Games consoles ...?

bombTHEice

Comparing the 360 to the PS3 is ok, but comparing either to the Wii is like apples and oranges.

I haven't played PS3, but I would recommend the 360. PS3 is a little more powerful, but it's more expensive and it doesn't seem like it's that much better to warrant paying more. Plus, since the 360 has been out longer, you'll have a wider selection of games right away. Like I said, I can't compare them from personal experience, but I really like the 360. And this is coming from someone who had a PS1 and a PS2 and didn't really like the original Xbox.

As for the Wii, I enjoy it a lot. I would say, however, that if you don't like Nintendo brand games, i.e. Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc., then don't get it yet. Third party games haven't been that great so far in my opinion. That being said, I like Nintendo brand games so I've had quite a few games that have been very enjoyable. It's the best system for if you have some friends over and you wanna fool around with some video games, since it has a lot of "party" type games that are easy to pick up, even for non-video game players.

The job I just finished up had everything to do with gaming. The majority of people I've encountered enjoy the 360 a lot more because of it's great online play and game selection. Most of the ppl who prefer the PS3 are those who totally LOVE sony and followed PS all the way from the start. I've played on both at work and like the 360 overall. But if you're looking for something that's going to give you great quality in terms of visuals (and you have a whole HD thing going at your house) go with the PS3 (it also comes with Blu-Ray player which is why the price is a little higher).

Forget the Wii unless you're into a party system.

I know I've missed some points, but the others have/will cover them.

Maca, what was your job anyways? You never told me what your project was.

I provided quality assurance for the electronic entertainment industry. In other words, I was a game tester.

There isn't really a "best one", it just depends on what you're looking for in a console.

Xbox 360 - You've got the best online service by far with probably the best game library out of the 3. It's a little slanted towards shooters but that trend is starting to even out. They're still having problems wearing out though so buying a 360 is still like a crap shoot. It may die on you next week, it might be fine for the entire life of the system. The Achievement system is another favorite amongst gamers and adds replayability to pretty much every game. Reccomended games include Bioshock, Elder Scrolls IV, Gears of War and Halo 3.

Wii - This system is easily the most innovative out of the three but is more directed at the non-gamer as opposed to core gamers. As a result, it's churning out crappy party games every week but that third party trend will change in the coming months with games like No More Heroes and Disaster: Day of Crisis, two very anticipated games. If you're a longtime gamer however, this is your system with the Virtual Console. Both the 360 and PS3 have their own arcade networks but many agree the VC far surpasses them. You can choose games from the NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Turbo-Grafx 16 and the Neo Geo. If you're looking for good online play, this is definitely a system to avoid, the Friend Code system is horrific. Reccomended games include: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3 and the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy

Playstation 3 - This is basically the leftovers of what the other two systems aren't. The graphics are far superior to either console but game choice is a premium right now, what with developers struggling with the Blu-ray format. Theres a huge list of amazing games for 2008 however and online play, while not the perfection of Xbox Live, also isn't the steaming pile of crap the Wii offers. Playstation Network is basically serviceable to the needs of a regular video game player. The Sixaxis controller isn't as streamlessly easy to use as the Wii controller is, it can be finicky at times almost to the point of a nuisance. The price has been cut majorly so now it's also a little bit more affordable and it has some great connectivity features with the PSP. I'm not sure why someone would want a PSP but, you know, it's there if you've got it, I know my friend really enjoys it. Reccomended games include Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Warhawk, Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword

For myself as a gamer, I'd rank them:

1. Xbox 360

2. Nintendo Wii

3. Playstation 3

Forget the Wii unless you're into a party system.

Are you kidding me Maca, the Wii has some fantastic solo player games. Its party games stink.

I am a newcomer to the xbox 360 and my brother has had Wii for a long time. Wii is definitely innovate, as others have stated, but I am less than crazy about the games. IMO, the Wii is very novel - it is has a high neat quotient, but it is not nearly the gaming console that the xbox 360 is. Xbox has a ton of good games, and soon you will be able to get Rock Band! Rock Band is a total killer app - I would buy the xbox just to have the opportunity to play it. RB will also be available for PS3 and PS2, but the PS2 version is hobbled (you can't download extra songs) and the PS3 is more expensive than xbox. The full version of RB is $170, though, which might be too expensive for somebody that isn't insane for it, but you can get the starter version for ~$80 and add on after that.

If you liked Frequency, Amplitude, Samba de Amigo, Guitar Hero, Parapa the Rappa or any other rhythm/music game, you will go nuts for RB - I played it at Best Buy today and it was like manna.

I have also fallen in love with NHL2008 and (strangely enough) Lego Star Wars.

I am far from a hardcore gamer and I far prefer my xbox 360. PS3 doesn't seem to have enough cool games.

Have I ever told you that you're hardcore Jet? :P I actually have each of those recommended games for the 360.

Hardcore is one way to put it.

I prefer "Geek who invests way too much of his life into video games'. :P It's definitely my "area of specialty" though, haha.

Are you kidding me Maca, the Wii has some fantastic solo player games. Its party games stink.

Hahahaha sorri, we ripped on the Wii so much at work that it's just in my head that way. Honestly, I've never tried it... but I haven't heard a ton of good about it (compared to the others). However, if I have the money, I'd buy one when Smash comes out :D.

Hahahaha sorri, we ripped on the Wii so much at work that it's just in my head that way. Honestly, I've never tried it... but I haven't heard a ton of good about it (compared to the others). However, if I have the money, I'd buy one when Smash comes out :D.

Really?

It got a better critical reception then the other two. It'll be the best-selling console by the time the generation is over too but thats a little jaded considering who Nintendo is targeting. They themselves just admitted though that they're going to start focusing on the core gamer soon as well though.

I have also fallen in love with NHL2008 and (strangely enough) Lego Star Wars.

There's nothing strange about it, Lego Star Wars if an awesome game. Gameplay is simply enough for a five year old to play, but searching out all the extras takes some good thinking and getting 100% completion takes some actual skill at times. Very funny game too.

Hey cool, thanks a lot for the answers.

So in the end it might be the best to buy the XBox (is there a newer version than the 360 coming out soon, or will it take a bit longer?).

Though on the other hand, there should be also games for my girlfriend as we want to buy it together ... maybe some good jump & runs. For me I'd only need NHL08 and that's where I can't buy a Wii as it isn't available for this console.

I think we can find some good games for you and your girlfriend on the 360. There are also a variety of Arcade style games available for download that will fit the bill. If that fails, there's always the new Sonic game (my girlfriend liked that one, hehe).

Also, the 360 has that Pink Controller now - I'm soo getting one of those. :D

Hey cool, thanks a lot for the answers.

So in the end it might be the best to buy the XBox (is there a newer version than the 360 coming out soon, or will it take a bit longer?).

Though on the other hand, there should be also games for my girlfriend as we want to buy it together ... maybe some good jump & runs. For me I'd only need NHL08 and that's where I can't buy a Wii as it isn't available for this console.

Yeah, 360 is probably your best bet. Microsoft just released the Elite in May so there won't be another version out for a while. 360 has a library that suits everyone so I wouldn't worry about your girlfriend. :)

I think we can find some good games for you and your girlfriend on the 360. There are also a variety of Arcade style games available for download that will fit the bill. If that fails, there's always the new Sonic game (my girlfriend liked that one, hehe).

Ick, if theres a character that didn't pass to the 3D generation gracefully, it's Sonic. He's still waiting for a decent game.

Cool - I've ordered a 360, another controller and NHL08 so far.

So Maca, which good jump&run and fight games (ala Tekken, only one I've played so far) do you know? :-)

I know you specified Maca but Dead Or Alive 4 would be a good place to start. Soul Calibur IV is also being released next year for the 360 and PS3, arguably the best fighting franchise ever. Soul Calibur II for the Xbox is compatible with the 360 backwards update as Dead Or Alive 3 and Dead Or Alive: Ultimate. For 360 games though, you'd have to be into WWE if you wanted another decent fighting game.

360 doesn't have much in terms of platforming games though.

Fight Night Round 3 is pretty cool, but you won't spend a lifetime on it. If you're into RPGs, you should pick up a copy of Oblivion. That's the game I'm playing right now - but it takes a gazilion hours to complete, hehe. Best bet would be to find a used copy somewhere - not sure what you've got in your area that deals with that (we have EB Games here).

BioShock was a pretty amazing game as well - but it's a shooter/slasher. I'm really not too much into fighting games, so can't help you there. Jetsniper is right though, Soul Calibur will be a must have.

No problem jets, thx a lot!

Dead or Alive sounds good, should try this as it isn't that expensive too.

Btw. Do you also know a good site for game reviews?

Go to gamerankings.com. It compiles every site's review it possibly can and gives you an average score. It will also link you to each site's review of each game.

Just don't go to Gamespot for reviews, they're probably among the worst.

The PS3 is the only one with F1 racing - so if you like to race, as I do, there's really no choice at all. (Not that I have the time to play or can afford a system at all, but I thought I'd chime in.)

Played the Wii. Cute. Gets boring fast. Great for women to get involved in my experience. Good for folks who sit around too much as well as they'll finally get some exercise. Beware: I got tennis elbow playing tennis.

Have the original X-Box. Fine enough. Getting the 360? Doubt it highly. I'm taking the leap from Micro$oft over the next while. No interest in their crap anymore. (Surprise surprise their system wears out quickly. Images of Win 98/Win ME all over again.) Next computer system I get will be an Apple.

Played the Wii. Cute. Gets boring fast. Great for women to get involved in my experience. Good for folks who sit around too much as well as they'll finally get some exercise. Beware: I got tennis elbow playing tennis.

Please tell me you're not basing that lame opinion just on Wii Sports.

It sounds like Oblivion, or something compareable, wouldn't be the right game for me ... i prefer games which doesn't take that long, sports games and so on.

Dead Or Alive 4 is the next on my list, now I'll have to find a jump&run ... maybe there's a good one for the old XBox?