Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

I'd still like Danny Markov, but for something reasonable, or for God's sake, let Gorges play. He can't be worse than Dandy/Ninniima/Bouillon!

Wow typical just like everyone, couldn't wait for a signing to go down gainey finally gets someone and you people are complaining like wtf, you guys Souray would have costed more and every other Dman out there wouldnt have been as good Stuart might be a lil cheaper but isnt better.

Look at how much everyone els got Gainey had to do something and he did we got the cap space what els would we use it for? to sign Plekanec to a 2 million dollar deal cammon stop complaining its helping our team just like you want gainey to do, Find players to make us contend.

Thank you... we're very fickle fans...

Edited by ShortHanded

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still like Danny Markov, but for something reasonable, or for God's sake, let Gorges play. He can't be worse than Dandy/Ninniima/Bouillon!

One of Dandy or Bouillon will not start the year with the Habs.

I am going to try to calm everyone, my self included.

"Look, I don't think people realize how important Roman Hamrlik was to the Flames the past couple of years, as mentionned, this is a guy that averaged more minutes per game than anyone on our team (even more than my beloved Markov) against opponents best line, you guys are acting like we just signed some journeyman defensman.

We just added a horse to our blueline yet people still complain, anyone we would of signed people would of complained, some of you guys are just never happy regardless of what's done, be happy someone actually wanted to play with the Habs.

This board is quickly turning into a joke with all these knee jerk reactions...just complaining all the damn time, it's so sickening...

417-HF

Edited by JMMR

"Look, I don't think people realize how important Roman Hamrlik was to the Flames the past couple of years, as mentionned, this is a guy that averaged more minutes per game than anyone on our team (even more than my beloved Markov) against opponents best line, you guys are acting like we just signed some journeyman defensman.

We just added a horse to our blueline yet people still complain, anyone we would of signed people would of complained, some of you guys are just never happy regardless of what's done, be happy someone actually wanted to play with the Habs.

This board is quickly turning into a joke with all these knee jerk reactions...just complaining all the damn time, it's so sickening...

By the way, it's still being reported as 4/12M right now..." 417-HF

I hope you're right about Dandy/Bouillon... I'd rather give one of the kids (Gorges/O'Byrne/Cote) a chance than keep them both in the line up... And I agree we need to cool it about Hamrlik. He WILL help the team, and we got him at market value... all season, I said I'd be happy if we got someone who was better than Souray Defensively and could make an outlet pass. Have we accomplished this? Well we've definitely gotten a GOOD, SOLID D. Does anyone who watched him regularly know what his pass is like... We know he has offense, with 38 points, and with a hard shot. I think all in all, this is DEFINETELY an upgrade to our D.

By the way, it's still being reported as 4/12M right now..." 417-HF

Nah man its 22 mill :P

Yeah but if its frontloaded we can have better buyout potential for the final year or two, the guy is 33.

So what if hes 33, look at everyone these days playing till their late 30's and even in their 40's look at Chelios !

Even lidstrom hes 34 or 36 somewhere around that age.

I see it like this... Hamrlik is most easily comparible to Rafalski (IMO anyway), and we signed him to a better deal than what the RedWings gave him. So while it sucks cuz I had visions of Shanny and then some with that extra 2.5 were still getting one of the top 5-6 dmen available and we paid fairly for it. Cube or Dandy will be gone anyway and it will make up for the difference.

:hlogo:

A few things

1. Is he better than Souray? He has a hard shot, has scored 15+ goals before. Won't be as good on the point as Shelly was, but few are.

2. Does his defense make up for that?

3. Maybe 5.5 million per season isnt as bad as it may seem? Right now its 1/10th of the cap, but lets say the cap is up to 55-60 million by year 3 of the contract, does that salary still seem like way too much?

As much as i still dont like the contract, this probably had to be done.

While what Souray brings to the table is somewhat sexier...the PP bomb...Hamrlik is the kind of balanced D-man we need. I agree with those saying that this signing will look very good when we see what Souray signs for. Worst case scenario: put Kovy back there to rifle the puck on the PP.

