Perezhogin Appreciation Thread.

OneSharpMarble

I know he hasn't gotten many points lately but this guy is really unreal, I see him being just as good as samsonov used to be, perhaps better. I think he deserves a shot on the first two lines now that Samsonov and Kovalev are split up.

He only got like 11 minutes worth of ice time tonight but he made the amazing pass leading to the winning goal. He has breakout speed and works hard everynight even when he gets demoted! I can't say enough good things about him so I will stop fawning.

:clap:

Top 2 lines are full though. Perezhogin is kept on the 4th because he does well there and more importantly because he accepts that role. I don't think Ryder, Kovalev, Samsonov and others will be too happy playing on the fourth line. The only other one who can we swap him with is Latendresse, but we all just said in te oter thread that he was the right winger for Kovalev.

YEah he probably does deserve a shot, but won't get it with all the other great forwards ahead of him. Maybe if they dumped Samsonov, but Latendresse is probably ahead of him on the depth chart anyways.

But as long as he's plays well who cares where he's playing. Carbo just needs to make sure he gets some icetime

I just think that Ryder, Higgins, Samsonov, Kovy and Lats deserve the 2nd line spots much than him.

Anyway he plays well right where he his, let's keep him right there.

Edited by JoeLassister

I like him exactly where he is. We've tried him at the top a number of times in the past, and he didn't so that great. He's really developed his defensive play and has becoming a surprisingly good hitter. I really don't think we'll see him on the top 2 lines down the road. I think more purely offensive guys like Kostitsyn would get those shots in the future, given how well Zhog has performed exactly where he is.

this guy was considered a goal scorer when we drafted him, his upside is still pretty big. I love the way he is playing, but i think he will be a very good second line player once he gets some confidence back in his shot. I seem to remember him playing quite well with koivu and kovalev a few seasons back...

Yeah we tried him on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev, big deal no one did well with those two. Out of all of our players (regulars from the start of the season) he gets the least amount of ice time per night yet he has the fifth highest amount of shots. He leads the team in +/- and who was the last habs player to do something like this....

Seriously who was the last habs player you have seen go end to end? Do you even remeber one? I can't even think of one with this kind of speed. Do you really think that a guy with this amount of talent deserves the least amount of ice time on the entire team? :blink:

I think putting him on defensive lines will stunt his offensive development, I have no problem switching him with Lats once in awhile. The way I look at it Lats doesn't deserve a top spot any more or less.

I do not believe it will stunt his growth because even in an interview he believes he has offensive ability. He understands that he will get his chance and believes only 20% of his ability has been realized in the NHL. You are correct though OSM he is an amazing one on one player and the last Canadiens player I can remember doing such things was M. Grabovski although he did not score. I truly believe Perezhogin can be a Maxim Afinagenov type player.

I do not believe it will stunt his growth because even in an interview he believes he has offensive ability. He understands that he will get his chance and believes only 20% of his ability has been realized in the NHL. You are correct though OSM he is an amazing one on one player and the last Canadiens player I can remember doing such things was M. Grabovski although he did not score. I truly believe Perezhogin can be a Maxim Afinagenov type player.

Is there a specific interview you're talking about??? Where can I hear it or read it??

I don't know about you.

But, I love that fact that all four of our lines have some sort of offense spark. The third line of Johnson-Bonk-Samsonov have been rdiculous on the attack when cycling the puck and playing a strong two-way game, and Perezhogin on the fourth line gets quality chances most periods.

I think Perezhogin will get his chance sooner or later.

And he is appreciated.

Perezhogin definitely still has a ton of potential. I mean, the fact that he's shown he can learn/adapt to a more defensive role is a huge deal.

I'm sure with more time he'll learn to get his offensive game going at a more consistent pace while still playing defensive. He could be like a Mike Johnson with much more offensive upside because of his increasing hockey smarts.

Reminds me a lot of Plekanec, but obviously bigger.

I THINK Zhogs has considerable upside, but unlike Latendresse he's not a sure thing. Playing his current role has certainly not hurt his development and indeed, will help him develop into a more fully-rounded player even if he does end up on the top two lines; and if he doesn't, at least we know we have a robust, intelligent, smooth-skating third liner. At this stage, he's fine where he is. Only if he really starts busting out should we consider moving him to the upper lines.

"Why did you receive a pay cut in comparison to last season?"

"Last year wasn’t great for me; I sat on the bench a lot. I had an alternative – Avangard wanted me back. However, I decided to prove, most importantly to myself, that I was capable of playing better. That they were making a mistake in Montreal when they gave me only two minutes of ice time. And, I think, I am succeeding in doing so."

This quote from that interview makes me love Perezhogin even more ! :D

I'm a fan of Perez; He certainly give us options. In terms of depth and utility on a team in game, he brings many components to the ice.

IF I was a coach he is a must on my bench!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

I'm going to advance a comparison here.

When Carbonneau was brought in to the team back in the early 80's, he was, as a junior, a goal scoring machine (72 games - 72 goals, 110 assists for 182 points) in his last junior year. But, the coachs made him become a second Bob Gainey only with more of an offensive upside.

The same can be the case for Perezhogin... he can become an outstanding third line defensive player who's also a serious scoring threat when he's on the ice - a precious commodity on any team. The only possible problem would be that he would resent this kind of role or feel his talent is being stifled.

GO :hlogo: GO!

That's the rub, you see. Perezhogin's potential is supposed to be an offensive top line role, although not a complete bust if he remains at the stage he is now, in the ideal world he will become a Maxim Afinogenov-style player as noted.

"Why did you receive a pay cut in comparison to last season?"

"Last year wasn’t great for me; I sat on the bench a lot. I had an alternative – Avangard wanted me back. However, I decided to prove, most importantly to myself, that I was capable of playing better. That they were making a mistake in Montreal when they gave me only two minutes of ice time. And, I think, I am succeeding in doing so."

This quote from that interview makes me love Perezhogin even more ! :D

:clap: To Perez for having hockey balls

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering, in light of Perogie's being scratched last game, how eveyrone feels about it. The team played great, that's obvious, but does everyone think it was a good decision??? Do you think he'll be back next game?

KoZed, you've been awfully silent on my whole Perogie question, and I really respect your hockey opinion... any thoughts? What has he been doing wrong? Why does Carbo consistently play him on the 4th and or scratch him?

I think Murray played last night because McGratton and Neil played. I beleive Perezhogin will be back in to face the Penguins but it is not set in stone.

Murray did a great job last night in his limited role.

Edited by JMMR