Foxboro

Giants Stadium

Phili

Heinz Field

Michigan

Soldier Field

the new gophers outdoor stadium

Colorado

This isn't a Canada thing, hockey isn't dead and six feet under in Canada.

If Bettman sticks with this look toward the ChampCar Series and how they do their races. ChampCar does not have a tv contract and they needed to create a fan base. The new ceo's of the series decided to go to an all road course schedule because that means big crowds and playing the elements. Each race is like going to a festival. It works. They get huge crowds.

That's what the NHL in the U.S. has to do in order to survive. Create "events"

This may sound stupid...... but

that game almost seemed set up........ goes into a shootout...... Crosby scores the winner..... (The face of the game)

I dunno that was just my thought..... which is a pretty stupid thought

:B)

Edited by Shu

That was one of the least entertaining games I have watched in a very long time BORING!

I agree. You have to think that fixing the ice every 4-5 minutes took away from the flow of the game.

I watched it until the 1st stoppage to clean the ice, then turned the volume down and watched the Family Guy marathon.............

No flow at all, too many ice problems, but at least the [football] fans looked hammered!

So who will be the 1st to get sick with a cold/flu?

It's also funny that a few years back Fox had to add a tail to the puck because people watching at home couldn't see the puck/follow the play.............

The bad ice definitely took away from the game, but that's the risk you take when you are at the mercy of the weather. The game in Edmonton was much better.

I think the lesson learned from Edmonton was not to play it in the evening, so they ditched the alumni game and went to the afternoon start time.

The lesson to be learned from this is the switching ends halfway through the third period, and then OT. When they first announced that's what they were going to do, I thought they meant that at a stoppage in play halfway through the third, they'd switch ends, which they also did in OT. What I didn't expect was for them to actually stop play halfway through OT to switch ends? What would have happened if, God forbid, Crosby is going in on a break or a two on one, and just as he hits the hash marks, the clock hits 2:30 and play is blown dead? Major snafu for a league trying to expose itself to the American audience. They shouldn't have even switched ends to begin with. If this was a regular season game, it should be played as if it were at RSBC Arena.

I think if they do this again, probably in a couple of years, they should do it pre-Christmas, first or second week of December. Minnesota, Chicago, New York, Boston, Columbus, Colorado or Detroit.

I have to say, i enjoyed the last seven minutes of the games and on. (had hockey practice in the middle of it)

Many are saying that they weather wasnt good for the event, i thought it was perfect, the snow, the cold dark feeling.... thats what i imagine winter is, so i think the winter classic should be like that.

As for the stoppage in play i would alos have to go against what the majority of people are saying. As a goalie myself, i played my first outgame this year, it began to snow during the game (the game counted). I could barely see anything, i got scored on 4 times because of the snow, it really affected my play. And to give the other team an advantage like that would be unfair.

I agree with Pierre in that it should be held at a neutral location next time. I looked at the stands and it was all buffalo, i think i saw only one penguins jersey. As that might be great for Buffalo, i feel that the other team suffers from this. Not only that but they could use this to expose hockey to a city that doesnt have the privilege of having an NHL team...... Winnipeg (i still dont understand why they dont have a team)

Not only that but they could use this to expose hockey to a city that doesnt have the privilege of having an NHL team...... Winnipeg (i still dont understand why they dont have a team)

Winnipeg doesn't need to be exposed to hockey, they had an NHL team for over 2 decades. Winnipeg Jets, remember them? :lol:

Winnipeg doesn't need to be exposed to hockey, they had an NHL team for over 2 decades. Winnipeg Jets, remember them? :lol:

Funny you speak of the jets, im wearing a Jets shirt right now?

By expose i meant, bring hockey to a town that is craving hockey/ NHL. Give them a little taste of the chocolate..... ^_^

i dunno i liked it. Then again there wasn't much else on at the time. Would have been great to have clear skies oh well next year.

