Negotiations tough with Markov?

BTH

Can someone verify whether this is a good enough source?

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/chroniques/be...413-122451.html

"Par contre, un informateur me dit que les négociations sont amorcées avec Markov. Ça ne va pas trop bien, semble-t-il. L’agent du joueur russe semble plus ou moins intéressé à écouter. Markov aurait confié à des connaissances qu’il ne reviendra pas. Est-ce le jeu de la négociation? Comment savoir avec lui?"

The quote is in middle of the Betrand Raymond article. It basically says that his sources tell him that Gainey is having trouble negotiating with Markov and I believe it says that Markov has confided in people close to him that he will not be back in Montreal.

Hopefully this guy is just trying to stir shit up, as losing Markov would set our plans back a couple of years (unless we could sign a superstar free agent to replace him).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bertrand Raymond is the purest bullcrap "established" columnist... none of his source are true.

He is a member of the racist faction of the CH. Him and Rejean Tremblay HATE whoever is not french. They are few. but are represented eavily.

It just seems weird that he'd stir shit up in a tiny paragraph in middle of a long Phillips article. If he wanted it to get publicity, he would have atleast given it it's own article.

Goddamnit I hate this stuff.

Me too. Just once I'd like for these things to go smoothly. :glare:

He is a member of the racist faction of the CH. Him and Rejean Tremblay HATE whoever is not french. They are few. but are represented eavily.

Add Michel Bergeron to that list. He keeps spitting that 13 european players is way too much. He basically keeps saying over and over "I'm not racist and I have nothing against europeans, but Montreal should get rid of most of their European players."

I heard Markov get his Canadian nationality (in french we say nationalité canadienne...) this winter. Was this true?

I've heard that too. I think it was in an article in La Presse a couple weeks ago. If it's true, it suggests that Bertrand Raymond's claim that Makov will go play in Washington with his friend Ovechkin is bull***

Markov's camp might use the media in some ways to get a better deal for the simple reason that he actually doesn't want to go anywhere else. So he threatens he will, because than Montreal has to worry about the potential for competing offers a little more. It could be a way of avoiding the "hometown discount" but still signing a deal early.

But really, there's no way negotiations have gone sour at this point. They just got started last week (if at all). Negotiations during these months goes pretty slowly, especially since Markov is heading to the Worlds.

Bertrand Raymond is the purest bullcrap "established" columnist... none of his source are true.

Exactly, anything from these idiots is pure bullshit.

There's only one safe way to know what will happen and that's to be patient. It's only April, if by after the draft these guys didn't sign, then be worried.

Media smoothness and negotiation smoothness are 2 different things.

Yeah, that's true.

Let me re-phrase. I hope this is just something some journalist decided to put a little spin on.

If I was an UFA I'd want to get a deal done early........since there's only so much $$ to spend in a given year. I would try to get the best deal I could from the Habs, and if it's close to what I (my agent... :rolleyes: ) think's I'm worth I'd take it. If the numbers were too far apart then I'd start looking elsewhere......since every other team will be looking to get the guys they want/need signed.

Otherwise you might be on the outside looking in....or signing for a lot less that you were offered in the 1st place.....

I mean with the value of some of these contracts, (and perks......medical/dental, travel covered, meals covered etc...) $2-300,000 between what you want and the team's offering is peanuts; not to you or I but when it's a milti-million dollar contract they won't miss this "pocket-change"

This is what happens in contract negotiations.

McCabe was going because his wife did not want to stay in Toronto and the Toronto Media said he was probably going to leave. Vince Carter wanted to play in the US and he was as good as gone. Both way off base, stories to create stories.

The media are there to sell papers, saying that the Markov signing is in the bag helps the paper in what way?

You are just stressing yourself's out for no reason. Bob will take care of business, don't worry.

The popular idea in the French media is that ''tis gards d'ici' have more respect for the :hlogo: and will sweat blood for the team. This can be true in some cases (remember Stephane Quintal?) but what about the Stephane Richers and Pierre Larouches of the world, to say nothing of the Koivus and the Mullers?

BUNK! Says I.

Oh come on guys...

When i hear it from Markov or Gainey's mouth that Andrei won't be returning, i'll believe it.

Until then... *yawn*

Remember the millions of Souray rumors a few months back? Oh look, he's still in Montreal!

Oh come on guys...

When i hear it from Markov or Gainey's mouth that Andrei won't be returning, i'll believe it.

Until then... *yawn*

Remember the millions of Souray rumors a few months back? Oh look, he's still in Montreal!

Wise words!

I hear so much crap about the LEafs in Leafland here and 90% of it is not true. If I seehear for myself then it is true. Like a Bluejay game a few nights ago when Leaf players were introduced, they were BOO'd. I saw so it is true..... :lol:

The interview with the D Senator's Chris Phillip who just resigned a multi-year contract is interesting,......

two things made him stick around the Senators,....respect for the organization and the sentiment that the team is solid and always in a position to win championships.

We have some reasons to be concerned if we believe that Phillips's concerns are pretty much the

only relevant matters to side along the granted financial concerns of most UFA players.

I dont worry about the respect Markov have for the organisation, which he has a plenty,

but as a hockey player I know that he cant possibly have the easthetic and emotional satisfaction players have when they play within a solid top echelon performing team in which all their talents gets to be fully expressed,.....along with the conforting sentiment to know that the team as the spine solid enought to bail you out when you have a so-so night.

The new CH organisation has failed to orchestrated a steady improvement of the team, missing this season's playoff's qualification has demonstrated that the opportunity brought about by newNHL's challenge has not been met successfully here,........an opportunity for redemtion, an opportunity to erase the spectre of the losing environment that have been ours during the last decade has been missed.

Koivu has expressed is concerns with the direction of our team,......we took a step back and regressed

towards providing the winning environment UFA players like Marcov and others might be looking for....

in that respect there is reason to worry.

Wise words!

I hear so much crap about the LEafs in Leafland here and 90% of it is not true. If I seehear for myself then it is true. Like a Bluejay game a few nights ago when Leaf players were introduced, they were BOO'd. I saw so it is true..... :lol:

That was pretty funny

I'm very confident that Markov will resign with Montreal. I'm only 2/3's as confident about Souray remaining there.

i wonder if signing valentenko and emelin make things easier...

You mean Markov would like to stay because of follow russians coming in

or he's likely out because of the possible surplus of dmen?

You mean Markov would like to stay because of follow russians coming in

or he's likely out because of the possible surplus of dmen?

I would go with the prior rather than the latter.

The team already has a high Russian contingent, I don't know if bringing in more is neccessary to appease Markov at all. At one point, Markov was the only one on the big club (after Petrov was traded and before Kovalev came). Markov was the happiest guy in Montreal when Kovalev was acquired. Although you wonder how Markov took the Russian bashing this past year in and around Montreal (real and percieved).