Coaching Staff

What do you think of Carbo (Head), Gainey(GM), Kirk Muller (Asst.), Doug Jarvis (Asst.), and Roland Melanson (Asst.) performences on and off the ice. I know that Carbo is a First year and I didn't think he did too bad, especially at the strat of the year when he was getting Jack Adams talks. Gainy could have done better, but with the tradgic loss of his daughter I thought he started to slip. He gave away some our heart and soul (Craig Rivet) and didn't fufil the goaltender issue (he should have got CUJO :angry: ) not a very good year for Gainey's part. Jarvis and Muller and Melanson helped mostly with special teams, and they did a hell of a job mostly on powerplay, but with Souray anybody will have a great PP.

Here are my thoughts on their Coaching Status by the end of 2006-2007 season (Keep in mind that they might change if Habs go far into Playoffs... I'm am judging this as if the Habs never made the playoffs.)

Guy Carbonneau - Still with the Habs, it was only his rookie year, he will have a better year next year as head coach (I got his Autograph at a game :) )

Bob Gainey - hate to say this, but i think he should be fired unless he convinces the Montreal staff that he will have a huge signifigance in the offseason (sign some keys players)

Asst. Coaches - I think all of them wil be back! Good Job boys :clap:

What do you rate the coaching staff of the :hlogo: This year? Out of 10... or just state some reasons!

Go :hlogo: GO!!

Uggghhhh......

Carbo - Rookie coach... Probably one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game. I think the problem is that he might be TOO smart and unable to completely communicate his ideas to the players or get the players to buy into a system.

Gainey - This guy will leave MTL when he chooses to. No one, no one is going to fire this guy. Again, one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game. He is an asset that other teams envy. Period.

Muller and Jarvis - Kirk is there to direct the offensive talent on the team, I see no problems yet. Jarvis, I'm not entirely sure what niche he fills but again, a very intelligent guy.

Put together, there's an awful lot of playoff success and Stanley Cups behind our bench AND they're still relatively young so they'll probably adapt better to the new rules than someone like Pat Quinn (still unemployed).

Uggghhhh......

Carbo - Rookie coach... Probably one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game. I think the problem is that he might be TOO smart and unable to completely communicate his ideas to the players or get the players to buy into a system.

Gainey - This guy will leave MTL when he chooses to. No one, no one is going to fire this guy. Again, one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game. He is an asset that other teams envy. Period.

Muller and Jarvis - Kirk is there to direct the offensive talent on the team, I see no problems yet. Jarvis, I'm not entirely sure what niche he fills but again, a very intelligent guy.

Put together, there's an awful lot of playoff success and Stanley Cups behind our bench AND they're still relatively young so they'll probably adapt better to the new rules than someone like Pat Quinn (still unemployed).

An intelligent player but not a smart GM!

he gave away Rivet, for Gorges what a load of crap! He may as well play Samsonov and he should of fixed our goalie problem by aquiring maybe Biron or Cujo BUT LEIGHTON!!!!!!!!! What a joke!!

That was one of Gainey's best trade in my opinion. Rivet is an average player, is getting old, and was going to walk after this season given his differences of opinion with the coaching staff. He was a big part of the so-called leadership core that hasn't done jack in terms of getting teammates to give 100%. In return for this average, angry player we got an average player with room to grow and a 1st round pick. That's quite the return for a #4 D-man.

That was one of Gainey's best trade in my opinion. Rivet is an average player, is getting old, and was going to walk after this season given his differences of opinion with the coaching staff. He was a big part of the so-called leadership core that hasn't done jack in terms of getting teammates to give 100%. In return for this average, angry player we got an average player with room to grow and a 1st round pick. That's quite the return for a #4 D-man.

What the heck has Gorges done thats good this year??!!??? :?-

What the heck has Gorges done thats good this year??!!??? :?-

Gainey acquired 2 assets for an asset we were going to lose anyways.

The pick for Rivet was a steal in itself, the fact that Gorges could turn into a player at 500K a year is a bonus to me.

Gainey acquired 2 assets for an asset we were going to lose anyways.

The pick for Rivet was a steal in itself, the fact that Gorges could turn into a player at 500K a year is a bonus to me.

I understand your point of view. Get mre cap space and a 1st round pick. But we should have kept Rivet because to make it to the playoffs you need heart,determination... and DESIRE!! Rivet brought that to the table and now I don't think we have enough of it!

