Time for Komisarek to step up in place of Rivet

bobby

Big Mike moves up a notch on the depth chart on the right side. He needs to step up his play accordingly, and supply the aspects that Rivet took with him to San Jose. In your face physical play, lockerroom leadership, and the willingness to drop the gloves more often than he does. The door is open for Komo to become more than just a top four defenseman.

True - I would expect Carbonneau to be sending him just that kind of a message right now.

He was ahead of Rivet before Rivet got traded. Komisarek has been matched up aginst the other teams top line all season. The only reason Komis doesn't have more ice time is because he doesn't play the PP.

He wasn't ahead of Rivet. Rivet played more minutes per game, and was on the ice in more key situations.

Roughly 30 whole seconds per game...

At even strength, they had about even minutes. Rivet saw more PP (Komi saw almost none) and Komi played more on the penalty kill.

Your math isn't too good. Rivet averaged over 21 minutes per game, Komisarek 19+. There was close to a 2 minute per game difference, which is fairly substantial.

I misread, I thought Rivet was listed at 20:04, not 21:04. Even so, the difference between them is 100 seconds, so basically two shifts a game. That's a result of the PP time he saw. At even strenght and on the penalty kill, they saw equal time, and it was Komi who was already going up against the other teams top line usually.

Big Mike moves up a notch on the depth chart on the right side. He needs to step up his play accordingly, and supply the aspects that Rivet took with him to San Jose. In your face physical play, lockerroom leadership, and the willingness to drop the gloves more often than he does. The door is open for Komo to become more than just a top four defenseman.

He already was ahead of him. Komisarek needs to continue to develop and become a solid top 4 defensman. He's not quite there yet. Too inconsistant

However you spin it, Komisarek was NOT ahead of Rivet this season on the depth chart. He may have passed him by season's end, but that is academic now. The thing Komo has to do is step it up in the department that Rivet specialized in, ie, making life miserable for anyone who tried to crowd the front of the net and making sure no one took liberties with the smaller members of the team. Also filling the leadership vacuum to some extent at least. Mike is 25 now, he should be approaching his peak. He is easily capable of taking his game up another very substantial level. He has more natural talent than Souray ever did.

However you spin it, Komisarek was NOT ahead of Rivet this season on the depth chart. He may have passed him by season's end, but that is academic now. The thing Komo has to do is step it up in the department that Rivet specialized in, ie, making life miserable for anyone who tried to crowd the front of the net and making sure no one took liberties with the smaller members of the team. Also filling the leadership vacuum to some extent at least. Mike is 25 now, he should be approaching his peak. He is easily capable of taking his game up another very substantial level. He has more natural talent than Souray ever did.

From the interviews I've heard him in he's a good guy and not just your usual jock spitting out clichés.

Reply of the topic title : it was already done...

LMAO, my opinion too...

IMO, Rivet was more of a veteran presence than a "leader"

Souray is a leader

Koivu is a leader on the ice

Rivet is a veteran presence

As for Defensive play... Komo was already used a tad more than Rivet 5 on 5 and on the PK... I just looked at the numbers and the slight advantage to Rivet is due to PP time :huh:

Mike's drawback as an hockey player is probably that he is TOO nice. Gentle giants are loved everywhere outside the sporting arena. As competitive athletes they can be very frustrating.

Jan Bulis recently said that Rivet was the team leader while he was with the Canadiens. That wasn't so long ago.

Mike's drawback as an hockey player is probably that he is TOO nice. Gentle giants are loved everywhere outside the sporting arena. As competitive athletes they can be very frustrating.

Perhaps before calling him a gentle giant you should watch these:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xAnR1ntAMM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEdbAyPNUTY

Simply put...what has been the Habs top pairing this season defensively. Markov-Komisarek. Ding!!! Who would I rather have, Komisarek or Rivet? Hmm, how 'bout Mike. If the Habs traded #8 for Gorges and a #1, I'd be ticked off.

