3. Jean Beliveau

4. Guy Lafleur

5. Jaques Plante

6. Larry Robinson

7. Henri Richard

8. Dickie Moore

9. Bob Gainey

10. Ken Dryden

Npt a bad list. I think a few guys that could have been added: Roy, Morenz, Serge Savard, Cournroyer.

And seriously though, what about Gino Odjick!!!

I don't know who you would take off the list though

Edited by markierung

I would probably put Morenz on the list and take off Dickie Moore. That's my opinion. Morenz would be just ahead of Lafleur in my opinion

I would not have Harvey at #2 and I wouldn't have Moore on the list.

I would try to have Patrick Roy on there though I think Geoffrion deserves consideration.

i think Plante and Dryden winning a lot more cups is why roy isn't on it.

I also don't think Geoffrion should be on that list. All the other guys were the best at their position or role in the team during their time period

Morenz is the most deserving addition. He was the best player in the world before the forward pass was allowed

i agree with you, i'm just saying that's why THN probably didn't put him on

The funny thing about that is every single team was listed in that article but none of them had a paragraph introducing, justifying or explaining the selections...except the Habs. They knew that habs fans would go WTF, so they prefaced it by saying Roy's career was just as great in Colorado so you can't use his whole body of work..blah blah blah.

Roy is one of the top 10 Habs of All-time in my books. It ended badly, but without him we would all be sitting on close to a 30 year drought. AND THAT IS LEAF TERRITORY!!

Thank you Patrick for the greatest 6 week ride of my life in 1993 :clap:

Thank you Patrick for the greatest 6 week ride of my life in 1993

No kidding. The Entire city was focusd on the habs. I remember i was 17, and it was my last year of high School. PLus I had just started working the previous year at Réno-Dépôt(a big box hardware store).

Every night, at 9 o'clock when the store closed, our boses would put the game on the intercom system throughout the store. It was awesome. Not to mention that i spent my last day of school on Ste-Catherine street for the parade!

One of the best days of my life!

King Patrick definitely deserves to be on that list. true that he played well in Colorado, but he did spend 11 years in Montreal, and without him, out stanley cup drought would be in it's 29th year, not it's 14th year!

Edited by Habsfan

No kidding. The Entire city was focusd on the habs. I remember i was 17, and it was my last year of high School. PLus I had just started working the previous year at Réno-Dépôt(a big box hardware store).

Every night, at 9 o'clock when the store closed, our boses would put the game on the intercom system throughout the store. It was awesome. Not to mention that i spent my last day of school on Ste-Catherine street for the parade!

One of the best days of my life!

King Patrick definitely deserves to be on that list. true that he played well in Colorado, but he did spend 11 years in Montreal, and without him, out stanley cup drought would be in it's 29th year, not it's 14th year!

I celebrated my 20th birthday the day they won it in 1993. That year was electric in Toronto as well because the Leafs were on the best run they had been on in close to 30 years. So for me I was watching a ridiculously tense game every single night. Watching the Habs hoping they would win and the next night watching the Leafs hoping they would lose.

It turned out great for me in the end. My friends...not so happy :lol:

I celebrated my 20th birthday the day they won it in 1993. That year was electric in Toronto as well because the Leafs were on the best run they had been on in close to 30 years. So for me I was watching a ridiculously tense game every single night. Watching the Habs hoping they would win and the next night watching the Leafs hoping they would lose.

It turned out great for me in the end. My friends...not so happy :lol:

Lucky bastard! That was a nice birthday present you got from the :hlogo: !! :clap:;)

Lucky bastard! That was a nice birthday present you got from the :hlogo: !! :clap:;)

You're telling me. That is why I named my son Patrick Roy. I tried to talk my wife into Carey Price for our daughter...but she was having none of it.

Edited by Wamsley01

You're telling me. That is why I named my son Patrick Roy. I tried to talk my wife into Carey Price for our daughter...but she was having none of it.

