Habs Players at the WC

ShortHanded

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Zednik and Marian Hossa are playing for Team Slovakia now that they've been eliminated from the playoffs?

I had heard that both of them were going to go, it was even mentioned in an IIHF article, but they are not listed in the official roster, so perhaps they dropped out at the last minute? This hurts the Slovaks chances at a medal though, I'm not sure if I still consider them a favourite.

Slovak roster: http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams/roster.ihwc?team=SVK

That's great for a 21 year old to go from the ECHL to getting a shutout in the WC within the span of a year.

Slovakia 3

Norway 0

Jaroslav Halak made 24 stops to get his first shutout of the tournament.

:clap:

Our future looks very bright in goal.

More news from the WC.

Aebischer was snubbed by the Swiss coach as Jonas Hiller received the start for game one.

Canada's Weber has been suspended for three games following his headshot to Seidenberg in the game against Germany.

More news from the WC.

Aebischer was snubbed by the Swiss coach as Jonas Hiller received the start for game one.

Canada's Weber has been suspended for three games following his headshot to Seidenberg in the game against Germany.

Jonas Hiller is one of the brightest goalie prospects in Switzerland. A week ago there was a rumour Hiller was about to sign with the St. Louis Blues. In november I read an article that stated it was 99% sure of Hiller playing in North America for the 2007-'08 season. Jonas Hiller has been working with François Allaire during recent summers.

Final score was 6-2 for the Finns over the Danes. After their coach commented about improving the powerplay after the game against the Ukraine, the Finns responded and potted four powerplay goals in game two.

Plekanec picked up one assist in the 6-1 trouncing given to Austria by the Czechs.

Markov also picked up an assist in his game against the Ukraine while Emelin was held pointless once again.

Its a damn good thing that Kovy isnt going to the WC. Could you imagine what he would have told Emelin about Montreal? I'm almost wondering if Gainey didn't pull strings behind the scenes so Kovy would be as far from Emelin as possible. Getting Emelin under contract is crucial for the team's future at the D. We can't risk Kovy telling Emelin bad things about Montreal.

That being said, here's hoping Markov does the exact opposite and encourages Emelin to sign with us this summer.

As for Halak... I'm trying not to hype the kid too much, but have you seen at which rapidity he developed? It's phenomenal when you consider much more hyped goalie prospects who had a much harder development (Finley, DiPietro, Krahn, Leclaire, Lehtonen, Fleury, Montoya, ..)

For some reason even though I hope Price wins many cups with the Canadiens I think Halak will be the better goalie in the recent future.

Price might become a good exemple of why its always better to draft the best player available regardless of position. We might have to trade Price if Halak keeps developing into a game-stealing #1 goalie, but Price could also develop according to promises and have enough value to fetch a star player.

Regardless, we're very well set at a crucial position for years to come.

Last I heard Kipper hadn't responded to any of the calls, so I highly doubt he'll be joining the team.

However, Lehtinen's been cleared to play, so he'll be joining the team on Sunday. :king:

Not coming anymore, they added a Goalie from the Finnish league.

My alltime favorite Finnish goalie was Jarmo Myllys, i bet Nick knows him (as he knows every goalie that is around)

Its a damn good thing that Kovy isnt going to the WC. Could you imagine what he would have told Emelin about Montreal? I'm almost wondering if Gainey didn't pull strings behind the scenes so Kovy would be as far from Emelin as possible. Getting Emelin under contract is crucial for the team's future at the D. We can't risk Kovy telling Emelin bad things about Montreal.

That being said, here's hoping Markov does the exact opposite and encourages Emelin to sign with us this summer.

As for Halak... I'm trying not to hype the kid too much, but have you seen at which rapidity he developed? It's phenomenal when you consider much more hyped goalie prospects who had a much harder development (Finley, DiPietro, Krahn, Leclaire, Lehtonen, Fleury, Montoya, ..)

I'm really high on Halak. I hope he and Huet split the season or go 60/40 (60 for Huet) next season in montreal. I think this could really work seeing as how Huet seems to get really tired with the many games over the season and can't handle the length of the grind, but is still a wonderful goalie, while Halak is too good to just be a back up.

as for the Emelin Markov Kovalev thing, it's really good for us. But I don't know if Gainey had to pull any strings, or if Kovy's bad play this year did it on his own. I hope Markov talks to Emelin too :D

For some reason even though I hope Price wins many cups with the Canadiens I think Halak will be the better goalie in the recent future.

I agree if recent future means the coming season, and possibly the one after that... We'll see how Price develops in the AHL. we're very lucky to have both of them.

Slovakia plays Canada today... should be the real first test for Halak. Its a really nice experience for Halak, having to carry his country through this World class competition.

Aeby and Halak in goal

Canada leads Slovakia 5-4. Couple of minutes to play.

Sweden leads Suisse 6-0 with a misconduct for Aeby, dunno what he did!

Any news on what he did?

Aebischer sent the puck up in the crowds when Sweden scored their fifth.

He got 10 minutes personal.

I've never seen Switzerland play so poor. In the first period they played even but everything fell apart in the second.

Aebischer sent the puck up in the crowds when Sweden scored their fifth.

He got 10 minutes personal.

I've never seen Switzerland play so poor. In the first period they played even but everything fell apart in the second.

:D Abby is tie for 9th place in the most penalised players categorie.

it's now 3-1 Canada towards the end of period #2..... Nash just scored on the powerplay.

Edited by beliveau1