Komisarek has been excellent this year. He deserves as much credit as Radek Bonk does for shutting down top offensive players. Komisarek has dominated players like Ovechkin and Sundin this year pounding them when he gets the chance. He may also me the most protective guy of the Canadiens goalies he hates when they get touched.

As for beaing a leader I believe he is growing in that manner quite well with Higgins I have heard both of them in interviews say things others don't and you can tell he expects a lot from himself and his team mates. Komisarek is a great defenseman and I can not wait for him to get a few chances on the PP.

Obviously Komisarek has a lot more value than Rivet. A 25 year old just reaching his prime years vs. a 32 year old UFA on the downside of his career. No one questions that. Point is that Rivet was a vital figure on the teams blueline right up to the time of the trade, and has been the third most active defenseman on the team for the past few years. Komo has to assume those additional minutes and rev up his physical game a notch or two to compensate for the loss of Rivet is all I'm saying. Josh Gorges is not that type of defender, and they don't really have anyone on the horizon that can do it. I'm skeptical of O'Byrne's future, and Emelin/Valentenko are a ways away yet.

I don't have any doubts that Komo can do it, but maybe Carbo and Gainey have to underline the urgency to him in terms of the balance of this season. Souray alluded to that in his comments after the last game. A lot of players on the team are not showing the kind of desperation that circumstances dictate. Mike is certainly not one of the worst offenders, on a team that includes Kovalev, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn, but he may have the biggest untapped upside of anyone on the team and it is time to start tapping that huge potential.

Edited by bobby

Obviously Komisarek has a lot more value than Rivet. A 25 year old just reaching his prime years vs. a 32 year old UFA on the downside of his career. No one questions that. Point is that Rivet was a vital figure on the teams blueline right up to the time of the trade, and has been the third most active defenseman on the team for the past few years. Komo has to assume those additional minutes and rev up his physical game a notch or two to compensate for the loss of Rivet is all I'm saying. Josh Gorges is not that type of defender, and they don't really have anyone on the horizon that can do it. I'm skeptical of O'Byrne's future, and Emelin/Valentenko are a ways away yet.

I don't have any doubts that Komo can do it, but maybe Carbo and Gainey have to underline the urgency to him in terms of the balance of this season. Souray alluded to that in his comments after the last game. A lot of players on the team are not showing the kind of desperation that circumstances dictate. Mike is certainly not one of the worst offenders, on a team that includes Kovalev, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn, but he may have the biggest untapped upside of anyone on the team and it is time to start tapping that huge potential.

I would agree with this assessment of what the original post was getting at - Komisarek is already a solid defenceman on this blueline - there is no real doubt as to that fact. However the departure of Rivet means that Komisarek must now take his game to the next level. For old timers here it is much like watching Larry Robinson as he grew into his role with the Habs. He went from a young player with potential, to a solid defender before he finally stepped it up to be the mainstay on defence.

Whether he played a minute or two less already is not the point - he now has to take his game to the next level in order for this team to be a Cup contender. He needs to become more dominant than he has already shown so far?

I agree about going to the next level, but what is that Komi's case? He is the most physical D man the Habs have, he (I think) has the best plus/minus on the team, his skating and offense will not improve much, and he is not a fighter. He goes for the big alot (which i like) however Markov (great D man) doesn't cover for the hits much, Maybe a stay at home defender like Gorges would be a better fit for Komi. Dandy with Markov, so Markov can open up the offense a bit.

I agree about going to the next level, but what is that Komi's case? He is the most physical D man the Habs have, he (I think) has the best plus/minus on the team, his skating and offense will not improve much, and he is not a fighter. He goes for the big alot (which i like) however Markov (great D man) doesn't cover for the hits much, Maybe a stay at home defender like Gorges would be a better fit for Komi. Dandy with Markov, so Markov can open up the offense a bit.

He's still growing into the type of defender he is actually capable of being - even better and that means stepping your game up a bit? It's not really a criticism of his game, just a fact that he is capable of being a major asset = requires even more from him.....