I don'T know you well enough to know if you're joking or not, so i don't know what to say!! :blink::unsure:

Edited by Habsfan

I don'T know you well enough to know if you're joking or not, so i don't know what to say!! :blink::unsure:

100% true :lol: Some think I am crazy, some think it is awesome. Works for me ^_^

I like it.

But seriously though. Roy and Morenz really need to be on this list.

Moore should be off for sure. In my opinion, and i know it's crazy, but i think Roy should be there instead of Dryden. Roy Revolutionized the position. Dryden was great, but i think his winning 6 cups in eight years has much more to do with the team in front of him than with him.

Roy revolutionized the position and was the best in the world. I think tretiak might have even been better than Dryden.

I'd put Dryden in at number 11

Well, we can all agree on #1. The Rocket.

Wamsley01, I was 23 years old and living in Montreal during the magical 93 run. I was in the Forum for the McSorley stick. And for Game 5. And on the streets for the Cup parade, high-fiving Mike Keane in the float.

Thinking back, that entire week seems bathed in sepia tones - just a golden week when the sun seemed to shine brighter and all was right with the world. Having the Habs win the Cup is like having great sex after years of celibacy. :lol:

And nobody can tell me that Patrick Roy is not the last in the mystical line of Great Montreal Canadiens, figures of greatness that shine out of time.

For what it's worth here's my list:

1. Maurice Richard

2. Doug Harvey

3. Jean Beliveau

4. Guy Lafleur

5. Howie Morenz

6. Jaques Plante

7. Henri Richard

8. Patrick Roy

9. Larry Robinson

10. Ken Dryden

Mostly agree with the THN list, but Morenz is one of those figures of myth and HAS to be up there in the top 5. I have a shirt with his number fer chirssakes! I remember one of the older guys I used to play pickup hockey with being blown away: 'man! from out of the mists of time...' he said with respect.

That Gainey doesn't make my list is no insult to a great player, captain, and builder, it just shows that this is THE MONTREAL CANADIENS, not the bloody Vancouver Canucks.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I like it.

But seriously though. Roy and Morenz really need to be on this list.

Moore should be off for sure. In my opinion, and i know it's crazy, but i think Roy should be there instead of Dryden. Roy Revolutionized the position. Dryden was great, but i think his winning 6 cups in eight years has much more to do with the team in front of him than with him.

Roy revolutionized the position and was the best in the world. I think tretiak might have even been better than Dryden.

I'd put Dryden in at number 11

I guess it all really comes down to how you view it. Contribution to the success? Numbers? Dedication to the organization? The hard thing about an organization like the Habs is they can have a guy like Roy/Dryden/Moore get left off because they have so many greats.

My guess is it was about numbers and cups. If Numbers played an important part there is no way you can leave Dryden off.

Well, we can all agree on #1. The Rocket.

Wamsley01, I was 23 years old and living in Montreal during the magical 93 run. I was in the Forum for the McSorley stick. And for Game 5. And on the streets for the Cup parade, high-fiving Mike Keane in the float.

Thinking back, that entire week seems bathed in sepia tones - just a golden week when the sun seemed to shine brighter and all was right with the world. Having the Habs win the Cup is like having great sex after years of celibacy. :lol:

And nobody can tell me that Patrick Roy is not the last in the mystical line of Great Montreal Canadiens, figures of greatness that shine out of time.

For what it's worth here's my list:

1. Maurice Richard

2. Doug Harvey

3. Jean Beliveau

4. Guy Lafleur

5. Howie Morenz

6. Jaques Plante

7. Henri Richard

8. Patrick Roy

9. Larry Robinson

10. Ken Dryden

Mostly agree with the THN list, but Morenz is one of those figures of myth and HAS to be up there in the top 5. I have a shirt with his number fer chirssakes! I remember one of the older guys I used to play pickup hockey with being blown away: 'man! from out of the mists of time...' he said with respect.

That Gainey doesn't make my list is no insult to a great player, captain, and builder, it just shows that this is THE MONTREAL CANADIENS, not the bloody Vancouver Canucks.

Yeah, the thing about 93 was the Habs had never been bad in my life and it was just the Cup returning to the rightful owners, 100th year of the Stanley Cup etc etc. 10 OTs, Roy's wink, Coming back from the dead against the Nords, Dipietro's hat trick, Desjardins hat trick, Leclair 2 OT goals. Amazing summer!

But I digress

The thing I don't understand about this list. If Gainey makes it, it is surely not about numbers. Plante was an innovator, Roy as well. If Roy was in net in the 70s would the Habs have won 6 Cups? If Dryden was in net in the 80s/90s would Montreal have won 2 Cups? My guess is Roy wins in the 70s and Dryden not in the 80s/90s.

But that is the thing about lists. They are created for debate.

For what it is worth, here is mine. I include numbers, longevity, impact, dedication in my assessment.

1. Maurice Richard

2. Jean Beliveau

3. Doug Harvey

4. Guy Lafleur

5. Patrick Roy

6. Howie Morenz

7. Jaques Plante

8. Larry Robinson

9. Ken Dryden

10. Bob Gainey

I think Roy is the best goalie of all time, so I moved him way up. Roy spanned 2 different eras in NHL history. He won a Cup in 86 when the Oilers were scoring 18 goals per game and his equipment was leather, small and heavy and then he also excelled in the dead puck era when the equipment was HUGE (his doing). None of his contemporaries did. Some excelled in the 80s (Fuhr, Moog, Hextall), some in the 90s (Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour). But none of them did it in both. Add the butterfly effect, the science of goaltending, the large equipment and the generation of great French goaltenders and I think he is the best of all-time. IMO

For the rest Morenz is just a black and white highlight reel for me, but I understand the greatness. Dryden's career was unbelievable and Bob Gainey had a trophy created to reward players llike him for god's sake (I guess I should have Vezina on here as well then eh :))

Edited by Wamsley01

Yeah, the thing about 93 was the Habs had never been bad in my life and it was just the Cup returning to the rightful owners, 100th year of the Stanley Cup etc etc. 10 OTs, Roy's wink, Coming back from the dead against the Nords, Dipietro's hat trick, Desjardins hat trick, Leclair 2 OT goals. Amazing summer!

It really was a different frame of mind. I used to get terribly worked up over burning issues like whether the Habs were going to be able to win the President's Trophy, or whether we were 'really' Cup contenders or 'merely' a top-10 team. Year after year, all we would worry about was not winning the Cup (!).

If you had told me in 1993 what nightmares lay in store, I think I would either have fainted in horror or laughed in disbelief.

Here's my list.

1. Maurice Richard

2. Doug Harvey

3. Patrick Roy

4. Howie Morenz

5. Jaques Plante

6. Larry Robinson

7. Jean Beliveau

8. Guy Lafleur

9. Ken Dryden

10. Bob Gainey

I'll put Roy at number 4 just for his time in Montreal. I was so happy in 1993 that I named my daughter

Patrick Roy. :wacko:

Edited by Peter Puck

It really was a different frame of mind. I used to get terribly worked up over burning issues like whether the Habs were going to be able to win the President's Trophy, or whether we were 'really' Cup contenders or 'merely' a top-10 team. Year after year, all we would worry about was not winning the Cup (!).

If you had told me in 1993 what nightmares lay in store, I think I would either have fainted in horror or laughed in disbelief.

LOL. I remember I was so bloody spoiled that I would get mad when they won and gave up more than 2 goals.

How they hell are you going to win the Jennings by a score of 5-4????

Man was I an arrogant ahole back then when it came to the Habs. Let's hope Karma has paid me back and owes me something. It would be nice to be that arrogant ahole again :lol:

Here's my list.

1. Maurice Richard

2. Jean Beliveau

3. Doug Harvey

4. Patrick Roy

5. Guy Lafleur

6. Howie Morenz

7. Jaques Plante

8. Larry Robinson

9. Ken Dryden

10. Bob Gainey

I'll put Roy at number 4 just for his time in Montreal. I was so happy in 1993 that I named my daughter

Patrick Roy. :wacko:

You too?