Price has new pads, blocker, catcher designs

carey31price

I'm guessing carey31price, Wamsley01 and myself are probably the only 3 guys on this board anxious to see the new equipment?! His old stuff was sorta ugly... Halak's "paws" design was cooler. I wonder if the flaming Ms are better.

Why the heck is he getting new stuff now? I remember last season when Huet got new pads it was a disaster. I'm excited to see them though :)

Price gets a new set of stuff every like 2 months...He is so big that he wares down his equipment quickly. This is his 5th set already this year alone.

Why the heck is he getting new stuff now? I remember last season when Huet got new pads it was a disaster. I'm excited to see them though :)

Price gets a new set of stuff every like 2 months...He is so big that he wares down his equipment quickly. This is his 5th set already this year alone.

YA!!!! Don't you know anything? Sheesh. :o;)

Big goalies go through pads at an alarming rate. With Price's style and his 230 pound weight...6 or 7 sets of pads a year would not surprise me. He's probably just changing the graphics and the pads/gloves themselves will be the same so no big deal...anxious to see it though.

Edited by Fat Tony

He is only changing the pattern, not the design of the pads. 5th set this year, so I am sure he knows how to break them in.

I like how he does his gloves. He steams them for 5 minutes and then they are good to go. :)

Edited by brobin

Wow, just strap a couple of twin matresses on.....there about the same size.......

and that's not a shot at Price (although with those pads my GAA would be under 4 :rolleyes: ) but rather the overall size of the equipment...............they don't even need to wear pants anymore; the pads go up to their armpits.....

The new pads look to be longer, although they are the same width. In any case, his equipment can't be bigger that J.S. Giguère's in Anaheim.

It is amazing how much smaller they are in 2 months due to the abuse he puts on them.

That side by side of the 2 pads shows a lot.

Goalie's World mentioned that he goes through equipment fast because of his size.

Big goalies go through pads at an alarming rate. With Price's style and his 230 pound weight...6 or 7 sets of pads a year would not surprise me. He's probably just changing the graphics and the pads/gloves themselves will be the same so no big deal...anxious to see it though.

They also go through knees quickly. Price is very unlikely to play into his thirties. My knees were shot by the time I was his age, mind you the pads I dropped to the ice on were a hell of alot crappier than his.

The new pads look to be longer, although they are the same width. In any case, his equipment can't be bigger that J.S. Giguère's in Anaheim.

That is the same pad, dimensions, size everything. One is 2 months old, the other is brand new.

They also go through knees quickly. Price is very unlikely to play into his thirties. My knees were shot by the time I was his age, mind you the pads I dropped to the ice on were a hell of alot crappier than his.

Roy made it to his late 30s. These guys get them custom made, not store bought with zero alterations

Roy made it to his late 30s. These guys get them custom made, not store bought with zero alterations

Roy wasn't 6'3 230 that is alot of weight coming down along way onto those knees. A better comparison is Dryden. How long did Ken's knees hold up? 8 seasons in the NHL with a year off, so really 7? Okay, the pads are better so I give him 9 seasons tops, done by thirty.

It isn't the pads so much as the sudden stop as you land on the ice in the butterfly that jars the knees. I was a butterfly goalie when it was considered improper, the early 70's. I loved Tony Espo and was always sad that we let him go. As a kid in Squirt, I remember my coaches yelling from the bench, "Close your legs! Put your stick flat on the ice!" I would reply, " No! Tony Esposito!!" Well Espo had a long carreer too, but again, unlike Price and myself he was under 6' tall.

Roy wasn't 6'3 230 that is alot of weight coming down along way onto those knees. A better comparison is Dryden. How long did Ken's knees hold up? 8 seasons in the NHL with a year off, so really 7? Okay, the pads are better so I give him 9 seasons tops, done by thirty.

Actually, I'd compare hiim to Brodeur. Marty Brodeur is 6'2" and weighs about 220. SO he's very similar to Price. Plus you can't go comparing the equipment Price wears to the crap Dryden used to wear. If Brodeur can play until 36 and Roy can play til 37, I'd say Price will play at LEAST until he's 35.

Now I agree, Brodeur doesn't use the butterfly as much, but as a goalie he still needs to go down on his knees(that just doesn't sound right :D:mellow: .

Another goalie we can compare Price to is Olaf Kolzig. He's 6'3" and weighs in at 225pds. He's 37 and still playing. He might suck, but he's still playing!

Edited by Habsfan

Actually, I'd compare hiim to Brodeur. Marty Brodeur is 6'2" and weighs about 220. SO he's very similar to Price. Plus you can't go comparing the equipment Price wears to the crap Dryden used to wear. If Brodeur can play until 36 and Roy can play til 37, I'd say Price will play at LEAST until he's 35.

Now I agree, Brodeur doesn't use the butterfly as much, but as a goalie he still needs to go down on his knees(that just doesn't sound right :D:mellow: .

Another goalie we can compare Price to is Olaf Kolzig. He's 6'3" and weighs in at 225pds. He's 37 and still playing. He might suck, but he's still playing!

Yes, but those big goalies are the exception to the rule. For every Kolzig there are two Snow's or Burke's. There is no way to predict how long his knees will hold out, but unless he is one of the exceptions, he won't last into his mid thirties.

With me it was the ligaments that gave out, too many sideways twists of the knee. I do have calcium chips floating around in there also but they tell me that is from skateboard (remember banana boards) and skiing (I was double diamond) .

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

For every Kolzig there are two Snow's or Burke's

I disagree. Garth Snow played til he was 35-36.

Burke played until he was 39 years old. Had some of his best career statistics on an average Coyotes team in the early 2000's (GAA of 2.20 and a Save% of .920)

I'd say his knees lasted well into his late 30's!

In any case, Melançon has been working with Price, and the Kid hasn'T been dropping to his knees as much or as early as he did in the beginning. Hopefully it'll help add a couple of years to his career!

Edited by Habsfan

Snow played that long? Didn't realize it. Same with Burke, actually forgot he played in Pheonix, it was that inconsequencial. Good stats plus bad results equals easily forgotten.

It isn't the pads so much as the sudden stop as you land on the ice in the butterfly that jars the knees. I was a butterfly goalie when it was considered improper, the early 70's. I loved Tony Espo and was always sad that we let him go. As a kid in Squirt, I remember my coaches yelling from the bench, "Close your legs! Put your stick flat on the ice!" I would reply, " No! Tony Esposito!!" Well Espo had a long carreer too, but again, unlike Price and myself he was under 6' tall.

Actually if I remember correctly Kenny packed it in mostly because his glove hand was reduced to mush. That and he wanted to pursue his legal career. I'm 6 foot 3 and 240 pounds, ahem, well in to my 40's, and my knees have never been a problem...the back however is another story. Melanson wants Price to be a little lighter, but big goalies have had long NHL careers.

Kolzig 6 ft 3in, 221 lbs - still playing at 37 (38 next month)

Sean Burke 6ft 4 in, 221 lbs - played until 40

Gary Smith 6ft 4in, 215 lbs - played until 35

Gart Snow 6ft 3in, 210 lbs - played until 36

I disagree. Garth Snow played til he was 35-36.

Burke played until he was 39 years old. Had some of his best career statistics on an average Coyotes team in the early 2000's (GAA of 2.20 and a Save% of .920)

I'd say his knees lasted well into his late 30's!

In any case, Melançon has been working with Price, and the Kid hasn'T been dropping to his knees as much or as early as he did in the beginning. Hopefully it'll help add a couple of years to his career!

LOL, great minds think alike...I used the same comparisons before I got to your post :-)