has gainey finished his shopping ?

MAK

Seriously though, well...I've quite obviously long stated my mixed feelings regarding the moves made recently.

I don't think anyone here could honestly say all they hoped for was signing Roman Hamrlik (and at that term, too...but I digress) and Bryan Smolinski. Surely there were at least hopes for an actual talent at centre to complement Koivu.

So where does that leave Montreal? Well, the team will have to find offense somehow. Hamrlik and Smolinski will not alleviate the departure of the PP goals (Souray), so all we can do is hope that Higgins, Plekanec and the ilk put together an entire good season, while Kovalev shuts up and plays hard.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, well...I've quite obviously long stated my mixed feelings regarding the moves made recently.

I don't think anyone here could honestly say all they hoped for was signing Roman Hamrlik (and at that term, too...but I digress) and Bryan Smolinski. Surely there were at least hopes for an actual talent at centre to complement Koivu.

So where does that leave Montreal? Well, the team will have to find offense somehow. Hamrlik and Smolinski will not alleviate the departure of the PP goals (Souray), so all we can do is hope that Higgins, Plekanec and the ilk put together an entire good season, while Kovalev shuts up and plays hard.

My call and wishes was Smyth and Hamerlik from the start but only Hamerlik as complementary signature and not as big of a contract, I had 2 yrs in mind but hey i bet he wouldnt have came here for that kind of contract...but we'll have to work with what we got, anyway i bet that's what Islanders and Buffalo are saying hehe :P

The situation isnt what i expected and not even where close of what i had hoped but if i look at it rationaly i check out the fact that Sourray only had 13 pts on 5 on 5, i bet Hamrlik will be a big impact player for Canadiens on 5 on 5. As for the PP, we'll be much less dangerous and we'll definitely fall in ranks....but it doesnt hurt as much if were stronger on 5 on 5, take less penalities and capitalize. Our lineup is quite versatile because A) we dont have many untouchables, some people can play center or wing easily and we have a few millions to shop later on in the year.

Having Markov, Komi and Hamerlik makes me feel more comfortable as top 3 defensemen than having Sourray's

I probably underestimate the fact that Sourray had a big leadership as well as Rivet did, but dont worry i think the young dogs will begin to speak more freely now, anyway our fate like previous posters said is in their hands.

I was thinking about things myself and after reading the Gazette article on Hammer.......we did good.

Him and Markov will be great leaders for the kids coming up, they say Phaneuf was so good because of his mentor. We'll see.

On Souray......Wow not signed yet? Wonder what's happening. He's going to end up on a shitty Islander team and suck next year or god forbid the Bruins........I will go to the Bell center and throw stinking fish at him every time he comes through in a Bruins jersey.

This year was his only big year. I was checking his stats and realized how unproven he his offensively, and who knows how his operation really went. He might actually really blow this year for whoever signs him.

Way to go Bob, Thanks for being a smart hockey man slowly and wisely setting this ship straight.

San Jose and New Jersey still have a lot of cap space to use up. LA doesn't seem interested, though. I wonder if SJ would rather bring Stuart back or bring in a luxury item like Souray. I consider Souray a luxury guy rather than a top pairing D... he's a #4 with amazing PP abilities.

If he turned down $22m over 4 years from us, he's gotta have a couple of options on the table in places he likes.

Aww...not even Shanahan? :P

I'd love to see Shanny in MTL. Even one year, performance bonuses....

Forsberg, same.

Yashin, nawww.

I think your bang on I could see Chips and Laps alternating as the 4th line centre and the wing.

I'd rtaher see lapierre on the 3rd line, probaly with laathi and smolinski.

where do we put kostitsyn?? he needs to play, he deserves to play and has to be put on waivers if we want to sent him donw !!

I'd love to see pleks, higgs and kost on the same line, they be small, right, but theyd have grit in higgins, great finish with kostitsyn and a pleks with confindence could do wounders !!

kovalev and kovu have to play together even if saku whines and kicks at the beggining.

I can see Grabs getting the job....I love how the guys got hustle and never gives up on a play (well from what I saw last season)...hes also got some sweet hands..kinda reminds me of wellwood

I can see Grabs getting the job....I love how the guys got hustle and never gives up on a play (well from what I saw last season)...hes also got some sweet hands..kinda reminds me of wellwood

\

Locke reminds me more of Wellwood because both of them are not very fast but have excellent hands and play making ability. Grabovski is very fast.

Habs just signed Tom Kostopoulos (LA Kings) to a 2 yr, 1.8M contract.

