Koivu as a winger?

Easy Ryder

It's not for this year because we are very shallow at center position but i come

to think that Koivu would be more valuable at the wing.

I explain myself, he's not gaining speed and he is getting caugh often in the offensive zone

and is not able to come back in time to play his position in the defensive zone.

He is very good around the opposing net and for short pass deep in the zone.

This year he didn't get good +/- numbers and it is a good indicator that something is missing

in his play.

We have him still for a long time under contract so in order for him to be a force until the end of his career in Montreal it would be nice to see him putting good numbers for the money worth.

Kirk Muller as an example played an extended career as a winger and a very valuable one for Dallas.

I like the idea, but he would make an expensive winger with all the talent on the wing that we do have. Nevertheless, if we are fortunate enough to sign a franchise center for next season then I'd be all for it.

GO HABS GO!

NO way he becomes a winger anytime soon. He is a great centre and especially in the playoffs where he has shutdown the likes of Joe Thornton twice and was excellent the first two game's against the Canes last year.

He also is the 12th best faceoff man in the league.

Edited by JMMR

The guy sets up goal after goal, thats what you want from a center. I don't see your reasoning.

I didn't say to do it NOW but in the long run he's hurting this team 5-5.

39 of his points were 5-5 and he is -20 it means if i am not mistaken that he has been on the ice for 59 goals.

59 goals of the 168 goals we allowed 5-5 this year, 35% of the goals against.

Do you think it has nothing to do with his lack of speed to come back play defense when

he is catched high in the zone or near the net where by the way he excels ?

That is why actually that Carbonneau plays a third defenseman(Streit) on the Koivu-Ryder line.

Because he knows this line needs somebody who will not forecheck like any winger but stay

down to come back and break the play in the middle zone.

Right now it is a solution that Carbo has found, he will have to do that for the remain of Koivu career or move him at the wing if we can finally develop or sign a great first line center.

The guy sets up goal after goal, thats what you want from a center. I don't see your reasoning.

yea i dont get it either saku has 48 assists right now

39 of his points were 5-5 and he is -20 it means if i am not mistaken that he has been on the ice for 59 goals.

Do you think it has nothing to do with his lack of speed to come back play defense when

That is why actually that Carbonneau plays a third defenseman(Streit) on the Koivu-Ryder line.

Because he knows this line needs somebody who will not forecheck like any winger but stay

Right now it is a solution that Carbo has found, he will have to do that for the remain of Koivu career or move him at the wing if we can finally develop or sign a great first line center.

Saku would play 3rd line center i believe before he would be ever moved to the wing. at that might happen in the coming years just to get some wear off of him

I think this is a case of reading too much into a single season, a strange season where almost everybody played poorly at even strength and played great on special teams. Going into this season, he was a plus player (+11), and is a plus player in the playoffs (+11). Come the playoffs, he may be a plus player again, and the regular season will be forgotten. Same for next season. I wouldn't even think about asking him to switch to the wing, even if the team was deeper at center.

2nd line center would be fine for him.

i agree with you there but first we'd have to get a legitimate 1st line center... who? i don't know...

GO :hlogo: GO!

No way.....to good a face off man. Also good at leading the rush out of our zone

Exactly.

Edited by (zore)

Don't get down on koivu after one season, he's an intense on the face off, we need that, there is no other centre on the team that can fill that position.

What about Plekanec? I remember him doing very well on faceoffs during the playoffs last season.

What about Plekanec? I remember him doing very well on faceoffs during the playoffs last season.

Yeah why not. And he if he can produce at about a point per game all next season that would be excellent.

Yeah why not. And he if he can produce at about a point per game all next season that would be excellent.

I like plekanec where he is. his line is doing good, I would love ot see them stick together a bit longer so they can develop a good chemistry.

don't look now but koivu, scores a big time goal tonight and has quite a nice 5 serious going thus far. he IMO has stood out and may have been reading this thread... cause he's turning it on baby and its great timing.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

don't look now but koivu, scores a big time goal tonight and has quite a nice 5 serious going thus far. he IMO has stood out and may have been reading this thread... cause he's turning it on baby and its great timing.

GO HABS GO!

One thing to notice is Koviu played only 11:06 tonight and scored a goal. I know there were only 2 power plays but I wonder if Carbonneau is sending him a message for his -4 the night before.

The fact thathe played 11:06 is because Carbo wanted to line up Bonk against Brière and he didn't want to risk the game by playing Koivu-Ryder pair because they are scary in the defensive zone, numbers dont lie..

So Carbo had better result with less playing time of Koivu-Ryder,

they had both a goal while playing less.

The message is that it is a team effort that will put them in series.

umm koivu has some speed and just cuz 35% percent of the goals he was on the ice doesnt mean anything could be a rly bad goal the goalie let it, could be an own goal could have been someone elses fault theres so many factors that your not lookign at and blaming him for those goals please......think a little more carfully.

Btw i like to add the usual habs fan finding something to complain about.