Montreal Media or Habs Fans?

CoRvInA

I would like to point at this rather average report posted on RDS

entitled: Gainey stays Mute

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/224341.html

for those of you who can read french and those of u who cant here is just two main points:

1. The article states: Gainey's inactions ..."provoqué beaucoup d'insatisfaction chez les partisans du Canadien."

First this means Gainey seemingly DID NOT CHOSE TO MOVE based on his own resolve on the deadline and in no way whatsoever did the other 29 teams unwillingness to part with players become a factor in this.

Second where are the poll results that we voted Yes We are upset at Gainey's inaction I VOTED NO I am not upset but where is this "beaucoup" of fans reported?

And that Gainey has stayed mute since 48 hours ago also has us very upset? Don't you mean the media is upset because they ahve nothing to report? and thats why u write and stir up Shite as retaliation?

2. Later on the article not only wants to stick their buggery fingers at the GM but also at the newly acquired Dman Josh Gorges and his relationship with Guy Carbo and how he was promissed to play in NY and that obviously the Coach had chosen not to do so.

3. And to top it all off they have to pick on Abby and state even if Abby himself said he was upset because they had lost that obviously he was hiding the fact that he was more upset because they chose to play the KID instead of him!

I've read worse but this is an example of how INFESTING CRAP comes not from Toronto not from Ottawa but ITS HOME GROWN! in MTL!!!

Edited by CoRvInA

It's been like that for three days now, the media's are angry at Bob not the fans. The worst article was by Bertrand Raymond with a cry of heart not from a colomnist but from a fan. Followed by CKAC Fournier, Villeneuve and Dubé all crying and claiming Bobs head for not moving.

I simply turned all medias down, got sick of what i was hearing and reading, and watching at RDS.

But thanks it's not them with the GM chair.

It's Bob, they claim he is keeping money left from payroll cap....maybe. Personally i do not care about that.

We have a lot of kids to get under contracts for next season including Emelin and Price for pro contract.

So it's not all about cap space its how you invest your money and make the coach and players responsible for their work and effort.

It really boggles the mind that these sports pundits have paying jobs. Do people actually care what they think? Do you really need some guy telling you his opinion about the habs?

Unlike politics, or some other field of human interest, sports is pretty simple stuff. Sport is all about execution, there really isnt much to discuss when a team cant deliver, its all pretty obvious what the faults are, and what isnt is supposed to be pointed out by the commentators. Who really cares what some analysts say 2 days later? I dunno, sorry about the rant, it just baffles me that these guys have a job, sports writers are so useless.

Edited by Dirty Harry

I have to say that it is a combination of both the media and the fans in Montreal.... so much pressure and such a high level of expectation to excel is placed upon this organization. Partly due to a winning tradition and a cultural atmosphere?

Combined the two create little tolerance for losing or ongoing mediocrity.

Followers of the Habs due not expect them to just compete for the Cup? Winning is absolute in this environment!

Whether that is a realistic expectation, or not is irrelevant - it is just a fact of life for this organization.

Finishing 2nd isn't good enough......

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

p.s. as for the French media - this type of biased crap is despicable! Shame on them every time they stoop to this level of ignorance :puke: :wall::angry:

Edited by beliveau1

Habs fans and media that expect the Candadiens to make a big splash in either the free agency market or at the trade deadline need to start following other teams. Burke in Anaheim is always entertaining, as are the NYR (boy, their free spending days were littered with cups eh? At least they got "superstars".)

I agree with the two first posts. The media pretend to represent the fans, but in fact, I rarely feel that my opinions are represented by them. They pretend to be experts, but any one of them would do worst than Rejean Houle did... I hate french media (I'm french myself), they're prone to hate english people like Gainey, even if he's highly respected by everyone else.

I just discovered this forum and I'm sincerely surprised of how people here have intelligent opinions. People here actually EXPLAIN the WHYs of their opinions.

As Pierre the Great just wrote, they're fans who always complain. Reading the talkbacks on rds is depressing. I find this forum quite refreshing.

The fans who act like a bunch of morons are driving me crazy and the media isn't helping them out.

