NHL and CBC sign 6 year deal

Mont Royale

Agreed, 7 more years of the Leafs......... :puke:

The only time we see Montreal and Ottawa is if their playing the Leafs..

At least the late game rotates between the 3 western teams.........

I was hoping to see a change too, but to be honest, I didn't really think TSN would be any different. They are mainly in love with Toronto too.

In fact, I think the CBC owning it should be more helpful. Since they are the government owned broadcaster, they should be responsible for pushing all Canadian teams and growing the love of Canadian Hockey, not just Leaf Hockey. I know it hasn't worked yet, but if TSN owned it, they would have no obligation to do anything but maximize ratings.

In addition, the CBC's complete and utter focus on the Leafs and Vancouver mean that TSN is more likely to pick up the other team's games and broadcast them. There is no point in them showing the Leaf's on Saturday.

My real hope is that RDS goes HD next year, showing all games in HD. If they do, TSN and others will be more willing to "share the feed" and put in English commentary. They are struggling right now for HD content.

I do hope that cbc will smarten up and negotiate some habs games into the schedule as well.

GO HABS GO!

In addition, the CBC's complete and utter focus on the Leafs and Vancouver mean that TSN is more likely to pick up the other team's games and broadcast them. There is no point in them showing the Leaf's on Saturday.

If you look at the schedule from seasons past and this year, the second game of the double-header is far more balanced amongst the three western teams than the early game. TSN won't be picking up any Saturday games because they all belong to CBC now. The only hope for a more balanced schedule for the first game is if the Leafs games continue to show low ratings, then maybe the brainrust will decide to take their fingers out of their asses, open their eyes and see that there's more to the Eastern Conference than the Leafs.

It probably wouldn't work, but maybe if enough people e-mailed CBC and Labatt, they'd re-think their coverage.

Agreed, 7 more years of the Leafs......... :puke:

The only time we see Montreal and Ottawa is if their playing the Leafs..

At least the late game rotates between the 3 western teams.........

Montreal-Colorado was on CBC

There had been growing speculation for several months that CTV Globemedia would make a major push to take away the NHL rights from the CBC, but in the end, the league decided to re-new its deal with the public broadcaster. "We've always been delighted with the relationship we've had with the CBC. We know that Hockey Night in Canada is an institution and since we were able to work out all the issues regarding an extension, we thought this was the right place to be for the future," Bettman told CBC Newsworld after the press conference.

yeah, and it has nothing to do with seeing what putting your product on a secondary station can do to its value (see Versus). Of course CTV is a hell of a lot more than versus, but still.

The article I read didn't give any specifics;

but from another article:

"Bettman said the new deal calls for a maximum of 23 Toronto Maple Leafs games and 17 Montreal Canadiens games during the regular season, with more dates being allocated for other Canadian teams.

"The mix is not going to be what it's been in previous years," said Bettman. "We decreased the number of the Leaf games, and increased the number of games of the other Canadian teams that can be made available."

yeah, and it has nothing to do with seeing what putting your product on a secondary station can do to its value (see Versus). Of course CTV is a hell of a lot more than versus, but still.

If CTV got HNIC I highly doubt they would have put it on CTV it would go on TSN. Like MNF going to ESPN, its just not the same.

For example if they were really serious about putting games on CTV, the Habs games on Saturday would be on tqs and not RDS

"Bettman said the new deal calls for a maximum of 23 Toronto Maple Leafs games and 17 Montreal Canadiens games during the regular season, with more dates being allocated for other Canadian teams.

"The mix is not going to be what it's been in previous years," said Bettman. "We decreased the number of the Leaf games, and increased the number of games of the other Canadian teams that can be made available."

FUGGIN' RIGHTS! :clap:

With Leaf TV and some Leaf games now available in theatres in Ontario they see more profit in moving some of their games off CBC, so it is all about where the most profit can be grabbed.

If CTV got HNIC I highly doubt they would have put it on CTV it would go on TSN. Like MNF going to ESPN, its just not the same.

For example if they were really serious about putting games on CTV, the Habs games on Saturday would be on tqs and not RDS

The deal involved was not a cable rights deal, thus it would have been contractually confined to an over-the-air network. Monday Night Football is an ABC property, not an NFL property. Not quite the same thing.

I'd be perfectly happy with a rotation among the three Eastern teams, outside of their specific regions of course.

Edited by RobRock

I'm pretty darn sure that when ABC wanted to put MNF on their cable sister station, they had to negotiate with the NFL. The NFL distribution deals expired in the offseason before MNF moved to ESPN. IIRC, everybody re-bid for the NFL packages (the NFL splits up their TV rights into a few packages - AFC, NFC, Saturday Night Game, and MNF I believe) and ESPN, not ABC per se bid for the MNF package.

well ESPN runs ABC Sports now.

But look at how CTV/TSN did the Vancouver Olympics and Curling championships and CFL Grey Cup. Its all on TSN. CTV is too concerned airing their 'precious' american tv shows to care about Canada.

Vancouver Olympics? :wacko:

That's not for another three years.

well ESPN runs ABC Sports now.

But look at how CTV/TSN did the Vancouver Olympics and Curling championships and CFL Grey Cup. Its all on TSN. CTV is too concerned airing their 'precious' american tv shows to care about Canada.

to say ESPN runs ABC Sports is a somewhat misleading statement.

ABC decided to use the ESPN branding on their network telecasts to promote the ESPN name. They will at times bring in ESPN analysts, but ABC is its own entity for purposes of distribution rights.

The hockey season is about six months long, which means 26 Saturdays, give or take. I didn't see any mention of coverage on other days. With 23 Leafs games, and 17 Habs, that can only mean that they're counting their regional coverage in the numbers. (e.g. the Leafs are televised in Ontario, the Habs in Quebec, so they're both counted in the numbers).

Therefore, it is my suspicion that for a Habs fan in Ontario like myself, I'll see no difference from the CBC Leafs-fest currently being inflicted. I hope I'm wrong - but I doubt it.

just around the corner, you going?

I haven't decided yet. On one hand I'd love to go and watch a Finland game, but on the other hand I'm 110% opposed to the Olympics being held in Vancouver due to political reasons.