So what if hes 33, look at everyone these days playing till their late 30's and even in their 40's look at Chelios !

Even lidstrom hes 34 or 36 somewhere around that age.

Its likely he is still a very productive D man at the age of 37, but theres also a chance that he bottoms out.

Adrion Aucoin used to be considered a solid top pairing guy, and the two examples you gave have like 8 norris trophies between them. Hammer is good, but he cant be bunched in with those two HOFers.

I honestly don't mind this move. Yeah, a little expensive, but this guy brings experience, enough offense and alot better D then Souray ever did. Again, not what I wanted but I don't find it that bad. Why don't you guys let him at least play a game before you rip him to pieces.

Some fans are acting like spoiled 2 years old.

-"Whaaa, whaaa! I want a glass of water!"

-"Here's your glass of water, stop crying"

-"Whaaa, whaaa! I dont want water in that glass!"

Stop bitching for f***'s sake. We all agreed we needed a good D who could take care of his own end and support the offense. Hamrlik fits the bill. But what's that now? Ooooh, he costs too much. Whaaaa, whaaaa...

Boo f***ing hoo.

After that people wonder why UFAs dont want to come to Montreal and blame the medias. Nevermind the medias. Fickle, irrational, whining, self-righteous fans who think they know more than the pros are just as much a turn off for players.

WELCOME TO MONTREAL, ROMAN!

Edited by KoZed

Hey everyone! I just heard Gainey signed some dude named Andrei Markov for four years at 5.75 per. Is that an awesome signing or what?

I also heard they have some guy who had 70 points last year under contract for 3 years at 4.75 per, and some dude who scored 5 goals more than Scott Gomez for 2 years at 4.5.

The upside of yesterday's lunatic signings is that any mediocre player under contract for less than 10 million next season seems like a steal. How crazy low does Markov's salary look now?

If Souray's agent can't get him more than 200 billion - 30 year contract in this climate, he's flat out incompetent. Hamrlik will be booed, certainly, but it's nothing compared to what Souray would have heard had he signed at market value and scored his 13 goals for Montreal next season.

Edited by Oleg Petrov

as long as it's not checmanek !! :unsure:

the more I think of it, the more I'm in peace with the signing...as long as it's only bob's first of many move to improve the team.

Some fans are acting like spoiled 2 years old.

-"Whaaa, whaaa! I want a glass of water!"

-"Here's your glass of water, stop crying"

-"Whaaa, whaaa! I dont want water in that glass!"

Stop bitching for f***'s sake. We all agreed we needed a good D who could take care of his own end and support the offense. Hamrlik fits the bill. But what's that now? Ooooh, he costs too much. Whaaaa, whaaaa...

Boo f***ing hoo.

After that people wonder why UFAs dont want to come to Montreal and blame the medias. Nevermind the medias. Fickle, irrational, whining, self-righteous fans who think they know more than the pros are just as much a turn off for players.

Amen brother.

For those who are pissed off, go read the first 5-6 pages of this thread and be happy someone signed to play here.

Who's next on Bob's list?

Hamrlik is talking on CKAC now

He said that he called Rucinsky to know better about the city and the organization and that he encouraged him to play here.

He said some other interesting stuff too like he wanted absolutely to play in a Canadian team!

Hamrlik is talking on CKAC now

He said that he called Rucinsky to know better about the city and the organization and that he encouraged him to play here.

He said some other interesting stuff too like he wanted absolutely to play in a Canadian team!

Whats the link to CKAC?

:hlogo:

Nevermind the medias

I'd have to say it would be interesting if the Habs organization hired a photographer to follow around all the members of the Montreal media. Taking shots of them while they're washing their car, getting their groceries, out on a picnic with their family etc. Only then might they understand how intrusive they are and perhaps, just perhaps, give them an indication of why certain players wouldn't want to come here.