Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think he'll sign with us.

There aren't too many players out there with his character and integrity who say the things he said ("I want to return", "I won't ask for 6 million", "We've got unfinished business") and then go run for the money. I truly believe the guy when he says he'll make an effort to remain with this team. He's got unfinished business here and my gut feeling leads me to believe that he'll wait for the deadline merely to indulge himself. He wants to see what people will offer, but i think he'll do it just to see. MAYBE he'll get Gainey to meet him halfway with some of the expected insane offers desperate teams will throw his way, but to me, it sounds like his mind is already made.

Who knows, he may not be UFA again for the rest of his career, and knowing that he had a career year, i think he wants to have that giddiness of seeing the Chara-type contracts thrown his way. But to a testament of his nature, he'll stay in Montreal.

*knock on wood*

I honestly think he'll sign with us.

There aren't too many players out there with his character and integrity who say the things he said ("I want to return", "I won't ask for 6 million", "We've got unfinished business") and then go run for the money. I truly believe the guy when he says he'll make an effort to remain with this team. He's got unfinished business here and my gut feeling leads me to believe that he'll wait for the deadline merely to indulge himself. He wants to see what people will offer, but i think he'll do it just to see. MAYBE he'll get Gainey to meet him halfway with some of the expected insane offers desperate teams will throw his way, but to me, it sounds like his mind is already made.

Who knows, he may not be UFA again for the rest of his career, and knowing that he had a career year, i think he wants to have that giddiness of seeing the Chara-type contracts thrown his way. But to a testament of his nature, he'll stay in Montreal.

*knock on wood*

If he waits until July 1, he's gone. He might be thinking exactly the way you're thinking, but once those $6 mill offers start coming in from more pleasant markets than Montreal he's gonna find it AWFULLY tough to refuse in favour of Gainey's $4.5.. When was the last time you said no to $1.5 mil?

I agree with you mineral and if he accepts a 4.5M x 3 offer well that's awesome. No one can call him overpaid because the only comparable players on the market (Rafalski, Timmonen, Stuart, ...) will all make similar amounts if not more than that.

It is also cheap enough to allow us to add a new, cheaper defenceman like Sutton or Preissing, if we want.

If he waits until July 1, he's gone. He might be thinking exactly the way you're thinking, but once those $6 mill offers start coming in from more pleasant markets than Montreal he's gonna find it AWFULLY tough to refuse in favour of Gainey's $4.5.. When was the last time you said no to $1.5 mil?

I have to agree.

He's gone. His agent is calling the shots and sees a way bigger pay day ahead. "And L.A. Kings number 44,..."

Valentenko is in. Emelin up next. I think we are closer to getting Emelin than re-signing Sheldon. Gut feeling, backed up by nothing in particular.

Go out and get a UFA D with the cash, Bob. Buy out Sergei and we have even more to play with.

Here's an idea...there has to be more than 1.5 million habs fans world wide. If we got each of them to send $1 to Souray, maybe he'd accept the $4.5 million contract :P

Here's an idea...there has to be more than 1.5 million habs fans world wide. If we got each of them to send $1 to Souray, maybe he'd accept the $4.5 million contract :P

i know you are joking, but the idea of subsidizing a guy making 4.5 mil just made me throw up a bit.

I don't mean calling the shots, as in signing the contract, or having the ultimate say on destinations. But players have agents for a reason: they listen and, in general, are easily led by them.

This day and age, it looks like players are often much, much more comfortable with their agents than the management of their respective teams. And why not? The agents look after one guy's interest, not 25 or ownership.

I'm convinced they had a number they were expecting with the first offer, I'm sure Bob knew roughly what it would be and went lower (but not too low), and all parties know that a D with 20+goals is an absurdly marketable (?) player. He'll crack 6m for sure. To negotiate from 4.5 up to around 6 was probably going to be too much for both sides. No bad feelings, no mud slinging, just business.

Sheldon is history for us. Higgins is the next big leader on the team. I think the focus is going to be on the (reportedly) more NHL-ready Emelin and a UFA D who won't break the bank.

I just feel if we lose one of our Power Play QBs, we're gonna suffer this year. Thats unless Carbo can let the boys skate, cause our PP was the only thing that saved us most nights.

I think I'd make a terrible GM, cause I like most of the players on the team and find it hard to find fault with them at times.

Good lord I am hoping this means he is gone, that money will be put to much better use elsewhere.

Have fun watching guys walk past you in San Jose or where ever you end up Souray :D

How many years does Niinima have left? Man we sure do have alot of loose ends that need cleaning up on this team thanks to Gainey and his lame stop gap BS.

Good lord I am hoping this means he is gone, that money will be put to much better use elsewhere.

Have fun watching guys walk past you in San Jose or where ever you end up Souray :D

How many years does Niinima have left? Man we sure do have alot of loose ends that need cleaning up on this team thanks to Gainey and his lame stop gap BS.

Niinimaa is a UFA this summer.

Sounding better already.

