Who stays who goes?

Timonen and Rafalski are both UFAs... seeing how Nashville has pettered out fast in the playoffs and Foppa/Kariya might not return, I'd really like Bob to make a strong pitch to sign Kimmo. Saku could try to help out, if he's so damn tired of rebuilding than he should do a little extra curricular activities and work to bring in UFAs.

I'm sure timonen and rafalski would be at souray's price !! I would love any of those two !!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well replace the dead weight with the young guns oops that's copyrighted. young players.

<_<

You obviously didn't read a single thing I said, so I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore.

Timonen and Rafalski are both UFAs... seeing how Nashville has pettered out fast in the playoffs and Foppa/Kariya might not return, I'd really like Bob to make a strong pitch to sign Kimmo. Saku could try to help out, if he's so damn tired of rebuilding than he should do a little extra curricular activities and work to bring in UFAs.

KIMMO! KIMMO! KIMMO! ^_^

Well then why don't you bring em up? Look at what all the young guns did for Pittsburgh.

How can you compare Montreal and Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh has nearly half a dozen top 5 picks on the roster. In general, top picks are further developed than other players, thus they are more likely to contribute sooner in the NHL. Obviously this isn't always the case, but Pittsburgh drafts very well and has done a great job of finding guys ready to contribute early. Montreal has been picking in the middle of the first round for the last 10 years (aside from Price, and goalies take longer to develop), so their picks have dealt with more potential than current skill level. That means they've needed to take the time to develop players in the minors.

P.S. PTG, check your stinking PMs!

Our main goals should be

1) Bringing back Markov

2) Signing Drury or someone similar

3) Bringing back Souray and

4) Sign as a good a defenceman as we can afford with our remaining capspace

That would be an awesome summer.

All signs seem to indicate that Kovalov will be back, at least for the start of the year. Samsonov will be bought out, no doubt. I think we'll see a forward brought in via trade at draft day, hopefully another centre, of the first or second line caliber. If BG manages to resign both Markov and Souray, it might not be possible to bring in a top tier defenceman, but another trade for a puck moving d-man could happen. I expect a couple of AHL guys to make strong bids to make the team. I don't expect Johnson back, and wouldn't be surprised if one of our young guys gets traded, ie, perez, or maybe even Ryder (even though I'm a fan and fellow newf). I would be shocked if we landed a Brier or Drury via free agency.

The number one guy we need to chase is Smythe. He has the heart of a lion. I know we need a number 1 centre, but I would take Smitty over any UFA in the league. He's all work ethic and all heart. He's also my favorite player in the NHL.

If they sign him, I'm buying a Habs Smitty Jersey, and wearing it to Rexal place next year to the Habs Oilers game. (At this game Smitty will score 3 goals, lose three more teeth, and block 47 shots) I've got it all planned. :clap:

I just don't see the point in playing old geezers when you've got the young'ns down on the farm.

It worked for Pittsburgh it can work for the Habs.

One problem: we don't have anyone of the same calibre as Crosby or Malkin.

The number one guy we need to chase is Smythe. He has the heart of a lion. I know we need a number 1 centre, but I would take Smitty over any UFA in the league. He's all work ethic and all heart. He's also my favorite player in the NHL.

If they sign him, I'm buying a Habs Smitty Jersey, and wearing it to Rexal place next year to the Habs Oilers game. (At this game Smitty will score 3 goals, lose three more teeth, and block 47 shots) I've got it all planned. :clap:

One problem: the Northeast division will not play any regular season games against the Northwest division in the 07-08 season. You better start praying for a Habs-Oilers SCF.

I just don't see the point in playing old geezers when you've got the young'ns down on the farm.

It worked for Pittsburgh it can work for the Habs.

Good grief. First you ignore my PMs, now you ignore my post which explains precisely why Montreal can't simply rely on young guys who aren't ready for the NHL. Read what people write before you continue to push forth the same idea.

