Ryan McDonagh

MAK

in french only

in an interview by Mathias Brunet, wisconsin coach Mike Eaves compared Ryan McDonagh to Mike Komisarek. Eaves coached komi in the Us development team so I'll take his words for it !!

Ce n'est donc pas le défenseur offensif typique. Mais sa façon de défendre son territoire, son positionnement, son acharnement, sa force physique, sa première passe et surtout ses nombreuses mises en échec percutantes me rappellent Komisarek. Je sais que Komisarek est plus imposant physiquement, mais McDonagh, à 205 livres, est déjà mature sur le plan physique et vous seriez surpris à quel point il est solide sur ses patins. Il aime frapper, vous verrez»

free translation:

While he may not be a true offensive player, McDonagh his well positionned, plays hard, makes a good first pass and likes to dish thundering hits. he may not be has big as komisarek but you'd be surprised how solid he is on skates.

If he really turns out as good as said here, I cant wait to see how mean our defense will be in a few years. with valentenko and maybe emelin too, WE'LL BE MEAN !!

Edited by marky_and_komi

in french only

in an interview by Mathias Brunet, wisconsin coach Mike Eaves compared Ryan McDonagh to Mike Komisarek. Eaves coached komi in the Us development team so I'll take his words for it !!

Ce n'est donc pas le défenseur offensif typique. Mais sa façon de défendre son territoire, son positionnement, son acharnement, sa force physique, sa première passe et surtout ses nombreuses mises en échec percutantes me rappellent Komisarek. Je sais que Komisarek est plus imposant physiquement, mais McDonagh, à 205 livres, est déjà mature sur le plan physique et vous seriez surpris à quel point il est solide sur ses patins. Il aime frapper, vous verrez»

free translation:

While he may not be a true offensive player, McDonagh his well positionned, plays hard, makes a good first pass and likes to dish thundering hits. he may not be has big as komisarek but you'd be surprised how solid he is on skates.

If he really turns out as good as said here, I cant wait to see how mean our defense will be in a few years. with valentenko and maybe emelin too, WE'LL BE MEAN !!

Building it from the Goalie out. That is how you win championships!

Building it from the Goalie out. That is how you win championships!

Agreed. That landed us two unexpected Cups (86 and 93) and another kick at the can (89).

Great to see how, in just 2 drafts, the Habs have refilled the D-men tank. Fischer, Carle, Valentenko in 06. McDonagh, Subban, Weber in 07. And all in a sudden our future blueline looks both mean and offensively potent.

Agreed. That landed us two unexpected Cups (86 and 93) and another kick at the can (89).

Great to see how, in just 2 drafts, the Habs have refilled the D-men tank. Fischer, Carle, Valentenko in 06. McDonagh, Subban, Weber in 07. And all in a sudden our future blueline looks both mean and offensively potent.

hehe, next draft, the likely modo will changed from "draft a dman" to draft a frikkin 1st line center!

Well, tonight on the drive back home, I heard Pierre McGuire also say that he's been hearing some very good stuff about McDonagh. Apparently there are a few scouts in the US college leagues looking at McDonagh and they are all saying that they are impressed with his game!

Let's hope that these next 2 years, the Habs will draft a SHITLOAD of big, talented forwards who can also skate well!

We should be OK in nets for the next decade and our D will be incredible(it already is starting to look very good) now we need to beef-up on the forward positions!

We should be OK in nets for the next decade and our D will be incredible(it already is starting to look very good) now we need to beef-up on the forward positions!

Hmmm... just strictly depth-chart wise, let's say our future forwards are:

Higgins - Plex - A. Kostitsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - S. Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Chipchura - D'Agostini

... Grabovski, Maxwell, White, Aubin, Russel, Fortier, etc...

Shopping list should be

1 - Big OFFENSIVE C (can play top 2 lines)

2 - Big CHECKING RW (no big RW in the system, could use one to match against top LW)

3 - Big CHECKING wingers, doesn't matter if LW or RW

#1 must have offensive upside. Wouldn't hurt if #2 and #3 also have some upside but not a necessity. We've got a good group of offensive forward who are all defensively responsible.

Not plug our D prospects and Price-Halak on top of that and it's damn exciting. Quality group from top to bottom.

Edited by KoZed

there are not much first line centre 20th oa... but i hope we can pull a Red Wings.

actually, you'd be surprised:

Getzlaf 19th

Mike Richards 24th

Patrice Bergeron 45th

Datsyuk 171st

Marc Savard 91st

Stastny 44th

Briere 24th

Gomez 27th

However, though,

Lecavalier, Thornton, Crosby, Spezza were all drafted #1

Malkin #2

Jokinen #3

Kopitar #11 (goddamn! as much as I love The Price, I can't help but envy the Kings for Kopitar! I wish it was a year in which we had 2 X 1st)

hehe, next draft, the likely modo will changed from "draft a dman" to draft a frikkin 1st line centre!

Iss top 30

unfortunately not much offense going there. alot of D prespects though

actually, you'd be surprised:

Getzlaf 19th

Mike Richards 24th

Patrice Bergeron 45th

Datsyuk 171st

Marc Savard 91st

Stastny 44th

Briere 24th

Gomez 27th

However, though,

Lecavalier, Thornton, Crosby, Spezza were all drafted #1

Malkin #2

Jokinen #3

Kopitar #11 (goddamn! as much as I love The Price, I can't help but envy the Kings for Kopitar! I wish it was a year in which we had 2 X 1st)

well, i'm not very surprised here because I knew all of this. The thing is...

Iss top 30

unfortunately not much offense going there. alot of D prespects though

I was refering to this...

I wonder how well the ISS has done predicting forward talent over the last decade or so...

The ISS isn't even 10 yrs old! If my memory served me right (I worked for Hockey's Future from 98 to 00), the ISS started after 2000.

They are fairly reliable. As far as independant scouting goes, they've catched up on the RedLine Report. They're probably better at predicting overall draft outlook; but I believe RLR has a better eye for actual talent. For example, the ISS had Latendresse rated pretty low and that's where Lats went in the draft. But RLR had Lats in the top 10 forward talents in the draft (#4 if memory serves right) and so far Lats is 4th in goals scored from the 2005 draft class behind Crosby, Statsny and Kopitar.

You can check the RLR on USAToday's site: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...1-redline_N.htm They archive the old articles going back as far as the 2004 draft. A fun read.

I think he'll become a player pretty close to Hamrlik. Mean, physical defenceman who's reliable, confidant and is good at joining the rush.