- No Niinima

- No Souray

- No Samsonov

- No Aebischer

Now we just need to lose Kovalev and things will be bright.

Come on Kovalev still has something to offer. He will do great next season.

Come on Kovalev still has something to offer. He will do great next season.

I agree. It is contrary to reality to assume that all conditions will remain absolutely stable or non-stable . Kovy might have another terrible season. On the other hand, he may have an excellent season. Most often with vets they answer the call after a bad season. He ought to have something to prove. His ego is hurt too. That's offensive fertile ground for a player like him.

Given the fact that we are stuck with him and also considering even with him we are in great money shape, I don't see him leaving. But, on the other side of the coin, "expect the unexpected"

I agree. It is contrary to reality to assume that all conditions will remain absolutely stable or non-stable . Kovy might have another terrible season. On the other hand, he may have an excellent season. Most often with vets they answer the call after a bad season. He ought to have something to prove. His ego is hurt too. That's offensive fertile ground for a player like him.

Given the fact that we are stuck with him and also considering even with him we are in great money shape, I don't see him leaving. But, on the other side of the coin, "expect the unexpected"

Did I not read he is going to try and do better? If Gainey can be the go between of Kovalev and Carbo, maybe this can be patched up. Also, if Souray is resigned, maybe this will boost Kovalev's confidence in a righted ship instead of doom and gloom in his mind.

I have confidence this Kovalev bridge will be repaired and Souray will stay if he is not all about money.

No matter what happens though, Go Habs Go!

He has had bad seasons before, had numerous problems with the staff before and media. Nothing has changed and I don't expect an old dog to learn any new tricks. His attitude is trash and it hurts the team, right now he wants to stay because his contract is coming to an end and knows damn well if he doesnt knuckle under he wont get another anywhere.

I don't believe we are stuck with him, we could move him for another overpaid player who is less of a cancer to a team looking for someone to showup whenever you don't need him to. Yes he might play great, he might play terrible and do nothing, not worth the 4.5 million, not by a long shot.

If we can move him we would be idiots not to like last season when we were going to miss the playoffs. Lets see if Boob really knows what he is doing.

He has had bad seasons before, had numerous problems with the staff before and media. Nothing has changed and I don't expect an old dog to learn any new tricks. His attitude is trash and it hurts the team, right now he wants to stay because his contract is coming to an end and knows damn well if he doesnt knuckle under he wont get another anywhere.

I don't believe we are stuck with him, we could move him for another overpaid player who is less of a cancer to a team looking for someone to showup whenever you don't need him to. Yes he might play great, he might play terrible and do nothing, not worth the 4.5 million, not by a long shot.

If we can move him we would be idiots not to like last season when we were going to miss the playoffs. Lets see if Boob really knows what he is doing.

If you look at Kovy's recent history you see a pattern of alternating good and bad seasons. While that's not a guarantee, it should caution us against using bitterness at last year's results as a guide for future decisions.

Also I have to laugh at the 'no Niinimaa, no Souray, no Aebischer' etc., etc., post. Right...if we could just get rid of every player in our lineup we'd have a great team :lol: As I've said a billion times, addition by subtraction is almost always lousy math.

You have to expand your vision, CC. No Abby/Sammy etc., means more room/cap space to sign better players, or call-ups.

It isn't really addition by subtraction once the FA market opens.

Marble, I think the past few days have shown that at least Bob has a very coherent plan in effect. Plus, his bridge-building exercise with Kovy might have had other motives, like countering whatever Sammy might say to potential singings, or getting a positive vibe going thus paving the way for guys like Valentenko.

Not that I wouldn't move Kovy in a second. Columbus, anyone? Look great on a line with Fedorov and Yashin, a little excitement for all you...Columbussians. :lol:

Well, if you look at Kovalev's stats, it's clear his peak was in the 3 year period from 2000-2003, and those are the only 3 years he broke the 30 goal plateau and the 70 point plateau. The past season he had is somewhat similar in terms of point production to the season he had in 2003/04 when he was acquired by Gainey at the deadline.

Well, if you look at Kovalev's stats, it's clear his peak was in the 3 year period from 2000-2003, and those are the only 3 years he broke the 30 goal plateau and the 70 point plateau. The past season he had is somewhat similar in terms of point production to the season he had in 2003/04 when he was acquired by Gainey at the deadline.

I say if Kovalev plays 70+ games this year he hits 70+ points.

Also I have to laugh at the 'no Niinimaa, no Souray, no Aebischer' etc., etc., post. Right...if we could just get rid of every player in our lineup we'd have a great team :lol: As I've said a billion times, addition by subtraction is almost always lousy math.

So never trade or move anyone and we are bound to improve! :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what I meant by listing off those 5 players, I meant I wanted to ditch the entire crew and have the public play for us. I know you have said it a billion times, it feels like youve said it about 2 billion though. ^_^

Those are the problem players who in one way or another are hindering the team more than helping and that is exactly what we need to remove. You get everyone into the black and you are laughing your way to the finals.