I understand your point of view. Get mre cap space and a 1st round pick. But we should have kept Rivet because to make it to the playoffs you need heart,determination... and DESIRE!! Rivet brought that to the table and now I don't think we have enough of it!

You also need to be on the same page as the coaching staff and have a good attitude, something Rivet hasn't had since he was benched. A team leader doesn't refuse to show up at the arena when he is scratched. He sits in the pressbox and shows his team and cheers on his teammates.

Just what has he done that isn't so smart?

Have you watched Montreal play this year? Rivet? Please that was an awseome trede. That guy was playing the worst hockey of his carrer in his contract year. He's weak on the boards, weak in front of the net, can't intercept passes, cant monitor his backdoor, he cough's the puck up on his own zone, and when he does skate it out he dumps it in before hitting centre. yeah bad trade.

Next is bullion to go if he doesnt turn it around. He has been playing a little better lately, but still has a way's to go.

You guys are reacting too much... Gainey didn't do anything to help the team this year, but he got 2 first rounders and got rid of an oldy to get a new guy... He is slowly building up a stantley cup winning team

I love them all, some may say blind faith buit all faith is.

Gainey is building a great team that will be great for years because of deep talent pools. Carbonneau will be the longest serving coach in years.

The only thing they may need is a coach who played defense at some point during his career.

Sounds like somebody here has anger issues - they really need to learn to talk nice when debating with others on this forum :wacko:

Edited by beliveau1

I'm going to write a rant about all I believe and save it on my computer so I can just cut and paste the response. I'm not attacking the thread starter here because it's all innocent but how many times do we post stuff about Kovy, Souray...Gainey? ETC?

I won't respond to this thread since I've typed what I think on these things like eleven billion times.

Besides, OSM is going to have me typing soon enough. I'm sure he will have retaliation in mind after he reads some of my recent posts :lol:

Carbonneau has done very poorly, and I have yet to see any sign of a potentially good coach in him (regardless of his lack of experience).

He seems unable to properly manage offensive-minded players, he's been very stubborn to impose a system that does not seem appropriate for the players he has in hand, almost everyone on the team is having a subpar season, he's been unable to fix obvious problems such as our 5 on 5 play, many of his players have spent the entire season taking dumb penalties, he's constantly reacting to problems instead of preventing them (ex. because he was afraid to break our winning streak, he never even tried to break up the awful Samsonov/Kovalev duo or our first line of Higgins, Koivu, and Ryder which was atrocious at even strength), he seems to have lost the respect of many players (at least many seem unhappy), he's a very poor communicator (he admitted to benching Samsonov before even sitting down with him to explain him what he was doing "wrong"), after 70 games he was still constantly shuffling his lines, he's played favorites with some prospects, the way he treated a respected veteran like Rivet (I don't care so much that he was benched, but the least he could have done is warn Rivet before he showed to the arena for the game, just a matter of respect) ...

Don't tell me about our early success; the team overall played really badly, but we managed to win a lot of games thanks to great goaltending and the special teams. In the meantime, Carbonneau failed to fix what wasn't going so well, and as soon as other coaches adapted, we starting losing. Also, at the first signs of trouble, Carbonneau had to clue what to do besides coming up with old clichés like "We have to work harder", and things just kept going downhill from there.

Fortunately, Carbonneau is a rookie, unexperienced coach, and will hopefully medidate over last season during the summer, and learn from his many mistakes. The only positive in my mind is the patience he has shown Latendresse... but if he only had done the same with Kostsitsyn, we might be in a much better position right now.

Edited by CerebusClone

he gave away Rivet, for Gorges what a load of crap! He may as well play Samsonov and he should of fixed our goalie problem by aquiring maybe Biron or Cujo BUT LEIGHTON!!!!!!!!! What a joke!!

The Habs had 3 potential UFA defenceman this summer - no way are they going to sign all 3 under a cap system. Somebody had to be moved for something in return.

The Sharks said they had targeted him all along - specifically because of the side he played. They wanted a right handed defenceman....

Rivet struggled this year and has the least upside of the 3 - yeah he had heart, but it takes a lot more than that.

