Gillett : "Briere was 20 minutes away from signing with Montreal"

Tony

http://cyberpresse.ca/article/20070810/CPS...1006/CPSPORTS01

Here's a quick translation for those who don't read French.

-Gillett said Briere was a question of minutes away from joining the Habs.

-All the signs were pointing to him to sign with Montreal, they knew he wanted to play here and next thing you know he signs with Philly.

-He said, in about the last 20 minutes of the negociations, something bad took a turn. He doesn't know what it was (speculating personal or family reasons) but the Habs stayed competitive until the end.

-After that, Montreal went to plan B and plan C.

-Bob tried hard to land a center that the Habs need to much. He said Bob was aggressive and discrete. He also discussed with many players who wanted to join with the Habs (didn't specify names but Gelinas was one guy).

-Gillett said Montreal even tried to keep Souray around even after the team signed Hamrlik but Souray said he wanted to be closer to his family in Alberta.

-He also adds that he believes the team is better than last season and that they are going in the right direction. Their current salary cap number says they have all the space they need to add a superstar to the line up (i.e.: trades or future UFA players).

-He's very optimistic for the upcoming season. He said the team shouldn't have been fighting for a playoff spot near the end. He said the team was much better than that and expects better results this season.

Interesting, but a bit outlandish. A sudden, inexplicable turn in the last 20 minutes? Sounds like PR to me.

The owner is offering some relief to his GM (who has been unfairly crapped on for his summer's performance), which is admirable, but I wouldn't take it literally. However, anything that further proves the unwavering unity within the upper echelons of the habs' organization is a good thing. If Gilette were other than unqualified in his support for Bob, why, then I'd really start to worry...

Thanks for the translation Tony. I don't speak French so I really appreciate it.

I too thought the 20 minutes thing was weird too. Reminds of of the Shanahan thing last year. He too came really close of signing with the Habs and then chose the other option at the last minute. GUess we're getting closer, eh? ;)

Some speculation from my part but my guess is the no-movement clause that the Flyers added that probably sealed the deal. The 52M$ he gets from Philadelphia is a guaranteed money no matter what. The 49M$ Montreal offered wasn't on the other hand (a.k.a. loses most of it via buyout).

Some speculation from my part but my guess is the no-movement clause that the Flyers added that probably sealed the deal. The 52M$ he gets from Philadelphia is a guaranteed money no matter what. The 49M$ Montreal offered wasn't on the other hand (a.k.a. loses most of it via buyout).

Well, that, and it was a substantially better offer that Philly tabled to the point of ridiculousness.

And who knows, maybe it was Briere's wife or something.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this one. I like Briere, but I don't think we're one player of his quality away... in other words, an All-Star but not a franchise guy. If we got a true franchise guy, I'd think differently.

But yeah, this sounds like the Shanahan PR all over again.

Well, that, and it was a substantially better offer that Philly tabled to the point of ridiculousness.

And who knows, maybe it was Briere's wife or something.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this one. I like Briere, but I don't think we're one player of his quality away... in other words, an All-Star but not a franchise guy. If we got a true franchise guy, I'd think differently.

But yeah, this sounds like the Shanahan PR all over again.

Incidentally, good call on Briere saskhab. I still think we dodged a bullet on that one - Briere and Koivu are great players, but having them both locked into long-term deals? That kind of smallness down the middle as our foundation? Kiss a Cup run goodbye.

Incidentally, good call on Briere saskhab. I still think we dodged a bullet on that one - Briere and Koivu are great players, but having them both locked into long-term deals? That kind of smallness down the middle as our foundation? Kiss a Cup run goodbye.

Well, I guess you could say that Koivu & Briere would've likely only been for 2 years (when Saku's contract runs out) so the smallness issue (if it is a problem) can be solved then, but I'm not even thinking in terms of size issues. And that contract length for a guy who easily could've had his best season already...

it is PR. why the heck would the owner come out of the blue talking about briere??

the fact of the matter is that he DIDN'T sign in montreal.

for those of you who don't read french, gillet goes along saying that the signing of a 3rd and a 7th D and a 3rd and 4th liners will make the team better than last year. of course it's PR again.

of course he cant come and say"by the way our team will suck but I still raised the ticket price"

the guy doesn't know shyte about hockey but he's saying all the right things he's been told to.

I'm starting to be real tired of getting fed bullshit. this year is do or die for canadiens brass

If they fail to make anything short of the conference final I'm calling for everyones head from the president down.

Well, the one thing that has been driving Canadiens fans for years has been hope. Eventually though, when you see lack of progress in the standings from year to year, you inevitably begin to question the moves made, or lack thereof.

Hopefully this puts to rest the center requirement. Clearly, Gainey agrees that he needed a number 1 center. The implications are he was more comfortable with Koivu as number 2 and Pleks as a number 3 center, as many of us have been saying for a year.

Since he didn't get his number 1, he signed a number 3 center and bumped Pleks and Koivu up to one and two again. To me, this is bad news. It means that once again we will have below average number 1 and number 2 centers when compared to the competitive teams. Basically, we swapped Bonk for Smol... big deal.

Gainey's failure to land a number one center is dissappointing, but I am far happy knowing that he realizes he needs one. This implies to me that he will keep trying as we go thru the year, potentially via trade. If not, he will be back at it again.

I know some Pleks fans hope he breaks out, and I do to. Its our only hope. :)

...potentially via trade

I have to believe that this is the year. I predict by December that we will have a new face to the team. Gainey recognizes the needs and has tried to fulfill them. We know BOb is proud of winning and HATES to lose. You can bet he is scanning the 29 other clubs for a potential trade.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I remember higgins and plekanec having an awesome chemestry in hamilton. now put them with a big guy cough*latendresse*cough and they could very well become a force as a second line unit

you'd have two speedsters who are aware of the defensive side of the puck and a soon-to-be power foward with soft hands. now all we need to do is find a left winger for koivu...

Hopefully this puts to rest the center requirement. Clearly, Gainey agrees that he needed a number 1 center. The implications are he was more comfortable with Koivu as number 2 and Pleks as a number 3 center, as many of us have been saying for a year.

Since he didn't get his number 1, he signed a number 3 center and bumped Pleks and Koivu up to one and two again. To me, this is bad news. It means that once again we will have below average number 1 and number 2 centers when compared to the competitive teams. Basically, we swapped Bonk for Smol... big deal.

Gainey's failure to land a number one center is dissappointing, but I am far happy knowing that he realizes he needs one. This implies to me that he will keep trying as we go thru the year, potentially via trade. If not, he will be back at it again.

That's the thing. Bob is perfectly aware that we need a C and has been for a good while - witness his efforts to sign Arnott last summer. Those Marleau rumours I'm sure were well-founded. What Bob's critics overlook is that, first, deals for elite C don't just fall magically into place (unless you have the dumb luck to be Doug Wilson); secondly, that most other GMs are going to angle for young players that most of us would absolutely hate to lose, e.g., Higgins, Price, Komi...; thirdly, that any C Bob does acquire had better be someone that the team can reasonably expect to sign for a good long time (that's where the danger lies with Marleau).

I trust Bob to try his best and have good judgement. But that doesn't guarantee that he'll get what we all want. At some point he may have to be forced into a higher-risk move (e.g., a Higgins-for-Marleau scenario) but we're not there yet. Patience, young Jedi.

Thanks for the translation Tony. I don't speak French so I really appreciate it.

I too thought the 20 minutes thing was weird too. Reminds of of the Shanahan thing last year. He too came really close of signing with the Habs and then chose the other option at the last minute. GUess we're getting closer, eh? ;)

Pure damage control. In interviews Brierre doesn't even mention the habs. At least it was Shanny that said he almost came to Montreal. Maby Brierre will say something when the habs first play Philli. Bottom line is we didn't get him.

Yes, we need a first line center, but who knows if some guys step it up and create a really strong second line that surprises us this year. Which is very possible. They could bump Saku's line to second and we will have what we've been looking for. It's not too far fetched to think Carbs for some reason goes with Higgins ,Pleks and Latendresse at the start of the year. They EXPLODE and become unstoppable. Pleks scores 22 goals , Higgins 50 and Latty bags 32. All the 1st line center talk would stop real fast.

I hope Gainey and the fans catch a break like this soon we need to be rewarded with some homegrown talent showing up....screw a trade

Briere has mentioned in other interviews with the local media the UFA situation with Montreal.

As for now, the only PR move (not much of a PR move, more showing his intentions) I see here is Gillett sticking up for Bob.

He doesn't need to justify what didn't get accomplished, if he had any messages to deliver, he'd get them through big mouth Boivin.

I remember higgins and plekanec having an awesome chemestry in hamilton. now put them with a big guy cough*latendresse*cough and they could very well become a force as a second line unit

you'd have two speedsters who are aware of the defensive side of the puck and a soon-to-be power foward with soft hands. now all we need to do is find a left winger for koivu...

Higgins and Plekanec are already together in the NHL and they are already part of our best line with Kostitsyn. Playing them together would be nothing new. Latendresse is the winger for Koivu. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lats-Koivu-Kovalev line, just that Ryder would have nowhere to go.

Higgins and Plekanec are already together in the NHL and they are already part of our best line with Kostitsyn. Playing them together would be nothing new. Latendresse is the winger for Koivu. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lats-Koivu-Kovalev line, just that Ryder would have nowhere to go.

at the last game higgins was back with koivu and ryder.

come training camp 2 top line spots will be fought between kovalev,kostitsyn and latendresse.

the only one I see demoted is latendresse since we can use his toughness on every line. unless carbonneau uses kostitsyn like he used perezhogin on the 3rd line last year...as long as he forgives kosts mistakes better than he did with AP.

Brière does not worth all the money he got. If he didn't produce in the first 20 games

everybody would call Gainey head. It's the perfect ending for Gainey not to get him.

No it's not two months after and the (frenc)media are still whining about not getting Brière

and questionning Bob autority and ability as a GM. I would like to see Bob crushing the little

reporters with one of his look that kills. Bob's the man without general of the team went down the drain

in the middle of the season. Everybody has respect for him and he doesn't need approval of the

owner and wipe it clean Pierre Boivin.

The only mistake Gainey made yet is not to trade Souray at the deadline, in my point of view.

But they still had hope for playoff and without Souray it would have been throwing the off season

in the trash. So it's not a mistake it was a gamble and it didn't paid.

The only mistake Gainey made yet is not to trade Souray at the deadline, in my point of view.

But they still had hope for playoff and without Souray it would have been throwing the off season

in the trash. So it's not a mistake it was a gamble and it didn't paid.

I really hope he doesn't do the same mistakes next febuary and trade ryder and huet. with price and the emergence of young studs, both will be expandable.

I heard draft pool next year will be better then this years so if we give something for timmins to play with(I.E another 1st rounder) I'm sure he can turn it into gold.

I had an experience two weeks ago that confirmed to me absolutely that not getting Briere is a good thing. I was at the University of Ottawa sports complex to get an Active Release treatment, and was early for my appointment, so I was killing some time hanging out by the rink. Guys were coming in to do a hockey conditioning workout with Lorne Goldenberg, and as I was watching them file in, I saw a familiar face. It was Daniel Briere. And while I knew he was small, I didn't realize just how small until I was standing within three feet of him. The NHL website has him listed at 5'10", but I can tell you with absolute certainty that he's much shorter than that. I'm 5'11", and I'm several inches taller than him; he's not only a 'smurf', he's a 'baby smurf'!!!

I met him in april and I can tell you for certain that hes not 5'11 he a bit smaller than me and i'm 5'10.

however, being small is not a handicap anymore. the brieres and st louis of this world have done magic. but I agree that he wasn't a good asset at his price. beside, we already have too many small players.

Well, Briere would have been additional scoring but would have he been a difference maker? I doubt it. The only impact I could Briere making had he signed in Montreal would have been that he could have help the Habs land other big UFAs.

Since that didn't happen, you won't hear any complaints from me. I'm quite happy he went to Philadelphia. Had he taken the Habs' final offer of 49M$ for seven year, I'd be pretty ticked off.

He may be small but he is only second to Sid the kid in Jersey's sold in North America. Did you guys know that Hockeybuzz.com had 18 million hits in JUly?

WOW

geez thats alot of misled people

We don't need Briere. What we need is a team that plays better defence. Both front and back.

Smolinski vs. Samsonov.

Hamrlik vs. Souray. We lose 8 scoring points, but gain about 60 plus/minus. And save salary as well.

Edited by bigbird19