Who is your favourite GM of 2006/07?

Chips

Who is your favourite GM of 2006/07  

15 members have voted

1. 1. vote for your NHL GM and tell us why?

• Bob Gainey
    • Brian Burke
    • Garth Snow
    • John Muckler
    • David Nonis
    • John Ferguson
    • Ken Holland
    • Ray Shero
    • Kevin Lowe
    • I choose another GM

Now that the NHL season for the players is done and we are about to enter the season for the NHL GM's (draft day and the UFA market opens July 1st). Lets poll to find how they performed in your opinion. Tell us who your favourite GM for the past season 2006/07 is and Why?

I pick Gainey for best GM. For obvious reasons, he's done the best given the cards he was dealt. The team did not respond in turn. However, he has positioned us well into the immediate future and beyond.

Burke, is a close second and someone could argue me into making him my first choice, he did help the Ducks to a CUP Victory!

Edited by Chips

Garth, granted he did make some pretty splashy moves. but there is only one problem with that choice, can you be certain that those moves were all his? remember how Wang likes to manage by committee... how do we know that it was Garth making the call? for all we know it could have been decisions by committee. And Garth was the puppet!

Nevertheless, stealing Ryan was amazing. And if he retains him and does not let him hit the UFA market then I'd be willing to consider Mr Snow as a really cool customer.. and a very good candidate for GM of the year.

Homerism aside, Dave Nonis no question.

He has turned a team that was under a big black cloud back into a contender in one season. He moved out an overpaid problem in Bertuzzi. Not only was moving Bertuzzi addition by subtraction, he gets Vancouver Luongo, a franchise goalie that the city has NEVER seen. He's continued to turn around what has always been a very bare prospect cupboard here and has made quite a few solid moves. Taylor Pyatt for a 4th, picking up Jeff Cowan off waivers, signing Willie Mitchell, making Vigneault head coach. The only real bluder he made was signing Marc Chouinard but in the end it's no big deal. He brought in solid depth at the trade deadline for reasonable assets and we're in a great position heading forward. Did I mention we won our division? :o Not bad for a team that was pegged to miss the playoffs.

Nonis, yes I'll agree that I was not sure he was up to the task of bringing the Canucks back from the dead. I had my doubts about the trade and early in the season it wasn't looking very pretty but that changed in a hurry. Certainly, he played a large part in the revitalization of Vancouver into a real threat/force in the West.

p.s. Captain_Stealth nice sig! very kewl!

Edited by Chips

Garth, granted he did make some pretty splashy moves. but there is only one problem with that choice, can you be certain that those moves were all his? remember how Wang likes to manage by committee... how do we know that it was Garth making the call? for all we know it could have been decisions by committee. And Garth was the puppet!

Nevertheless, stealing Ryan was amazing. And if he retains him and does not let him hit the UFA market then I'd be willing to consider Mr Snow as a really cool customer.. and a very good candidate for GM of the year.

hence my smithers picture !!what wang wanted was somebody who would fullfill all his hockey fantasies without saying a word..

as for the smyth deal. good move from his part. however, I really doubt he will keep him. smyth will want to go to a contender...

I used to love lamoriello but I think he's overwhelmed with the salary cap.

I don't have a favourite but I think that holland is the best.

p.s. Captain_Stealth nice sig! very kewl!

Thanks. Your Chips sig is kool too. :)

is that one dude in Phili still the GM? Clarke? That guy was hysterical side show if I ever saw one. lol

Paul Holmgren is the Flyers' GM right now. Bobby Clarcke resigned as GM in october '06. Bob Clarke now is Senior Vice President.

Ferguson has a vote? who voted for him and why? was that a joke? or just an accident?

phew! that was close. for just a moment I thought that maybe I missed something this season and the leafs had actually become a better team. Jetsniper, you scared me there for just a moment

phew! that was close. for just a moment I thought that maybe I missed something this season and the leafs had actually become a better team. Jetsniper, you scared me there for just a moment

Yeah, Giggy wasn't there so instead of picking other and then doing a huge explanation, I just went with the most asinine choice there.

I'm definitely getting Giggy with it though.