Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

AND WHY THE HELL DO YOU NEED TO GIVE A NTC TO 3RD LINE PLAYER??????????????????????????

Um.. because otherwise he wouldn't sign here. Why do yuo think Briere was attracted by Philly's offer? The no-movement clause. These things are big deals to players. They don't want to have to move their families around every second year. Smoke's on a one-year contract anyway, so it's no tlike we're going to trade him.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're making judgement calls without knowing the whole truth here! Of course there were better suitable candidates other than the "Big Ham" that we ended up with...But we're all assuming we could have taken any of the best looking girls in our school to prom night!!!! No the truth is You're pretty freakin ugly! and even all the freakin money in the world wont make them go out with you!

Until we hear all the facts lets reflect more on why didn't Hannan sign with us and why didnt all the other rafalskis and schneiders..!!

WHy the hell can we not get a top 6 guys.

Because we've yet to develop a mind-control machine that will force the players to sign with us???

Just a guess, because I dont see any other explanation... :P

It's only a one year contract for 2 million!!!

He doesn't want to move at the deadline if he is bringing his family....why is this so hard to accept and why is it all anyone wants to focus on. Smokie is very versatile and can play anywhere we need him. Good PK guy and can play centre if Plex decides to hide again....great pickup for Gainey and cheaper then Bonk.

the habs have young guys who can probably be a # 3 centre. Hell they are loaded with #3 centres (Pleks, Chips, Lapierre, Begin). THere were two glaring holes Gainey needed to fill - Top 2 centre and top 3 D man. I don't think he did either.

Hell Robin Regyhr, who was MUCH more valuable for the flames signed for $4M (yes I know he is a RFA not a UFA).

the habs have young guys who can probably be a # 3 centre. Hell they are loaded with #3 centres (Pleks, Chips, Lapierre, Begin). THere were two glaring holes Gainey needed to fill - Top 2 centre and top 3 D man. I don't think he did either.

Hell Robin Regyhr, who was MUCH more valuable for the flames signed for $4M (yes I know he is a RFA not a UFA).

Regher wants to be in Calgary, so he signed to stay...Iginla as well.

We tried to sign a 1-2 centre....see Philly for the result (what can you do about it, we offered the most and still no takers)

Lapierre and Begin are no where near 3rd line centres. Smokie doesn't have to be a centre...he can play anywhere that's the beauty of it.

Well in my opinion Plekanec can be a #2 center and Hamrlik is a fine #3 D so we're good for now. The fact is that Gainey HAD to make a move because leaving our D as is wouldn't cut it. We don't know that Gainey didn't make Stuart an offer. What we know is that Hamrlik is the one that wanted to play in Canada really badly and wanted to come to Montreal. As to the price, that's market value and we are not in a position to stay conservate and pass on second pairing defenceman because they're too expensive. We have the capspace, we need the player, he is the one of the few quality guys who wants to play for us - we've gotta jump on the opportunity.

According to http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...amp;hubname=nhl

Last season the Ham played and scored and averaged the same as in his 2001-04 stint with NY Isles (when he was 28-30) and in 2002-03 he went to the ALL star game...

A declining 33 year old? maybe in speed.. but he is leveling off decently and yes we over-paid him by a mil or so but WE NEEDED 2 top 4 Dmen you think we could have traded for 2? we needed to get At least one via UFA otherwise it would have been a failure to begin with!

were still alive boys and girls! GO BOB GO!!!! :hlogo:

Im hoping Souray signs with the Rangers now (as has been rumoured). That would mean the end of Shanny in NY and give us a good chance of nabbing him.

Not really.

Shanny could re-sign in NY for $500,000 with $4M in bonuses that would not count against the cap because he is over 35 years old. His total cap hit would be $500,000.

If I'm reading the CBA correctly, Nice loop hole huh?

Not really.

Shanny could re-sign in NY for $500,000 with $4M in bonuses that would not count against the cap because he is over 35 years old. His total cap hit would be $500,000.

If I'm reading the CBA correctly, Nice loop hole huh?

bonuses don't count against the cap when your over 35? you sure about that?

If its true, thats BS.

