Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

I hope all of you remember Souray gets tax exemptions in Canada (not sure about US, someone clarify please) since he's from native American descent.

My understanding is that the main tax advantage goes to native Americans living on a reserve. One of my wife's relatives is part native American and doesn't get any special treatment, other than discounted or free higher education.

But I could be wrong.

Edited by Mont Royale

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that the main tax advantage goes to native Americans living on a reserve. One of my wife's relatives is part native American and doesn't get any special treatment, other than discounted or free higher education.

But I could be wrong.

You are correct he would have to be living ona reserve!

http://www.firstbusiness.ca/taxes/or_emp.htm

What would be good is for Mr. Souray to step up to the plate and live up to his words. I doubt he will. He should at least let the Habs know if he is interested or not and move on with his career. I don't know what is going on behind the scene, but Mr. Gainey did not look too enthused about the movement on a Souray contract. Please Sheldon, at least make a decision!!!!

My bad about the tax exemption, makes sense though since the guy who told me lived on a reserve.

At this point, I'm really hoping it's one of those scenarios where Bob and Sheldon (and his agent) are talking and are keeping all this info to themselves.

My worry is that even if he signs with us we still need one more D from the UFA market and time is pressing! COME ON SHELLY DECIDE ALREADY!

So really, not a big difference, given the amount of money he'll be earning.

You don't think so? I know this is more money than most or all of us will contemplate, but being able to put $500,000 more in your pocket (as an example: $5 million contract at 10% tax rate difference) would cause a lot of players to think twice about their loyalty.

You don't think so? I know this is more money than most or all of us will contemplate, but being able to put $500,000 more in your pocket (as an example: $5 million contract at 10% tax rate difference) would cause a lot of players to think twice about their loyalty.

true, but I imagine the calculation would change given endorsement possibilities.

true, but I imagine the calculation would change given endorsement possibilities.

You never hear about big endorsement deals in the NHL but I would imagine you would be correct players in Canada would bring in more coin on average for sure in that department.

We've heard from a lot of potential UFA's that they are now waiting for July 1 to see their value, but we haven't heard the same from Souray's camp... is it possible they're close? Or is he just laying low?

Everyone seems to be assuming he's hitting the open market, but we haven't heard anything that makes it official yet...

Nothing to make it offical I am sure he would like to see what insane numbers will be thrown his way but I believe he wants to win and I believe he will still sign with the Habs I hope I am not delusional.

We've heard from a lot of potential UFA's that they are now waiting for July 1 to see their value, but we haven't heard the same from Souray's camp... is it possible they're close? Or is he just laying low?

Everyone seems to be assuming he's hitting the open market, but we haven't heard anything that makes it official yet...

Maby he has a deal with Gainey to see what numbers are thrown at souray and then Gainey will have 24hrs to decide if he'll pay that for Souray. Seems like a fair deal between two honest men. I can't see why else the silence.

This is assuming that Souray really does want to stay in Montreal but doesn't want to give up or lose out on the big payday.

I guess there is still hope

It's the utter silence that makes me think he's gone. Brisson and Witkin have told Regeir their intentions.

Where's Souray and Theofanous? I'm starting to wonder if "Theo" has bad luck attached to it for us.

Pick up the phone Theofanous!

It's possible that Theofanous has informed BOb and he's asked Theofanous to keep quiet. BOb is going to try to buy time between the bad media roasting he'll get for losing Souray versus the good acquisitions. Maybe like he's hoping the UFA we pick up hits the news almost simultaneously with Souray leaving.

Just a theory.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

How many states have 0 income tax?

Texas

Florida

Alaska

Wyoming

South Dakota

Washington

Nevada

Have no income tax at all

On top of which

Tennesse and

New Hampsire

tax only dividends

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

So in the NHL, only Stars , Lighting and Panthers players pay no state income tax at all.

Texas

Florida

Alaska

Wyoming

South Dakota

Washington

Nevada

Have no income tax at all

On top of which

Tennesse and

New Hampsire

tax only dividends

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

So in the NHL, only Stars , Lighting and Panthers players pay no state income tax at all.

They all pay federal income tax though I believe.

Yup

And interestingly, NYC have a city income tax and couple with the state and federal taxes, it put the tax burden in that city as high as it is in Canada.

I can't get over the fact that the Souray camp never made a counter offer to Gainey...after all, the team and fans stood by him when he missed a full season due to injury and on top of that the team and fans stood by him when he was having trouble in his personal life.....so this is the thanks we get!!! to hell with you Sheldon. :angry:

I can't get over the fact that the Souray camp never made a counter offer to Gainey...after all, the team and fans stood by him when he missed a full season due to injury and on top of that the team and fans stood by him when he was having trouble in his personal life.....so this is the thanks we get!!! to hell with you Sheldon. :angry:

yeah, to me no counter offer means he really wants out and wasn't really looking to come back here. I truly believe the whole "unfinished business" thing was just lip service. I like Souray, but he's following the money for SURE.

yeah, to me no counter offer means he really wants out and wasn't really looking to come back here. I truly believe the whole "unfinished business" thing was just lip service. I like Souray, but he's following the money for SURE.

haha ..still innocent until proven so! don't get to hasty now!

If the Habs offer $4-4.5 Million and other teams offer $6 million on a multi-year contract; how can he turn the other teams down? He does have to feed the family right? :blink:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan