Game Thread | Red Wings vs. Canadiens | 12/04/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team will start playing better when Koivu starts being consistently effective. As I said at the start of this thread: Habs' slumps mirror Koivu's slumps. End of story.

Note to Carbo: Streit AIN'T the player Koivu needs. Jesus, he garbled at least two odd-man rushes with Koivu as his C.

Having said that, even with Koivu firing on all cylanders, they'd still be hard-pressed to beat the Wings.

We need another offensive leader who can help to carry the team when Saks hits his inevitable extended skid. I don't know if Marleau's that guy, but his stats from the last two years suggest he has it in him, so Eklund's rumour is at least hopeful.

Regardless, I have a feeling Bob may be set to pull the trigger on a bona fide deal. I can't see Gainey tolerating this for too much longer. The need for an elite offensive player, preferably a C, is simply too glaring.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This team will start playing better when Koivu starts being consistently effective. As I said at the start of this thread: Habs' slumps mirror Koivu's slumps. End of story.

Note to Carbo: Streit AIN'T the player Koivu needs. Jesus, he garbled at least two odd-man rushes with Koivu as his C.

Having said that, even with Koivu firing on all cylanders, they'd still be hard-pressed to beat the Wings.

We need another offensive leader who can help to carry the team when Saks hits his inevitable extended skid. I don't know if Marleau's that guy, but his stats from the last two years suggest he has it in him, so Eklund's rumour is at least hopeful.

Regardless, I have a feeling Bob may be set to pull the trigger on a bona fide deal. I can't see Gainey tolerating this for too much longer. The need for an elite offensive player, preferably a C, is simply too glaring.

My God, I'm getting so sick of hearing how our slumps are a basically Koivu's fault. How about everyone else? Maybe Koivu's slumps coincide with the rest of the team coming back down to earth. Now the whole team sucked tonight, but I dont think Koivu has been playing badly. He looks pretty good out there and always creates chances. His numbers will suffer when he plays with the likes of Streit (Streit?? Really? Streit??), Slowinski, and a slumping Ryder.

I do think that this slump in particular has coincided with lacklustre play from Andrei Markov. He is an absolute catalyst, and we have sucked in the past when he has gone down too.

Bottom line, we need something more than what is the lineup now. Yah maybe its not our time yet, but we wont win it in the future with only this young core either. There needs to be a superstar scorer. I dont see one anywhere.

I really dont think Koivu's play is all that bad, his problem is he is always stuck with Ryder and Streit so even if he is playing with Higgins, it's like being on PK. Ryder and Streit have no ability with the puck. We all know Ryder has nothing going for hime xcept his snap shot, which admittably was good for 30 goals last year, but without that what is he?

Enough with the mad lines Carbo. Keep Koivu and Higgins together, and give them someone besides Streit and Ryder to play with. Chipchura or Latendresse would be my picks, Latendresse because we want him to become our Holdstromm, or Chipchura so you can have 3 serious puck controllers together.

Dandenault, Smolenski, and Begin on the 3rd line, some talent and spark there. Then throw the dogs on the 4th.

We need to generate offence, all these "balanced" lines do is like Lafleur said, produce 4th lines. Detroit isnt afraid to give their top O lines 25 minites of playtime, most teams do.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Want to know what the problem is?

It's all in his post-game conference by Carbo:

Journalist: "Carbo, some players said it's time to stop looking at the other guys and start looking at themselves in the mirror. Do you think it has come to this time where players need to call a team meeting?"

Carbo: "*bitter chuckles* I'll tell you, I'd have one a long time ago"

I'm sure Carbo was answering as an ex-player and as an ex-captain there. The team has been sliding for a while, but players have yet to call a meeting.

Why? Standards are just not the same anymore AND there isn't the same type of gutsy, accept-no-loss leaders on this team like Carbo, Roy, Muller, Chelios used to be back in the days...

I really dont think Koivu's play is all that bad, his problem is he is always stuck with Ryder and Streit so even if he is playing with Higgins, it's like being on PK.

Koivu has played with everyone: Higgins, Streit, Ryder, Smolinski, Kovy, Latendresse... He sucks regardless of whose stuck with HIM at center. He just keeps turning the puck over along the boards, can't make a pass worth crap and can't score when OTHERS feed HIM.

Also, it seems he can't call a team meeting when it's time to...

Koivu has played with everyone: Higgins, Streit, Ryder, Smolinski, Kovy, Latendresse...

Don't you think that's part of the problem right there, how is he, or anyone else for that matter supposed to get comfortable on a line when they have new linemates every other game? And you left out Dandenault, Begin, Kostopolus, etc

Edited by brboo

Koivu has played with everyone: Higgins, Streit, Ryder, Smolinski, Kovy, Latendresse... He sucks regardless of whose stuck with HIM at centre. He just keeps turning the puck over along the boards, can't make a pass worth crap and can't score when OTHERS feed HIM.

Also, it seems he can't call a team meeting when it's time to...

You are clueless..

My God, I'm getting so sick of hearing how our slumps are a basically Koivu's fault. How about everyone else? Maybe Koivu's slumps coincide with the rest of the team coming back down to earth. Now the whole team sucked tonight, but I dont think Koivu has been playing badly. He looks pretty good out there and always creates chances. His numbers will suffer when he plays with the likes of Streit (Streit?? Really? Streit??), Slowinski, and a slumping Ryder.

I do think that this slump in particular has coincided with lacklustre play from Andrei Markov. He is an absolute catalyst, and we have sucked in the past when he has gone down too.

Bottom line, we need something more than what is the lineup now. Yah maybe its not our time yet, but we wont win it in the future with only this young core either. There needs to be a superstar scorer. I dont see one anywhere.

You're right that Markov is the team's other catalyst and he's also been dogging it. Point taken.