Gainey then managed to get a good young prospect, as well as a 1st round pick for an ageing middle of the road talent who is a free agent at the end of the season? That is more than fair return given the piece of realty being listed on the market. At worst this is a wash, but that is unlikely. The Habs now have something like 5 picks in the top 75-80 next year. 2 first rounds makes a deal at the draft a strong possibility.

As for a goalie to finish the season - hindsight is always 20-20. Gainey may have explored the prospects of obtaining a goalie. Who knows what went on there for sure? Maybe the price was too high for the need? Maybe they were willing to gut it out with the current tandem. Given the possibility of Huet returning early (and the fact he was already said to be back by playoff time) maybe management did not want the predicament of 3 goalies in town come playoff time? You can imagine the scenario if Gainey lands a Joseph or a Belfour, and then has to say to him that he isn't going to play once the playoffs arrive..... maybe these goalies looked at this possibility and refused to go to Montreal? These were players of enough seniority that managers would respect there wishes. Both apparently were interested in moves, but also were not entirely opposed to staying put. Neither was probably enthralled about the possibility of sitting once the 'real season' began.

As for Biron, well there is no solid rumour out there that says he was even shopped to Montreal - that deal went down in a hurry. I really doubt that Buffalo had any inclination to send him to any potential opponent in the playoffs! Why would Buffalo have considered shipping him to Montreal - please tell me that?

People need to realize that these transactions are driven by several realities, one of which is definitely the laws of supply and demand. This is not simply about fans ranting about should have, would have, could have.....

The Leighton deal definitely puzzles me, but it is not a joke. That was cheap insurance for a short term situation. There was no cost and this deal is about nothing more than depth in goal. Danis was injured at the time as well, so they made a cheap just in case type of move - no cost to the system. He can possibly enter the farm system at some point, and if necessary they can then move someone out that they have no further interest in at some point? Not a solution to the situation, and it was never suggested as such, but it was a decent move nonetheless.

The Habs had 3 potential UFA defenceman this summer - no way are they going to sign all 3 under a cap system. Somebody had to be moved for something in return.

The Sharks said they had targeted him all along - specifically because of the side he played. They wanted a right handed defenceman....

Rivet struggled this year and has the least upside of the 3 - yeah he had heart, but it takes a lot more than that.

Gainey then managed to get a good young prospect, as well as a 1st round pick for an ageing middle of the road talent who is a free agent at the end of the season? That is more than fair return given the piece of realty being listed on the market. At worst this is a wash, but that is unlikely. The Habs now have something like 5 picks in the top 75-80 next year. 2 first rounds makes a deal at the draft a strong possibility.

As for a goalie to finish the season - hindsight is always 20-20. Gainey may have explored the prospects of obtaining a goalie. Who knows what went on there for sure? Maybe the price was too high for the need? Maybe they were willing to gut it out with the current tandem. Given the possibility of Huet returning early (and the fact he was already said to be back by playoff time) maybe management did not want the predicament of 3 goalies in town come playoff time? You can imagine the scenario if Gainey lands a Joseph or a Belfour, and then has to say to him that he isn't going to play once the playoffs arrive..... maybe these goalies looked at this possibility and refused to go to Montreal? These were players of enough seniority that managers would respect there wishes. Both apparently were interested in moves, but also were not entirely opposed to staying put. Neither was probably enthralled about the possibility of sitting once the 'real season' began.

As for Biron, well there is no solid rumour out there that says he was even shopped to Montreal - that deal went down in a hurry. I really doubt that Buffalo had any inclination to send him to any potential opponent in the playoffs! Why would Buffalo have considered shipping him to Montreal - please tell me that?

People need to realize that these transactions are driven by several realities, one of which is definitely the laws of supply and demand. This is not simply about fans ranting about should have, would have, could have.....

The Leighton deal definitely puzzles me, but it is not a joke. That was cheap insurance for a short term situation. There was no cost and this deal is about nothing more than depth in goal. Danis was injured at the time as well, so they made a cheap just in case type of move - no cost to the system. He can possibly enter the farm system at some point, and if necessary they can then move someone out that they have no further interest in at some point? Not a solution to the situation, and it was never suggested as such, but it was a decent move nonetheless.

I understand your point. That's why I wanted to become a member at HW so people would give me some solid info, Good job Beliveau1 :clap: .

And after talking to some friends, they think that Gainey got Leighton just for the Bulldogs. I am starting to think that wasn't a bad move after all :huh: .

Go :hlogo: GO!

