Habs Outdrew the leaves Saturday night.

Habsfan

Here's a portion of Pat hickey's column in today's Gazette. I thought it was interesting, you might find it interesting as well.

...For many years, the CBC has relegated the Habs to a minor role when it comes to scheduling games on Hockey Night in Canada.

While the Leafs have taken centre stage each Saturday, the Canadiens have been ignored or limited to regional exposure except, of course, when they've been matched against the CBC's home team, the Leafs. The network has always used the argument that the Leafs draw a larger audience than Montreal.

But the ratings for last weekend's games provides some good news for Canadiens fans outside Québec. The CBC decided to put the Canadiens-Penguins game on the national network Saturday and the game drew 1.201 million viewers, despite the absence of Pittsburgh superstar Sidney Crosby. The network's average for Leaf's game this season is 1.163 million viewers.

Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports , has said there will be more attention paid to the Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators. There are four more Canadiens games scheduled for Saturday night and it will be interesting to see how many of them will get a national audience.

It will also be interesting to see if the CBC picks up any of the four Saturday night Canadiens games not currently on the CBC Schedule.

What I'm curious about is how the ratings break down.

Is that number a total? Or total outside of Ontario?

The Leafs/Sabres game was still broadcast in the Golden Horseshoe area. If the average Leafs game, including the Golden Horseshoe area, gets less on average in total ratings than this game did the CBC might have found something very revealing.

Back when I was growing up, the Leafs were usually only on regional broadcast and the Habs got the national audience.

Is that number a total? Or total outside of Ontario?

That is a grand total for all of Canada including Southern Ontario(where the leaves game was broadcast).

Back when I was growing up, the Leafs were usually only on regional broadcast and the Habs got the national audience.

How long has it been since the CBC made the switch? Am I wrong in thinking that up until approx. 1995, it was the Habs that were on the national broadcast?

That is a grand total for all of Canada including Southern Ontario(where the leaves game was broadcast).

How long has it been since the CBC made the switch? Am I wrong in thinking that up until approx. 1995, it was the Habs that were on the national broadcast?

Well, we all know one game in 1995 was national broadcast...

I think they did a bit of a rotation once the Leafs hit the Gilmour/Burns era and then eventually the Leafs won out and became permanent. Yeah, the Roy trade probably officially killed the CBC's interest in covering the Habs.

Well, we all know one game in 1995 was national broadcast...

I think they did a bit of a rotation once the Leafs hit the Gilmour/Burns era and then eventually the Leafs won out and became permanent. Yeah, the Roy trade probably officially killed the CBC's interest in covering the Habs.

If the Habs become a top team again they will have their share of National exposure. Nobody in Western Canada gives a shit about the Sens,

but those buildings are full of habs sweaters when they hit town.

I wonder how much of that 1.2 mil are people like me who usually watch RDS but decided to go with CBC this time to get a break from Pierre et Yvon?

I wonder how much of that 1.2 mil are people like me who usually watch RDS but decided to go with CBC this time to get a break from Pierre et Yvon?

Yeah, it would be interesting to get a combined number. That must be a large disadvantage for the Habs.

Yeah, it would be interesting to get a combined number. That must be a large disadvantage for the Habs.

I'm not so sure I understand? Why would it be a disadvantage for the Habs? Wouldn'T it be the same for Leaves fans who normally watch LeafsTV instead of CBC?

I'm not so sure I understand? Why would it be a disadvantage for the Habs? Wouldn'T it be the same for Leaves fans who normally watch LeafsTV instead of CBC?

LeafsTV has no rights to Saturday NHL broadcasts in English. If LeafsTV wanted to broadcast in Italian or something on Saturdays instead of English, they could carry the Leafs game, but CBC has exclusive English language broadcast coverage of every Saturday game involving a Canadian team in the NHL.

LeafsTV has no rights to Saturday NHL broadcasts in English. If LeafsTV wanted to broadcast in Italian or something on Saturdays instead of English, they could carry the Leafs game, but CBC has exclusive English language broadcast coverage of every Saturday game involving a Canadian team in the NHL.

Ahh! Thanks!

IN any case, i don't think there are that many people who normally watch RDS who would switch to CBC. Most people who watch RDS are francophones. Why would they watch the game in a language they don't understand, when it's playing in french?

Edited by Habsfan

Ahh! Thanks!

IN any case, i don't thaere are that many people who normally watch RDS who would switch to CBC. Most people who watch RDS are francophones, why would they watch the game in a language they don't understand, when it's playing in french?

Yeah, and RDS' availability to English Canadians is pretty strong as well. I'm tickled pink that I can watch 82 Habs regular season games a year in Saskatoon with my basic cable sports package (not even on an extra sports package or a Francophone package).

Also, it should be noted that if you have multiple CBC channels (which is automatic for satellite subscribers, and part of some cable packages including mine), they don't block out regional broadcasts for HNIC on those. If a Leafs fan in Winnipeg wants to watch the Leafs when only Southern Ontario gets it (and the Habs or Sens get the majority of CBC stations), they can now watch it on CBC-Toronto if they have it available. Plus, CBC.ca streams every Canadian team game on Saturdays on their website.

It's not the same world.... there are plenty of ways to watch your favourite team at your disposal now.

It's funny that a Habs fan in Saskatoon has WAY more games available to watch of his favourite team than an Oilers, Flames, or Leafs fan does. To get Leafs TV here, I'd have to get the "extra" sports package (which I don't), and the Oilers and Flames put a fair amount of games on Pay Per View rather than on the local Sportsnet channel (Sportsnet West). ^_^ :hlogo:

It's funny that a Habs fan in Saskatoon has WAY more games available to watch of his favourite team than an Oilers, Flames, or Leafs fan does. To get Leafs TV here, I'd have to get the "extra" sports package (which I don't), and the Oilers and Flames put a fair amount of games on Pay Per View rather than on the local Sportsnet channel (Sportsnet West).

I must admit that I do find it odd that not every Canadian team has all 82 of their games available on regular cable.

The Canadiens have had all (82) of their games on TV for over a decade now. Up until a few years ago, RDS had weeknight games and Radio-Canada had Saturday Night games. Now it's all RDS, and that's fine with me.

I don't remember what it's like not being able to watch a Habs game because it wasn't on TV.

I must admit that I do find it odd that not every Canadian team has all 82 of their games available on regular cable.

The Canadiens have had all (82) of their games on TV for over a decade now. Up until a few years ago, RDS had weeknight games and Radio-Canada had Saturday Night games. Now it's all RDS, and that's fine with me.

I don't remember what it's like not being able to watch a Habs game because it wasn't on TV.

Yeah, but what I am saying is if the Leafs go National and there audience is 1.5 Million the actual number of TV viewers is 1.5 Million.

If the Habs are National and they draw 1.2 Million and they draw 500,000 on RDS they actually have an audience of 1.7 Million. But since the CBC only sells advertising to their broadcast, advertisers are more drawn to an audience of 1.5 M

over 1.2M.

So the Habs could draw a bigger audience and still be less of a draw to CBC than the Leafs.

Edited by Wamsley01

Yeah, but what I am saying is if the Leafs go National and there audience is 1.5 Million the actual number of TV viewers is 1.5 Million.

If the Habs are National and they draw 1.2 Million and they draw 500,000 on RDS they actually have an audience of 1.7 Million. But since the CBC only sells advertising to their broadcast, advertisers are more drawn to an audience of 1.5 M

over 1.2M.

So the Habs could draw a bigger audience and still be less of a draw to CBC than the Leafs.

I thik we're on the same page. I completely agree. I think we just had a little misunderstanding there! ^_^

It would be mighty hard for CBC to get some games from RDS.

Through the week day yes, but on the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) the CBC can show any Canadian Team in English including the Habs. Its a different story if the wanted to broadcast in French.

Through the week day yes, but on the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) the CBC can show any Canadian Team in English including the Habs. Its a different story if the wanted to broadcast in French.

Really....... I never knew that CBC had that power.

Really....... I never knew that CBC had that power.

With their biased selection of games, who would know?

Learn French and watch in French - or better, listen on CKAC (best coverage by far) and watch on RDS or whoever. Just make sure you turn off the radio for the post-game call-in show.

With their biased selection of games, who would know?

Learn French and watch in French - or better, listen on CKAC (best coverage by far) and watch on RDS or whoever. Just make sure you turn off the radio for the post-game call-in show.

I only have French 11 which I took in 1989, and I watch all my games on RDS. After 15 years of watching games in French, you learn to follow about 30 tp 40% of the conversation. That is enough to get by, and I find it much better than listening to CJAD. I tried playing the game on TV muted and CJAD on, but of course the delay on the radio broadcast is longer, so it didn't work.

I don't need some bias announcer to tell me what is happening, I have a good pair of eyes. To me they are a throw back to radio days and are not needed. I would prefer a game with just the arena sound. Feels more like you are there. So French or English is of no concern.

I don't need some bias announcer to tell me what is happening, I have a good pair of eyes. To me they are a throw back to radio days and are not needed. I would prefer a game with just the arena sound. Feels more like you are there. So French or English is of no concern.

Man, I loved the 2002 playoffs vs. Boston on SRC when they had a broadcasters strike. Just arena sound.