Einstein: Belief in God is 'childish'

Pierre the Great

Bashing religion does just that. For many people, bashing religion is bashing their whole way of life. Take revvvrob, for example. He is a preacher. He is a man devoted to God and religion. You call religion useless and childish, thus you're calling his whole life useless and childish. How would you respond if someone called your life useless?

I'm not even that religious of a person, but just because I'm not, that doesn't give me the right to tell everyone else they're wrong and I'm right. I can't understand atheists, but I don't bash them. That's their prerogative. What I take issue with is that so many of them feel the need to bash religion. Too many see any semblance of religion and take offense to it and sue. Why? Their belief doesn't offend me, so why does mine offend them?

True spirituality allows you to have enough faith and understanding to remain peaceful and stay above other people's negative views about your religion.

Otherwise, you're not really spiritual, you're just a club member.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no crap you're referencing your friends and that you were joking. That doesn't change anything. If I were to put a laughing icon next to a racist or sexist comment, does that make it alright? Of course not. Also, by implying your friends are too dumb to move past religion, you are expressly implying that other people who follow religion are stupid as well.

P.S. If you are going to criticize my reading comprehension, you should learn the difference between "your" and "you're" while you are at it.

Dude, believe what you will. I really don't care. You think I called you, or others, stupid then you can go on believing that. You can continue your life being touchy over non-issues...it's up to you. I'm going to laugh at racist, sexist, religious jokes or comments...the best ones are said by people of their own kind anyhow...I suppose you must hate on them too.

Typo's and reading comprehension are two different things btw...

Dude, believe what you will. I really don't care. You think I called you, or others, stupid then you can go on believing that. You can continue your life being touchy over non-issues...it's up to you. I'm going to laugh at racist, sexist, religious jokes or comments...the best ones are said by people of their own kind anyhow...I suppose you must hate on them too.

Typo's and reading comprehension are two different things btw...

So I take it that you're also fine with using racial slurs? Yes, there is a time and place for racist, sexist, etc. jokes. When you are among friends who know you are just joking and don't really mean it. A public forum such as this, is not the place, whether you use little icons or not. Nobody here knows you well enough to know that you're not just putting up an icon to use it as an excuse to say hateful things.

The difference between "your" and "you're" is a grammatical error, not just a typo. And for the record, the plural of "typo" is "typos." "Typo's" implies that something belongs to the typo. :lol: Sure, call me the grammar police, but you brought up the English lesson.

Just the fact that you try to put religion on the same table as hockey or peanuts is ridiculous. Religion is something that is very

Okay, I've thought about this, and you can put religion with hockey. Stop looking at this from the religion point of view, step back and see it as a third person.

Okay, I've thought about this, and you can put religion with hockey. Stop looking at this from the religion point of view, step back and see it as a third person.

Sure, Hockey IS my religion...

So I take it that you're also fine with using racial slurs? Yes, there is a time and place for racist, sexist, etc. jokes. When you are among friends who know you are just joking and don't really mean it. A public forum such as this, is not the place, whether you use little icons or not. Nobody here knows you well enough to know that you're not just putting up an icon to use it as an excuse to say hateful things.

The difference between "your" and "you're" is a grammatical error, not just a typo. And for the record, the plural of "typo" is "typos." "Typo's" implies that something belongs to the typo. :lol: Sure, call me the grammar police, but you brought up the English lesson.

Racial slurs? Now you are implying that I make racial slurs? If you can't figure it out then just stop commenting on it. In your own sentence you have "okayed" a racist/sexist joke...none of which I've made here btw...but apparently I'm a bad guy because you implicate me as being a racist without even making a racist comment? Look in the mirror...congratulations, you're fitting right into the stereotypical hypocrite.

You have a right to your religion. I have a right to think religion is useless. I also have a right to make a MINOR effin joke that my friends aren't smart enough to find enough scientific explainations to explain away a god figure. If you found the joke in poor taste then good for you...I don't see it that way and when they first read it I doubt most people would have taken any issue.

You can twist comments all you like about grammer or spelling as I'm not proof reading my posts...it doesn't change my comments about comprehension. I'm sure there are more then a few grammatical errors in most of the postings either of us make.

Racial slurs? Now you are implying that I make racial slurs? If you can't figure it out then just stop commenting on it. In your own sentence you have "okayed" a racist/sexist joke...none of which I've made here btw...but apparently I'm a bad guy because you implicate me as being a racist without even making a racist comment? Look in the mirror...congratulations, you're fitting right into the stereotypical hypocrite.

I never implied such a thing. I simply made a statement of logic. You mentioned that you think racial jokes are ok. That would imply you think racial slurs are ok. I never accused you of actually using racial slurs.

When you are among friends who know you are just joking and don't really mean it. A public forum such as this, is not the place, whether you use little icons or not. Nobody here knows you well enough to know that you're not just putting up an icon to use it as an excuse to say hateful things.

