Why do we have 3 free agent defencemen?

Strummerman

I have to ask myself how did we get ourselves in this mess? We have 3 veteran free agent defencemen going into the trade deadline. Obviously other teams know that and will deal from that vantage point. My point is why didn't we sign any of them during the year? What happens if they all leave at year-end if they are not traded??? Can we sign equivalent free agent defencemen? We all know what success Gainey has had luring free agents to Montreal.

Bouillon - Streit

Dandenault - Komisarek

Cote - Biron

I hope we can resign Markov. Then I hope we trade Souray for a package that include a Dman that can play at once.

ps.

If I see one post saying "U stoopid, Danenault only plays right D" or something like that the answer is "F O" becaus thats not the point. :D

Bouillon - Streit

Dandenault - Komisarek

Cote - Biron

I hope we can resign Markov. Then I hope we trade Souray for a package that include a Dman that can play at once.

ps.

If I see one post saying "U stoopid, Danenault only plays right D" or something like that the answer is "F O" becaus thats not the point. :D

ok then I'll just say U SOC !! pff a right handed D playing left, has the world gone mad ??

thats a great question you ask strummerman. all I know is that rivet was a savard signee. as for the other, I guess it's only a coincidence. in fact if souray wasn't having such a great year I don't think we'd be asking this question

I have to ask myself how did we get ourselves in this mess? We have 3 veteran free agent defencemen going into the trade deadline. Obviously other teams know that and will deal from that vantage point. My point is why didn't we sign any of them during the year? What happens if they all leave at year-end if they are not traded??? Can we sign equivalent free agent defencemen? We all know what success Gainey has had luring free agents to Montreal.

The other teams do not have an advantage. Forsberg will be a free agent and Nashville gave up alot for him. Kieth Tkachuk has been dealt (reportedly) for a mix of picks and a roster player and he's a free agent.

Sheldon Souray is the premier threat from the point in a PP situation in the NHL, and will command a huge return...maybe similar to what Philly received. He needs to be dealt.

If Rivet won't take a salary cut, he can walk. He can't really play in the new NHL except as a 5th or 6th defensman. Markov needs to be resigned. Hes a very good all-around defensman

Why didn't they re-sign them during the season? The cap. That's why the Leafs haven't re-upped Sundin and the Avs haven't completed a new contract for Sakic. Even if they re-signed them RIGHT now, a prorated portion of that contract gets tacked against this year's cap.

And technically, the Habs have 4 UDA d-men...little-used Niinimaa is also unrestricted.

The defense is awfull, i wish they had 6 unrestricted free agaents. This team will not improve by staying with the current D. They need 4 new D and serious help at center. The youth on the wings is outstanding.

montreal doesnt sign players during the season... except for koivu..

I heard (from nowhere reliable) that Gainey is close to giving Markov an extension. That would give him 4-5M per for 3-5 years.

IF Gainey does indeed have a policy of not discussing contracts with players during the season, then that's a stupid policy. This is an era of increased player mobility, and you HAVE to make roster moves based on that - e.g., dealing a UFA to make sure you get an asset back, instead of waving goodbye to him at season's end. But how can you know whether you have a real chance of re-signing a UFA unless you discuss it with him or his agent? I don't get it. Why deprive yourself of information? :huh:

I hope Rivet plays awesome tomorrow and is traded. Markov will be re signed for sure, as for Souray I really have no clue what will happen to him. I think I will be sad if he is traded but happy with what he can bring back in a trade and I think I will be sad if he is not traded and the Habs do not make the playoffs.

Ok a couple of things- even though I am not that crazy about Markov as some of you are, why would Markov sign here? It seems to me he will get just as much signing for a great team like the Wings or maybe the KIngs if he likes the limelight or he could sign with the Caps and join his old buddy Ovechkin or even sign with the Pens who seem to be one steady defenceman away from greatness. The only reason I see Markov remaining is the cap may hinder some teams like the Wings.

As for Souray, all signs seem to point to him leaving. I tend to doubt Gainey will trade him so we lose him as well. Rivet doesn't seem to be in our plans and I could see him signing with Toronto or Ottawa for next year.

All to say, if we don't trade these guys by Tuesday we may get nothing in return

Ok a couple of things- even though I am not that crazy about Markov as some of you are, why would Markov sign here?

Why wouldn't he? He just got his Canadian citizenship, so that means he's happy playing in Montreal. If he was so ready to bolt for greener pastures, why bother doing that? Why did Weight and Recchi leave the defending Stanley Cup champions last season? Pittsburgh had more questions than answers at the end of last season, but Recchi went back there. And Weight went back to St. Louis. St. Louis!!!! As much as we might like to trot out the complaint about athletes who top five concerns are money, cash, finances, dough and moolah, there is more to it than that. Yeah, Quebec has the highest taxation of any team in the league. But it's a hockey mad city that loves its team, and there's a few more of those in the league. But Markov has been in Montreal his entire career and the team has helped him grow as a player and a person. Maybe he just likes it in Montreal and wants to stay a little longer, and help make the team around him better.

Why wouldn't he? He just got his Canadian citizenship, so that means he's happy playing in Montreal. If he was so ready to bolt for greener pastures, why bother doing that? Why did Weight and Recchi leave the defending Stanley Cup champions last season? Pittsburgh had more questions than answers at the end of last season, but Recchi went back there. And Weight went back to St. Louis. St. Louis!!!! As much as we might like to trot out the complaint about athletes who top five concerns are money, cash, finances, dough and moolah, there is more to it than that. Yeah, Quebec has the highest taxation of any team in the league. But it's a hockey mad city that loves its team, and there's a few more of those in the league. But Markov has been in Montreal his entire career and the team has helped him grow as a player and a person. Maybe he just likes it in Montreal and wants to stay a little longer, and help make the team around him better.

The only thing though is the way Carbo has treated Kovy and Sammy this year. Markov I think likes to be among his fellow nationals. Carbo has been on Sammy's back from the beginning of the year and Kovy seems to be on the outs now. Maybe Carbo may be a sore point for Markov. Anyways I didn't know about him becoming a canadian citizen but didn't Oleg Petrov become a canadian citizen right before he was traded.

Edited by Strummerman

The only thing though is the way Carbo has treated Kovy and Sammy this year. Markov I think likes to be among his fellow nationals. Carbo has been on Sammy's back from the beginning of the year and Kovy seems to be on the outs now. Maybe Carbo may be a sore point for Markov. Anyways I didn't know about him becoming a canadian citizen but didn't Oleg Petrov become a canadian citizen right before he was traded.

Valid points. I know that during Markov's rookie year, the language difference was a major problem, and he was more of a private person, understandable for a young kid playing in a new country and the best league in the world. I don't think that's an issue any longer, and he and Komisarek play pretty well together, so maybe that extends off the ice as well. In addition, there's kids like Perezhogin and the Kostitsyn boys, maybe Markov can be the mentor to them just as he was mentored.

Edited by RobRock