Hey fellow Habs fans: Ninnima

TheDude

Hey gang,

Lifelong Habs fan here...

I was wondering lately if the following move would make sense to you guys for next year....so bear with me!

Janne Ninnima has been playing excellent hockey for the past few games. His attitude in the locker room has been exemplary when you consider what he went through (being benched).

Would you guys think it would be a good move to re-sign this D-man if he accepted a pay cut?

I also think that Gorges (the guy we got for Rivet) needs to play next year. He is mobile, makes superb passes and skates well.

So that means that if we re-sign Markov and Souray (we will) we will have too many D-men on our hands.

If we re-sign Ninnima and accept that Cote will be our 7th D-man next year...who would you trade?

I think Bouillon is the guy to move. He is not the same since his injury. He has next to no offensive value. He has heart to sell but his skating and overall play is poor this year.

However he still has value on the market...why not trade him?

That would leave us with this

Markov - Komi

Souray - Ninnima

Dandenault - Gorges

Cote as 6th D-man

Streit as D-man + forward.

What say you?

Maybe if Montreal signed him cheap. I'm not sure he'd get much of an offer elsewhere, and being that he's more familiar with Montreal now, he may not mind coming back if he's given an opportunity to play.

I like Bouillon because of his tenacity, but I also like Dandenault because he's versatile. Though, neither is having their best season, but they both have the potential to be reliable guys.

The thought that Montreal may have too many defensemen to deal with is a good once considering we were all wondering if we'd even have enough not too long ago.

Niinimaa in a nutshell:

1. Had a great start, paired with Dandenault.

2. Foolishly made "The Prediction".

3. Started going downhill, play suffered

4. Benched for a long time as a result

5. He comes back a new man and playing pretty solid hockey.

Conclusion: Re-sign him, with a pay cut of course.

It would have to be quite a substantial pay cut. If it's the right amount, and Carbo's going to play him on his correct side, then it's worth it. The problem of course is that injuries may force us to play him on the wrong side again next year, and if so, watch out. While he's great on his right side, he's quite awful on his wrong side. I'd rather keep another guy who doesn't play as bad on his wrong side, as injuries are part of hte game and this is almost definitely going to happen at some point.... of course, I'm not acutally sure if any of our other d-men were played on their wrong side this year? Does anyone know? and how'd they do?

Dandy is more versatile than Niiniimaa I think, plays more positions... There's also Streit who you left out of the D pairings, but frankly, I'd rather have him on D and make room for the youth movement we have coming in on Forward... We have lots of players who may be able to make the jump and not as much depth on D.

1 million - no more.

I also like how he flips the puck outside the zone too high for attackers to swing at it. He's lobbed it up (from our zone) and down just outside the enemy blueline where one of our attackers is waiting for it.

KEEP DOING THIS JANNE :clap:

No point in keeping vet bit players. Have to spend money wisely. We have the option of Streit at $600k back there, Gorges at $475k-$500k, or a rookie in his role (Cote/Emelin). I'd rather they got it. Niinimaa should take a decent finish to the year and parlay that into getting a 1 year contract with a different team.

We still should consider moving one of our 3rd pairing guys, though. You can't have that much $$$ tied up in depth guys.

Komi needs a new contract, and he's better than all the guys we're talking about here (Bouillon, Dandy, Streit, Janne, Gorges). Priorities, people. Komi will be looking for a deal similar to what Rivet got a few years back, and we should get him signed to it.

If Janne helps stabilize the D to help us get into the playoffs, then we got something out of this trade. We can leave it at that. As for next year, we need to get our top 3 in order and sacrifices will have to be made to our depth guys in order to do it.

The D needs to be revamped. I beleive you will see only Markov resigned. I would think that BG will also try to move either Dandy or Bouillon. I also think he will try and sign a different UFA D man, (Hannon, Timonin) someone like that. Souray for what he brings is not worth even 4 mill. Great Shot, but doesn't help elsewhere.

Back to the post, If Ninimaa wants to resign for a little less money, he would be a good 5 or 6 D man paired with Gorges.

They need more speed and puck movers on the back end

I was excited about the prospect of Niinni coming to Montreal at the beginning of the season. But he just hasn't played well until recently.

It's kinda like letting a child molestor out on probation and since he has one good week without molesting children, you make him an elementary school teacher.

I don't think this guy is worth the risk, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that we have good d-men in the system waiting for a chance (especially in Russia).

No defenceman deserves to be judged when playing on his wrong side. Remember the -34 season that officially made Brisebois the Fans' Whipping Boy? He was wrong-sided all season.

So IMO the jury is still out on Ninimaa.

