has gainey finished his shopping ?

MAK

Wow...JEAN BELIVEAU spoke to him for an hour and he STILL didn't come to Montreal??? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Un-friggin-believable.

I said the day it happened that Briere had made a completely soulless decision. And that just proves the argument. BRIERE IS UNWORTHY TO TOUCH THE :hlogo: LET ALONE WEAR THE UNIFORM. Piss on him.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...JEAN BELIVEAU spoke to him for an hour and he STILL didn't come to Montreal??? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Un-friggin-believable.

I said the day it happened that Briere had made a completely soulless decision. And that just proves the argument. BRIERE IS UNWORTHY TO TOUCH THE :hlogo: LET ALONE WEAR THE UNIFORM. Piss on him.

Sick huh?

Go to www.tsn.ca/nhl

then scroll down to the TSN Broadband section and click on any one of them. Once it opens, look to the righ side and select (scroll down a little in the list) "Gainey signs duo". Watch the whole thing.

Edited by Habitforming

The only issue I have with that mentality is that we offered more then any other team in the NHL.

Did that have something to do with the consideration they had for us?

It looks like it did to me considering both to less money to not play here.

As for Briere....he can go down in a fiery plane crash for all I care. Jean Beliveau spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Briere trying to convince him to accept the offer on the table (the most of any don't forget) and he was still scared enough to say No, Thanks!

I see alot of boo's in his future in Montreal

Listen to

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/07/audio...n_gaineys_doll/

Montreal offered more, but because of taxes and tax breaks the Philly and Colorado deals are more lucrative for Smyth and Briere. Montreal would have had to offer 8.5M per year for Smyth for it to be more money.

Which is why I said don't count on any FAs coming here anytime soon unless they really want to be here or they get severely overpaid

Edited by Wamsley01

Listen to

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/07/audio...n_gaineys_doll/

Montreal offered more, but because of taxes and tax breaks the Philly and Colorado deals are more lucrative for Smyth and Briere. Montreal would have had to offer 8.5M per year for Smyth for it to be more money.

Which is why I said don't count on any FAs coming here anytime soon unless they really want to be here or they get severely overpaid

We all know the whole tax bracket thing and it is a deterent, but that isn't the only thing. Like Briere or Smyth would have to ever worry about money no matter what the offer was.

Teams don't make offers with that in mind, all the states that don't have taxes in their state don't say" we offered Smyth $5M because he will actually take hom $4.3 and he will only take home $3.9 in Montreal" the fact still remains that we offered more then anyone else and taxes wasn't the reason for not coming here. That's a bigger cop out then Marleu being blamed for Sj's playoff failures..

If we really want to get a UFA, we might have to pull the Philly/St Louis thing and do the pre-emptive strike trade. That might impress players enough to disregard tax discrepencies.

But Gainey doesn't want to trade 1st round picks, either.

We won't land Lecavalier as a pure UFA like some fans like to dream. If we wanted to get him, or someone of that caliber, we'd have to do some sort of trade.

Maybe the Habs need to have a staff of "creative" accountants; who could find loopholes.............and write-offs

And seroiusly when your talking about that much $$ the tax thing is an excuse (IMO)..............if they want to play here they will. Money is imoprtant, but so is the quality of life in the city...housing schools etc (strip clubs :rolleyes: )

Winning will change everything. Big guns don't want to go to teams that lose alot. Bring victories and playoff berths, they will come.

Daniel Briere, Kimmo Timmonen, Scott Hartnell and Martin Biron just signed with the worst team in the NHL this summer. Buffalo and Nashville, both teams with well over 100 points, lost Briere, Drury, Zubrus, Timmonen, Hartnell, and Kariya this off-season. Of course Nashville has the ownership problems, but hey... Kariya chose St Louis over Pittsburgh.

Edited by saskhab

Right, it was more a general point, obviously there are only so many playoff team roster spots. Once the Habs start wining regularly, more players will come. Not all but some.

We all know the whole tax bracket thing and it is a deterent, but that isn't the only thing. Like Briere or Smyth would have to ever worry about money no matter what the offer was.

