Negotiations tough with Markov?

BTH

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never want to sign a player that long, a 7 year contract is just way too risky in any sport. Markov is a good defenceman but I wouldn't want to take a chance like that.

I would never want to sign a player that long, a 7 year contract is just way too risky in any sport. Markov is a good defenceman but I wouldn't want to take a chance like that.

I agree although there are excpetions Crosby would be one.

I agree although there are excpetions Crosby would be one.

Crosby will definitely get the league max (whatever it is at that time) for at least 6 years when he approaches UFA status.

Crosby will definitely get the league max (whatever it is at that time) for at least 6 years when he approaches UFA status.

Crosby should just sign 1 year contracts for the league max every year. He'd get more money if the cap continues to rise. If he locks himself in for 7 years at a fixed rate, he misses out on potential earnings. In 7 years, the max could be close to $11m/season.

I'd sign Markov for 5 years. It's his prime. Even in 7 years, if healthy, he'll still be very effective. It's the unforseen health issues that make it risky.

Crosby should just sign 1 year contracts for the league max every year. He'd get more money if the cap continues to rise. If he locks himself in for 7 years at a fixed rate, he misses out on potential earnings. In 7 years, the max could be close to $11m/season.

I'd sign Markov for 5 years. It's his prime. Even in 7 years, if healthy, he'll still be very effective. It's the unforseen health issues that make it risky.

We might start seeing this as new CBA's will dictate contracts. For instance in the NBA Lebron James and Chris Bosh both signed 3 year contracts worth large(not Max$$)instead of a 7 year max out due to a new CBA in 3 years.

Now that is smart money management as the NBA is doing well and in the next CBA they are banking on HIGHER max out contracts. Plus both will be UFA and can use this to help max out money. Oh give my head a shake for even trying to figure this out.

I would like to see Markov with a healthy long term 3-5 year contract so Montreal can get on with building the defence.

Go :hlogo: :hockey:

we may see the beginning of longer term contracts such as the NBA where they sign guys to almost lifetime contracts it limits the amount of increaces and who cares about injuries since they are paid by insurance Poor play is a different prob how do you decide who is worth long term and who is a yashin or worse daigenault

Edited by habs rule

we may see the beginning of longer term contracts such as the NBA where they sign guys to almost lifetime contracts it limits the amount of increaces and who cares about injuries since they are paid by insurance Poor play is a different prob how do you decide who is worth long term and who is a yashin or worse daigenault

totally agreed Habs Rule; I'd like Markov to a 3-5 year deal. Anything longer is too long for any of our players. A lot can happen to the way a guy plays in 3-5 years. He could get injured, come back and be much less effective, and then it's not insurance money, it's cap money and a roster spot.

Yeah there are pros and cons to every choice but I wuld bet the top priority for players is security and although one year at 8 million is a lot of money should he suffer a career ending injury it wouold be terrible to throw away the other 10's of millions he could earm

• 2 weeks later...
Markov wants to stay @ Montreal

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/228250.html

The article says they'll be asking for more than Chris Phillips got, which was $3.5 M. Well worth it if you ask me.

Also, when Markov was asked about Kovy, he said that it was a little hard for him to comment and that they should ask Kovy any questions they have. I love how this guy is so anti controversy :clap:

Edited by ShortHanded

The article says they'll be asking for more than Chris Phillips got, which was $3.5 M. Well worth it if you ask me.

Also, when Markov was asked about Kovy, he said that it was a little hard for him to comment and that they should ask Kovy any questions they have. I love how this guy is so anti controversy :clap:

News media always creat crap to sell stories. Markov at $4Mill is acceptable as he is consistant and not a problem with the team. Plus it would shut up pessimists abiout Russian players not wanting to sign in habs Land.

News media always creat crap to sell stories. Markov at $4Mill is acceptable as he is consistant and not a problem with the team. Plus it would shut up pessimists abiout Russian players not wanting to sign in habs Land.

yeah, but some players either fall right into their trap with the way they answer interview questions, or purposefully stir up junk themselves (a la Kovalev)... What I like so much about Markov, aside from his play on ice obviously, is that he won't give in to that stuff. I actually figured years ago that he'd try to get out of Mtl as fast as he could, since he seems to hate talking and stuff and the media here is SO intense, but it seems to have worked out perfectly; he just won't give them anything to work with and he actually LIKES it here :D I guess he likes the team and the fans' enthusiasm...

Actually, Kovalev is very good at handling interviews and the media. Always has the right responses. That's a major reason why I can't believe he told reporters that Carbonneau hates Russians and favours the French Canadians. EVen if it's true, Kovy's not the type to yell it to the papers.

Actually, Kovalev is very good at handling interviews and the media. Always has the right responses. That's a major reason why I can't believe he told reporters that Carbonneau hates Russians and favours the French Canadians. EVen if it's true, Kovy's not the type to yell it to the papers.

Regardless of whether he made the first set of comments, he definitely made the ones last week, and I consider them inflammatory enough... When you're paid $4.5 M a season and have a BAD year, you don't tell reporters you asked the GM to trade you if you're not used differently :angry::blink::angry::angry: I mean, how's the GM supposed to trade you when, on top of being over-rated and over-paid, the whole league gets confirmation by your comments that you have a bad attitude. I don't care whether or not he said it to Gainey, but he certainly shouldn't have said it to the reporters. Unprofessional. :wacko:

Actually, I don't see anything wrong in anything he's said recently. You could have guessed everything he said with common sense. Of course he wouldn't want to come back if he endures another season like this last one. Of course it was an awful year for him. Of course the coach hasn't been usig him properly. It's not like he was whining. Someone asked him questions and he confirmed what we already knew.

Actually, I don't see anything wrong in anything he's said recently. You could have guessed everything he said with common sense. Of course he wouldn't want to come back if he endures another season like this last one. Of course it was an awful year for him. Of course the coach hasn't been usig him properly. It's not like he was whining. Someone asked him questions and he confirmed what we already knew.

Finally somoene understands.

I really hope Kovalev shuts down the bashes next year.

What I wish is that we could get confirmation on whether or not his knee is shot. I'm still not wholly convinced that he went from being a point-per-game player for us two years ago (which nearly everybody has forgotten) to a dog, purely based on personal neorosis.

His knee was hurting him all year, that is for sure. I imagine he needed it drained on a regular basis and that is one of the reasons I am happy he is not at the WC's.

I hope he rests his knee's welll comes back next year with a chip or two on his shoulder.

His knee was hurting him all year, that is for sure. I imagine he needed it drained on a regular basis and that is one of the reasons I am happy he is not at the WC's.

I hope he rests his knee's welll comes back next year with a chip or two on his shoulder.

We can all dream....