Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

If the Habs offer $4-4.5 Million and other teams offer $6 million on a multi-year contract; how can he turn the other teams down? He does have to feed the family right? :blink:

Feed the family? With gold corn flakes? :D

I could find a way to live off of $4.5 million. Somehow I'd find a way.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feed the family? With gold corn flakes? :D

I could find a way to live off of $4.5 million. Somehow I'd find a way.

It's still a lot of money, but by accepting 4.5 million you're turning down a lot more money. It's easier said than done - I'm sure a huge majority of people would not be able to turn down 6 million.

It's still a lot of money, but by accepting 4.5 million you're turning down a lot more money. It's easier said than done - I'm sure a huge majority of people would not be able to turn down 6 million.

I realise it's turning down $1.5 million, but at the same time it's accepting $4.5 million to play a game. But perhaps this is my bias, as I am working 2 jobs, 70 hours a week, trying to pay off student loans. :D

I realise it's turning down $1.5 million, but at the same time it's accepting $4.5 million to play a game. But perhaps this is my bias, as I am working 2 jobs, 70 hours a week, trying to pay off student loans. :D

So if I walked up to you and said you can do exactly what your doing now but I'll pay you an extra 1/3rd of what you've been offered and you will live closer to your daughter.....where would your loyaty stand? and also I'll take that Montreal media off your back.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

So if I walked up to you and said you can do exactly what your doing now but I'll pay you an extra 1/3rd of what you've been offered and you will live closer to your daughter.....where would your loyaty stand? and also I'll take that Montreal media off your back.

Thing is I believe his wife and him are back together and I believe he has spent good time in Montreal already this summer.

That's a good point, but you're completely disregarding the fact that Montreal stood by Souray during all his injuries woes.

Are these two factors comparable? No. Family obviously comes first.

But are the two necessarily mutally exclusive? No. Souray can stay in MTL AND still be with his wife and daughter. It might require some small sacrifices on the Souray family, but it's not the black and white scenario you paint it out to be.

Also, the Montreal media has never been too harsh on Souray, or at least, no more so than any other city's media. Shelly is excellent at dealing with the press, and I would really consider it a non-factor in his decision.

But this is all just my opinion, of course. :D

That's a good point, but you're completely disregarding the fact that Montreal stood by Souray during all his injuries woes.

Are these two factors comparable? No. Family obviously comes first.

But are the two necessarily mutally exclusive? No. Souray can stay in MTL AND still be with his wife and daughter. It might require some small sacrifices on the Souray family, but it's not the black and white scenario you paint it out to be.

Also, the Montreal media has never been too harsh on Souray, or at least, no more so than any other city's media. Shelly is excellent at dealing with the press, and I would really consider it a non-factor in his decision.

But this is all just my opinion, of course. :D

You are right no doubt about it. I'm just pointing out that it's easy to forget everything and just run for the border, also Souray could forget everything Montreal did for him simply because he might be offended by the low Gainey offer compared to Markov.

One could go on for days of the different circumstances. I will stand by my original gut feeling. BTH stated it's what I want to happen, as apposed to what will happen but here it is again.

Because of the professionally handled silence. No teams are even really reporting that they are after Souray like some are that they want Drury or Gomez. I beleive Gainey will meet Souray in the middle of any reasonable offer Souray lands and he will remain a Montreal Canadien.

Briere will sign with Montreal.

Gainey will then wait and see what team sendsthemselves over the cap with a greedy signing and will go after a player in trade to help them and us out. Maby Marleau....I hope after San Jose gives Drury something stupid like 8 million

Wow, the screaming naiveté...

Souray is gone, strictly business, at least done cordially. Thanks for the memories, Sheldon. Please, everyone, a team looks after their players when injured pretty much regardless. The offer by BG is a token one.

We have a bit of room under the new cap, so we will be able to:

1) fill our holes at big C (probably more a 3rd line, unassuming, low-risk, mistake free guy) and puck moving D

2) make the playoffs, who knows, a first round win as underdog?