Teams don't make offers with that in mind, all the states that don't have taxes in their state don't say" we offered Smyth $5M because he will actually take hom $4.3 and he will only take home $3.9 in Montreal" the fact still remains that we offered more then anyone else and taxes wasn't the reason for not coming here. That's a bigger cop out then Marleu being blamed for Sj's playoff failures..

The point is the Habs didn't really represent the best financial offer to both players even though that is what the media portrays. If you view the surface you might misconstrue that they don't like the city, the team etc and get bent out of shape. When in fact they would recieve much less. In Smyth's case close to 5M over the length of the contract. People like you can say they have enough money but $5M is a full payment of a mansion for each player.

And if teams don't make offers with that in mind, THEY SHOULD! I know the Raptors and Jays know every tax loophole in the book to represent to the agents so that they know what they are dealing with.

Players DO care about money, and more often than not take the biggest offer. Am I blaming that for not pulling in those 2 players, nope. But the fact remains Montreal offered the most amount of money, but not the most amount that each player would receive.

It is and will remain a problem attracting Free Agents until they create a consistent winning atmosphere. That is when players MAY take less to go to a team that wants them.

Edited by Wamsley01

Daniel Briere, Kimmo Timmonen, Scott Hartnell and Martin Biron just signed with the worst team in the NHL this summer. Buffalo and Nashville, both teams with well over 100 points, lost Briere, Drury, Zubrus, Timmonen, Hartnell, and Kariya this off-season. Of course Nashville has the ownership problems, but hey... Kariya chose St Louis over Pittsburgh.

Which proves the point that players chase the money. Why would you leave Buffalo to go to Philly if you want to win?

You are talking $1M per season, so 8M over the length of the deal. After taxes even less.

Show me the money!

Also I am hearing that the Oilers are considering an offer sheet for Zach Parise...Hard to imagine the Devils wouldn't match this...Look for the Oilers to continue to explore the trade route...

Eklund....(says enought)

But serious, there are so many nice RFA's, BG should take a look in that pool, and try something. I wouldnt be sad to let Ryder go, and give some extra bucks to land a player like Parise!!(Devils probably match, but they already have about 4 centres under contract. or did Parise play on the wing instead of his normal centre place?)

Also I am hearing that the Oilers are considering an offer sheet for Zach Parise...Hard to imagine the Devils wouldn't match this...Look for the Oilers to continue to explore the trade route...

Eklund....(says enought)

But serious, there are so many nice RFA's, BG should take a look in that pool, and try something. I wouldnt be sad to let Ryder go, and give some extra bucks to land a player like Parise!!(Devils probably match, but they already have about 4 centres under contract. or did Parise play on the wing instead of his normal centre place?)

I'm pretty sure Parise would be one of their players they'd do anything to keep...he is like Higgins to us, for them...if you know what i mean

Parise played left wing with Zajac at centre and Langenbrunner on right wing. When the Devils lost Gomez, I thought they might target a winger instead of a C and put Parise or Elias back at C (both have played C before). I guess Zubrus is also a C/W, so they have some options to work with trying to find the right combos.

NJ will match anything offered. Ditto Buffalo and Vanek. If a team wanted to, though, this might be the time to offer Lundqvist a ridiculous RFA offer sheet to see if the Rags can find the room for it. We aren't looking for a goalie, so we're out on that one.

You need a good mix to try for a RFA sheet: a good player that you can use on a team tight to the cap. That's why Philly targeted Kesler... Vancouver was having cap issues and they thought they might not match at $1.9m for their 3rd line C.

Winning will change everything. Big guns don't want to go to teams that lose alot. Bring victories and playoff berths, they will come.

Right, but you see the problem is that it's much easier to win when you can attract UFA to the team. ;)

Right, but you see the problem is that it's much easier to win when you can attract UFA to the team. ;)

Look at Philly though. They had such a crap season. With a few serious moves at the trade deadline last year with Forsberg then the brilliant trade for hartnell and Kim showed a fire and desire to win. Why can't we do that now?

