The Great Merged Toronto Thread

rafikz

:hlogo: Hey guy's all this talk is very fine but who cares solong as we make the playoff's :clap: that's all that matters if they get through it will be a few sleepless :blink: night for me in europe staying up to watch what the satellite will bring habs rule lets keep the faith :ghg:

best regards from this side of the pond.

eagle 1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm...actually, if I were a GM, I might well take Sundin and Raycroft over Koivu and Halak. Sorry.

Not right now. Koivu is scoring goals. Over the long run? That's arguable. Sundin is the nightmare but Koivu is Koivu after all. Sundin has 4 years on Koivu and time is running out due to age. On the other side of the coin Koivu's career may be shortened by his eye. That's a tough call.

Halak for Raycroft? I highly disagree. That would be as bad as what T.O did (Rask) to get him if you are talking trade. Even if it's hypothetical, Halak is currently a nightmare. Raycroft is not.

Since Halak came back in he has posted a 1.40 GAA during that stretch.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Not right now. Koivu is scoring goals. Over the long run? That's arguable. Sundin is the nightmare but Koivu is Koivu after all. Sundin has 4 years on Koivu and time is running out due to age. On the other side of the coin Koivu's career may be shortened by his eye. That's a tough call.

Halak for Raycroft? I highly disagree. That would be as bad as what T.O did (Rask) to get him if you are talking trade. Even if it's hypothetical, Halak is currently a nightmare. Raycroft is not.

Since Halak came back in he has posted a 1.40 GAA during that stretch.

Well, I didn't mean right now, this instant - obviously both Halak and Saks are red hot. And I wasn't really factoring in age either. I had in mind more the scenario of, if you had to pick a team to (say) win a playoff round, going on what we know about these players in general terms, you'd go with Sundin and Raycroft. Sundin has been a far more productive player offensively than Koivu over his career. Before last night, remember, practically every single person on this board would have agreed that we need a bona fide #1 C. Sundin is such a C. As for Halak/Raycroft, I wouldn't necessarily make that trade, but neither would the Leafs, I suspect. (Would you deal your #1 G for a rookie with 15 games NHL experience?)

In any case it's a silly question: I was responding to the charge that I'm 'asinine' for worrying about the Leafs beating us on Saturday because 'look at our captain and their captain and our goalie and their goalie.' I thought that was a stupid argument, since their C is an elite offensive player and their G has better credentials than ours.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

And for the record, I agree that the Isles are not about to roll over for the Leafs. More likely they'll be trying to extract their kidneys with the butt end of their sticks - those two teams historically HATE each other. I'd give the Isles a 50/50 chance of winning that game even with their goaltending. That's better odds than I give us on Saturday :wacko:

No worries....TO will come out and lay an egg against the Isles!........and while this is happening just down/up the road the Habs will defeat the Rangers.... :clap:

This WILL happen, thus putting the Loafs [and their fans] out of their misery for another year!

Koivu is a number one centre. The only way he is not is if you believe there are only 5-10 #1 centres in the league.

Koivu would be the best centre on half the teams in the league.

Well, I didn't mean right now, this instant - obviously both Halak and Saks are red hot. And I wasn't really factoring in age either. I had in mind more the scenario of, if you had to pick a team to (say) win a playoff round, going on what we know about these players in general terms, you'd go with Sundin and Raycroft. Sundin has been a far more productive player offensively than Koivu over his career. Before last night, remember, practically every single person on this board would have agreed that we need a bona fide #1 C. Sundin is such a C. As for Halak/Raycroft, I wouldn't necessarily make that trade, but neither would the Leafs, I suspect. (Would you deal your #1 G for a rookie with 15 games NHL experience?)

In any case it's a silly question: I was responding to the charge that I'm 'asinine' for worrying about the Leafs beating us on Saturday because 'look at our captain and their captain and our goalie and their goalie.' I thought that was a stupid argument, since their C is an elite offensive player and their G has better credentials than ours.

Don't get me wrong on the Koivu for Sundin thing. If a genie popped out of a bottle and Koivu could go poof for Sundin, well...that would be hard to pass up because Sundin's big which seems to be an issue.