3) let the kids grow into their roles, further pare the roster next year of more underperformers/over-the-hill players, or lesser players

Wow, the screaming naiveté...

Souray is gone, strictly business, at least done cordially. Thanks for the memories, Sheldon. Please, everyone, a team looks after their players when injured pretty much regardless. The offer by BG is a token one.

We have a bit of room under the new cap, so we will be able to:

1) fill our holes at big C (probably more a 3rd line, unassuming, low-risk, mistake free guy) and puck moving D

2) make the playoffs, who knows, a first round win as underdog?

3) let the kids grow into their roles, further pare the roster next year of more underperformers/over-the-hill players, or lesser players

We had an advantage in re-signing Souray (more time to negotiate exclusively), but we have no forseeable advantage to attract replacement talent. Gainey will now have a delicate balancing act... if he wants both a d-man and a forward, than he will have to at least sign 1 of the UFA's in those positions and trade for the other.

We have cap room, but others have more cap room. If you have more cap room, you can outbid for services.

'Had' being the operative word. I think the deal would have been done by now if the intent had been forged in steel. I just think it is Cubs-fan delusional to think he will resign here out of...er...nostalgia??? Loyalty???????

I am not commenting at all on Souray's abilities or deficiencies, just that I think there is a less-than-zero % chance we resign him.

I agree, things will be tricky for BG. Somehow I think he has lower-profile targets he will very aggressively pursue. I'd be surprised if every team with more cap room is lying in wait to see who BG is after, only to dash his plans with higher bids.

Should have said 'trade for one of the C/D', as I agree with you, a trade to fill one of those positions is imminent

'Had' being the operative word. I think the deal would have been done by now if the intent had been forged in steel. I just think it is Cubs-fan delusional to think he will resign here out of...er...nostalgia??? Loyalty???????

I am not commenting at all on Souray's abilities or deficiencies, just that I think there is a less-than-zero % chance we resign him.

I agree, things will be tricky for BG. Somehow I think he has lower-profile targets he will very aggressively pursue. I'd be surprised if every team with more cap room is lying in wait to see who BG is after, only to dash his plans with higher bids.

Should have said 'trade for one of the C/D', as I agree with you, a trade to fill one of those positions is imminent

I still prefer a trade for a C like Marleau vs. a UFA signing of any of the high-profile C available this season.

For that matter, I wouldn't object to a short-term cheap deal for Sykora to buy us time until a really desirable C becomes available.

I'd sign the D and worry about the C after the UFA frenzy subsides, in other words.

Some rumours linking Souray to New Jersey. McGuire raised it on TSN I think...read it somewhere else too.

Well he and Brodeur are great friends and they did lose Rafalski so I am sure they are asking what Souray wants.

Well he and Brodeur are great friends and they did lose Rafalski so I am sure they are asking what Souray wants.

Hee hee, I love the idea of all the Souray haters being on the receiving end of about a dozen PP goals against the Habs next season :wacko:

Hee hee, I love the idea of all the Souray haters being on the receiving end of about a dozen PP goals against the Habs next season :wacko:

That would crush me if he stayed in the east, and it was not with the Habs.

Edited by JMMR

That would crush me if he stayed in the east, and it was not with the Habs.

Me too, but lots of people around here think he's the worst defenceman since Ken Dryden played industrial-league D in goalie skates. I wonder how long it'll take them to start fuming about Bob's failure to keep him after he's bombed the hell out of us a few times with Jersey :rolleyes:

That rumor has been persisting due to speculation if Rafalski signed elsewhere, which occurred, then Souray would be Lamoriello's target to replace him.

I don't think sheldon will get over 5.5M per.

a deal with NJ could be feasable, given that he played there and brodeur is probably his best buddy. he'd be close to new york where his wannabe actress wife could work....as a waitress :lol:

Much as I love him, more than 5 mil for Souray is getting into treacherous waters.

Souray + Hannnan would be stupendous, however.

Souray 5.125 per for 3

Hannan 4.875 per for 4.

I would be elated and get very wasted tonight.

Edited by JMMR