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=15376

In this thread a poster makes a comment about a young prospect, a friend of another poster, saying they "will be a bust"...then uses some icons to show he's joking...

I suppose you would clasify this as people believing someone is using an icon as an excuse to say hateful things...

Is it any different? If the original poster, who is a friend of this prospect, was as touchy as you then they would be just as irate as you appear to be...perhaps we should just eliminate friendly little laughing icons that have been designed to denote just such a thing as a joke, sarcasm, or other such "tones" that often don't come through in simple text. Or maybe you're simply advocating censorship at a higher level...

I never implied such a thing. I simply made a statement of logic. You mentioned that you think racial jokes are ok. That would imply you think racial slurs are ok. I never accused you of actually using racial slurs.

So, would you say that implying something out of your comments is a breakdown of common logic or comprehension? Seems similar to what I've said about you, implying that I've made some sort of comment about people who believe in religion in general...

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"Blessed are the Pure in Heart, for they shall see GOD" - Jesus

If you are not pure of heart than you do not understand what it is to believe or have ultimate faith in I AM. You can be a good compassionate person and still not be pure of heart. You may not even understand what you have to give up to be pure of heart. And you may not care at all which is one persons choice.

Knocking, attacking, abusing ones belief in a higher being is just not pleasant for those of us that do believe. People that believe are not better than those that do not have purity in heart. They just go through life differently on a path that requires hard work at fighting sin and temptation. Quotes from supposed self important people have no bearing on factual evidence of the truth behind faith and religion. einstein obviously was not pure of heart and is now paying for his spreading of false doctorine.

It would have been easy for Einstein to find religion if he was not so self important: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” - Jesus

If you are not pure of heart than you do not understand what it is to believe or have ultimate faith in I AM. You can be a good compassionate person and still not be pure of heart. You may not even understand what you have to give up to be pure of heart. And you may not care at all which is one persons choice.

Knocking, attacking, abusing ones belief in a higher being is just not pleasant for those of us that do believe. People that believe are not better than those that do not have purity in heart. They just go through life differently on a path that requires hard work at fighting sin and temptation. Quotes from supposed self important people have no bearing on factual evidence of the truth behind faith and religion. einstein obviously was not pure of heart and is now paying for his spreading of false doctorine.

It would have been easy for Einstein to find religion if he was not so self important: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” - Jesus

:lol: and you think Einstein didn't seek ? The guy discovered more thing in life than the number of times I said "Go Habs Go" last season... I think he just knew on wich doors he should knock.

:lol: and you think Einstein didn't seek ? The guy discovered more thing in life than the number of times I said "Go Habs Go" last season... I think he just knew on wich doors he should knock.

You obviously read what you wanted to read and do not understand why I used the quotes. Einstein may have sought something, but in the end did not find the truth as many of us see it. I knew a brilliant scientist who lived next door to me that was really dumb in some things. Ever see a guy shovel the snow in his driveway with a garden rake.... :blink:

What you define as life discoveries by Einstein I catagorize as science. If you think life is just Einsteins theorys and ramblings that is your right. I would challenge you to go out and discover what is really important though. My suggestion would be Family, friendships, personal goals. I think you would be amazed at things you would discover that you thought you already knew.

I find keeping an open mind about life and why we are here helps keep my emotions in check when posting on boards. I find this board interesting but the different views on subjects here can really go off topic. There is one fact that most would agree on. Our Lounge Lizard Pierre knows how to create a buzz with his explosive topics....

"No, no Kettle. YOU are black." -Pot

Edited by Colin

"No, no Kettle. YOU are black." -Pot

:blink:

Wow. Stunning. AMAZING!

You do have a point. Bashing non-belief is the same as bashing belief.

I don't understand the religion debate. It's like music (if you'll allow the tenuous comparison). The fact that one likes the Spice Girls/ Led Zepplin/ Kid Rock and another doesn't is completely personal. Who is anyone to tell someone else what to believe.

I hereby declare that loving the Canadiens is patently stupid and therefore the lot of you are morons. :rolleyes:

Belief is a personal state of mind, not a area of denigration. To tell someone what to believe or that their beliefs are incorrect is arrogant presumption - at best. If you're religious, great. If you aren't, fantastic. I don't care. Just don't tell someone what to believe or tell then that their beliefs are wrong. And since it's so personal, everyone should treat any belief with *respect*.

Even if that person believes the Leafs will win the Cup next year.

Belief is a personal state of mind, not a area of denigration. To tell someone what to believe or that their beliefs are incorrect is arrogant presumption - at best. If you're religious, great. If you aren't, fantastic. I don't care. Just don't tell someone what to believe or tell then that their beliefs are wrong. And since it's so personal, everyone should treat any belief with *respect*.

I guess I don't mind that as far as a god in the gaps of human knowledge.

You do have a point. Bashing non-belief is the same as bashing belief.