Let's get one thing straight here, if you think you could do a better job than Bob Gainey then send your damn resumes to the Bell Centre and stop your whining already!

The fans who act like a bunch of morons are driving me crazy and the media isn't helping them out.

Let's get one thing straight here, if you think you could do a better job than Bob Gainey then send your damn resumes to the Bell Centre and stop your whining already!

Couldn't agree more. :clap:

Exactly what I said in an earlier post - I wasn't too popular as a result of it :) :lool: :monkey: :eyes:

Edited by beliveau1

Oh this forum is as about as sane as you can get but sometimes people just start to panic like there is no tomorrow.

Example: When Gainey signed Traverse people on here acted like the world was going to end.

Anytime when the Habs were winning some people were criticizing.

I see a lot of New York Yankee fan in a lot of Habs fan. I don't know what the deal is maybe its the fact that I live a 1,000 miles but its been crazy. This is the first full year I've been actively on this board through the whole season.

All the fans seem to need a scape goat. The fans overall come off to me as a cynical over critical over analyze bunch.

It's a combo of both, but this time around, the Media seem/sound to be worse than the fans.

Fans were content with the Rivet trade. Media too.

however, the difference is that media thought that BG had a duty to trade on deadline day.

Fans seem to have assessed what we had to pay to be buyers...

and seem to have assessed that souray might be more valuable to us than on the trade table.

however, the difference is that media thought that BG had a duty to trade on deadline day.

Fans seem to have assessed what we had to pay to be buyers...

uhm where were you on trade day? I seem to remember tons of threads that went on for 7 pages or so saying where's bob, should we trust bob, what's wrong with this team etc.

uhm where were you on trade day? I seem to remember tons of threads that went on for 7 pages or so saying where's bob, should we trust bob, what's wrong with this team etc.

Meh. Well fans like to copy everyone else. Start a thread about how terrible Gainey/Carbo/Samsonov/Perezhogin, etc is and you'll get a ton of support. Start a thread about how one of those guys is underrrated and is actually very good and you still get a ton of support. The first couple of replies usually set the tone for everyone else.

WTF is wrong with people? I have read and been involved with these threads and just because people are criticizing the deadline deals does not mean that they think they are smarter than Gainey, or trashing Gainey. Some may, but the majority of the fans are frustrated and rightly so. The Habs have dropped from a lock to fighting for their lives!

It is called opinions. If Koivu makes a cross ice pass and it gets picked and put in the back of the net and everybody is pissed off at Koivu does not mean they do not like him and it does not mean they think they could do better. I am willing to bet every single one of you has been pissed at Abby this year for one of his brutal goals. So why don't you go get your goalie gear and strap it on and call up Carboneau and get a try out, if not....shut your mouth.

IT IS A MESSAGEBOARD WITH OPINIONS!!! If you want to hear your own opinions alone what are you doing here? This is the point of this forum. This is one of the best boards for habs discussion, so get used to it.

Edited by Wamsley01

This is like the whole which came first "the chicken or the egg" line.

If the fans chirp enough the media catches on a runs with it. If the media prints something the fans didn't know ( and its bad) then the fans do the same.

It's all dumb either way....none of us can change anything.

Fans just need the opportunity to vent, media need the paychecks.

Both. Sorry I'm going to get flamed for this but you both are idiots.

No problem i am from Quebec and i am used to being called and idiot or hot dog eater by

a so called Pierre The Great :P It's just history repeating itself.

Sorry but that is BS and narrow minded. If you go through life without questioning things you will be very disappointed and probably very broke.

I am not in Montreal, don't speak french, don't get any medium from Montreal news nor do I, or many other fans, think I am better then Bob Gainey...at any facet of evaluating hockey. I do in fact trust Mr. Gainey's judgement...BUT I also reserve the right to question it. Think of it as voting for the Conservative Party but questioning some of the moves of Mr. Harper...we SHOULD be questioning these things...and yes, I do rate my Habs as important as our Feds...lol.

Despite not living in Montreal, not speaking french and never listening/seeing Montreal media I am actually amused that many of my opinions seem to be in this media, and that many of you think it's not espousing the fans voice.

It's not about making moves for the sake of it. Buy or Sell...it didn't matter...the point is that the status quo is not working. So why did we stay with the status quo? Why didn't we either trade some pending UFA's to grab some youth and picks AND give our prospects NHL time the remainder of the year...OR why didn't we go out and buy a couple of pieces? I could live with and trust Gainey to make the right decision and handle a move either way...but to not move at all????? Yeah, I reserve the right to question that...and it doesn't mean I think I'm better then Gainey.

I guarantee you that if Gainey said "we need to move in this direction" and made some moves...then some people would disagree and some would agree but they would be arguing about if we're moving in the right direction. At least a re-stocking of youth provides hope and direction...or if we were buyers then it would have provided hope for the playoffs and Cup...doing nothing said "we are mediocre and we're happy with it for now".

Edited by Zowpeb

I guarantee you that if Gainey said "we need to move in this direction" and made some moves...then some people would disagree and some would agree but they would be arguing about if we're moving in the right direction.

Not making a move was also chosing a direction: that direction is 2009. So the choice, IMO, was to not sacrifice prospects for immediate help, and not sacrifice players that might help us in the near future. From a developmental perspective, we have better chance to make the playoffs with Souray. Even if we make only one round and lose in 5 games against Buffalo, that means more playoff experience for the key young players like Komi, Higgins, Lats and others.

Moreover, most fans and media people saw the trade deadline as THE moment of crucial decision. IMO that crucial moment is this summer: the entry draft brings alot of trade opportunities (we have 2 first round pics!) and the free agency will be very important for us this summer as the players we'll sign will be with us for the fatidic 2009 spring.

Not making a move was also chosing a direction: that direction is 2009.

Brings to mind that Rush lyric: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

I agree. Gainey is sticking to a plan that will make the Habs a contender, not just in 2009, but for years afterward. I'm not sure we'll ever see him give up a lot of prospects (like Atlanta or NYI) for a rental player. He'll pick his moments (like Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev), but I doubt he'll mortgage a big piece of the future.

So, maintaining mediocrity and prolonging the youth movement till 2009 was the choice?? Don't be such apologists...

Potentially one round of the playoffs is the only benefit you can name in keeping high end UFA's on a mediocre team? And this was better then the package of prospects and draft picks we could have had? OR, how deep would the team have gone if it was a buyer and grabbed an equivalent to San Jose in Guerin and Rivet type d-man?

I'm not debating which move was better...only that EITHER of those moves would have been better than saying "we'll do nothing. That way we don't maximize our future potential and we don't maximize our short term potential...because, really, we only care about 2009...". I will not be an apologist for that mentality in the organization.

My only hope is that Gainey has a verbal committment from Souray that he'll probably be back. If not this was a major blunder...

So, maintaining mediocrity and prolonging the youth movement till 2009 was the choice?? Don't be such apologists...

Potentially one round of the playoffs is the only benefit you can name in keeping high end UFA's on a mediocre team? And this was better then the package of prospects and draft picks we could have had? OR, how deep would the team have gone if it was a buyer and grabbed an equivalent to San Jose in Guerin and Rivet type d-man?

I'm not debating which move was better...only that EITHER of those moves would have been better than saying "we'll do nothing. That way we don't maximize our future potential and we don't maximize our short term potential...because, really, we only care about 2009...". I will not be an apologist for that mentality in the organization.

My only hope is that Gainey has a verbal committment from Souray that he'll probably be back. If not this was a major blunder...

I don't consider myself an 'apologist'. There's nothing to apologize for. I believe that Gainey feels he is not far away (a season or 2) from having a contending team. Do you trade away your big gun on defence in that situation? I don't think so - he's going to be a part of it, if he re-signs. Yes, this is a gamble - but if we always get rid of UFA-to-be's, we'll always be mediocre - at best. (I won't even mention the obvious fact that we don't know what was offered, so we can't judge Gainey for not accepting it). Being a buyer and getting Guerin means we would have had to mortgage some piece of the future. I believe this was closer to what Gainey would have done, but we saw some pretty high prices exacted for these players at the deadline, and my guess is that Bob was of the same mind as Burke and others: the asking price was too high for a rental. Again, this would go against the concept I mentioned - Bob's not just trying to build a contending team, but a team that will consistently contend. There's a difference.