Then Brierre signs, then the Edmonton trade. and now maby Selami. What the F^%K? They were in last friggin place practically and now they are favored to win the CUP. They already have Gagne and a bunch of great kids which I'll bet my life will bring Forsberg back and he'll play for free.

That's exciting stuff.....Koivu must be so bummed....I am and if I was on the team I would be even more bummed. Us and the Flyers and the friggin Rangers will all be in the same cap bracket, So what's the dif?

Everyone on these forms talks about our untouchables. Screw it trade for something now, let's make the play-offs and win some games damn-it.!!!!!

The Horse's Mouth

sure philly revamped their team! they sucked last year. We did not suck last year.

Forseberg ain't coming back for free (or probably at all).

Perhaps we did not do enough this offseason, but we certainly did not have to do nearly as much as Philly.

We DO have a good core of players. Between Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Halak we have a strong, young core that will only get better. I believe that Markov can be even better yet.

Hamrlik gives us a strong D that can stabalize the defensive zone and outline to our forwards and give them the opportunity to be creative in the offensive zone. Between Hamrlik, Markov, and a steadily improving Streit, players like Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Koivu, and Kovalev will have more opportunities to break out and outnumber opponents' D.

A full season of a Huet/Halak tandem will give us a stronger 1-2 punch than last year's Huet/Abby and Halak/Abby tandems.

We have a bunch of hamilton guys who have the potential to slot in at all the spots in our lineup in case of injury or subpar performance. We have grinders in Milroy and Chipchura. We have offense in S. Kotitsyn and Grabovski. We have goaltending in Price and Danis. We have D in O'Byrne and Valentenko.

Why didn't we do as much as philly? because we don't have to.

sure philly revamped their team! they sucked last year. We did not suck last year.

Perhaps we did not do enough this offseason, but we certainly did not have to do nearly as much as Philly.

We DO have a good core of players. Between Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Halak we have a strong, young core that will only get better. I believe that Markov can be even better yet.

Hamrlik gives us a strong D that can stabalize the defensive zone and outline to our forwards and give them the opportunity to be creative in the offensive zone. Between Hamrlik, Markov, and a steadily improving Streit, players like Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Koivu, and Kovalev will have more opportunities to break out and outnumber opponents' D.

A full season of a Huet/Halak tandem will give us a stronger 1-2 punch than last year's Huet/Abby and Halak/Abby tandems.

We have a bunch of hamilton guys who have the potential to slot in at all the spots in our lineup in case of injury or subpar performance. We have grinders in Milroy and Chipchura. We have offense in S. Kotitsyn and Grabovski. We have goaltending in Price and Danis. We have D in O'Byrne and Valentenko.

Why didn't we do as much as philly? because we don't have to.

Believe me I'm hopeful too but in reality, The Flyers went from almost last place to probably and most likely a 100 point plus season....They WILL compete with ottawa. We went from 14th to maby 14th again or maby worse. How do you figure we didn,t need to?

Believe me I'm hopeful too but in reality, The Flyers went from almost last place to probably and most likely a 100 point plus season....They WILL compete with ottawa. We went from 14th to maby 14th again or maby worse. How do you figure we didn,t need to?

you might disagree with my reasoning, but I have already posted it.

I think it is important to note what simonus pointed out. Yes Briere and a few other free agents (Traded to Philly) signed with the team. Please note every one of them were overpaid. With Briere it was up front money overpaying, and the other guys well lets just say overpaid. They did not go to Philly to win no matter how much spin is placed on the signings. As a hockey fan I like Briere and Biron and Gagne and hope they have a good season, but feel they will not make the playoffs. With Leclaire gone Habs should have NO FEAR of the Flyers.

Montreal is not one player away from the cup and to just make the playoffs is not good enough. I am waiting for Price, Chipchura and O'Byrne to be on the team before I get too excited. The franchise is being built to win, time and patience will bring years of GOOD TIMES again. Plus I am cheering on Gainey to help make the dogs a contender again. So much to like about the Habs franchise even though we are frustrated at the current Defence and lack of Big #1 center. Maybe a trade will help clear things up.

Go :hlogo:

Wanna bet???

Wanna bet???

I'm with you JMMR.

I want a piece of that pie too. :clap: