Is Michel Therrien a real genius like Don says?

habs rule

This sentence makes no sense.

I understand your point, but the reason he scored goals has nothing to do with an increasing shooting %.

In fact, it's the opposite. The reason for an increasing shooting percentage is that he scored goals...

Now that being said, while it is true that his shooting % was really, but really higher than usual, it is not really fair to take away from Bourque and his teamates the fact that they scored some beautiful goals and made beautiful plays in the playoffs, which led to more goals.

For example, that slick shot he took after like 6-7 seconds against Tampa. Beautiful shots will make % go up, because they will go in the net. Not the opposite.

As someone said to me the other day, "Shut up. You don't know what the hell you're talking about." Sorry .. I digress.. this comment was not made at you but just reports some interesting exchanges I've had that have really helped my confidence.

It seemed clear to me that Borky... (formerly Borque with a silent "e"...deathly silent...) woke up in the post season, cried "Coffee's on!!" and started to play hockey. Playoff hockey. One hears of seasoned vets talking about getting it done in the playoffs when it counts. The rest of the season... not so much as they say.

But, as someone said to me the other day, "Shut up you idiot!"

• 1 month later...

Hey hey hey! What can I say! :thumbs_up:

hey hey hey Therrien finally does what the average joe on the street has been telling him to do for a year..................put Chucky at center!

not too mention the thousands of calls for dd off the first line and off the first unit on the pp

oh yea, and bring the young kid on d back up from hamilton

looks like their are alot of "geniuses" around

Sorry he didn't listen to Joe and exactly which goal was 27 in on, or did he help produce some offense and win? Yes he looks great stickhandling puck though.

PP also looks great, cant score for crap and tons of near-goals don't help win often.

Sorry he didn't listen to Joe and exactly which goal was 27 in on, or did he help produce some offense and win? Yes he looks great stickhandling puck though.

PP also looks great, cant score for crap and tons of near-goals don't help win often.

I am really bursting at the seams waiting for Galchenyuk to break out. Moves like a forking magician, just can't get the forking puck in the net. When he starts scoring for real he is going to a real piece of work. Simply awesome potential at this point. But potential does not win games.

yea thats why everybody and their brother has seen enough of DD with his 2 goals ans 4 near goals after 30 games

make way for the new kid !

Yes Galchenyuk gets Ohhs and Ahhs dangling around the ice, but almost seems too anxious around the net, on one loose puck rebound, he jumped on it and quickly tossed it over net, whereas if he took his time he had time, Miller down and out and all top of net to flip it into to. On Pacioretty pass he almost looked like he tried a fancy between legs tip in and missed puck altogether?

Just hope he isnt 2nd coming of Ales Hemsky!

But galldarn he sure does look some slick (other than when Sbeisa really caught him with nice check).

Dont get me wrong, he is doing very well and was 1st star of game for a reason.

Ales Hemsky? Please Don.... we all hope that!

Galchenyuk hits too!

Goals will start going in, it's just a matter of time...

Guest Stogey24

Yes Galchenyuk gets Ohhs and Ahhs dangling around the ice, but almost seems too anxious around the net, on one loose puck rebound, he jumped on it and quickly tossed it over net, whereas if he took his time he had time, Miller down and out and all top of net to flip it into to. On Pacioretty pass he almost looked like he tried a fancy between legs tip in and missed puck altogether?

Just hope he isnt 2nd coming of Ales Hemsky!

But galldarn he sure does look some slick (other than when Sbeisa really caught him with nice check).

Dont get me wrong, he is doing very well and was 1st star of game for a reason.

That's a really random comparable. I'd go as far to Galchenyuk's hands are at an elite level. I agree he may do a little to much stick handling, but the balance will come.

:blush:I see Boone mention in his game writeup, "the Montreal Canadiens are making their coach look like a genius."

Hmmm

key words "look like"

translation, winning in spite of him.

like when a d play so good the goalie gets a shut out.........D making goalie LOOK LIKE a star

key words "look like"

translation, winning in spite of him.

like when a d play so good the goalie gets a shut out.........D making goalie LOOK LIKE a star

So, let me see if I've got this straight. According to your numerous posts, the Habs have serious deficiencies in talent: terrible D-corps, horrible down the middle, DD is not an NHLer, Pleks is human garbage, etc.. In addition to that, the coach is a buffoon.

So, we have a mediocre team and a terrible coach. Got it.

Yet somehow we have managed to make the playoffs for both of Therrien's seasons and get to the semi-finals last year, while being a top team results-wise for most of this season. Hmmm. Something's gone wrong with the analysis.

It seems to me that you can pick one or the other of these two arguments, but not both. EITHER the Habs are stacked with talent and should be a dominant team, but are being held back by MT; OR they are a mediocre team being elevated by strong coaching. The team's results over an extended period of time simply make it impossible to argue that everything about the club, from coaching to personnel, stinks.