It all depends on the price. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of a 'youth movement' on D because young defencemen typically take a long time to develop - if we throw a bunch of young guns into the fire, we can kiss next season goodbye. So, there's something to be said for re-signing vets, especially cheap vets with an upside who will accept sitting out and making room any for hot young D-men, etc. $800 000 would be a good deal for Ninimaa.

Well, there's not really much point in re-signing Ninimaa because I don't think he'd want to return in a reserve role.

Yes, he has said all the right things while being benched but he's also said time and time again that he'd like to go somewhere where he could play regularly. He's only not complaining because he's a team player and he's some ego-driven pseudo-star player.

Niniimaa has been playing well lately, but he won't be back next year. For now (and the playoffs) Streit should be playing forward as he adds a defensive element to his pairing and can play D if someone is injured (rather than having to give more minutes to the regular D and wear them out).. but next year? Streit on D.. he will have improved even more by next year..

Markov-Komi

Souray-Gorges

Streit-Cote

Bouillon-Dandenault

I like having 8 defenceman.

The D needs to be revamped. I beleive you will see only Markov resigned. I would think that BG will also try to move either Dandy or Bouillon. I also think he will try and sign a different UFA D man, (Hannon, Timonin) someone like that. Souray for what he brings is not worth even 4 mill. Great Shot, but doesn't help elsewhere.

Back to the post, If Ninimaa wants to resign for a little less money, he would be a good 5 or 6 D man paired with Gorges.

They need more speed and puck movers on the back end

I think I agree with the revamping idea here... we can't have too many 4-6 D's, and right now, that's exactly what we have with Dandy, Bouillon, Niinimaa, and Gorges.

Realistically, on good teams, Dandy and Bouillon are not a 3rd and 4th D.

We need

-Markov and Komi as the first pair

-Three of Streit, Gorges, Dandy, Boully, Niniimaa kept to fill out the 3 bottom positions left,

-Then, either Souray stays (for no more than 4 million, so I don't think he'll stay) or some UFA D like Hannon/Timonin to be the 3rd guy...

-Give a rookie (Cote?) the chance to be the 7th D.

We do need more puckmoving ability on the back end, I think Gorges is part of that solution and so is Streit. Before the Streit at forward experiment, he was one of our better blueliners.

Realistically, most nights Markov is our only puckmover back there. Souray is about the equivelant of Bouillon and Komisarek in that department, it's just not their main attirbute. Streit can help us a lot in that department and hopefully with a full Habs training camp Gorges can work his way into the Habs' system... he can't be all bad if he played regularly on a better team than ours.

We'll have to see how it all works out. I'd like one of Bouillon and Dandenault to be moved at the draft. Markov is hopefully re-signed by then, and then we can look at the market and see what we can offer Souray or a different UFA.

Ninimaa was caught in the numbers game. He had to give up his spot to the returning Bouillon. Since then the Habs have gone into a swoon. Since Ninimaa has returned the Habs are winning. SO he makes one or two dumb mistakes that lead to goals. However he has a big body presence and his offensive skills are underrated. Big mistake benching him for the likes Bouillon and Dandenault.

I would rather have Ninimaa resign next year, and send Boullion anywhere for anything during the offseason. He is small and plays hard, but that just isn't good enough anymore.

When Ninimaa played at the start of the year, the Habs had a great record. When Boullion came back they started to suck, and now with Ninimaa back in the lineup, the Habs are winning again. I would like to see the record when each is in the lineup

I would rather have Ninimaa resign next year, and send Boullion anywhere for anything during the offseason. He is small and plays hard, but that just isn't good enough anymore.

When Ninimaa played at the start of the year, the Habs had a great record. When Boullion came back they started to suck, and now with Ninimaa back in the lineup, the Habs are winning again. I would like to see the record when each is in the lineup

Yeah, but remember that the Habs also have a winning record with Leighton as back up :lol:

I just mean to say it's not all about records. But you're right about Franky-Boul, he hasn't been as good this year. It's probably been the injury...

Niinimaa was well into the minus at one point while every other Habs D was at worst a -1 at the start of the year. He was awful as a sub, and when Dandenault came back, Streit stayed in the lineup and Niinimaa was benched. At the start of the year, the team chose Niinimaa over Streit, but then the Habs had 2 injuries and had to play both. Streit has been a regular ever since, though obviously they've found another way to accomodate him.

We don't have a lot of youth on the blueline. We can afford to put some in there, be it Gorges or Cote. We'll probably still be carrying 8 D next year, but we'll see.

And the Niinimaa turnover thing just doesn't go away. He's had a terrible reputation since his last year with the Oilers and all the way through his Isles stint. Ask fans of those teams. His best years are LONG gone.