Still, the fact is that Koivu hits extended annual skids in which he produces at under .5 PPG - basically, 4th liner production. This usually lasts 20 games or so. And these collapses coincide with team collapses. Now, there's a chicken and the egg issue - maybe Koivu starts sucking only because everyone around him does - but his numbers dip so badly that I think the correlation really points to Saks. Is this 'blaming' him for the slump? No. It's pointing out that (1) he is the primary catalyst to our entire offence, which is actually a compliment and (2) that that catalyst fails miserably for 1/3 of every season. The point is not to rag on Koivu but to argue that the team needs to add one more catalyst, and won't become more of a 'bubble' team until it does.

Unfortunately, none of the young guns - Kostityn, Higgins, or Lats in particular - have shown the slightest sign of being such catalysts or even having the potential to become one. But *blaming* players for not being more than they are strikes me as wrong-headed.

Bob has to make a move.

(The GOOD news is that when Koivu does produce, the team is a probably top-10 team; certainly that's what we are in the first and last third of season, when Saks is hot. This means that we're really only missing one key piece: that second offensive catalyst I'm talking about).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You're right that Markov is the team's other catalyst and he's also been dogging it. Point taken.

Still, the fact is that Koivu hits extended annual skids in which he produces at under .5 PPG - basically, 4th liner production. This usually lasts 20 games or so. And these collapses coincide with team collapses. Now, there's a chicken and the egg issue - maybe Koivu starts sucking only because everyone around him does - but his numbers dip so badly that I think the correlation points to Saks. Is this 'blaming' him for the slump? No. It's pointing out that (1) he is the primary catalyst to our entire offence, which is actually a compliment and (2) that catalyst fails miserably for 1/3 of every season. The point is not to rag on Koivu but to argue that the team needs to add one more catalyst, and won't become more of a 'bubble' team until it does.

Unfortunately, none of the young guns - Kostityn, Higgins, or Lats in particular - have shown the slightest sign of being such catalysts or even having the potential to become one. But *blaming* players for not being more than they are strikes me as wrong-headed.

Bob has to make a move.

(The GOOD news is that when Koivu does produce, the team is a probably top-10 team; certainly that's what we are in the first and last third of season, when Saks is hot. This means that we're really only missing one piece: that second offensive catalyst I'm talking about).

I agree with most points and no doubt we are a better team when Koivu performs. Also, no doubt we need another star, and probably a better #1 centre. I just feel that when I watch the games, Koivu's play is mainly good and when he slumps, it's because he is not getting much help around him. He makes plays most nights.

Kozed isn't clueless, but he is being unnecessarily harsh on Koivu. His judgement is probably clouded by the frustration of the loss.

I'm sure he's not clueless. But it's hard to agree with statements like "Koivu sucks" and "Koivu cant make a pass". I'm frustrated too, but why post nonsense?

Still, the fact is that Koivu hits extended annual skids in which he produces at under .5 PPG - basically, 4th liner production. This usually lasts 20 games or so. And these collapses coincide with team collapses. Now, there's a chicken and the egg issue - maybe Koivu starts sucking only because everyone around him does - but his numbers dip so badly that I think the correlation really points to Saks. Is this 'blaming' him for the slump? No. It's pointing out that (1) he is the primary catalyst to our entire offence, which is actually a compliment and (2) that that catalyst fails miserably for 1/3 of every season. The point is not to rag on Koivu but to argue that the team needs to add one more catalyst, and won't become more of a 'bubble' team until it does.

Bob has to make a move.

(The GOOD news is that when Koivu does produce, the team is a probably top-10 team; certainly that's what we are in the first and last third of season, when Saks is hot. This means that we're really only missing one key piece: that second offensive catalyst I'm talking about).

So wouldn't it make sense for everyone to direct their anger at Management, instead of Koivu?

Bob has to make a move.

With any shrewdness, it'll be a first offensive catalyst, relegating Koivu to second-line status. Or even dropping under Plex to the third line. But to get that player, I feel we have to give up a lot, especially with so many players now playing their way into untrade-able status; I'd imagine our first-rounder as well for the next draft.

Got to do something though. Be interesting if we called up Lapierre, O'Byrne, maybe one other just to try something risky, wild-card; demote someone, bench someone else, even waive someone. See if the team would respond in any way. If Halak has a dynamite game, would you consider sending Price to Hamilton for a bit, when Huet gets healthy? Especially if Price loses to Boston.

On a side note, I had heard from most accounts that Lats was doing well with Chips; and he seemed to click with Higs and Koivu. Who did he play with tonight?

PS: anyone now going to moan and say, 'Oh, it's just seven games'? It's been seven years, lads and lasses.

With any shrewdness, it'll be a first offensive catalyst, relegating Koivu to second-line status. Or even dropping under Plex to the third line. But to get that player, I feel we have to give up a lot, especially with so many players now playing their way into untrade-able status; I'd imagine our first-rounder as well for the next draft.

Got to do something though. Be interesting if we called up Lapierre, O'Byrne, maybe one other just to try something risky, wild-card; demote someone, bench someone else, even waive someone. See if the team would respond in any way. If Halak has a dynamite game, would you consider sending Price to Hamilton for a bit, when Huet gets healthy? Especially if Price loses to Boston.

On a side note, I had heard from most accounts that Lats was doing well with Chips; and he seemed to click with Higs and Koivu. Who did he play with tonight?

PS: anyone now going to moan and say, 'Oh, it's just seven games'? It's been seven years, lads and lasses.

God knows that Lapierre at centre would be better than Smolinski. Not sure our coaching and management cares as much about winning as they do about respecting vets, or even protecting the image of their investments/signings (Brisebois, Slowinski).

Sounds harsh, but really, does anyone think Lapierre and O'Byrne would be worse?