Aebisher Rocked!

dumpSamsonov

I must say that I was always thinking that Huet would be the #1 guy for the Habs but after last night I'm not so sure. Definetely Aebisher's best game as a habs. He was spectacular. I have to change my thinkiing of him as being no more than trade bait after last night. Not saying Huet was bad but I never expected a performance like that from Aebischer. It's great to have 2 goalies that good but it brings up an interesting problem for Bob. Do we really need 2 goalies of that caliber when one of them could bring a nice return? And if you trade, which one? Should be interesting to see if Aebi can follow up on a performance like that. I guess Melanson had a good influence on him during training camp.

Your annointing of Aeby is as premature as your dumpsamsonov name :lol:

I really think that the Habs are best to go with a Fernandez-Roloson format. Both are good goalies; neither is a clear cut #1 all-star calibre goalie. So give 'em each 40 games or so. Not only does this give us breathing room in the event of -God forbid - injury to one of them, but it also gives us flexibility under the salary cap.

You're all missing my point :?- I had Aebisher pegged as definetly the worse of the 2 goalies and that he would be traded if not this season then next BUT after last night I am impressed with his play especially how he shut the door in the 3rd. That's the type of clutch goal tending that sets a good goalie apart from the wannabe. I'm seeing Aebi in a new light and I think that if he continues like this then we definetly have options on which one to trade. I'm not saying dump Huet and go with Aebi. Far from it. Seemed like I was being clear but I guess not :blink:

As for my name, well it's kind of a joke but it's grounded in some fact as well. Fact is Samsonov was terrible in last year's playoffs for Edmonton. Fact is he has shown nothing in preseason or the 2 games he has played for the Habs. And fact is he has been injured a lot and may never be the player he used to be. I mean Boston gave up on him for some reason.

The joking part of my nick is that if he does stink it up for the Habs then I can say that I called way before the fact but if he plays well then I'll just say I was being ironic, like calling a big guy tiny. :lol: It's all in fun. Don't take yourselves so seriously habs fans :king:

You're all missing my point :?- I had Aebisher pegged as definetly the worse of the 2 goalies and that he would be traded if not this season then next BUT after last night I am impressed with his play especially how he shut the door in the 3rd. That's the type of clutch goal tending that sets a good goalie apart from the wannabe. I'm seeing Aebi in a new light and I think that if he continues like this then we definetly have options on which one to trade. I'm not saying dump Huet and go with Aebi. Far from it. Seemed like I was being clear but I guess not :blink:

As for my name, well it's kind of a joke but it's grounded in some fact as well. Fact is Samsonov was terrible in last year's playoffs for Edmonton. Fact is he has shown nothing in preseason or the 2 games he has played for the Habs. And fact is he has been injured a lot and may never be the player he used to be. I mean Boston gave up on him for some reason.

The joking part of my nick is that if he does stink it up for the Habs then I can say that I called way before the fact but if he plays well then I'll just say I was being ironic, like calling a big guy tiny. :lol: It's all in fun. Don't take yourselves so seriously habs fans :king:

They also gave up on Thornton.

They also gave up on Thornton.

I'm not here to defend the dumb moves made by Bruin management. The name I chose comes from my personal belief that Samsonov is not going to set the world on fire for the Habs. For the salary the Habs are giving him they might as well have stuck with Zednik but I guess ole Zed wanted out of Montreal so they had no choice in the matter. I dont expect Samsonsov will get anymore points than Zednik but he's getting paid much more so you do the math. It's not like Samsonov was the guy Bob was after anyway. He wanted Elias, Shannahan and a few others but couldn't get them. The Samsonov move was regarded as a bit of a panick move by a lot of hockey experts and I tend to agree. Bob was seeing all the big names going and he thought he better grab something quick and Samsonov was available. Time will tell if Sergei can make it work but I have my doubts; hence the my nick name :king:

I don't think it was a panic move, just not Gainey's first choice. I don't think Gainey really makes panic moves. Yes, he clearly wanted Shannahan and possibly Elias and Arnott over Samsonov. But still, signing Samsonov takes the pressure off of rushing Kostistyn/Perezhogin and adds a veteran right-handed shot to our 2nd line.

Personally, I think Samsonov will find a niche in Montreal. But worst case, if he really doesn't work out, and Perezhogin/Kosty step up, THEN I would see Gainey "dumping" Samsonov to make cap space so that we can keep our defense core together next year.

