Jersey Numbers

JLP

besides Roy, the only other guys whose number i see them retiring would be steve shutt and guy lapointe

there are soo many good p^layers who played for our storied franchise that at some poitn you have to make some difficult choices. Some people say the Emile "Butch" Bouchard should have his number 3 retired, others say that the Habs HAVE to retire Lapointe's number 5(he was after all the 3rd member of the big three!)

In my book, after Roy's 33, i,d probably retire Shutt's 22. I say probably because even though Shutt had 4 forty goal season(including a 60 goal campaign) he did not finish his career with at least 1 point per game. He did however finish his career with 424 goals, which places him in the top 10 all time in the organization!

there are soo many good p^layers who played for our storied franchise that at some poitn you have to make some difficult choices. Some people say the Emile "Butch" Bouchard should have his number 3 retired, others say that the Habs HAVE to retire Lapointe's number 5(he was after all the 3rd member of the big three!)

In my book, after Roy's 33, i,d probably retire Shutt's 22. I say probably because even though Shutt had 4 forty goal season(including a 60 goal campaign) he did not finish his career with at least 1 point per game. He did however finish his career with 424 goals, which places him in the top 10 all time in the organization!

I don't think you will see Shutt's number retired. They got the core guys. Lafleur, Robinson, Dryden, Savard and Gainey.

If you make an argument for Shutt, then you make an argument for Lemaire, then you make an argument for Lapointe, then you make an argument for Pete Mahovlich etc etc.

Lafleur was a no brainer, Robinson and Dryden as well. Gainey and Savard both own the distinction of being the GM as well, and in Savard's case won 2 Cups.

The Habs have a ridiculous standard to be retired and as much as I loved Shutt. I don't think he meets it.

Roy will be the last one for a while

The Habs have a ridiculous standard to be retired and as much as I loved Shutt. I don't think he meets it.

Roy will be the last one for a while

you're probably right, and I have no problems with that!

If Koivu sticks around for 10 more years and bags a stanley cup win or two, he could be a contender for a jersey retirement. I'd love to see that!

No Hall of Fame, likely no jersey retirement. If he does win a couple of Cups and squeaks in to the Hall he will be retired for sure.

I remember hearing Guillaume wearing #84 made him the first NHL player to wear that number, and meant that every number from 0-99 had been worn in the NHL.

Anyone ever wear #0 (or #00) for the Habs? I know John Davidson wore 0 for the Rangers, and Marty Biron wore #00 for the Sabres when he was called up as a junior. The NHL has since amended the rules to not allow players to wear #0 or #00.

As for #75... are the 5 players in 1934-35 are all more significant than Yann Danis?

Oh yeah, and sorry Tom Kostopolous, but #6 should be retired. Toe Blake deserves to be up there with everyone of the guys he coached. Heck, as a player he's right up there as well. His importance to the CH should be reflected on its own in the rafters.

thank god we have the sense not to do the stupid toronto thing where they "honor" players by putting pictures of them around the arena.

On another note, why don't the habs retire Georges Vezina's jersey?

thank god we have the sense not to do the stupid toronto thing where they "honor" players by putting pictures of them around the arena.

On another note, why don't the habs retire Georges Vezina's jersey?

It'd just be a blank jersey... he played before they had numbers!

This may be out of whack but given all the pros to retiring and ceremonies before a game (which Im totally for) I wanna know HOW many games have we won when there is a ceremony that game night! I'm sure we have a terrible record on those days! (at least in the last two or three seasons)

Any other team would retire Saku Koivu's number, because of what he has meant to the franchise over the last decade- and he's basically been the only consistently good thing about it. But this is the :hlogo: Only the GREATEST players of their generation - not just of Habs' players, but in all of hockey - get their numbers in the rafters. And the only remaining player who is truly a *legend* in all of hockey is the great Patrick Roy.

And folks, enjoy these ceremonies while you can. Because for future generations of Habs fans, all honorary ceremonies (and there won't be any additional jersey retirements for a looong time after #33 goes up there) are going to be no different from what we associate with other teams - nice gestures to good hockey players on good teams. Not timeless legends from astonishing dynasties.

We are so lucky to be able to bask in the living memories of those great eras. Our kids will not, alas.

Incidentally, I'm surprised that a nice, significant-seeming round-number like 50 has never been taken by any habs! Go figure.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Any other team would retire Saku Koivu's number, because of what he has meant to the franchise over the last decade- and he's basically been the only consistently good thing about it. But this is the :hlogo: Only the GREATEST players of their generation - not just of Habs' players, but in all of hockey - get their numbers in the rafters. And the only remaining player who is truly a *legend* in all of hockey is the great Patrick Roy.

And folks, enjoy these ceremonies while you can. Because for future generations of Habs fans, all honorary ceremonies (and there won't be any additional jersey retirements for a looong time after #33 goes up there) are going to be no different from what we associate with other teams - nice gestures to good hockey players on good teams. Not timeless legends from astonishing dynasties.

We are so lucky to be able to bask in the living memories of those great eras. Our kids will not, alas.

Incidentally, I'm surprised that a nice, significant-seeming round-number like 50 has never been taken by any habs! Go figure.

I think the Habs missed a couple of pre-television stars (Blake being the one that meant the most to the franchise), and then obviously guys like Vezina who had no number but a lot of the early hockey stars have been left behind.

As for current Habs, well, never say never....

Oh yeah, and sorry Tom Kostopolous, but #6 should be retired. Toe Blake deserves to be up there with everyone of the guys he coached. Heck, as a player he's right up there as well. His importance to the CH should be reflected on its own in the rafters.

I would honor some of the important coaches in the organization. Give them a banner with their name on it and the years they coached.

Two sure candidates would be Toe Blake(1955-56 to 1967-68) and Scotty Bowman(1971-72 to 1978-79).

Edited by Habsfan

No chance for Saku short of the Habs stringing together a mini-dynasty in the next few years. He'll get a big ceremony, a portrait, and a lovely parting gift at centre ice (and a long, well-deserved ovation)...but 11 will still be in circulation after he's gone. The bar is just set too high within this franchise.

Yeah, I think that after Roy, Blake should be the last one up for consideration. But I expect Roy to be the last one for many, many years. Koivu will have a slight chance if he

1) can put up atleast the numbers he did last season for the rest of his career and

2) wins a Cup with us before he retires

The cancer fight, all-time leading captain, etc will be the bulk of the argument though, not his on-ice success.

No chance for Saku short of the Habs stringing together a mini-dynasty in the next few years. He'll get a big ceremony, a portrait, and a lovely parting gift at centre ice (and a long, well-deserved ovation)...but 11 will still be in circulation after he's gone. The bar is just set too high within this franchise.

You're right, but the question is... will anyone have the balls to wear #11? I could see it being unofficially retired.

Edited by lazy26

It's a very popular number though, I'm sure many players would want it. But thne you'd think 19 would be a popular number too - I'd assume that the organization just refused to let anyone where it.

Further thought - should off-ice contributions be relevant? I don't mean charity work and that sort of thing, but rather coaching/administrative/GM duties.

We have the precedent of Savard and Gainey, but both of those guys probably deserve to have their numbers retired purely on the basis of their contributions as players.

A case such as Blake (or conceivably Carbonneau) muddies the waters a bit. Blake was an outstanding player, but I don't see him as a 'legend' on the scale of Morenz or Robinson. It's his achievements as a coach that really make us want to retire his number - am I right?

My own feeling is that off-ice contributions should not be considered in this decision, in which case Blake should no more be considered than, say, Mats Naslund or Jacques Lemaire. But I could be off-base.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber