Recchi on Waivers

alexstream

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh...but shouldn't we be developing young players instead of plugging holes with struggling 40-year-olds - ?

Having said that, Recchi and Koivu are pals if memory serves and Recchi knows Montreal. Some interesting intangibles here. The idea that he could be our 'Ryder replacement' seems a bit comical though.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

name our 1st line RW in development who could come in and get around 60 pts (Recchi's production last season)

;)

He kind of played with a centre who is a little bit better than Koivu

name our 1st line RW in development who could come in and get around 60 pts (Recchi's production last season)

;)

Fair enough...but Ryder got 30 goals last season and you're ready to dump him. The point being that last year's totals may be deceptive, especially given Recchi's age and his linemates last season.

Still, when you think about it - why would this be a mistake, unless Recchi will impede the development of a young guy? Pick him up and, if he doesn't help us out of this skid, waiver him again. ^_^

;)

Careful now.

I've been getting all but death threats for saying the same thing in the last few weeks. Try not to use too much logic or reason....it scares them.

He kind of played with a centre who is a little bit better than Koivu

Sid is already known for looking to certain players all the time so that isn't a fair assumption. At least Recchi and Saku have some chemistry from the past and are friends.

i dont think Recchi well make this team any better,we already as alot of second line and thrid lines players and we need a really good first line player so it wouldnt make sense for him to come back and i remmber when he left, he was getting cut up just as bad as ryder is now by the fans, so i cant see it. but you never know.

Sid is already known for looking to certain players all the time so that isn't a fair assumption. At least Recchi and Saku have some chemistry from the past and are friends.

You are talking about almost 10 years ago when Recchi was 30 years old. The guy was not producing with the best player in the game.

If you would like to go with the assumption that he may produce because they are friends be my guest. I choose to go with Crosby is the best centre in the league and his 40 year old bones could not produce with him, Anything is possible, but I don't see much value in him.

Edited by Wamsley01

I think Smolinski has a no movement clause, I'm not sure if that prohibits waivers though.

We could definitely move/demote/waive some other players on the team though.

Nope just a NTC I would love to see him waived.

VERY interesting.

I'm a HUGE, HUGE Recchi fan, and I mean, I'd love to see him get picked up.

Problems:

-Montreal is currently sitting at 49 players under contract (I'm pretty sure) and this would bump them back up to 50. While we have the space, maybe Gainey likes the wiggle room?

-Who sits? I like Smolinski, whether he screwed up last game or not - he's a guy you don't just toss aside.

-It's all downhill for Recchi in terms of production at this point in his career. He could chip in a few solid points here and there, but I doubt he'd be brought in to put up big numbers - maybe play a more defensive or "smart" game. (Still, I'd like to see him with Higgins/Koivu).

We have the cap space and roster spot to carry an extra player if we wanted without demoting or trading any of our current players.

No Halak has been called up and Huet is not on he ir.

His cap hit is 2M...not sure what it is prorated from that. He is not producing in Pittsburgh becasue he has been playing on the 4th line all season. I would take the gamble but if possible, wait until he goes on re-entry waivers.

Why even discuss this? He's not gonna make it down to Montreal. Someone with higher waiver priority will take a chance on him, someone like the Jackets.

Heh, very true. They'd have him, Peca, and Foote. That'd be a pretty good move - veteran wise.

Heh, very true. They'd have him, Peca, and Foote. That'd be a pretty good move - veteran wise.

Especially with Modin's back situation. It doesn't seem to be getting better, he could end up being out long term. Replacing him with Recchi would be a great move.