Habs just picked up someone off waivers

Habsterr

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the habs can save some money and aebischer on waivers

No they can't. Waiver rules change dramatically now and besides, they don't save a cent. They have to pay his full salary even if he is sent down, and after noon today, they can't "send a guy down for cap relief" Besides, what is the point. The Habs had cap space to make a move and haven't used it yet.

Either Leighton can go down (unclear), or I have no idea what Bob was thinking. If he is keeping Leighton up and sending down Halak, that means he is going with Abbey as his number one (unless there is a last minute trade for another goalie).

If Abbey is our number one for the rest of the season, start booking early golf tee offs now...

No they can't. Waiver rules change dramatically now and besides, they don't save a cent. They have to pay his full salary even if he is sent down, and after noon today, they can't "send a guy down for cap relief" Besides, what is the point. The Habs had cap space to make a move and haven't used it yet.

Either Leighton can go down (unclear), or I have no idea what Bob was thinking. If he is keeping Leighton up and sending down Halak, that means he is going with Abbey as his number one (unless there is a last minute trade for another goalie).

If Abbey is our number one for the rest of the season, start booking early golf tee offs now...

No kidding.....Abby is brutal

Leighton is a veteran who might be needed if Aebischer or Halak get hurt... or if Aebischer or Halak continues to miss pucks. Nothing special but cheap experience to cover our butts.

He is no vet. He is 25 and played 4 games this year. He couldn't crack the lineup in Philly!

Leighton still qualifies as a prospect in my books. He is the same age as Danis, and has more AHL and NHL experience. He has better career numbers than Danis in the AHL, very close to Halak's. Interesting thing is that he is the same size as Carey Price, and they even look alike. It will be a bit spooky if they both end up playing goal for the same team.

Well, if we do not make the playoffs and Souray walks....THIS WILL BE A HUGE MISTAKE!

Either you are going for it or rebuilding....don't really understand the rationale behind today

I really thought that Souray would be dealt. Particularly after Burke traded Shane O'Brien for a first round pick. Burke and Gainey are both pretty stubborn guys though, and I guess neither of them would flinch.Burkie could have had his "Big Three" in Anaheim, :huh: , with Neidermeyer and Pronger. Oh well, hopefully this is a sign that Sheldon may be prepared to remain in Montreal beyond this season.

Well, if we do not make the playoffs and Souray walks....THIS WILL BE A HUGE MISTAKE!

Either you are going for it or rebuilding....don't really understand the rationale behind today

My thoughts exactly, Wamsley...If we are going for it....what did we add to achieve that??

My thoughts exactly, Wamsley...If we are going for it....what did we add to achieve that??

The only thing that would rationalize this for me is if Souray has somehow committed to Gainey to stay in Montreal. If he has not I really do not get what they are doing. Surely they are not just making a run to make the playoffs. Does Gainey believe that this core can win it? :o

Well, the Leafs made a small upgrade with Yanic.. but worse, the Islanders got Ryan Smyth!

Wow.. we might be on the outside looking in with them getting better and us having Abbey as our goalie...

Just heard the price for Smyth.. steep!

Still, if we added a vet goalie on the cheap, we would be okay...

We added a young, healthy, NHL experienced defenseman in place of an injury plagued Craig Rivet, and a young, healthy, NHL experienced netminder to fill in for Cristobal Huet. The improvement may be marginal, but the team is still better than it was a couple of days ago.

The only thing that would rationalize this for me is if Souray has somehow committed to Gainey to stay in Montreal. If he has not I really do not get what they are doing. Surely they are not just making a run to make the playoffs. Does Gainey believe that this core can win it? :o

I think Gainey hopes with Souray in we can win a round or two and make more money. That is worth something to the team, if not the fans.

I can assure you without Souray, we don't make the playoffs at all. Plus, the fans would be pissed.. trading Souray is waiving the white flag...

Well, the Leafs made a small upgrade with Yanic.. but worse, the Islanders got Ryan Smyth!

Wow.. we might be on the outside looking in with them getting better and us having Abbey as our goalie...

WHAAT?

Talk about dropping a bomb on the trade deadline!

Man would it be nice to have him. The Habs better tear off a big win streak.

Edited by Wamsley01

I can't believe how much they gave up for him!

