Is Michel Therrien a real genius like Don says?

habs rule

. As for the "systems", I'm not quite sure how big of an impact you think the coach has. It's up to the players to execute when it is all said and done. Just like it is coach's fault that they don't get up for the games, in what world does that make any sense? Anyway, again I'll use the facts like their record and playoff success to support my opinion, instead of just having an opinion.

So Illwill, since you think everything is rosy, there are no problems, tell me what are the coaches responsible for? Systems don't matter, motivating does not matter. Based on your theory they should just hire you as coach, even if you really have no opinion on the subject and continue to spout the same old stuff over and over again. You would look good opening and closing the gate since that apparently is what you think coaches do. Maybe actually reading the posts and putting a little thought into what you actually think would help. :habslogo:

So Illwill, since you think everything is rosy, there are no problems, tell me what are the coaches responsible for? Systems don't matter, motivating does not matter. Based on your theory they should just hire you as coach, even if you really have no opinion on the subject and continue to spout the same old stuff over and over again. You would look good opening and closing the gate since that apparently is what you think coaches do. Maybe actually reading the posts and putting a little thought into what you actually think would help. :habslogo:

i think he has the mentality of a leaf's fan. let's have a parade, we made the playoffs!! Next year will be even better!

My point is that the position of coach is greatly overrated. He isn't the one skating into the corners, taking abuse in front of the net, shooting wide etc. He simply tries to get everyone on the same page and pushes the buttons for each individual to try to get the most from them. He decides line combinations and matchups based on what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. The FACT is, that this team has been winning far more than it has been losing since he got here. Just because Joe Armchair Coach doesn't agree with what he does, doesn't mean it isn't the best thing for the team. I will agree with the PROOF that what he is doing is working thus far and not some internet keyboard warrior on a hockey forum.

i think he has the mentality of a leaf's fan. let's have a parade, we made the playoffs!! Next year will be even better!

Go back to the 70's when success was a Cup and only a Cup. Today's NHL has 30 teams and a salary cap. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't enjoy last year and call it a success

Guest Stogey24

Go back to the 70's when success was a Cup and only a Cup. Today's NHL has 30 teams and a salary cap. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't enjoy last year and call it a success

Shot in the dark.... We win the cup with Price in net last year

Shot in the dark.... We win the cup with Price in net last year

Oh you mean our MVP that we didn't have in the Eastern Conference Finals? Yes, I also believe that would have made a difference. Who was the coach last year by the way?

This is perhaps the dumbest discussion that I can remember on this board. Team is good despite of coach, team is bad because of coach.

Guest Stogey24

Oh you mean our MVP that we didn't have in the Eastern Conference Finals? Yes, I also believe that would have made a difference. Who was the coach last year by the way?

This is perhaps the dumbest discussion that I can remember on this board. Team is good despite of coach, team is bad because of coach.

There is no doubt Therrien was out coached in that series though. The rangers would constantly flip the puck in the air from there own end catch Montreal D pinching... There were a lot of small decision making errors with zone draws and getting caught with the wrong guys on the ice

There is no doubt Therrien was out coached in that series though. The rangers would constantly flip the puck in the air from there own end catch Montreal D pinching... There were a lot of small decision making errors I noticed in that series.

In my opinion, the biggest factor in the series was not having Price back there playing the puck and starting the breakout. Tokarski played well but he isn't as good as Price handling the puck. The Rangers forecheck kept them contained in their own end and couldn't get any momentum moving out of their zone.

Guest Stogey24

In my opinion, the biggest factor in the series was not having Price back there playing the puck and starting the breakout. Tokarski played well but he isn't as good as Price handling the puck. The Rangers forecheck kept them contained in their own end and couldn't get any momentum moving out of their zone.

Yeah, I really agree with that. Price is in like the top 10 of turn over ratio right now though.

Good point. Habs miss more than his net minding when he is not in the nets for sure. Steers rebounds away from harm brilliantly as well

the rangers exploited the immobility of our d. whether it was in zone entry, forechecking the defender retrieving the dump, or in transition, we got beat by the rangers because they were faster than us. price may have gotten us to game 7 for sure..but the difference was obvious. tokarski did fine in net, regardless

There is no doubt Therrien was out coached in that series though. The rangers would constantly flip the puck in the air from there own end catch Montreal D pinching... There were a lot of small decision making errors with zone draws and getting caught with the wrong guys on the ice

Also as was pointed out DURING game six by play by play guys in the booth, rangers d set up to take away the habs top weapon the stretch pass, habs never adjusted just kept trying it and trying it. Compiled all of two scoring chances entire game. Not taking away from well played by rangers but come on! two scoring chances in an elimination game?

the rangers exploited the immobility of our d. whether it was in zone entry, forechecking the defender retrieving the dump, or in transition, we got beat by the rangers because they were faster than us. price may have gotten us to game 7 for sure..but the difference was obvious. tokarski did fine in net, regardless

yea markov and subban were gassed. the rest are immobile at the best of times

Give than man a cigar fore hitting the nail on the dead square on the head.

My point is that the position of coach is greatly overrated. He isn't the one skating into the corners, taking abuse in front of the net, shooting wide etc. He simply tries to get everyone on the same page and pushes the buttons for each individual to try to get the most from them. He decides line combinations and matchups based on what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. The FACT is, that this team has been winning far more than it has been losing since he got here. Just because Joe Armchair Coach doesn't agree with what he does, doesn't mean it isn't the best thing for the team. I will agree with the PROOF that what he is doing is working thus far and not some internet keyboard warrior on a hockey forum.

LOL ..... so how exactly are you and Therrien related?

• Upvote 1

LOL ..... so how exactly are you and Therrien related?

Don't worry, as soon as they start losing more than they should, I will jump on the fire Therrien bandwagon with the 3 or 4 of you guys. Two seasons and a bit and the thought hasn't entered my mind yet.

So everyone on this forum is stupid, o yeah except you. Got it. You make blanket statements about nothing, please read the posts, there is actually some intelligent discussion going on.

So everyone on this forum is stupid, o yeah except you. Got it. You make blanket statements about nothing, please read the posts, there is actually some intelligent discussion going on.

There hasn't been anything from the HabsRule account pertaining to this discussion that registers on the intelligent meter. In fact, the intelligent responses on this discussion are from people that have rational explanations and don't let personal indifferences dicatate whether or not they think the current coach is doing well.

For someone blasting another about actually reading posts, you have failed miserably by paraphrasing what I've wrote and coming to your own conclusion. Forgive me if I fail to understand your logic on this matter, I have only read hundreds of the same posts over and over but can't seem to make any sense of it. Team is good despite the coach, team is bad because of the coach. Read any of the Cucumber's logical posts and respond to those if you can. You are definitely in the minority of people when it comes to this matter, just like when you wanted to trade Markov.

No, he said the discussion is dumb. Which it is. Smart people can have dumb discussions. illWill also hit it on the head of the hypocrisy of it all. Therrien is always to blame for a loss, never gets credit for the win. I haven't once seen the usual suspects of Therrien haters say something like, "Therrien did some good line matching last night" or "Therrien really has this PK in shape". Penalty kill must be the work of one of the assistants, but the PP? That's all Therrien. Even if we just hired a new assistant coach in the summer with the responsibility to handle the PP. Nope. All Therrien.

The worst part is that it's leaking over several threads even when consensus' are made. Therrien is 2-2 in the playoffs. Most would prefer an elite head coach but an elite head coach isn't available. The team has bad habits that need to be worked upon so they can play at maximum effort and that's the coach's responsibility. It's also up to the players to execute the coach's plan, which it's clear hasn't happened in several games this season.

No, he said the discussion is dumb. Which it is. Smart people can have dumb discussions. illWill also hit it on the head of the hypocrisy of it all. Therrien is always to blame for a loss, never gets credit for the win. I haven't once seen the usual suspects of Therrien haters say something like, "Therrien did some good line matching last night" or "Therrien really has this PK in shape". Penalty kill must be the work of one of the assistants, but the PP? That's all Therrien. Even if we just hired a new assistant coach in the summer with the responsibility to handle the PP. Nope. All Therrien.

The worst part is that it's leaking over several threads even when consensus' are made. Therrien is 2-2 in the playoffs. Most would prefer an elite head coach but an elite head coach isn't available. The team has bad habits that need to be worked upon so they can play at maximum effort and that's the coach's responsibility. It's also up to the players to execute the coach's plan, which it's clear hasn't happened in several games this season.

one could say same thing about the coach...............anybody can come up with a plan...............getting 20 to execute that plan is what makes great coaches.

I am not going to respond to Illwill any further, I never should have in the first place I was right to ignore an will continue to do so.

However MOLG I have said many times that the PK is working, you only have to read my posts to see that. Unfortunately that is the only system that does. As to the powerplay, it isn't working, that falls on the coaches, MT is the head coach and as such is in charge of his assistants, if they aren't getting the job done, then he has to do his and get someone who can. This problem is not new, it has been here since he started. Also I think you will agree that the buck stops on the head coaches desk. He is the guy in charge. If he isn't responsible who is? What concensus' have been made exactly? Far as I can tell It is about evenly split between the lovers of Le genius and the haters. That is why these 2 threads have gone on for so long. The never ending thread I think CC called it.