It worked for Pitts because they put a sh*te product beyond belief for how many years, fans putting up with last place teams so they can stock their draft, threatening to move the team despite very good attendance...

Sorry, Habs can never get away with treating their fans with such contempt and utter disregard.

The NHL needs a lottery where the worst 8-10 teams have an equal shot at the first pick. Maybe then teams like Pitts will be less inclined to tank for a 5-year stretch.

Thing is, what do you do if a team that actually needs help finishes dead last and then winds up with the 8th oa pick in a draft where the drop off comes after the top 6 or 7? If a team like Florida, Nashville or New Jersey were finishing in the bottom 5 year after year, they would be in desperate trouble (since their fans wouldn't continue watching them) and this new system could ruin their franchise' future.

Why not?

they're not the sexiest pickups ever,

samsonov may be moveable but I doubt that team would love to take an aging, slowing up kovalev and his two years/9M contract unless montreal takes an equal salary/problems player...but who ?? I only see andrian aucoin in that same category.

Edited by marky_and_komi

samsonov may be moveable but I doubt that team would love to take an aging, slowing up kovalev and his two years/9M contract unless montreal takes an equal salary/problems player...but who ?? I only see andrian aucoin in that same category.

I'm sure a team with some cap space wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

Our main goals should be

1) Bringing back Markov

2) Signing Drury or someone similar

3) Bringing back Souray and

4) Sign as a good a defenceman as we can afford with our remaining capspace

That would be an awesome summer.

you could had getting rid of dandenault...we need bruisers on our 5-6 spot Dmen...bouillon will be better next year but I don't see dandy doing it. besides, his offensive upsides aren't that great...so what kind of D is he ??

he's too expensive for a 6th D.

I'm sure a team with some cap space wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

we shall wait and see.

If columbus picks up clarke we may have a chance. :lol:

:puke: to both the thought of Kovy coming to be Zherdev's 2nd "role model" and to the thought of Bobby Clarke becoming GM in C-bus.

actually, clarke did a great job with philly. his only problem is that he recognize a good goalie when there's one in his face with a huge sign saying: I'm an excelent goalie, pick ME !!!

I don't think anyone can reasonably say that Kovalev is a first line player.

What gets me is his attitude. His constant ego problems are acceptable when he can actually score, but when he stinks up the joint and puts up all of 14 goals, he can take that attitude with him out the door.

Kovalev just never has been as good of a player as he shoul be. A talent, sure, but a complete NHL first line player - not. And now in the twillight of his career he's just acting irrationally and bringing down the entire franchise.

I yearn for the day that Montreal has a true offensive star in town, not an enigmatic and narcissistic player who deludes himself into thinking he had a great year when he puts up 14 goals...then is angry that he was playing with a rookie who had all of 2 less goals then he did.

Without passing judgement on your post, smon -

1) Kovalev had 18 goals this season, not 14 (thanks to his back-to-back two-goal games)

2) First-line players do not have to be complete.. In fact, the majority of first-liners are one-way offensive players. The star players are usually less complete than the players who play on the other lines. The complete guys are the ones like Higgins and Plekanec who will play on the second or third lines, in most cases.

3) Kovalev never said he had a good year. In fact, he actually said he would not be able to take another year like this.

I agree with your choices, Partisan. Hannan and Drury are my favourites.

Without passing judgement on your post, smon -

1) Kovalev had 18 goals this season, not 14 (thanks to his back-to-back two-goal games)

2) First-line players do not have to be complete.. In fact, the majority of first-liners are one-way offensive players. The star players are usually less complete than the players who play on the other lines. The complete guys are the ones like Higgins and Plekanec who will play on the second or third lines, in most cases.

3) Kovalev never said he had a good year. In fact, he actually said he would not be able to take another year like this.

I agree with your choices, Partisan. Hannan Kimmonen and Drury are my favourites.

Fixed. ;)