Aaron Downey with a few more goals?? anyone heard of this guy?

From Kings' fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- He's a player with an amazing attitude and work ethic. He's willing to go through a wall for a team and he has a pretty decent scoring touch for a grinder. Nice signing.

- Yeah TkO (as we called him here in LA) simply didn't fit into the team's plans this year, and alot of us are sad to see him go. As was stated, he's got huge heart and a hilarious sense of humor to boot.

- He's a great lockeroom guy, great at defense and he stands up for himself and his teammates (drops the gloves) i'll miss him in LA. i wish him all the best in Montreal.

It sounds like another positive player in the lockeroom which is great news. It is these type of character players I think we missed last season, and with him and PK Subban on the horizon hopefully the room will gel a little better then last year.

According to CBC, Tommy K was LA's top RW. With a whopping 22 pts Must be a mistake.

None the less, if he's cheap and adds character. welcome to Montreal !

C Michael Cammalleri 81 34 46 80

LW Alexander Frolov 82 35 36 71

C Anze Kopitar 72 20 41 61

D Lubomir Visnovsky 69 18 40 58

LW Dustin Brown 81 17 29 46

C Derek Armstrong 67 11 33 44

D Rob Blake 72 14 20 34

D Jamie Heward 71 6 18 24

RW Tom Kostopoulos 76 7 15 22

They are really taking on the personality of the coach and GM now aren't they.

Get used to the system boys. That being said, nobody complains about the system when it returns victories. I know I did not complain in the 80's early 90's when they were always in the top 5 in goals against every year.

I am not going to look at the roster and judge it on individual talent. I am going to wait and see how they perform as a TEAM come October. Something they rarely achieved in the second half last season.

From Kings' fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- He's a player with an amazing attitude and work ethic. He's willing to go through a wall for a team and he has a pretty decent scoring touch for a grinder. Nice signing.

- Yeah TkO (as we called him here in LA) simply didn't fit into the team's plans this year, and alot of us are sad to see him go. As was stated, he's got huge heart and a hilarious sense of humor to boot.

- He's a great lockeroom guy, great at defense and he stands up for himself and his teammates (drops the gloves) i'll miss him in LA. i wish him all the best in Montreal.

Can always count on you for the positive side of things!

so he drops the gloves huh?

hope he hits...lol

Gainey is done shopping for UFA's, but he is still sniffing for a trade or two. In fact I think Smolinski and Kostopoulos were signed for that very reason.

Has anyone else heard anything about deal involving Elias and/or Gionta?

They are really taking on the personality of the coach and GM now aren't they.

Get used to the system boys. That being said, nobody complains about the system when it returns victories. I know I did not complain in the 80's early 90's when they were always in the top 5 in goals against every year.

I am not going to look at the roster and judge it on individual talent. I am going to wait and see how they perform as a TEAM come October. Something they rarely achieved in the second half last season.

Exactly right. I don't say that we should start planning the parade, but it's worth remembering that last season was a transitional season for the team in many ways. We had a new coach who was NOT gonna be fired and some verterans, rightly or wrongly, chose to resist the coach rather than adapt. Most importantly, we had a positive upsurge from the young guns, especially in the second half, who seemed completely on board the coach's project. Next season will be the first in which Higgins, Komi, and to a lesser degree Plekanec and conceivably even Lats will be asked to LEAD a team stamped in Carbo's image. You could argue that last season was the spasm of resistance from the 'old' core and a new 'core' and team identity is in the process of forming.

Any team that can really bond and become more than the sum of its parts is a damned strong team. There's way too much pessimism around here, and among Montreal fans generally. I think a lot of it is simmering resentment from the debacle of last season, but a 'wait and see' approach is much more sensible at this point.

Exactly right. I don't say that we should start planning the parade, but it's worth remembering that last season was a transitional season for the team in many ways. We had a new coach who was NOT gonna be fired and some verterans, rightly or wrongly, chose to resist the coach rather than adapt. Most importantly, we had a positive upsurge from the young guns, especially in the second half, who seemed completely on board the coach's project. Next season will be the first in which Higgins, Komi, and to a lesser degree Plekanec and conceivably even Lats will be asked to LEAD a team stamped in Carbo's image. You could argue that last season was the spasm of resistance from the 'old' core and a new 'core' and team identity is in the process of forming.