Um.. because otherwise he wouldn't sign here. Why do yuo think Briere was attracted by Philly's offer? The no-movement clause. These things are big deals to players. They don't want to have to move their families around every second year. Smoke's on a one-year contract anyway, so it's no tlike we're going to trade him.

I think it's more because the player want to have a word to say if he's going to be traded again. You're UFA.. the whole point it to chose where you're going to play. You don't want to sign with a team and get trade the very next day to the team you didn't want to go...

bonuses don't count against the cap when your over 35? you sure about that?

If its true, thats BS.

By my interpretation it is true...but I could and hope I am wrong here.

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

ummmm, why would you want a third liner asking for a NTC. He's a 3rd liner - easily replaceable!!! If they were going to sign a smolinksi, they should have just upped their offer for Briere or Smyth.

ummmm, why would you want a third liner asking for a NTC. He's a 3rd liner - easily replaceable!!! If they were going to sign a smolinksi, they should have just upped their offer for Briere or Smyth.

lol yeah. Just add in another 7 years and 50 million and bam, you got yourself Danny Briere. Sounds pretty simple eh? Don't know how Gainey missed that one.

They already offered the most of any other team in the league and still lost out.

i can see it now.....

"why the hell did Gainey give Briere $xxM per year" "Gainey paid waaay too much" yadd yadda yadda

Sound familiar yet???

No? change Briere's name to Hamrlik and it will

We still haven't addressed our need for scoring...........I'd like to see the Habs go after the other Kozlov (Atlanta's)...that guy is all over the ice but unlike Sammy he has a little bite in his game.......he's an excellent playmaker and just might fit in w/Kovy...........he is at the very least a 2nd line player who can score..........jmo

first smolo is a third liner on his worst day and on a good day he can wrack up the points on the second line (the stuff Bonk couldnt do) and we did sign Bonk hoping he would do that. Bonk was missing the sand he'll like Arizona!

second Smolo for one year and a ntc? oh no we might be stuck with him for a full 82 games! (btw he played a full season only 2 habs played 82 games last season) Come on guys Smolo ain't even worth discussing about!

Third don't mix up the lines here A third liner isn't just your 3rd best offensive line! its your go to guys that have to play versus the Jagr's Crosby's etc so don't underestimate the 3rd line by no means plenty of third line players out there but Not many that can handle top lines!

excellent pick up depth wise imo

Edited by CoRvInA

I hope Hammer doesn't turn into Niinimaa. I was thrilled when we got Janne. I remember the time we were trying to get one of them off the Islanders. They are older now. I hope Roman fits well. He won't replace Souray but will be a better all around dman. Souray had a big presence. Not only he was the policemen, but he could back up his fists with his hockey stick.

Rarely I stand up when I watch a hockey game. But, last year, when games were tied late in the 3rd or in OT and Souray was skating toward the offensive zone, I couldn't help but rise and scream "Pass the puck to Souray! TO SOURAY" because you knew he was going to score. And he did so many times. I don't care for his defensive mistakes. He'll be missed and I wish he would have sign back.

Hamrlik is a honest defensemen and better than Sourray defensively but he wont be a treat on the PP. Man against man, maybe we're better off Sourray but it's hard to say with Hamrlik aging but also Do you think Sourray will repeat his season in an other NHL club?

As for Smolinski he's a slight upgrade over Bonk however we have pretty much statu quo to what we had last year. Could Chip or Grabovsky, Lapierre have done the job, maybe? But then what happends if Koivu or Plek gets hurt....we would of been in a bad position...Smolinski is basically a safety signature in my mind till the young guns are fully ready.

If i had 4-5 mil left like the supposition here....I would perhaps go for some RFA even if thats against the club policy to let our choices go...Why? Because we can get 23-25 age who kick ass right now...

for example for a player who earns : $3.5 to $4.7 million. : would cost the Habs a first, second and third rounder.

I would make an offer to Thomas Vanek and offer a 1st 2nd and 3rd choice to get hands on young guns such as Thomas Vanek or something similar /Dustin penner/ Marek Svatos.

Anaheim, Avs, and Buffalo all have high salaries so if they cant equal the offer, they would get bent over and we would get the player from what i understand.

