do you know how to pronunce *plekanec* correctly?

bebehabs

do u??? :D

according to what i've read last week in *La Presse*, they asked Plekanec how do we pronunce his last name, and his answer was :

"It's PLE-KA-NETS"

could someone tell me how a *NEC* become a "NETS"? :?- hehe~

cool huh???

:ghg:

[Edited on 2005/10/30 by bebehabs]

Originally posted by bebehabs

do u??? :D

according to what i've read last week in *La Presse*, the asked Plekanec how do we pronunce his last name, and his answer was :

"It's PLE-KA-NETS"

could someone tell me how a *NEC* become a "NETS"? :?- hehe~

cool huh???

:ghg:

... Hi, Bebe

I'm here with a quickly lesson in Czech :lol:

-> PLE-KA-NETS is absolutely correct. Most important is the final "C" in the name! That must be pronounced like the hard "T" + the "snake's SSS" together :D.

So, not a "Plekanek" or "Plekanetch" ("tch" is better by the pronouncing "Czech Republic" for example) ... because the "C" in the name Plekane© isn't the same like the "C" in the Czech Rep. :)

BTW, I'm with an "EC"-ending in the my name too! ;)

PS. ... and sorry for my terrible english again.

regards,

tomas, CZ

Tom-05b-detail.JPG

A "c" with no accent in Czech (and other Slavic languages) is pronounced "ts". č is pronounced ("ch").

So Tomáš Plekanec should be pronounced TO-MASH PLE-KA-NETS.

I knew those two months wandering around in Central/Eastern Europe would come in handy one day!

Originally posted by option+

A "c" with no accent in Czech (and other Slavic languages) is pronounced "ts". č is pronounced ("ch").

So Tomáš Plekanec should be pronounced TO-MASH PLE-KA-NETS.

I knew those two months wandering around in Central/Eastern Europe would come in handy one day!

:) ... congrats to your knowledge in the Czech language!

Is definitely better than my English ;).

Bye & good luck to your Leicester City football squad!

It's kinda cool that people from all the world had gathered here on Habsworld...

About Czech Republic. I plan to visit Praha in a month. I also plan to visit my favourite brewer Pilsner Urquell. I heard that they have a bar in Praha. Something you could confirm?

Originally posted by tommy9

... Hi, Bebe

I'm here with a quickly lesson in Czech :lol:

-> PLE-KA-NETS is absolutely correct. Most important is the final "C" in the name! That must be pronounced like the hard "T" + the "snake's SSS" together :D.

So, not a "Plekanek" or "Plekanetch" ("tch" is better by the pronouncing "Czech Republic" for example) ... because the "C" in the name Plekane© isn't the same like the "C" in the Czech Rep. :)

BTW, I'm with an "EC"-ending in the my name too! ;)

PS. ... and sorry for my terrible english again.

regards,

tomas, CZ

Tom-05b-detail.JPG

Oh no!!! It's the picture of Pleky in a Sens uniform again!!!! You guys in Kladno know something we don't? :)

Originally posted by ch_nl

It's kinda cool that people from all the world had gathered here on Habsworld...

About Czech Republic. I plan to visit Praha in a month. I also plan to visit my favourite brewer Pilsner Urquell. I heard that they have a bar in Praha. Something you could confirm?

Pilsener Urquell is based out of Plzen, but they could very well have a bar in Prague. If you want to visit a brewery, check out the Staropramen brewery in Smichov. I highly recommend it!

Oh no!!! It's the picture of Pleky in a Sens uniform again!!!! You guys in Kladno know something we don't? :)

Yes! He's sold for a $ 1.000.000 to the Binghamton 2 hours ago!!! :contract:

... here in discussion with Dany Heatley :idea:

Tom-05e.JPG

Oh well at least I like the running shoe version of the Sens much better. Would like to see Spezza pull a move like last night with

running shoes on (and "Heatley" needs to coordinate the number on his helmet with the one on his jersey:))

Thanks for the interesting picks Tommy

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by Rooster]

2CoRvInA: ... maybe in Victoria, no in Kladno! :D

.. OK, I'll ask to mother of him (I know her only 25 years ;) ) for the right pronouncing again!