I don't think it was a panic move, just not Gainey's first choice. I don't think Gainey really makes panic moves. Yes, he clearly wanted Shannahan and possibly Elias and Arnott over Samsonov. But still, signing Samsonov takes the pressure off of rushing Kostistyn/Perezhogin and adds a veteran right-handed shot to our 2nd line.

Personally, I think Samsonov will find a niche in Montreal. But worst case, if he really doesn't work out, and Perezhogin/Kosty step up, THEN I would see Gainey "dumping" Samsonov to make cap space so that we can keep our defense core together next year.

i completly agree with you he should be given at least 10 games before we judge him- personally as you can tell by my sig i think he'll come good.

i completly agree with you he should be given at least 10 games before we judge him- personally as you can tell by my sig i think he'll come good.

i agree with the general sentiment, but 10 games? How about till the christmas break?

i agree with the general sentiment, but 10 games? How about till the christmas break?

yeah that sounds fairer. :unsure:

Two goalies are twice as good as one. Plus the pair we have now cost less than Théo alone did. Plus when Mtl fans decide they hate one of them Gainey can play the other in home games. Plus we have flexibility we can play a goalie who plays well against a certain team's style. Also this is something I have yet to hear suggested but what about Huet in nets and if there is a tie after overtime throw Abby in for the shootout? Psych out the opposing team, also Abby may be better on breakaways.

2 > 1

Two goalies are twice as good as one. Plus the pair we have now cost less than Théo alone did. Plus when Mtl fans decide they hate one of them Gainey can play the other in home games. Plus we have flexibility we can play a goalie who plays well against a certain team's style. Also this is something I have yet to hear suggested but what about Huet in nets and if there is a tie after overtime throw Abby in for the shootout? Psych out the opposing team, also Abby may be better on breakaways.

2 > 1

Yeah a 2 goalie system is good but you know that with Danis and Price in the wings one onf these guys is probably gone by the end of next season.

Not a bad idea about changing goalies for shootouts because even though Huet is the better positional goalie, Aebi is more acrobatic and is faster which may serve him better on break aways. Problem is he would have to come in cold with no chance to warm up. I don't know if he'd even be allowed to come in anyway unless Huet was injured.

2 games isn't enough to make a decision yet, i'm thinking that by the Christmas break, we should then make a decision on a goalie.

By then we should know

im pretty sure you are allowed to switch goalies for the shootout, but you really dont want a cold goalie in that situation IMHO.

yeah you never want a cold goalie in, especially on breakaways ;)

Edited by Shu

Aebischer has always been this good. A little similar to Theodore, actually - just without all the attitude problems. Both he and Huet are good enough to be solid (or possibly even great) starters. Gainey HAS to platoon because of this:

If Huet becomes our clear-cut #1, then Aebischer will complain (he has in the past - we know this for a fact).

If Aebischer becomes our clear-cut #1, then Huet will be overpaid for a back-up just like Theodore was. (Though luckily Bob didn't make the same mistake and the contract is worth a third as much). I can't see Huet complaining, but I can see the fans complaining and they would have a point. If Aebischer steals the show then Huet will probably be dealt.

As for the Danis problem, I think there's a better chance we stick with Huet/Aebischer and deal Danis then there is of dealing one of our current goalies to make room for Danis.

Relax guys, it's one game.

Yes Huet wasn't cream of the crop against Buffalo, and Aebischer was stellar against Toronto - but that doesn't mean anything yet.

Aebischer had a few mental issues while in Colorado that drove both him and Joel Queenville bonkers. He would let things get to his head and then let in weak goals that drove the coach insane. Sort of a Grahame - Tortorella lite kind of thing. He had a stellar year the season before but had a short playoff.

By the time he was dealt, no one on the Avs seemed to have any confidence in him as a starter. I recall they were riding Peter Budaj at the time, and before that it was a minor league callup called Vitaly Kolesnik.

carbeou has said he doesnt have a no1 goalie he has 1a) and 1b) and doesnt want either to go with a two or 3 week period without playing.

carbeou has said he doesnt have a no1 goalie he has 1a) and 1b) and doesnt want either to go with a two or 3 week period without playing.

who's carbeou ?? :P

caribou ??