I agree. Why can't we all just get along? I'm not religious so I don't believe in Jesus in the religious sense, but no matter if he (the historical Jesus) existed or not and no matter if the Biblical Jesus existed or not, I still consider him the best role-model imaginable. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jesus love everyone? If more people, whether religious or not, would behave more like that, this'd be a much better planet to live on.

That said, I probably have a lot of prejudice incorrect views about religious people, just as I feel many religious people look at me and my non-faith (or atheism or whatever you want to call it) unfairly. One thing I think sucks is this holier-than-thou attitude that some religious people shove in your face. Just because I'm not a Christian doesn't mean I can't be a good and moral person. Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on anything moral and decent. Decency and the right morals is something all religions and cultures have in common (well, most of them anyway, and to some extent anyway).

Even if that person believes the Leafs will win the Cup next year.

Blasphemy! REPORTED!

;)

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

You obviously read what you wanted to read and do not understand why I used the quotes. Einstein may have sought something, but in the end did not find the truth as many of us see it. I knew a brilliant scientist who lived next door to me that was really dumb in some things. Ever see a guy shovel the snow in his driveway with a garden rake.... :blink:

What you define as life discoveries by Einstein I catagorize as science. If you think life is just Einsteins theorys and ramblings that is your right. I would challenge you to go out and discover what is really important though. My suggestion would be Family, friendships, personal goals. I think you would be amazed at things you would discover that you thought you already knew.

I find keeping an open mind about life and why we are here helps keep my emotions in check when posting on boards. I find this board interesting but the different views on subjects here can really go off topic. There is one fact that most would agree on. Our Lounge Lizard Pierre knows how to create a buzz with his explosive topics....

No. I really think your quote makes no sense. I don't think Einstein was the kind of guy to ignore a huge concept as Religion. He might have think about it a lot before he decided the value he would allow it. I think he opened that door and slamed it.

I agree. Why can't we all just get along? I'm not religious so I don't believe in Jesus in the religious sense, but no matter if he (the historical Jesus) existed or not and no matter if the Biblical Jesus existed or not, I still consider him the best role-model imaginable. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jesus love everyone? If more people, whether religious or not, would behave more like that, this'd be a much better planet to live on.

That said, I probably have a lot of prejudice incorrect views about religious people, just as I feel many religious people look at me and my non-faith (or atheism or whatever you want to call it) unfairly. One thing I think sucks is this holier-than-thou attitude that some religious people shove in your face. Just because I'm not a Christian doesn't mean I can't be a good and moral person. Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on anything moral and decent. Decency and the right morals is something all religions and cultures have in common (well, most of them anyway, and to some extent anyway).

Blasphemy! REPORTED!

;)

I agree with this post. Maybe not that Jesus was THE best role model imaginable but I think that is perfectly fine for some people to believe in religion for guidance or because it makes them feel better about themselves or other things like that. What I don't buy are the extremists who tell atheists "I feel sorry for you, I hope you change and Jesus saves you one day." Comments like this just nail in the point even further: it really doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not - and it's become so big that it doesn't really matter if he does exist or not - what's important is WHY you're opinion is whatever it is. In my books, someone who is religious for the right reasons is better than someone who is atheist for the wrong reasons while someone who is atheist for the right reasons trumps someone who's religious for the wrong reasons.

(Personally, I don't believe in God and never will unless he were to march up my garden path and ring my doorbell.)

My main reason for believing in God is that I simply find it much more plausible that some greater being created the universe than the big bang theory. My big problem with the big bang theory is what exploded? If nothing existed, how could nothing explode? And why would an explosion of nothing create vast quantities of matter, something which science tells us can be neither created nor destroyed? It just seems much more likely that some being on a higher plane of existence brought the universe into existence.

My main reason for believing in God is that I simply find it much more plausible that some greater being created the universe than the big bang theory. My big problem with the big bang theory is what exploded? If nothing existed, how could nothing explode? And why would an explosion of nothing create vast quantities of matter, something which science tells us can be neither created nor destroyed? It just seems much more likely that some being on a higher plane of existence brought the universe into existence.

I don't think either theory is any more probable than the other. People say that God created himself. Is that not a similar problem to the universe creating itself? How can something that doesn't exist create something?

I just don't see magic entering the equation. Is believing that some freak explosion resulted in the Earth's creation any more far-fetched than believing a non-existent being created himself out of thin air and then created the world using magical never-before-seen powers? They both sound crazy but until either of them has any proof, I will definitely stick with science before I start believing in superhuman powers and fairy tales (Jonah being swallowed by a whale and residing in his stomach for 3 days before being spat out and going on with his life, Moses splitting open the Red Sea, Jesus walking on water, etc, I could give you a dozen other examples and I'm sure you know all about them.)

What I think happened was a few people found a some ancient novel and took it as reality and that that's how the ball got rolling. From there, everything was exaggerations - e.g. Jesus knows how to swim in a time where nobody knows how to swim: he can walk on water, it starts raining frogs (believe it or not, this DOES happen in real life) and people say Moses inflicted one of his plagues on Egypt, etc... That's a lot easier for me to believe.