Random accomplishments

les_glorieux

MONTREAL - While the Habs would have gladly swapped all of these impressive numbers in exchange for a ticket to the playoffs, here’s a look at some of the accomplishments by the 2006-07 Canadiens.

22.8 Canadiens' league-leading power-play percentage in 2006-07, marking the third time the Habs have led the NHL since the league began keeping track in 1967-68. This season was also the first time the Canadiens cracked the 20% mark since 1993-94.

9 Number of consecutive wins by the Canadiens at the Bell Centre to close out the season, marking the longest such stretch on home-ice for the Habs since winning 10 straight in 1980-81.

19 League-leading number of times the Canadiens came back to win after surrendering the first goal.

24 League-leading number of points amassed by the Canadiens when trailing after two periods. The Habs won 10 games despite being down after 40 minutes, falling only two victories shy of the NHL record set by the Dallas Stars in 2005-06.

17 Number of shorthanded goals scored by the Canadiens in 2006-07 to set a new NHL record. The Habs were 11-1-2 in games when they scored a man down this season.

245 Goals scored by the Canadiens this year, the most by the Habs since 1996-97.

2 Number of goals scored by the Habs on penalty shots in 2006-07. The goals by Guillaume Latendresse and Tomas Plekanec marked the first time in team history the Canadiens scored on a pair of penalty shots in one season.

19 League-leading number of times the Canadiens came back to win after surrendering the first goal.
How many times did they win after trailing after two periods? 10 times?

The Habs' very impressive record as a 'comeback' team could mean several things, but I suspect that it's more proof of the theory that Carbo is using the wrong system. When they trail, he's forced to open it up and send them in on a 2-man forecheck, etc.. And lo and behold, they kick ass. I take this as some proof that were we to adopt that system as our basic game plan instead of as an emergency measure to be used when we're trailing, we might actually win quite a few games and not NEED to play catch up quite as much :blink:

17 Number of shorthanded goals scored by the Canadiens in 2006-07 to set a new NHL record. The Habs were 11-1-2 in games when they scored a man down this season.

I think this breaks the old habs record. The Oilers hold the nhl record with 36 shorthanded goals in 83-84.

24 League-leading number of points amassed by the Canadiens when trailing after two periods. The Habs won 10 games despite being down after 40 minutes, falling only two victories shy of the NHL record set by the Dallas Stars in 2005-06.

I guess these stats are nice and shows some level of resilience, but the stat is somewhat misleading. The habs came back so many times largely because they gave themselves so many opportunities to do so.

I guess these stats are nice and shows some level of resilience, but the stat is somewhat misleading. The habs came back so many times largely because they gave themselves so many opportunities to do so.

Yup. First periods were not very pretty in habs land. Early penalties (Some very UNJUST) and mediocre play led to bad starts, thus making a comeback necessary.

Here's a small stat they somehow overlooked:

0 playoff games this season.

5 1/2 months before habs next game

dang tokyohabs,,you beat on that o games stat.

Edited by marky_and_komi

The '' many oppotunitys '' where the results of the CH being out-played, often dominated, while playing the defensive passive style they where asked to play by Carbo.

The opposite is truth for whenever they left aside the overly constricted defensive mould

which they were strapped in at the beginning of each of their games, the level of their game immediatly increased,.......to me, the LEAGUE-LEADING stats no.19 and the LEAGUE-LEADING no.24 ( only two wins short of being an ALL TIME record ) is nothing else than a shure indication about which style exploited best the inherent goods pertained in the team.

I still think that the style they had to played in was not only inconsistant with the inherent goods

contained in the team but that in doing so it also impaired on the full blossoming of those assets.

The straight-jacket was, I think, the dominant reason for our regression this season.

Edited by PB

The '' many oppotunitys '' where the results of the CH being out-played, often dominated, while playing the defensive passive style they where asked to play by Carbo.

The opposite is truth for whenever they left aside the overly constricted defensive mould

which they were strapped in at the beginning of each of their games, the level of their game immediatly increased,.......to me, the LEAGUE-LEADING stats no.19 and the LEAGUE-LEADING no.24 ( only two wins short of being an ALL TIME record ) is nothing else than a shure indication about which style exploited best the inherent goods pertained in the team.

I still think that the style they had to played in was not only inconsistant with the inherent goods

contained in the team but that in doing so it also impaired on the full blossoming of those assets.

The straight-jacket was, I think, the dominant reason for our regression this season.

PB very nicely said.

:clap::clap::clap:

So many of us have said the same thing about the wrong system for months now. But it will all be useless if Carbo doesn't notice it AND change it to let them play more offensively, and we'll be stuck doing the saem thing next year that we did last year :puke:

Does anyone have connections to Gainey? We need to stage an intervention (only kidding, but it would be SO awful if this happened again next year. I really wish one of the reporters or analysts or something would talk about it so it would at least get some attention and coverage.