There wasnt much else on at the time? What about the Capital One Bowl with Michigan vs Florida. It was a great game and my team Michigan came out on top. It was also Loyd Carr's last game.

GO GLUE.

I looked at the stands and it was all buffalo, i think i saw only one penguins jersey. As that might be great for Buffalo, i feel that the other team suffers from this. Not only that but they could use this to expose hockey to a city that doesnt have the privilege of having an NHL team...... Winnipeg (i still dont understand why they dont have a team)

That's the whole point of a home game... Anyways, there was a pretty loud cheer when the Pens scored 21 seconds into the game.

P.S. The game was the highest rated regular season NHL game in over a decade, despite being up against a number of college football bowl games.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/01/viewers...s_winter_cl.php

I have to say, i enjoyed the last seven minutes of the games and on. (had hockey practice in the middle of it)

Many are saying that they weather wasnt good for the event, i thought it was perfect, the snow, the cold dark feeling.... thats what i imagine winter is, so i think the winter classic should be like that.

As for the stoppage in play i would alos have to go against what the majority of people are saying. As a goalie myself, i played my first outgame this year, it began to snow during the game (the game counted). I could barely see anything, i got scored on 4 times because of the snow, it really affected my play. And to give the other team an advantage like that would be unfair.

I agree with Pierre in that it should be held at a neutral location next time. I looked at the stands and it was all buffalo, i think i saw only one penguins jersey. As that might be great for Buffalo, i feel that the other team suffers from this. Not only that but they could use this to expose hockey to a city that doesnt have the privilege of having an NHL team...... Winnipeg (i still dont understand why they dont have a team)

With the amount of snow that was building up on the ice, guys had a lot of trouble stick-handling, and early on the Sabres said they had a tough time clearing the zone on the PK because the puck would get caught in the snow. It made it difficult to get the puck to stay flat on the ice. At one point, Crosby went in on a rush and flipped the puck in the air between the defencemen a couple of times to get it into the zone.

As for Pens fans at the game, I saw a pretty good number of jerseys in the crowd on the CBC feed and the NBC feed, but how exactly did the Pens "suffer" from it? It's a road game.

That's the whole point of a home game... Anyways, there was a pretty loud cheer when the Pens scored 21 seconds into the game.

P.S. The game was the highest rated regular season NHL game in over a decade, despite being up against a number of college football bowl games.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/01/viewers...s_winter_cl.php

probably because it was up against football games. Most of the games weren't competitive and sports fans are all channel surfing on that day. I was at a bar and grill for part of the game (in Houston) and it was on one of the screens. That doesn't usually happen around here. People I run into here talk to me about the game and usually the story is "I finished watching texas tech's comeback and flipped over to NBC for a while."

probably because it was up against football games. Most of the games weren't competitive and sports fans are all channel surfing on that day. I was at a bar and grill for part of the game (in Houston) and it was on one of the screens. That doesn't usually happen around here. People I run into here talk to me about the game and usually the story is "I finished watching texas tech's comeback and flipped over to NBC for a while."

The first half of the hockey game was up against Wisconsin vs. Tennesee, which was a competitive game, and also the Texas Tech game you mentioned. And it went head-to-head against the best game of the day, Florida vs. Michigan. Competitive games or not, this is a football country. I find it hard to believe a hockey game was pulling people away from football games.

I think the outdoor games are a good idea as long as you don't over-do it. Once a year tops. It shouldn't be allwoed to lose its status as a memorable event.

From what I understand there's been some talk about doing the same thing in Sweden.

The first half of the hockey game was up against Wisconsin vs. Tennesee, which was a competitive game, and also the Texas Tech game you mentioned. And it went head-to-head against the best game of the day, Florida vs. Michigan. Competitive games or not, this is a football country. I find it hard to believe a hockey game was pulling people away from football games.

i don't think it was pulling people away per se, but I think a lot of people were flipping channels and paused for a bit to see what was going on.