2Rooster: pics are too old now, I would like to have some new ... (from the BellCen at best :) )

Pleky-ava2.JPG

Yes... that's quite correct. Very well done!

Now, I've had numerous emails asking me how to pronounce the name of my 'hero' Fozzy Bear.

Well, for all of you who are just eager with curiosity, who are dying to be informed, here it is.

First, his family name, 'Bear'.

In the South American nation of Guineayana, the word can be broken down into two syllables, 'Be' and 'ar'. The first syllable can be approximately sounded out as 'buh' like the commonly heard 'duh'. Of course, for all of you who are professional linguists, the second syllable sounds like 'ah' with the 'r' formed at the end of the tongue. The result being phonetically pronounced 'buh-ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'.

In another national locale, a Canadian one call Pub, that is, the word has a very simple single syllabistical sonoric flavour very like one of their favourite native drinks, 'beer'.

Now, his given name, 'Fozzy'.

Again, in Guineayana, 'Fozzy' is definitely broken down into three syllables. The first syllable, 'Fo' (and no, the 'f' 'o' have no connection with the rather vulgar 'flock office' ), sounds like 'fowe' much like 'owe' as in "You OWE me a whole lot of money and you'd better pay me or I'll kill you". The second syllable 'zz' sounds somewhat like the Italian double z, 'dz'. The last syllable is pronounced 'ee' as in 'tree' or the more numerically heard 'three'.

The result here is 'fowe-dz-ee'.

Again, in the Canadian land of Pub, the word 'Fozzy' only has two syllables. The first is pronounced 'fud' as in Elmer FUDD. As you can readily see, there's no direct connection between the sound and the letters aside from the 'f'. The second syllable is pronounced 'zee'. The result, of course, is 'Fudzee' like the sound 'sudsy'.

So, you have a choice, really, depending upon your cultural leanings, intelligence level and pronounced preferencial parlance.

A) 'Fowedzee Buh-ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'

or

B) 'Fudzee Beer'

Henceforth and forever more, I delegate to you the responsibility of the optional imperative. Be faithful to yourself and your kind.

I trust that all of you who have persistently emailed me will be satisfied with this explanation.

:guru::guru::guru::guru::guru:

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by ch_nl

You're crazy man! Staropramen is the Czech beer.

I can't even look at you.:P

• 9 months later...
it says plekance !! ??

I think thats another word, later in the article they say Plekanec

Sestava Jágr Teamu: Schwarz (30. Kameš) - Melichar, Rozsíval, Krajíček, Richter, Novotný, Klesla - Jágr, Výborný, Kotalík - Tenkrát, Hrdina, Plekanec - Tatíček, Koreis, Tlustý.

With Plekanec being Czech I wouldnt have been surprised if it was pronounced Icky Icky Icky Awooga. :P

Some Czechs names are pronounced absolutely nothing like how its spelled.

The Laffs have 2, Krabappletree, and Pilar. It took me quite a while to figure out that Belash is actually Pilar. :blink: When Krabappletree signed his last contract, he demanded that the media pronounced his name right, and they did change the pronounciation a bit, but it still isnt correct. No clue how to say it properly. :lol:

My friend spent 2 years there. I his opinion it's Plek-en-eats said quickly using those syllables. It's wierd too because the T in EATS is very faint, almost as if it is "Plekan-EAS. Sort of like half a T. The C definitely has an S sound. An example is the Italian C and S are similar. Dino Ciccarelli comes to mind. In Italian and French it's Chiccarelli

In North America it seems to be Plekan-"S". On SRC or RDS they seem to say Plekan-ets, not eats.

Is BTH in the house? Little help?

Tony Hrkac

Hercas? And he's from Thunder Bay.

But, we have to remember where we all came from. After all, the Great One is Belarusian.

Gotta love those SKILLED Belarusian's

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN