchise.

Was that an error on their part, my ears part (far apart) or have the rules been changed?

That's strange... I heard on TSN or SPORTSNET TV that Toronto was sending Tlusty down to the Marlies, their AHL franchise.

Was that an error on their part, my ears part (far apart) or have the rules been changed?

Euros under 20 can go to the AHL but North Americans can't until 20

Euros under 20 can go to the AHL but North Americans can't until 20

Only if they were drafted from Europe, which is where Tlusty was drafted from. If they were drafted out of one of the three junior leagues, they have to go back to junior.

I'm starting to believe Lats will stick this year, maybe Kots gets sent down and promised first callup status, or maybe forcing a trade. Lats, if he sticks, will be given heaps of ice time the first 10 games, as he can still be sent down then.