Kovalev Apologizes to Gainey

shortcat1

Because they keep signing players who are a cancer. Until Carbo took over theose players and other lazy players got a free pass for the last 5 or 6 years. Only the past coaches suffered any consequences to these players. Now that has changed, it's Carbo's way or the highway. I for one say it's about time.

Also the system arguement doesn't hold water, most players interviewed said that Carbo lets them do basically what they want in the offensive zone but do have responsibilities in there own end. So to say the players are stagnet in the offensive zone just isn't true.

I have an idea, blame the lazy players who get paid millions who rarely show up, don't play with passion or care if they win or lose.

Carbo had no problems getting the young players to show up and play hard.

I agree with the lazy assessment and the fact that too many ppl got to much of a free pass for way too long, but I don't think it's true to say that just because they say it's all good in interviews the players don't feel somewhat held back offensively... Rivet (while i don't want him back, you can't say he didn't care if he won or lost; he played with passion every night and he showed up, he just wasn't very good/very smart) said after he left (which is when you can expect them to be MOST honest) that the style of play and the system didn't suit the players, and I agree with him. Also, Carbo was able to get a lot out of most young players, I agree, and that's promising, but he really blew it with a young guy like Perogie. Perogie's not an idiot or a cancer, like Sammy and Kovy, so instead of bashing Carbo and saying he never gave him a chance no matter how hard he worked, he just took his next contract in Russia... I think Carbo's learning, but I also think he needs to be more flexible (not necessarily with a whiner like Kovy, but just in general)...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about carbo still learning and as you stated blaming Carbo for another meltdown is just stupid. This group of players hasn't done anything worth while.

As for Rivet, he may have tried every night and a s you said he just isn't very good. I think all that needs to be said about him is he was benched once and left his team mates out to dry by leaving the building and not showing up. So that to me says maore about his charcater then anything.

I like the future, the Habs just need to get rid of some more worthless vets not pulling there weight.

I have no idea what went on with Perez, very confusing.

I don't really want to talk any more about Kovalev this summer. I've had my fill.

He's likely damaged goods and we have him for 2 more years. We just need to stop relying on him to lead our offence. It's time for others to step up, like Plekanec and Kostitsyn did down the stretch.

I think Kovalev heard his named rumoured to Chicago for Aucoin or something and decided "it can get worse afterall" so he is sucking up to stay until its his choice of what team he gets to play for next.

I don't buy anything he says after the route he took with the media this season. His comments were the equivalent of adding gas to fire when the team was struggling. Maybe some young guy should have slapped him around a bit in practise; It would humble him quickly and maybe he would realize that he is not the only player on the team.

I don't buy it but we are on the hook for one more season so lets cross our fingers and hope he doesn't make us regret not moving him. It's a shame we have to deal with this sort of drama all the damn time.

I thought we had him for two more?

:angry: I was hoping you'd tell me I was wrong... One more would have been REALLY nice.

Sorry for the bummer report. It makes sense that it's 2 to go. If Kovy had 1 yr left on the deal I could see BOb being able to send him to a scoring hungry team for a 3 million player the other team doesn't want and hopefully we would. But, with 2 years remaining, Gainey had no choice but to tell Kovy that the only way to win ANYWHERE in this league (You think Kovalev would know this by now) is to shut up and talk on the ice in stats! That advice or this talk wouldn't be so essential to have if he only had 1 year remaining on his contract.

I don't want to piss in anybody's drink but kovalev never apologized to gainey. I heard the quote many time today and he said: I talk to gainey and he apologized.

never in the interview did he acknowledge that he was part of the problem. he put the blame on a rookie coach and teammates who came to play for the pay check

DAMNIT! :angry:

A trade for Aucoin would be better, keep Samsonov and move Kovalev.

It's a bad situation. PLAY HOCKEY ALEX

PLAY F****** HOCKEY

And, this is the microscope that is the Canadiens media. He'd better prove that he's a good hockey player. All that other crap is IRRELEVANT!

That's what I would have said if I were GM. I'm sure Gainey was far more diplomatic but Kovalev has to shut his mouth and heed the words of BOb. Modano credits BOb for changing him from a "Daigle" and making him a responsible 2 way warrior that is now Modano. What makes Kovalev superior to Modano? Nothing!

I realize that I've been a Kovalev supporter up til now but the situation beckons a change. My patience only goes so far. Just have a good season for crying out loud

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I don't understand why he would talk about players playing only for the money. Him above all.

Also why would he say that he wants to play until he is 50? This year I had the true impression that during the whole season he was playing with an hidden injury. I thought it was the reason why the GM/coach/teamates weren't harsh againts him. Now, if he's so healthy that he can play 15 more years, he gotta show it on the ice.

For what it's worth (which isn't much) I agree with the 'hidden injury' diagnosis. I heard shoulder, but his KNEE was a problem in 2006 and also early last season...then you just stopped hearing about it. But all season he lacked that extra gear that he needs to make those million-dollar moves of his. It may be less that Kovy doesn't give a crap and more that he's damaged goods and handling it badly. In the end, though...who cares? You gotta produce.

And produce he will for the next two seasons.

I'm going to agree here. Kovalev has now put himself in a situation where all his demons are right in front of him. Russia doesn't want him. He's realized messing with Carbs isn't going to work. Gainey won't defend him. His team won't defend him. All of the suuden it's Alex Kovalev and a mirror.

Nice.

This next season Alex will be trying to prove something, and that is right where we want him.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Somebody has to make up for all our negativity. :lol:

We might need several JMMRs... :D

I have a fear that because his back is against the wall he will push himself really hard and in the process get injured. For such a big guy he seems pretty fragile and always seems to be injured, and if he is not injured there are rumours going around that he is. If he can indeed stay healthy next season (fingers crossed) I am optimistic that he can have a great year.