What is Samsonov worth?

Habitforming

Be an NHL GM for a second  

39 members have voted

1. 1. We all know it has been made public that Sammy wants out. The real question is, what is he worth?

• 1st rd pick
    • 2nd rd pick
    • 3rd rd pick
    • Top prospect
    • mid-ranged prospect
    • Career AHL'er
    • NHL veteran
    • 2nd line centre
    • Equal salary player
    • Part of a package to address team needs
    • Nothing, He is done like the Leafs in springtime!

Now that Samsonov has been waived (some claim as a favor to a team (s) that want to claim him) what do you think Samsonov's current market value is?

Explain if you feel the need. :D

:hlogo: :hlogo:

I think that because he is still under contract next year he has more value, so I went with the 2nd rd pick.

I like the idea of part of a package too.

Edited by Habitforming

it's sad that you had to add the 'nothing' choice... he isn't really worth 'nothing' but you'd get some howling about the fact that it wasn't there and that he's worth 1) a bag of pucks, 2) sh*t, 3) whatever other demeaning descriptive you can imagine...

i voted 'part of a package' because i don't expect someone will want a highly paid under-producing player on his own...

the chicago rumour is an example of what will likely happen when (and if) he moves on this year...

GO :hlogo: GO!

it's sad that you had to add the 'nothing' choice... he isn't really worth 'nothing' but you'd get some howling about the fact that it wasn't there and that he's worth 1) a bag of pucks, 2) sh*t, 3) whatever other demeaning descriptive you can imagine...

i voted 'part of a package' because i don't expect someone will want a highly paid under-producing player on his own...

the chicago rumour is an example of what will likely happen when (and if) he moves on this year...

I agree with your comments on the "nothing" option, but if it wasn't an option we both know it would still be said by some one.

Besides it's more of a dig at the leafs than an option ;)

Edited by Habitforming

I agree with your comments on the "nothing" option, but if it wasn't an option we both know it would still be said by some one.

Besides it's more of a dig at the leafs than an option ;)

ah...... i saw but didn't clue in on the 'dig at the leafs' thing... i just saw that as a comparison...

actually even sadder -- there should be a "less than nothing" option.

If the rumour is true that an arrangement is in place for some team to pick him up on the waiver re-entry. In that case he goes and Habs still have to pay half his salary AND that counts against our cap, sort of like here in Japan we have to pay the city when we want to throw away a piece of big garbage, like a sofa. So the sofa's value is "less than nothing" :puke:

Never thought it would come to this what a drag. Sammy's a sofa.

I hate to admit it but I was a huge Samsonov fan, but I guess slumps and bad times happen for everyone eh? Sammy would for sure be extremely useful in a trade package, because I'm sure alot of teams are lacking the punch offensively (*cough, cough* Chicago) aaand Aucoin would be a good addition to the Habs blue-line corps because of the UFA Defensemen situation here in Mtl.

GO HABS GO!!!! I'm sure Bob Gainey will make the right decision.

I hate to admit it but I was a huge Samsonov fan, but I guess slumps and bad times happen for everyone eh? Sammy would for sure be extremely useful in a trade package, because I'm sure alot of teams are lacking the punch offensively (*cough, cough* Chicago) aaand Aucoin would be a good addition to the Habs blue-line corps because of the UFA Defensemen situation here in Mtl.

GO HABS GO!!!! I'm sure Bob Gainey will make the right decision.

i certainly hope he will... his hands are tied by the situation in which he finds himself... a player with great potential which just didn't work out and now has a high salary to dump also... it's too bad that guy from colorado wasn't still in charge... he might be convinced to take samsonov too... NOT!!!!!!!

i trust gainey too... he'll do the best he can... he can make mistakes like the rest of us but it certainly won't be from jumping the gun or ignorance... it'll be from an honest well thought out effort.

Edited by shortcat1

i certainly hope he will... his hands are tied by the situation in which he finds himself... a player with great potential which just didn't work out and now has a high salary to dump also... it's too bad that guy from colorado wasn't still in charge... he might be convinced to take samsonov too... NOT!!!!!!!

i trust gainey too... he'll do the best he can... he can make mistakes like the rest of us but it certainly won't be from jumping the gun or ignorance... it'll be from an honest well thought out effort.

justin williams + all those penalties = arghhhhhhhhhh..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha Pierre Lacroix still has a good deal of input in what the Avs do. Maybe he'll save us once again.

haha Pierre Lacroix still has a good deal of input in what the Avs do. Maybe he'll save us once again.

t'was only wishful thinking... sigh........................................

A plane ticket

where to?

one-way or return?

Edited by shortcat1

I fully agree with ch_nl on this.

I think Bobs pulled the wool over all of our eyes. I dont believe the rumour that some team who wants him will pick him up on re-entry. :lol:

If a team wants him, then trade for him. Besides, all the rumoured teams makes little sense to pick up an under achieving player with his salary. I beleive Bob did it just to get the team back on track. The Habs have been derailed lately. I think Bob feels confident that nobody will take Sammy and that he'll be back.

Dont forget that all the different Sammy line Carbenautions hadnt been tried yet. i.e. Sammy with Koivu, etc

Well if he clears waivers in about 6 hours then he indeed is worth nothing. But if he is claimed I would imagine his worth would be for another struggling NHL player with a pretty fat contract.

I fully agree with ch_nl on this.

I think Bobs pulled the wool over all of our eyes. I dont believe the rumour that some team who wants him will pick him up on re-entry. :lol:

If a team wants him, then trade for him. Besides, all the rumoured teams makes little sense to pick up an under achieving player with his salary. I beleive Bob did it just to get the team back on track. The Habs have been derailed lately. I think Bob feels confident that nobody will take Sammy and that he'll be back.

Dont forget that all the different Sammy line Carbenautions hadnt been tried yet. i.e. Sammy with Koivu, etc

oh, good grief...

There was a good quote in the newspaper from Craig MacTavish when he was asked whether the Oilers would pick him up.

He said: "Sergei is the kind of guy who can hurt you as much as help you, but in a tight game he can get you a goal. Montreal already has a guy like that in Kovalev".

Edited by smon

I don't think so. The Oilers are fairly happy with their second choice, Petr Sykora, who they signed for less (3M) and is third in team scoring with 41pts.

At the begining of the season I would agree with you but Sykora has 4 points in the last 14 games and has fallen out of favour in Edmonton with the Oilers only picking up 8 wins in thier last 16 games and in tough in the North West division.

I think Bob feels confident that nobody will take Sammy and that he'll be back.

After what's transpired, there is too much bad blood between Samsonov and the Habs for them to reconcile. He will not be back.

Samsonov isn't worth anything. Thats why he was put on waivers. Gainey hoped somebody would claim him. Unfortunatley that didn't work. So now Montreal has to hope somebody claims him on re-entry and they are stuck with paying half his salary. If he'd had any worth Gainey would have tried dealing him....more likely has already tried to deal him and nobody was interested, so it was to waivers with him. Its also a possibilty the Habs buy out his contract, after this year anyways

I think the best thing that could possibly happen is that if Samsonov gets another shot, and doesn't get claimed on callup, that he gets a chance to play with Koivu and get away from Kovalev. As alot of people on here suggested before, it would have been nice if Carbonneau had tried that

Edited by kaos