We'd be DEADLY

Another way to look at the Toronto worry is that we can afford a loss to their win on Thursday. Yes, that would be devastating but we would still have a chance to win in regulation time on saturday. Exactly the same situation the Leafs are in right now if we both win tomorrow.

Tomorrow if we win and they lose... :clap::clap::clap:

If we are nervous right now I guarantee the Leafs are basketcases right now :P

Hidden stat; not that it matters but we have sealed the wins catagory over all we are competing against.

You're forgetting one thing Chicoutimi Cucumber. kenadian has a point. We've all seen it before. In spite of all they have they just might fall here. Why was Pittsburgh allowed back in to the game? The Flyers too? In the back to back against Buffalo they blew it also. They are playing with fire.

These games this time of year are too close to call. The Isles have an ice cubes chance in hell of making it but they'll try for sure. They ain't going to roll over for the Leafs. Leaf courage and guts is one thing but at the end of the day, hockey happens. In hockey nothing is guaranteed.

I have a superstition that the Habs do better against the Leafs when I listen to the RDS guys. But if the habs are winning by a safe margin, I always turn to CBC to gloat in the sorrows of Leaf-loving Cole/neale/Cherry/Maclean.

Actually, Cole/Neale are far and away THE most incompetent tandem for hockey coverage in Canada. You get nothing but Cole's overhyped hysteria and Neale's pointless statistics (fed to him by some HNIC stat guy, naturally), to say nothing of the nauseating Leafs bias that infects the whole CBC. The RDS guys may be less than perfect, but if you're a Habs fan, hey, they sure beat the Darcy Tucker Arse Kissing Festival that is HNIC.

CBC

Glorious HD :)

Biased in favour of Toronto :(

RDS

No HD :(

Biased in favour of Montreal :)

I'll flip a coin i guess :D

EDIT: Hah, Cole is awesome. "Sundin goes around the net, Sundin stick handles, Sundin sure is doing a dandy job stick handling, he passes the puck, and what a fine pass it was"

Edited by Cataclaw

RDS 'STI!

If the leafs are eliminated on thursday I will watch it on CBC so I can laugh at those suckers while they cry for 3 hours.

I second this actually. And if I'm watching it with a bunch of other people it will be the CBC for me!

Edited by les_glorieux

RDS.

The order of watchability:

Sportsnet

RDS

TSN

CBC

But.... my favourite was SRC.. during the broadcaster lockout when the only sounds was the skating and the crowd.

I remember that, it was awsome. Especially since I don't speak french. Much easier to get into the game instead of having to listen to 2 1/2 hours of nonsense.

RDS.

The order of watchability:

Sportsnet

RDS

TSN

CBC

But.... my favourite was SRC.. during the broadcaster lockout when the only sounds was the skating and the crowd.

The SRC during the broadcaster lockout was heaven..... '' less is more '' is the best formula for broadcasting

hochey as the sens of the event being live is greatly enhanced......RDS is cheer polution by comparaison.

CBC transmitted images and sounds are much more connected with the event by comparaison to RDS, I would say that the drama of it all and the sens of the action being live is at least 70% better coming throught CBC......but to be honest I would do anything to get away from Pedneault's one thousand decibel soundind voice and self-serving futile comments.

voice and

Ummm...actually, if I were a GM, I might well take Sundin and Raycroft over Koivu and Halak. Sorry.

I was actually referring only to their recent play. Koivu scoring GWG and leading the team and Halak posting #'s that Raycroft can only dream of.

As for your previous post, its not the (misguided) admiration for the Leafs that disturbs me as much as the way you dissed the Habs. I think a lot of people were fooled by the quick start into thinking the Habs would waltz into the playoffs. Yes, we have talent, but we also have a young team that needs time to grow together.

Anyway, GHG

PS Sorry for the Asinine comment...as I said it was the way you described our team that annoyed me

Edited by PMAC

Not my choice, as I'll be watching the game at a friend's house.

However, I often start on CBC and then move over to RDS when listening to the pro-Leafs commentary just isn't funny anymore.