Holy crap :blink:

We added a young, healthy, NHL experienced defenseman in place of an injury plagued Craig Rivet, and a young, healthy, NHL experienced netminder to fill in for Cristobal Huet. The improvement may be marginal, but the team is still better than it was a couple of days ago.

Sorry Bobby, maybe you misunderstood....If we are keeping Souray for a run (as opposed to trading him while we can)...what did we do to improve our chances of a run. Please dont use Gorges and Leighton as an answer to that question

Sorry Bobby, maybe you misunderstood....If we are keeping Souray for a run (as opposed to trading him while we can)...what did we do to improve our chances of a run. Please dont use Gorges and Leighton as an answer to that question

I understood perfectly, and answered the question that was asked. Montreal is a BETTER TEAM now, than it was two days ago, BECAUSE THEY ADDED JOSH GORGES AND MICHAEL LEIGHTON. Comprende?

These guys didn't make it to the NHL because they had relatives in high positions, they made it because they had excellant junior careers followed by excellant minor league careers. They are both legitimate NHL players, they are both healthy, and both relatively young. What's to complain about? In addition Gainey managed to free up cap space and acquire a significant asset for the future.

If you think Gorges and Leighton improve our team you are kidding yourself.

Would San Jose trade a kid and a 1st for Craig Rivet if he was that good?

Leighton just passed through waivers and is on his 4th team at 25 years of age.

Gainey is essentially telling the guys in the room it is on you.

That would be an acceptable stance, but our goaltending is a small concern.

If Halak can not carry the load the playoffs are gone, and we have not changed the face of this 7-9th place team for next season.

Ryan Smyth was too expensive for a rental, unless you make a deal to sign him long term.

We needed a solid vet goaltender since we lost Huet, but we didn't get it. That leaves us weak in goal, period.

If all they did was get Belfour for a pick, I would be happy. If they got Belfour and say, Yannic, I would be very happy.

I am very worried about the Islanders though. They just got way better and it will be tough to beat them out for a spot. Even the leaf's improved, since Yannic will help them a great deal, but I am not sure that was enough if Raycroft plays like he did last night...

Ryan Smyth was too expensive for a rental, unless you make a deal to sign him long term.

We needed a solid vet goaltender since we lost Huet, but we didn't get it. That leaves us weak in goal, period.

If all they did was get Belfour for a pick, I would be happy. If they got Belfour and say, Yannic, I would be very happy.

I am very worried about the Islanders though. They just got way better and it will be tough to beat them out for a spot. Even the leaf's improved, since Yannic will help them a great deal, but I am not sure that was enough if Raycroft plays like he did last night...

Yanic Perrault is not a game changing player. He is a great luxury and complimentary player on a contending team because he is such a great faceoff weapon. But we know first hand that he is not going to make anybody around him better and he does not impact weak teams to make them great teams.

He did not make Phoenix any better, he did not stop us from getting spanked in the playoffs a couple of times. But it is a typical Toronto move, trade 1 of your depth prospects and a 2nd rounder for a guy who might get you a couple of home playoff dates.

And that is a big gamble by the Isles. If he does not resign that will blow up in their face. But a trip to the Conference Finals helps their deteriorating fanbase, a trip to the Conference Finals does nothing for Montreal.

Edited by Wamsley01

I understood perfectly, and answered the question that was asked. Montreal is a BETTER TEAM now, than it was two days ago, BECAUSE THEY ADDED JOSH GORGES AND MICHAEL LEIGHTON. Comprende?

These guys didn't make it to the NHL because they had relatives in high positions, they made it because they had excellant junior careers followed by excellant minor league careers. They are both legitimate NHL players, they are both healthy, and both relatively young. What's to complain about? In addition Gainey managed to free up cap space and acquire a significant asset for the future.

Wow, your standards are very low man. You must be far less frustrated than I am today, watching our adversaries sign guys like Ryan Smyth.

You do realize this is the same Leighton that got shelled by the Laffs twice this month, dont you??

Halak can't "carry the load", and management doesn't expect him to. I would bet money that he goes back to Hamilton and Leighton and Aebisher share the load for the balance of the season and whatever playoff games they manage. Halak is a good young prospect, but when it comes to the crunch Carbo is going to go with the NHL tested guys, and David Aebischer and Michael Leighton are the best options there.