Are Bob's hands tied?

B'OH

It seems to me if Bob does make a trade, he gambles with the team's confidence.

Souray said no one player is going to save this team.

With this in mind, how would team psychology be affected by a big trade?

I dunno guys, I think Bob's got to stay the course with the guys he's got.

Just a thought.

B'OH

B)-->

QUOTE(B @ Feb 16 2007, 03:46 PM) 185881[/snapback]

Just a thought.

B'OH

Let me be the first to welcome aboard - interesting thought! One that I wonder about too - this team is fragile

Edited by beliveau1

Let me be the first to welcome aboard - interesting thought! One that I wonder about too - this team is fragile

Thanks Jean!

I just think Bob is so highly considerate of team psychology that his hands are tied. I mean, look at how quickly he got rid of Ribiero, and for what (is the better point :-)

B)-->

Just a thought.

B'OH

First, welcome!

Second, a gamble with the team's confidence is only a gamble if it's good to begin with. The team's confidence is at an all-time low. Making changes isn't particularly risky when they're losing every game they play.

B)-->

QUOTE(B @ Feb 16 2007, 04:46 PM) 185881[/snapback]

Just a thought.

B'OH

You're crazy ;)

Just kidding.

I think a trade is near. Ek and others rumours are escalating. The Team 990 in Montreal is a buzz too.

We'll see soon.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

B)-->

Just a thought.

B'OH

Wow!... fantastic thought. If it is the case than I'm all for no action at the trade deadline. I believe in the group of players that we have at present. ,... a refreshing perspective, thank you 'B'OH"

When Souray said that "no one player will save this team" I believe he was implying that the team doesn't need to rely on a trade to turn things around. They just have to play up to their potential.

For the record...I disagree with Souray.

B)-->

Just a thought.

B'OH

Get real- this team has lost its confidence- we are in 10th place and going nowhere time for a change

If you read a little more into Souray's comment, no one player will save the team. What about more than one player? You get a multi-player deal, two-for-two, two-for-three, or maybe a couple of one-for-one deals. And sometimes it's not the deal itself which is the catalyst, but the players involved that is more important. Bringing in a guy they didn't expect to get, or dealing someone that no one else thought of trading, that kind of slaps everybody in the face and it wakes everyone up.

If you read a little more into Souray's comment, no one player will save the team. What about more than one player? You get a multi-player deal, two-for-two, two-for-three, or maybe a couple of one-for-one deals. And sometimes it's not the deal itself which is the catalyst, but the players involved that is more important. Bringing in a guy they didn't expect to get, or dealing someone that no one else thought of trading, that kind of slaps everybody in the face and it wakes everyone up.

Saku Koivu and a massage bench for Joe Thornton? I wouldnt expect that to happen. :D

B)-->

Just a thought.

B'OH

The course, as you call it, has been downhill since now 6 weeks and has now reached free-fall velocity,....7 games where lost in their last 8 games......they are virtually in a slump within a slump....no other team in the NHL as a worst record.

Confidence is at zero right now and cannot be affected negatively for that same reason.

Souray is trying all he can to have the players focusing on their game,...he did it a couple of game ago when he suggested the players to look at their last 25 games as if it was a new season,.......he is now suggesting the players not to wait for a saviour and to focus on their game again.......it's all psychologicaly sound and in line with a good captain's directives to his mates.

With Fosberg gone there is no single acquisition that could make a substantiel difference with the task ahead........no trade either.

Staying the course is what the team has done since the beginning of the season......our 5-on-5 play needed

serious attention before......nothing was done and the ship started sinking. Our game plan needed be re-assessed and young guns brought-up from Hamilton........but we stay the course and we got the the blame game instead.......publicly critisising huet after a game 6 weeks ago was thoughtless and so was the press box benching of Rivet a little later......I really cant see any signs that would make me believe that the Ch could fight back the consequences brought about by the slump.

Feels like a situation that is best described as a "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

So my suggestion is what ever choice is made the group needs to support it as a team; No changes mean that they keep trying every night every game. And if it is change then the same applies.

What ever does play out this season; I for one, feel that change is coming and it will be a youth movement; I'm convinced of it! With the likes of Halak, Grabs, Kosts, Chips, Laps, Lats; you would be crazy not to tap into that strength.

GO HABS GO!

ps. Nice Thread B'OH

Oh BooHoo a bunch of overpaid children having a hissy fit if someone gets traded?

Souray should just shut up and play hockey as he makes a lot of money and should lead on the ice not the media. I am so sick of these guys that need to have someone hold their hand or they wont play that night.

People also complain about Kovalev, however he is older and is trying. He just has limited talent to pass the puck to. And I find it funny all those people that complain about Kovalev are the same ones that love Bob Gainey. He is the idiot that gave the huge contract to Kovalev.

Bob Gainey's hands are not tied to trade some of the UFA's , as expiring contracts of useful players to contenders are attractive. Tough love is needed to correct this team for a better season in 2007/2008.

Saku Koivu and a massage bench for Joe Thornton? I wouldnt expect that to happen. :D

Thorton? Are you kidding me? That doofis on the habs. Then you would see some bitchin on this site. Only backwards of Kovalev. I do not want a limp prick that finds a way to disapear every April....

NO THANKS.....Don't even mention him and Saku in the same setence.

Bob's hands are so tied.

Well folks, pick your poison.

#1 - Bob gives away the farm for guys he won't be able to retain in Montreal in an overpriced trade market?

#2 - Bob stands pat and gives his team one last shot of confidence?

I'm going to have to go with #2. You can't fix a short term problem with a short term solution that sacrifices a long term commitment, it just doesn't make any sense. Also, keep this in mind, this isn't even assuming the Habs win the cup. If they don't even win the cup or make the playoffs after making some trades for overpriced vets, the team is going to take YEARS of work to get back to where they were in terms of quality depth.

edit: typo

Bob's hands are so tied.

Well folks, pick your poison.

#1 - Bob gives away the farm for guys he won't be able to retain in Montreal in an overpriced trade market?

#2 - Bob stands pat and gives his team one last shot of confidence?

I'm going to have to go with #2. You can't fix a short term problem with a short term solution that sacrifices a long term commitment, it just doesn't make any sense. Also, keep this in mind, this isn't even assuming the Habs win the cup. If they don't even win the cup or make the playoffs after making some trades for overpriced vets, the team is going to take YEARS of work to get back to where they were in terms of quality depth.

edit: typo

Tony you made a good post. At worst case if BG stands pat, there will be some cap relief in free agents that leave. A small bit of retooling and just resign the absolute must have guys the team wants. Plus there are guys waiting on the farm for spots. :hlogo: