Press Conference Scheduled for 4pm?

Helmethead

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd take the liberty of starting a new thread.

Team 990 is reporting that the Habs have called a news conference for 4pm this afternoon. Speculation is that it's for the announcement of the numbers which are to be retired, however nothing has been announced yet.

Again, if a thread already exists, please mods feel free to merge mine as well.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd take the liberty of starting a new thread.

Team 990 is reporting that the Habs have called a news conference for 4pm this afternoon. Speculation is that it's for the announcement of the numbers which are to be retired, however nothing has been announced yet.

Again, if a thread already exists, please mods feel free to merge mine as well.

La Presse newspaper reports that the Montreal Canadiens will announce the retirement of numbers 19 and 23 at the 4 PM news conference today. Larry Robinson #19 and Bob Gainey #23. :clap:

Very nice. I wish I can score tickets to those games.

Yep. Me too. Here's hoping they'll retire one of those numbers at the start of the new year :)

:hlogo:

you know, I think it's great that they're honouring the old players who completely deserve honouring, but don't you feel for the guys on the team now that end up wearing football style numbers? 19 and 23, that's two more "real" numbers they can't use.

Since they started this process post-lockout leading up to the centennial, they've retired numbers in chronological order from when they retired. So it makes sense that Robinson & Gainey would be next. Then, if there is one number left slated to be retired in the centennial, it'll be Roy. Sucks that guys like Toe Blake aren't up there... or a banner for Vezina (they didn't wear numbers back then), maybe Hainsworth as well.

you know, I think it's great that they're honouring the old players who completely deserve honouring, but don't you feel for the guys on the team now that end up wearing football style numbers? 19 and 23, that's two more "real" numbers they can't use.

No one has used those 2 numbers since they retired anyways, just like #33. #5 (Boom Boom) was used frequently, though. Very few of these numbers were being handed out, and after the centennial, I think this process is pretty much done. After Roy, there's no other number left to retire. As good as Saku is, he's not nearly at that level to consider in the grand scheme of the Habs... the only way that would happen is if he ended his career with a few Cups as captain. No one else bears mentioning... only Theodore was a major award winner of the group.

In other words... it'll be a long time before we have another jersey retirement ceremony after 2009.

Great stuff. But dare I ask - should Bob Gainey *really* have his number retired? Captain; 4-time Selke Trophy winner; single-handedly created the concept of the dominant 'defensive' forward; lots of Cups; Hall of Fame. Nonetheless, the forwards whose numbers now hang in the rafters are to a man spectacular NHL all-stars, offensive talents par excellence, the type of players that define eras and bring shivers up the spine. Gainey would unquestionably warrant having his number retired on any other franchise, but this doesn't seem like a no-brainer to me, given the context. (Think about it this way. Carbo was almost as dominant a checker in his era as Gainey was in his own. Should he also have his number retired?).

I'm not complaining, mind you - just raising this for debate.

Great stuff. But dare I ask - should Bob Gainey *really* have his number retired? Captain; 4-time Selke Trophy winner; single-handedly created the concept of the dominant 'defensive' forward; lots of Cups; Hall of Fame. Nonetheless, the forwards whose numbers now hang in the rafters are to a man spectacular NHL all-stars, offensive talents par excellence, the type of players that define eras and bring shivers up the spine. Gainey would unquestionably warrant having his number retired on any other franchise, but this doesn't seem like a no-brainer to me, given the context. (Think about it this way. Carbo was almost as dominant a checker in his era as Gainey was in his own. Should he also have his number retired?).

Gainey was way better than Carbonneau. His work in the 1979 Finals is legendary (you forgot his Conn Smythe in your analysis). He also was a habs from beginning to end, much longer than Carbo was. Gainey was considered the best player in the world by the Russians... how often did Carbonneau even play for Team Canada?

I like Carbo, but he's a borderline Hall of Fame guy if he ever gets in. There's no doubt about Gainey's selection.

And Gainey would've had like 8 Selkes if anyone had thought to give an award to defensive forwards before he came along. In short, Gainey is the only reason Carbo won 3 Selkes... he'd have zero if they hadn't have created the award to accomodate Gainey's exceptional shutdown skills.

When you scan the list of retired jersey players for the Canadiens, Gainey does seem to be probably the least heralded of the bunch, but that doesn't make him less deserving. True, the other forwards were offensive superstars, players considered to be the best in the league bar none during their days, but Gainey's efforts in a different era are still worthy. As you mentioned, he defined the concept of defensive forward for years to come and he did lead the Canadiens to the Cup several times.

I think he deserves it, but it is a fair question to ask nonetheless and homerism aside he would probably be the weakest of that fantastic bunch (obviously he is still a fantastic player, but in the context).

It was quite disappointing it took the organization so long to retire Larry Robinson's number. He had asked them to consider speeding up the prcoess so his ailing father could see it, but I believe his father died two or three years ago.

As for Patrick Roy - well eventually the Canadiens will patch things up with him. But it'll take a long time for that to happen, and you better believe that they won't retire his number until they do.

Gainey was way better than Carbonneau. His work in the 1979 Finals is legendary (you forgot his Conn Smythe in your analysis). He also was a habs from beginning to end, much longer than Carbo was. Gainey was considered the best player in the world by the Russians... how often did Carbonneau even play for Team Canada?

I like Carbo, but he's a borderline Hall of Fame guy if he ever gets in. There's no doubt about Gainey's selection.

And Gainey would've had like 8 Selkes if anyone had thought to give an award to defensive forwards before he came along. In short, Gainey is the only reason Carbo won 3 Selkes... he'd have zero if they hadn't have created the award to accomodate Gainey's exceptional shutdown skills.

Good answer!

Gainey is of course deserving of the honour. As smon points out, the only reason it's a topic for debate is because of his role on the team - a checking winger (although I would disagree that he's the weakest of the bunch; only the most unheralded). The scorers get all the glory, and defensemen who defend well are recognized for it, like Serge last year and now Robinson. I'm glad the Canadiens have recognized that superb defensive forwards contribute as much to winning games (and Cups) as anyone else.

Of course, he deserves it! Shame on you for doubting him! :clap:

Of course, he deserves it! Shame on you for doubting him! :clap:

I am amazed that people still do not give Bob Gainey his due. On a team full of superstars he was recognized by Viktor Tikhonov and the Soviet Union as the greatest all around hockey player in the world. Recognized in a Hockey News Poll as the 86th greatest player of all-time and had a Selke trophy created just for him. HE HAD AN AWARD CREATED FOR HIM!

He won the Selke 4 times and if the award was created for him then you have to assume that he would have won it 5 or 6 times. He also won the Conn Smythe trophy during the 1979 Playoffs. The MVP on a team that had Guy Lafleur, Jacques Lemaire, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe and Ken Dryden. He is also a member of the Hall of Fame. He mentored future Selke trophy winners Doug Jarvis and Guy Carbonneau and captained a Stanley Cup Champion.

It just goes to show the lack of recognition that defense receives in sports today.

OK OK, my point was simply the incogruity of a checker having his sweater retired by the 'Flying Frenchmen.' Cool yer jets, I love Bob as much as the next man - check out my reply to the 'favourite habs' subheader, for God's sake!!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

OK OK, my point was simply the incogruity of a checker having his sweater retired by the 'Flying Frenchmen.' Cool yer jets, I love Bob as much as the next man - check out my reply to the 'favourite habs' subheader, for God's sake!!

Not personal. Just people always say Bob was a great player but.........

Good for him :):clap: