RIVET TO SJ

JMMR

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit, when i just saw the trade was a big stunned, but at first glance i love the trade. Never have been a huge Rivet fan. Tons of heart, but his declining skills were not made for the new NHL. How Gainey got a young d-man(know very little about Georges, except he played in Kelowna in junior) and a first pick tells me the market is indeed great for an experienced d-man. Good luck to Craig, and good job Bob.

Who cares if he was drafted, he can play in the NHL. He is a good skater and moves the puck pretty well. A solid 5 or 6 dman who shouls be able to help. I beleive he is a LD, so that is telling me there will be a few more moves.

Nice getting a first rounder, they should be able to get a good youngster and a 1st rounder for Souray. Also i would expect Bouillon or Ninimaa moved as well.

I see this as a good move to get younger and changing the core.

What I don't get about Gorges is this: people are saying he'll be out 7th D-man, or go to Hamilton. But he averaged 17 minutes per game with the Sharks. Does that mean our D is better than the Sharks', or what? (And if it is, how come we're widely viewed as mediocre when the Sharks are supposed to be world-beaters?)

In any case, he's 23 and has two years of experience. That's a valuable asset no matter how you slice it. I find it hard to believe that a guy who took a regular shift with the Sharks won't do the same with us, if not now, then in a year or two.

And as many have noted : the emergence of Streit made this trade possible. :hlogo:

A would have to agree that this could be the end of Boullion in Montreal. With Marky, Souray and now Georges, Dandy, Komi and Streit, i would mind seeing the Cube leave.

i wouldn't mind seeing the cube leave.

Well one major problem dealt with. Kinda feel for Rivet then I think of how bad he has been ths year and the sympathy fanishes.

Now if we could get Boullion to go into the corner and take a hit to get the puck first rather than wait for the oppostion to get it so he doesn't take a hit.

A lot of heart shipped out with this deal. Rivet was a real presence, and was ready to take/throw punches at important times when the goon was in the pressbox. It's sad that he won't get to finish his career here.

At the same time, I just don't think there was any place left for him on the Habs roster. When Streit moved back to D with Rivet out and the youngsters from Ham filled in so well at forward, there was nobody that Carbo could sit on Saturday to give Rivet a chance - there were just 6 D who deserved to play more than he did. When you're making 2.5 whatever, and some other team is willing to take you for a first-rounder, that means it's time for you to go.

The draft pick is the real wild card here. Not just because any draft pick is a wild card, but the fact that the Sharks are in a big slump. There are a lot of games left between now and the end of the season, with a lot of teams bunched up in the standings. The pick could end up coming before Montreal's own, when all is said and done. Only 7 points seperate the two teams at the moment.

I would love it if Frank were traded as well but I doubt it will happen. Bouillion should be in top form now but he is just terrible loses so many puck battles and makes so many terrible decisions.

Wow, looks like Bouillon just replaced Rivet on the fans' 'Most hated Defencemen' list.

Give the guy a break - he had a serious, long-term injury. How quickly people forget! Before he went down Bouillon was probably the best 6th defenceman in hockey. He'll be that again. It's a Bonk scenario, a damaged player not really getting the mojo back until the following season. Which is not to say we shouldn't trade him if the right deal comes up.

this is a sad day for habs fans....Rivet was a warrior who gave his heart and soul to the Habs and their fans....Thank you for the many years of service Craig...you will be missed.

Rivetbilde.jpg

Is there a reason we couldn't sign him next year? Rivet has been a great habs, loyal, hard-working, ready to take one for the team in every way.

That said, this is an excellent trade. We're a young team who's best talent is either in it's first few years at the NHL or not there yet. Koivu and Souray perhaps excepted.

A first rounder plus a defenseman who made the NHL on a good team after one season in the A? SJ's second leading shot blocker? Even if he only goes to Hamilton he's filling up a shallow pool. Let's remember we made the Niniimma (sp?) trade because with Cote out we simply didn't have anyone in Hamilton we thought could play the minutes. Unlike NiniimaaFor Craig Rivet as a pure rental? If we like him so much bring him back. His won't even have to move.

Love Rivet, but I'm also realistic about his value as a rental player. I bet most folks are surprised we got so much. I am.

Edited by Bullsmith

Bob goes out and surprises us ALL; no rumors floating around about this on any of the blogs etc.....

Bob's just TCB........

It was such a secret they only spoke about it on Hockey Night in Canada on the Satelite Hot Stove. I think Montreal is going to have the same problem as last summer with their lack of ability to sign quality free agents. Rivet will be missed and those who think Souray is going to sign here are out to lunch.

Wow, looks like Bouillon just replaced Rivet on the fans' 'Most hated Defencemen' list.

Give the guy a break - he had a serious, long-term injury. How quickly people forget! Before he went down Bouillon was probably the best 6th defenceman in hockey. He'll be that again. It's a Bonk scenario, a damaged player not really getting the mojo back until the following season. Which is not to say we shouldn't trade him if the right deal comes up.

Frank makes 1.75 thats a lot for a 6th defender and he has been back from the injury long enogh that he should be in game shape both mentally and physically. His fart yesterday was the SOLE reason for the 3rd goal. He needs to shape up and start laying the body and using his speed more effectivley.

The problem not just with Bouillon with the D is there lack of mobiliy and they can't pass the puck. Georges can do both, he's not a superstar but will help. he will not go to Hamilton. There will be more movement on the back end. They now may be able to swing souray for a young center.

Part of the reason for this deal is the fact that Mathieu Biron has been playing well in Hamilton and is 6 years younger than Rivet. Biron is a UFA at the end of this season as well, and would cost a lot less to sign. They probably feel that Biron can fill in pretty adequately on the right side until such time as David Fischer or Mathieu Carle are ready to play.

It was such a secret they only spoke about it on Hockey Night in Canada on the Satelite Hot Stove. I think Montreal is going to have the same problem as last summer with their lack of ability to sign quality free agents. Rivet will be missed and those who think Souray is going to sign here are out to lunch.

Well I don't watch HNIC simply for the fact they employ Cherry, Cole etc... and everything is about the Leafs....I'll keep watching RDS to get my hockey fix. And did they mention this deal? Or were they (like every other website/blog) just throwing out some obvious names of UFA's etc..

My point was Bob just goes about the business of being the GM, we rarely hear and real/credible rumors;