Any team that can really bond and become more than the sum of its parts is a damned strong team. There's way too much pessimism around here, and among Montreal fans generally. I think a lot of it is simmering resentment from the debacle of last season, but a 'wait and see' approach is much more sensible at this point.

Yeah, I was frustrated at times last year. I would look at the bench and see Carbo, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey as the GM and wonder WTF was going on. They were brutal in their own end. But it seems to me that Gainey has purged the players who do not want to buy into the system and replaced them with guys who have made a career of merging into systems throughout the league. Plenty of teams, especially the Leafs had plenty of success against Montreal by pounding the puck deep and forechecking hard causing turnovers in the habs zone. Markov and Streit were the only 2 who could make an outlet pass and Streit was playing forward half the time, Hamrlik should help to solve that problem. Replace Samsonov with Smolinski last year and the Habs probably sneak in to the playoffs. Plus all the kids are being taught the system in Hamilton so everybody who is brought in will adapt very quickly to what Carbo wants.

We all want it so bad that we lack patience. There is a blueprint, and the blueprint calls for a solid foundation. That has been achieved with the Bulldogs Calder Cup Win. Next step is to become a mid level playoff team, then onward to perennial contender. With the youth in the system I think that is definitely viable in the next 2-3 years.

It took me 4 days of digesting what has transpired and this thought has dawned on me.

I'm really impressed with Gainey. Some of us might be frustrated by the lack of UFA bonuses versus other teams. But, never in my wildest dreams...never...5 years ago? It doesn't matter. If 5 years ago someone said that Smyth and Briere as free agents (especially Smitty) would consider Montreal and I knew what their worth would be at that time; I'd roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

"Yeah right", I'd say!

Never in my wildest dreams. Gainey deserves credit. There is no way these players would consider us if it was not for Gainey.

I'm impressed

Never in my wildest dreams

BOb :hlogo:

It took me 4 days of digesting what has transpired and this thought has dawned on me.

I'm really impressed with Gainey. Some of us might be frustrated by the lack of UFA bonuses versus other teams. But, never in my wildest dreams...never...5 years ago? It doesn't matter. If 5 years ago someone said that Smyth and Briere as free agents (especially Smitty) would consider Montreal and I knew what their worth would be at that time; I'd roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

"Yeah right", I'd say!

Never in my wildest dreams. Gainey deserves credit. There is no way these players would consider us if it was not for Gainey.

I'm impressed

Did you listen to this?

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-file...icher%20Int.mp3

Listening to that, it is probably safe to say that no Free Agents of value will ever make their way here if they are only interested in their big payday. The Habs have to way overpay just to equal what a US market can offer.

It will take somebody who wants to play for his boyhood team and Mans up and shows some balls and does not worry about the media and fans. Briere is a little pussy. Worrying about his family. Please. Why not show some confidence and assume you will come in and lead the team to their next Stanley Cup and own the city for the rest of your life like Patrick Roy, Kirk Muller, Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson etc etc.

If he is concerned about the media, I don't want him. You think guys like Derek Jeter worry about the NY media? Nope, he is a god in that city. You prepare for faliure, you are going to fail.

Briere is a little pussy.

I believe (another poster suggested this, forget who) that Briere was only using Montreal to drive up the prices. Media reports of him were leaning towards Montreal. Delightfully going to Montreal apparently. These wre media links and, it's one thing to see rumours but when blogs pick it up, and all of them to boot, and then he signs with Philly? :blink:

I couldn't open the link. Doesn't work.

In my last post, it wasn't so much Briere as it was Smitty. I was floored to hear that his camp and he were very excited. Some speculation put us at his number 2 choice with Sakic sealing the deal with Smitty. He might have lost again (Shanny) but good work BOb nonehteless. It's one thing to be close. It's another when it happens twice. Now we have Shanny and Smitty evidence. Both were willing.

Nevermind Briere

"Yeah right", I'd say!

I'm impressed

You always manage to find the bright side of things, AC. And I commend you for it.

"Yeah right", I'd say!

I'm impressed

You always manage to find the bright side of things, AC. And I commend you for it.

"Yeah right", I'd say!

I'm impressed

The only issue I have with that mentality is that we offered more then any other team in the NHL.

Did that have something to do with the consideration they had for us?

It looks like it did to me considering both to less money to not play here.

As for Briere....he can go down in a fiery plane crash for all I care. Jean Beliveau spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Briere trying to convince him to accept the offer on the table (the most of any don't forget) and he was still scared enough to say No, Thanks!

I see alot of boo's in his future in Montreal

Edited by Habitforming