Game Thread | Montreal vs. Predators | 02/22/07

Spider-Man NL

They won didn't they, it doesn't matter who he picked, half of you would be seconds guessing him.

Amazing isn't it? :blink: I don't care if Carbo chooses Garth Murray/Craig Rivet/Aaron Downey to shoot as long as they get the job done! He went with the kids and we won.

End of story.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, Carbo gave the kids a chance which is what everyone was screaming for him to do when Perezhogin was on the bench. Don't complain when he uses him in the shootout. You can't have it both ways.

Halak doesn't seem to be NHL ready but at the same time he's doing his best and that's just enough to keep us in the game.

Great job by Murray, Samsonov, Plekanec, Streit & Bonk, I think. Markov had a bit of an off game.

Agree with the Gui benching. His penalty-taking made him just too dangerous to put on the ice against a team with a PP like Nashville does.

great character building game. another one to build on...

and I'm going to leave all the crap behind and celebrate this new found unity; not to mention timely saves by a decent goalie... showing signs of greatness.

I would like to keep Halak in the mix as long as possible and give him a real tryout. Hope that Carbo will be staying with his winning netminder and keeps this fire burning as long as possible.

My take on the game, overall.

Halak had a good game. He adds a great dimension puck handling and doesn't get himself in trouble doing so. He was good in the shootout as well. My thanks to Forsberg for blowing a tire on his attempt. Habs give up 3 PP goals, and Halak didn't really have a chance on any of them.

The D overall was pretty scrambly. They got caught more than once, but for a change, had the jump to get back when they were stuck up ice. Great play by Komisarek to get back, lift the stick, and not get a penalty on that play. Souray did well just to get enough of Sullivan to prevent an easy open net goal.

Best line (hardest working) was the Murray, Bonk, Johnson line. Hard working and great play on most shifts. It seems like whoever Carbonneau tosses on the wing of those two, their play is elevated. Samsonov-Plekanec-Kostitsyn were strong. Lots more hustle in Kosty than in his previous call ups. Hopefully this hustle stays with him. Sammy, good game. Great pass to Streit, and great hands at the top of the crease to roof it short side to send it into OT. Ryder-Koivu have it going on, especially on the PP, but Latendresse is struggling too much right now to warrant playing time on that line. Hopefully Higgins is ready to go. If there was a player I'd show the pressbox too next game, it would be Latendresse. The season has definitely taken a toll on him and I think it would be beneficial for the team and for Gui to sit a game or two. The 4th line, Lapierre really has some hustle and edge to his game.

The PP. This could get dangerous. Really dangerous. They've made some changes, they aren't just pumping it to Souray for every single shot. More often than not, working the pass through the slot to the open winger on the far side. It's nice to see actual puck movement. Kovalev coming back will make it even deadlier. The PK, not there best night.

Montreal played a decent game coming back from 3 2 goal deficits. Lots of heart and hopefully they can build off this win. I'm glad they face the Isles before the Leafs. Emotional come back last night for some reason and the potential is there for a let down on Long Island.

Who cares. After all, with brawls and the injuries the ice packs are required :P

Buffalo and Ottawa can beat each other to pulp. Works for me :clap: Let them kill each other because it's ugly!

Advantage Habs if they want to destroy each other. :P I hope it doesn't turn out to be a 3 pointer. Go Buffalo. Ottawa is more our enemy numbers wise.

How about the Habs? Their play is more reminicent of earlier in the season. Special teams on both counts are excellent.

We can get them

Go Habs GO!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197355&hubname=nhl

How do you figure Halak isn't ready? The D zone in front of him is the prroblem. The goalies are hung out to dry just about every night. Which goals should he have stopped?

Well, like I said he hasn't been letting in too many bad ones but he needs to practice stopping shots through traffic/ deflected shots. He hasn't really made any outstanding saves either. He's the best option right now but I could see him being lit up if the team has a crap night.

Well, like I said he hasn't been letting in too many bad ones but he needs to practice stopping shots through traffic/ deflected shots. He hasn't really made any outstanding saves either. He's the best option right now but I could see him being lit up if the team has a crap night.

You cant stop deflections.

You cant stop deflections.

If you are well positioned you can, but Halak is a small goalie, but they have to hit you. He cannot be blamed, but he has been hardly spectacular.

If Montreal is going to go on a run with him in net he has to make the saves he is not supposed to make.

If Cam Ward had just made the saves he was supposed to Montreal would have swept Carolina in 4. He was spectacular, making impossible saves. A goalie can break your back with bad goals, he can be average and stop the ones he is supposed to, or he can stand on his head and win you a game.

Halak is stopping the ones he is supposed to, and that is good enough for me.

Edited by Wamsley01

Halak is stopping the ones he is supposed to, and that is good enough for me.

He is still adjusting and I agree, compared to the goaltending Aebischer (and even Huet) was giving us for a while there, stopping the ones he is supposed to and not letting in REAL softies is a good change. Once he gets more used to his teammates and the NHL and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get even better. Also, while stopping deflections are tough some of the goals against him have been really unlucky (see Dandenault scoring on him and Sourrays double skate redirection).

Also, he deserves some credit for how well he played in the third period, overtime and the shootout against Nashville, he was very good.

Halak is the man, he's made a believer out of me.

Edited by gohabsgo252006

Personaly I dont think its fair to say that Halak isnt NHL ready. True, there has been a few soft goals, but for several of these goals it was more of a defensive lapse than his fault.

The only bad goal tonight that I thought he should have had was the 3rd goal when the guy in the corner shot the puck to the guy right out front. I dont claim to be phsycic but I saw that goal comming. Halak moved to his right when it would have been easier to just poke check the guy or the pass.

Either way the team obviously has confidence in him. Even when they were down 2-0 early on they never gave the impression that they were out of it. Thats the most important thing, that the team plays in front of him. ;)