Whats your take on that strategy for RFA?

The way we're drafting, I think we'd rather keep our picks.

If we have money left, I hope we keep it for next year's UFAs or keep the room for a trade instead of giving 5 years to a 2nd tier UFA. We didn't get any big UFA this year, let's not make this worse by locking ourselved with big contracts to average players.

The way we're drafting, I think we'd rather keep our picks.

If we have money left, I hope we keep it for next year's UFAs or keep the room for a trade instead of giving 5 years to a 2nd tier UFA. We didn't get any big UFA this year, let's not make this worse by locking ourselved with big contracts to average players.

Where is our cap right now?

Uh, Hamrlik got 38 points last season...compared to 37 in 01-02 and 41 in 02-03. He played over 70 games in four of the last five NHL seasons (he only had 51 after the lockout, but lots of players were injured that season). This hardly signifies a guy on a huge downward arc, either in terms of numbers or health.

The comparison with Ninimaa is fatuous. Ninimaa WAS a player on a downslide - he was in the press box in Dallas, for God's sake, while Hamrlik was a minutes-eating machine for the Flames. I fail to see the comparison.

Now, I haven't watched Hamrlik studiously. Maybe the decline is glaringly obvious and somehow it's just not showing up in the numbers. But the 'sky is falling' crowd really have to do better than just point to the guy's age (33) and infer all sorts of awful things from that. Besides, 33 is the new 30 in a great many cases in today's NHL due to superior conditioning and diet.

Again, here's the TSN scouting report:

Assets Has all the physical tools every organization looks for in a top defenseman. Possesses a terrific point shot, a nasty streak (no one's metnioned that!) and great skating ability.

Flaws Doesn't always use good judgment on the ice. Can be somewhat erratic at times in the defensive zone.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

Those who expect him to be a total rock in the defensive zone may be in for a rude shock, but all things considered this sounds like a pretty reasonable signing to me. Anyone complaining about the dollars or the length simply hasn't been paying attention. If you want a UFA that's what you get. You can't whine about Bob NOT signing guys and then complain when he DOES sign one at basically market value. Sheesh.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Uh, Hamrlik got 38 points last season...compared to 37 in 01-02 and 41 in 02-03. He played over 70 games in four of the last five NHL seasons (he only had 51 after the lockout, but lots of players were injured that season). This hardly signifies a guy on a huge downward arc, either in terms of numbers or health.

The comparison with Ninimaa is fatuous. Ninimaa WAS a player on a downslide - he was in the press box in Dallas, for God's sake, while Hamrlik was a minutes-eating machine for the Flames. I fail to see the comparison.

Now, I haven't watched Hamrlik studiously. Maybe the decline is glaringly obvious and somehow it's just not showing up in the numbers. But the 'sky is falling' crowd really have to do better than just point to the guy's age (33) and infer all sorts of awful things from that. Besides, 33 is the new 30 in a great many cases in today's NHL due to superior conditioning and diet.

Again, here's the TSN scouting report:

Assets Has all the physical tools every organization looks for in a top defenseman. Possesses a terrific point shot, a nasty streak (no one's metnioned that!) and great skating ability.

Flaws Doesn't always use good judgment on the ice. Can be somewhat erratic at times in the defensive zone.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

Those who expect him to be a total rock in the defensive zone may be in for a rude shock, but all things considered this sounds like a pretty reasonable signing to me. Anyone complaining about the dollars or the length simply hasn't been paying attention. If you want a UFA that's what you get. You can't whine about Bob NOT signing guys and then complain when he DOES sign one at basically market value. Sheesh.

Hey I said that already :D

Great. Thanks!

So we have to keep $3.5M open for Price (in case he makes the team and reaches his bonuses) we have to give Ryder a raise (@#$%^ Ryder!!!) Plex will end up with the same deal as Higgins and Komi so

$1.7 plex

$3M for Ryder???

$3.5 for Price, unless they get a good deal (yeah that's you Marleau $4.5 M) in a trade and send Price to the dogs no matter what.

We have roughly $3M left.

Gainey is done signing players then.