• Upvote 2

So, let me see if I've got this straight. According to your numerous posts, the Habs have serious deficiencies in talent: terrible D-corps, horrible down the middle, DD is not an NHLer, Pleks is human garbage, etc.. In addition to that, the coach is a buffoon.

Yet somehow we have managed to make the playoffs for both of Therrien's seasons and get to the semi-finals last year, while being a top team results-wise for most of this season. Hmmm. Something's gone wrong with the analysis.

It seems to me that you can pick one or the other of these two arguments, but not both. EITHER the Habs are stacked with talent and should be a dominant team, but are being held back by MT; OR they are a mediocre team being elevated by strong coaching. The team's results over an extended period of time simply make it impossible to argue that everything about the club, from coaching to personnel, stinks.

Well I think they have a pretty good team. Elite goal tending decent defence, strong defensive forwards, lack scoring. They are 1 or maybe 2 players away from being really good, they need a sniper, and 1 more top 6 defenceman. A real stay at home knock you on your ass defenceman. Why I don't like the coaching is simple, the coach is in charge of the systems, that is what he does he figures out a system using the players he has at his disposal. So he designs a power play, penalty kill, offence zone entrance, backchecking. etc etc etc. I find most of these things lacking in MT. OK the PK is good. I wonder how many of the wins we have this season, can be attributed to Mr Price. I dare say a lot of them, MT has no input on coaching Carey, thank the great pumpkin. While I won't say that they win in spite of him, I do not see anything that he does that inspires any confidence in his abilities. I would say this team is a lot better talent wise that the Wings for instance, and they are... oh yeah in 1st place where we used to be. Does Babcock have Carey Price? no is his defence better?, i would say no, are his forwards better, that Dan Cleary really scares me. But in spite of injuries a lack of talent etc, the Wings are rolling into the playoffs again. Why? because Babcock has a system and demands that the players follow it. They do and they win. MT's system was best described by one sage as scrambled eggs. I know we all keep talking about the future but let us remember something, Carey ain't gonna be here forever. Like all players he has a shelf life, I hope we don't look to the future until he is gone. We cannot waste his prime years, he is the key to a Stanley cup, Markov has very little time left, some of the other newly acquired guys are so over the hill they think they are in 1st place. At some point and in the very near future I hope this team will make a commitment to winning and finish the "rebuild" and get us a cup. I don't think MT has the where with all to be the Cup winning Coach. He is a place holder like Gonchar Allen etc. Of course this is just my opinion and the secretary will disavow any knowledge if i am captured. :):habslogo:

you lost me at "pleks is human garbage" you words not mine....oh the drama

want me to play that , well ok

"so let me see if i got this straight" Habs have the most talent in the nhl, superb defense corps, spectacular down the middle,dd is best center in nhl, pleks is super human, etc. in addition to that MT is a genious of a coach,

made the play offs both therrien seasons you say .............so did Paul Maclean withnthe senators (Macleans team clobbered therriens btw)......and where is he now? The bar Murray holds for Ottawa is obviously not as low the one you hold for Montreal in the coaching department.

cheers ............. like your passion but two minutes for embellishing !

you lost me at "pleks is human garbage" you words not mine....oh the drama

want me to play that , well ok

"so let me see if i got this straight" Habs have the most talent in the nhl, superb defense corps, spectacular down the middle,dd is best center in nhl, pleks is super human, etc. in addition to that MT is a genious of a coach,

made the play offs both therrien seasons you say .............so did Paul Maclean withnthe senators (Macleans team clobbered therriens btw)......and where is he now? The bar Murray holds for Ottawa is obviously not as low the one you hold for Montreal in the coaching department.

cheers ............. like your passion but two minutes for embellishing !

Coaches get fired. It happens - and doesn't mean they suck, incidentally.

What I pointed out was that you can't keep saying the Habs stink, AND that Therrien is a bad coach. The results make it impossible to argue both at the same time. But hey. let's not let logic get in the way of endless complaining about everything.

What I pointed out was that you can't keep saying the Habs stink, AND that Therrien is a bad coach. The results make it impossible to argue both at the same time. But hey. let's not let logic get in the way of endless complaining about everything.

I don't think the complaining is going to get any better in the immediate future. The Habs play the Kings on Friday and then have there or four days off...the horror.

"Habs are not a stanley cup contenders"............cc hears "the habs stink" :cry_smile:

I like and have complimented on this board multiple times: MB , Eller, subban, bournival, price, tinordi, beauiliue, chucky, gally, max, sekac, markov, prust, weiss, manny, tabrovski

players i could take or leave when coming up against the kings, hawks, ducks etc in a play off series......parenteau, emeilin,

players that wont measure up in same gonchar, pleks, dd, gilbert, weaver, allen, therrien

Thats fourteen i like, six i dont, two indifferent.