In reply to the question posed by the thread title: it's the fans.

I hope your not too dissapointed if it doesnt happen

:rolleyes:

I'd be very disappointed. Surprised, too.

Edited by Mont Royale

Montreal fans are, *in general* (I'm not saying anything specific about people here), the worst fans in the league. They think they know everything, they think they deserve everything, and if you ask fans of other teams around the hockey world which group of fans they hate most, it'll come down to a contest with us and Leaf fans, and we probably get the nod as the worst.

The Montreal media is the worst group of media on the planet in any sport, or, indeed any activity around. They make the gossip pages in Britain look tame, they make the Enquirer look relevent, and they are a complete embarassment to the Canadiens, to the fans of the Canadiens, and to hockey in general. For every Red Fischer there are a hundred 110% guys. The worst is that, not only do they think they know better, but because of their position, they use their position to inflame and propogandize the public with their inflammatory and hateful opinions (read: Ribeiro garbage).

Quite honestly, at times it's excruciatingly embarassing to be a fan of the Habs. You have to go around explaining why the fans and media think Murray and a 2nd round pick for LeCavalier is a good thing and how, no, you don't agree with it at all. Then, somehow, you have to explain away the bigotry and nonsense from the people at 110% who should not even be allowed on the air with their commentary.

The only reason Don Cherry gets more flak (and rightly so) is because his bigotry is done on the Canadian public broadcasting station.

Personally, the longer I have to listen to the tripe from fans and media alike, the further away from the Habs I'm pushed - the further away from hockey I'm pushed.

Montreal fans are, *in general* (I'm not saying anything specific about people here), the worst fans in the league. They think they know everything, they think they deserve everything, and if you ask fans of other teams around the hockey world which group of fans they hate most, it'll come down to a contest with us and Leaf fans, and we probably get the nod as the worst.

The Montreal media is the worst group of media on the planet in any sport, or, indeed any activity around. They make the gossip pages in Britain look tame, they make the Enquirer look relevent, and they are a complete embarassment to the Canadiens, to the fans of the Canadiens, and to hockey in general. For every Red Fischer there are a hundred 110% guys. The worst is that, not only do they think they know better, but because of their position, they use their position to inflame and propogandize the public with their inflammatory and hateful opinions (read: Ribeiro garbage).

Quite honestly, at times it's excruciatingly embarassing to be a fan of the Habs. You have to go around explaining why the fans and media think Murray and a 2nd round pick for LeCavalier is a good thing and how, no, you don't agree with it at all. Then, somehow, you have to explain away the bigotry and nonsense from the people at 110% who should not even be allowed on the air with their commentary.

The only reason Don Cherry gets more flak (and rightly so) is because his bigotry is done on the Canadian public broadcasting station.

Personally, the longer I have to listen to the tripe from fans and media alike, the further away from the Habs I'm pushed - the further away from hockey I'm pushed.

:clap:

That's basically what's happening to me as well. If this was baseball the Habs are the Yankees. If you've ever listened to a Yankee fan on the radio it's pretty much a habs fan.

I rather be a crazy canucks fan who's had too much coffee sometimes with then a Habs fan. I want to have fun being a fan. That's what it's about ultimately, to have fun. I don't see that with Habs fans in general.

:clap:

That's basically what's happening to me as well. If this was baseball the Habs are the Yankees. If you've ever listened to a Yankee fan on the radio it's pretty much a habs fan.

I rather be a crazy canucks fan who's had too much coffee sometimes with then a Habs fan. I want to have fun being a fan. That's what it's about ultimately, to have fun. I don't see that with Habs fans in general.

Thats not true.

They lost last night but that was a fun game because they scored 5 times against a good team

I didnt see the canucks scoring 5 against the sabres

Edited by TheWhale