Game Thread | Atlanta vs. Montreal | 01/09/07

Spider-Man NL

So when Bonk comes back, put him between Kovalev and Samsonov

Thats a great idea. Now that Bonk has been out and the 3rd line did not crumble, they can take a chance and see if Bonk can get the 2nd line going. Couldn't hurt and if it doesn't work, just switch Pleks and Bonk back again.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when Bonk comes back, put him between Kovalev and Samsonov

I'm with you RobRock. I kept thinking that same thing each time I watched Johnson and Plekanec out there tonight. Maybe good 'ole sleepy Bonk just lulled Johnson into a bit of a lethargy :P Plekanec's hard work seemed contagious...

And shortcat1, I don't think Begin is done with the Habs, I still think the energy and game in game out commitment he brings is needed on this team, at least for the rest of this season and potentially beyond.

All things aside, it was just nice to get the win tonight, and of course to see Saku get his 500th point and Ryder finally have some bounces go his way.

Edited by The Saint

Err... Bégin is injured, that's all.

He will return to the team when he's better.

yeah, but I thought it wasn't so serious and he was expected back by the end of January. Maybe Shortcat means, with this incredible one-game winning streak under our belts, Steve may have lost his spot? :P

Loved seeing Ryder put up 3 points tonight. Im usually the one of the few who defends him but he looked lost on the weekend.

Bottom line, he's an extremely streaky scorer but hes still probably our best finisher on a team that lacks a true proven goal scorer.

Good game tonight boys, we actually looked like we skated out there and are getting over the flu, but its one win, we need to keep it rolling!

Pleks looked good tonight....hard to knock off the puck and good at getting his stick in the passing lanes

Koivu looked like the Koivu of old, nice pick of the guys pocket behind the net

Lats...what a beast!

I thought Ryders other chances he didnt cash in on were his best plays

komi was hitting em down like usual

Samsonov....man can that guy get bounced of the puck

Johnson had a bounce back game

Overall a good effort by the habs, many calls werent being called in the game, but were habs fans, we should be use to this

maybe the line changes have worked really well...

just a side comment... is steve bégin seeing the end of his time on the team?

GO :hlogo: GO!

Gainey inked him at 1 mill until '09. Begin is the type of player that will play better in Montreal than anywhere else. Given these two reasons I highly doubt he'll be moved.

BTW, check out the Canadiens opponent in this edition of TSN icechips :P

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I was shocked they won after not scoring first and then down 2-0 I was blown away. I really hope the Habs can play a few games in a row as they did tonight they had plenty of scoring chances and hit a couple of posts before they eventually scored.

Props to Koivu for his 500th point does anyone know who grabbed the puck out of the net?

On CTV they said it was NORWALK!!

in your photo signature, i take it that the guy between muller & carbonneau is you, jmmr...

maybe the line changes have worked really well...

just a side comment... is steve bégin seeing the end of his time on the team?

He must see it and being very frustrated not being able to prove he belongs.

We need him down the road, playoff run and playoff.

Plekanec has 4 goals and 1 assist in his last 4 games...

Hopefully he keeps this up for the rest of the season...

I would really like to see this kid get past the "3rd line center" label.

He only has that label from people on this forum, Bob know what he has in that guy, as do some of the more knowlegable fans on here.

I don't blame Pleks for all the woes on the 2nd line, but he is a part of the problem for sure.

Pleks is not a naturally gifted scorer. He is not a great play maker either. He is fast and defensively aware, which is pretty standard for a 3rd line center.

If I am biased, I guess most of the media, the draft guys, and half the fans on this board are too. ;)

In any case, you are completely entitled to your opinion, as am I. For the record, i base mine on watching how he plays. I am convinced he has a bright future in this league as a shutdown guy and on the PK. I don't need Pleks to get 80 points to love his play.

He's not "part of the problem" as much as he plays with the problem.

For someone that is not a natural goal scorer, I am amazed that he has as many goals as Samsonov, who is supposed to be a natural.

I will go out on a limb right here and now and predict that Plekanec will have more goals that Samsonov at the end of the year. He has cost this team a fraction of what Samsonov has in salary, and will score more goals, more assists, have a better +/- and will contribute more on the PP/PK and play better defensively. There will not be one stat where Samsonov will beat Pleks....except salary. You heard it here first and I will go back and find this post at the end of the season.

Loved seeing Ryder put up 3 points tonight. Im usually the one of the few who defends him but he looked lost on the weekend.

Bottom line, he's an extremely streaky scorer but hes still probably our best finisher on a team that lacks a true proven goal scorer.

I agree - we need Ryder. It's really only been this season that he's been more streaky - he put up the goals pretty consistently his first 2 years. He was a determined man tonight, with a few great chances to score before his goals. Good to see him back on track, and hopefully he can continue to produce.

Very solid game tonight. They actually played hard for about 55 minutes. I don't know what it is about these guys but when there up late in a game they have to take stupid penalties and make it close. What was Souray thinking, get the puck deep. The second line looked great the first 2 periods, once Grabovski was seated in the third i'm assuming for defensive purposes the line looked like it normally does. The first line looked great in the third. The 3rd and 4th line did there jobs.

The goaltending was outstanding again.

The defense was a little shaky in my book, still alot of turnovers and losing battles down low. If they backed off the blueline anymore they would be standing next to the goal judge. I thought the D looked pretty good in the offensive zone, pinched a bit and moved the puck well.

Lets hope the work ethic stays for thursday against Philly, they need the points.

He only has that label from people on this forum, Bob know what he has in that guy, as do some of the more knowlegable fans on here.

He's not "part of the problem" as much as he plays with the problem.

For someone that is not a natural goal scorer, I am amazed that he has as many goals as Samsonov, who is supposed to be a natural.

I will go out on a limb right here and now and predict that Plekanec will have more goals that Samsonov at the end of the year. He has cost this team a fraction of what Samsonov has in salary, and will score more goals, more assists, have a better +/- and will contribute more on the PP/PK and play better defensively. There will not be one stat where Samsonov will beat Pleks....except salary. You heard it here first and I will go back and find this post at the end of the season.

The play of Samsonov has nothing to do with whether Pleks is a top 2 center. Sammy is playing like crap, so you could ask the question, is he a top 2 winger....

Scoring more then Sammy this year is hardly a challenge, not the measuring stick for Pleks. You might notice that Kovy, that "dead weight" poor pleks had to play with is one of the top point guys on the team, and seems to look great as soon as he is beside Koivu, a true top two center.

Seriously, I have nothing against Pleks, I just don't see him as a top 2 center. I don't see Begin as a top two center either, but I still like him a lot, for the role he plays. I know people really want Pleks to suddenly turn into a top line guy, but I don't see it happening. It won't happen just because it would be good for the Habs. Its the same reason Bulis will never be a top 2 guy either, as much as some people around here thought he should be, after a few hot games last year.

The worse thing that can happen to Pleks (and it was happening earlier in the season), is if he tries to be something he is not and ruin the game he does have. As soon as he got off the 2nd line (and all that pressure to be offensive), he started playing much better defensively and started getting the kind of chances he is known for, turn overs and speed! He has more offensive potential potential then Bulis, which is why he will finish more of those plays he generates. He will never be a huge playmaker, it is just not his game.

I am quite confident that Gainey has no intention of making Pleks his long term 2nd center. He will make a trade eventually to fill that spot. I suspect that next year, you will see Pleks firmly entrenched in Bonk's spot, and looking great.

Oh here, is the scouting report on Pleks from TSN.

Assets Has excellent hockey sense and playmaking instincts. Is polished in the defensive zone and not afraid of going into the corners. Can line up anywhere up front.

Flaws May not thrive in the NHL game because of a lack of physical strength and toughness. Isn't a true sniper, but still needs to shoot the puck more often.

Career potential Third line center.

Seems it is not just "some people on this forum". :)

The great thing about Pleks is that he can play anywhere and doesn't complain. His game does not suffer either, he is a quality 2 way center just not a gifted scorer. The more i watch Grabovski the more i like him on the second line. I use to worry about Ribiero keeping up the Kovy and Samsonov, now i worry about them keeping up with Grabovski. That guy can skate, does anyone know if he has a good shot? All he seems to do is make moves to try and score.

When I went to a few Hamilton games during the lockout I actually concluded (from what little I saw) that Plekanec had more offensive upside than Higgins. That being said, Plek is a good third line center...but I do think there is a chance that he might move up the depth chart at one point.