Like the gm and dont like the coach.

all of that i have stated repeatedly on here when chatting.

thanks for noticing what i dont like about the team, but ease up its not a personal insult buddy. :thumbs_up:

Well I think they have a pretty good team. Elite goal tending decent defence, strong defensive forwards, lack scoring. They are 1 or maybe 2 players away from being really good, they need a sniper, and 1 more top 6 defenceman. A real stay at home knock you on your ass defenceman. Why I don't like the coaching is simple, the coach is in charge of the systems, that is what he does he figures out a system using the players he has at his disposal. So he designs a power play, penalty kill, offence zone entrance, backchecking. etc etc etc. I find most of these things lacking in MT. OK the PK is good. I wonder how many of the wins we have this season, can be attributed to Mr Price. I dare say a lot of them, MT has no input on coaching Carey, thank the great pumpkin. While I won't say that they win in spite of him, I do not see anything that he does that inspires any confidence in his abilities. I would say this team is a lot better talent wise that the Wings for instance, and they are... oh yeah in 1st place where we used to be. Does Babcock have Carey Price? no is his defence better?, i would say no, are his forwards better, that Dan Cleary really scares me. But in spite of injuries a lack of talent etc, the Wings are rolling into the playoffs again. Why? because Babcock has a system and demands that the players follow it. They do and they win. MT's system was best described by one sage as scrambled eggs. I know we all keep talking about the future but let us remember something, Carey ain't gonna be here forever. Like all players he has a shelf life, I hope we don't look to the future until he is gone. We cannot waste his prime years, he is the key to a Stanley cup, Markov has very little time left, some of the other newly acquired guys are so over the hill they think they are in 1st place. At some point and in the very near future I hope this team will make a commitment to winning and finish the "rebuild" and get us a cup. I don't think MT has the where with all to be the Cup winning Coach. He is a place holder like Gonchar Allen etc. Of course this is just my opinion and the secretary will disavow any knowledge if i am captured. :):habslogo:

wish i could put as eloquently as that

and "scrambled eggs" :rofl:

"coaches get fired . it happens and it does mean they suck" lol glad you agree, that was point bringing up the maclean firing.

"Habs are not a stanley cup contenders"............cc hears "the habs stink" :cry_smile:

I like and have complimented on this board multiple times: MB , Eller, subban, bournival, price, tinordi, beauiliue, chucky, gally, max, sekac, markov, prust, weiss, manny, tabrovski

players i could take or leave when coming up against the kings, hawks, ducks etc in a play off series......parenteau, emeilin,

players that wont measure up in same gonchar, pleks, dd, gilbert, weaver, allen, therrien

Thats fourteen i like, six i dont, two indifferent.

Like the gm and dont like the coach.

all of that i have stated repeatedly on here when chatting.

thanks for noticing what i dont like about the team, but ease up its not a personal insult buddy. :thumbs_up:

Right-o. Well, I am heartened to hear that you think this is an elite team, talent-wise, being held back by Therrien's coaching...since you clearly think the team has the talent to get substantially better results than Therrien has delivered, and substantially better results would mean top-5 in the standings and a Finals appearances. I must have been misinterpreting the general tenor of your posts.

• Upvote 1

I must have been misinterpreting the general tenor of your posts.

Naw, I don't think you are misinterpreting anything, 'cause if you are, then I am, and I'm not...

Right-o. Well, I am heartened to hear that you think this is an elite team, talent-wise, being held back by Therrien's coaching...since you clearly think the team has the talent to get substantially better results than Therrien has delivered, and substantially better results would mean top-5 in the standings and a Finals appearances. I must have been misinterpreting the general tenor of your posts.

nope. having two centerman at the no 1 and no 2 positions and 4 d playing regularly that could not even make the l.a kings ...no way this team could get to the finals...........especially with MT coaching.

here is an example. last season if you trade kopitar and carter for pleks and DD the kings do not even get out of the first round with the sharks...and the habs beat the rangers.

never said "the habs stink" .... again your words

we will agree to disagree. revisit it during spring time.......when the contenders come out to play.

cheers

nope. having two centerman at the no 1 and no 2 positions and 4 d playing regularly that could not even make the l.a kings ...no way this team could get to the finals...........especially with MT coaching.

here is an example. last season if you trade kopitar and carter for pleks and DD the kings do not even get out of the first round with the sharks...and the habs beat the rangers.

never said "the habs stink" .... again your words

we will agree to disagree. revisit it during spring time.......when the contenders come out to play.

cheers

I think you're missing my point...which concerns the contradiction of saying the team is under-performing under MT, while also not thinking the team is elite. Anyway, this is way more effort than it's worth, so by all means let's move along.