I understand your point. That's why I wanted to become a member at HW so people would give me some solid info, Good job Beliveau1 :clap: .

And after talking to some friends, they think that Gainey got Leighton just for the Bulldogs. I am starting to think that wasn't a bad move after all :huh: .

Go :hlogo: GO!

thanks - that move did seem odd though, especially with the coincidental timing of the goaltending woes the Habs have experienced since then. Time will tell if the investment has any kind of return? Personally it just looks like depth for the future...

My biggest concern is with Carbo. There have been a lot of issues with players this year, and in every case, we get some quote about the inability of Carbo to communicate with the players. This is not good and it is the biggest think Carbo has to learn.

Coaching is all about communication and if he can't do that, then at best he can be an assistant coach.

I hope he is learning and comes out better next year.

IMHO...

I think the HABS staff faired incredibly well this year... remember, lots of new faces (both players and coaches) to the NHL ranks and as a whole, they can play equal to any squad on a good night. That is the key, as the staff gets to know how to push each player, it will develop into great effort at a team on the ice. That just takes time.

Carbo very silently runs the show, understands the Montreal media, and is handling it all very well... better the Paul Maurice is in TO, and this is his 2nd time around the NHL. I think Guy C makes himself very clear to the players without saying to much, especially to the media. I wouldn't want to sit in a room and watch game tape and have him be totally silent. I would instantly know everything I had done wrong. and I'd be desparate to fix it.

Bob G knows the D-game incredibly well and along side Doug J, they were every opposing #1 line's nightmare going back to the later Lafleur years. DJ was a deadly face-off guy and pretty much every offense hated how he stuck like velcro. Ask Bobby Clark. This is why he was/is the power-play designer now, 'cause he knows how to beat the defensive thinkers, 'cause he is one. So, yes I think the goal is to use defensive knowledge to beat the D. Darn smart, I say.

Kirk M. has a strong offensive mind, and understands the speed of the new NHL. As for G-tending, Roland M knows the score, and netminders that come in with an open mind of developing in a positive direction, do. Jose T. would know exactly what I mean (you don't believe it was the Colorado weather that made him leave do ya?)... So I think the staff is pretty strong.

And truly, any crap around the dressing room that is really going to affect play isn't tolerated. Unless I hear some reliable insider story of how Kovy's russian interview was not a great joke around the locker-room, I believe stuff like this generates a positive LOL behind closed doors. Only people who want to be pissed off about nothing believe he said all this stuff. If he had caused an issue, he would be in the same situation as Samy. The team's not dependant on any one player. Carbo's proved that.

With strong players and a deep talent pool, they are going to get a lot out of the team. Looking at the health issues, media zoo and line bouncing since the All-Star break, and to be edging close to a post-season spot with guys who don't even know each others 'nick-names' at this point is pretty impressive. It's all demons for the opposition. How do you play a man-to-man when the lines are never the same... The youth will bring creativity... I just hope they bring it on soon. The second half of the second Boston game may be a part of that.

Again addressing the 'Staff' issue, I'd play under this gang over any staff out there, except the (sorta' retired) my way or the highway S. Bowman... These guys are gonna' be deadly in a year or two. IMHO

GO :hlogo: GO

J

Edited by jtvoxboi

Here are my thoughts on their Coaching Status by the end of 2006-2007 season (Keep in mind that they might change if Habs go far into Playoffs... I'm am judging this as if the Habs never made the playoffs.)

Guy Carbonneau - Still with the Habs, it was only his rookie year, he will have a better year next year as head coach (I got his Autograph at a game :) )

Bob Gainey - hate to say this, but i think he should be fired unless he convinces the Montreal staff that he will have a huge signifigance in the offseason (sign some keys players)

Asst. Coaches - I think all of them wil be back! Good Job boys :clap:

What do you rate the coaching staff of the :hlogo: This year? Out of 10... or just state some reasons!

Go :hlogo: GO!!

gainey will stay... his efforts are bearing fruit and he continues to provide the team with good staff to bring along the young prospects

carboneau will stay... you don't can someone after their 1st year as a coach... likely his way of looking at things will be better implemented when the core of the team changes and becomes readier to accept his leadership

the others will stay... same reason as with carbonneau

as to people who want gainey to have 'huge significance' should be given a reality check... he knows a heck of a lot more about hockey that they do...

GO :hlogo: GO!